Sci-Fi Gears Of War (movie)

Robby

Helper Bot
The hordes of "Gears of War" fans who have clamored for a big-screen adaptation have something to celebrate today, besides a really sweet head stomp. After years of uncertainty, the "Gears of War" movie is back on track with producer Scott Stuber.

Variety reports that after an intense bidding war for the rights to the mega-popular Xbox franchise, Stuber, who recently produced "Ted" and "Batteship," walked away as the victor.

With a major studio producer backing the adaptation, "Gears of Wars" is closer to becoming a reality than any time since 2007.

Six years ago, "Total Recall" remake director Len Wiseman attempted to bring the Cog and Locust to movie theaters with New Line Cinema. Wiseman eventually left the project, which sputtered out from there.

The renewed effort to bring "Gears of War" to the big screen adds it to a growing list of developing adaptations that include Michael Fassbender's "Assassin's Creed," Tom Hardy in "Splinter Cell," and the "Ratchet and Clank" movie.

This iteration of "Gears of War" is far from a sure thing. Stuber is a serious producer, so it's worth putting faith in his ability to get a hot property made into a movie, but as we saw with the Wiseman attempt, things can fall apart easily. Let us not forget Neill Blomkamp's "HALO."

(via MTV)

In 2010, the movie started having problems when Wiseman left production and budget was cut.
At Comic-Con 2010, Cliff alluded that the film was being rewritten for the big screen and that he expected the film to be done sometime in 2012.

Today I searched IMdb for the placeholder and found it STILL in development
Gears of War - IMDb

The above quotes come from the Film entry at Gearspedia (a wikia)
the story has been scaled back from an epic to a straight forward invasion

Plot Summary:
Based on Epic Games' award-winning video game. The game thrusts players into humankind's epic battle for survival against the Locust Horde, a nightmarish race of creatures that surface from the bowels of the planet. The story unfolds as a ragtag group of soldiers use every last ounce of strength to survive the onslaught from the forces of evil, which begins on the historic Emergence Day.

The sheer lack of current information leads me to believe this movie has been shelved indefinately.

I think this one won't ever be made. The games, when played in Campaign Mode, are already kind of a movie so I suspect fans would be disappointed with a movie version.

Anybody remember the Doom movie? :o_O:

Who knows anymore? Hollyrock is bound to greenlight it eventually.
There are lots of movies in "Development Hell" that I would love to see made.

Here we are 10 years later and Netflix is still talking about making a movie. I'm a GoW fan and have played the games but I can't help but think that the momentum for a big-budget movie has come & gone. My guess, from the most recent Netflix PR, is that it'll be a modestly budgeted movie meant to hype up the franchise so that they can succeed with the real goal of an animated series and GoW main storyline spinoff projects.

A new Gear has joined the fight. Screenwriter Jon Spaihts has been tapped to adapt the acclaimed gaming saga Gears of War into a previously announced live-action movie.

Gears of War follows humanity’s last stand against the Locust Horde, a monstrous threat from below. Led by disgraced sergeant Marcus Fenix, a ragtag fire team known as Delta Squad is the only thing defending what’s left of society from total collapse as they face the enemy on the hostile planet Sera.

“Gears of War is one of the all-time great action games, with vivid characters, a beautifully designed world and a combat system that drives home the lethality of war and the importance of standing by your squadmates,” Spaihts told Netflix. “It wants to be cinema, and I’m thrilled to have the chance to help that happen.”

Spaihts knows a thing or two about civilizations fighting for their existence across remote worlds. He previously penned the script for Ridley Scott’s Prometheus and adapted Frank Herbert’s Dune for Denis Villeneuve’s Oscar-nominated film, which returns for a second installment later this year.

The upcoming film will be produced in partnership with The Coalition, the developer behind the Gears of War games. “We’re thrilled to partner with Jon and the Netflix team to bring Gears of War to life,” the video game developer told Netflix. “Jon is a master storyteller with a talent for creating epic science-fiction universes and he truly loves Gears of War. We couldn’t ask for a better partner to honor our franchise and deliver an authentic story to our fans.”

The live-action film will be followed by an adult animated series, with the potential for more stories to follow. Gear up — this fight is just the beginning.

Back