Action 10,000 BC (2008)

BudBrewster

Captain
1000020BC.jpg

I was ready to love this one. I had my own ideas about a story set in the Ice Age, with all those cool critters that the primitive people had to deal with to keep fresh meat on the dinner table, way back before refrigerators were invented because there just wasn’t any demand for them yet.

In fact, a couple chapters in an unpublished book I wrote for elementary school kids (called The Fabulous Adventures of Me!) had two time-traveling 5th graders visit and a tribe of Ice Age Indians. I was a teacher at the time, and I made copies for my students, just to test it out.

They loved it. :D

Call me vain, but I think I did a little better than Roland Emmerich, who produced, wrote, and directed this yarn about what we used to call "cave men", back when we put them with dinosaurs without blinking an eye.

This movie puts them with sabre toothed tigers and woolly mammoths and pretty much the same shenanigans as the old cavemen-with-dinosaurs movies . . . until a wandering group of them discover an Egyptian-like civilization ruled by a survivor from Atlantis who has everybody convinced he's a god.

You know, that old gambit . . .

I didn't enjoy it much the first (and only) time I saw it, but I should probably give it another chance.

This movie puts them with sabre toothed tigers and woolly mammoths and pretty much the same shenanigans as the old cavemen-with-dinosaurs movies . . . until a wandering group of them discover an Egyptian-like civilization ruled by a survivor from Atlantis who has everybody convinced he's a god.
I kind of remember the commercials for this one but never would I have had guessed that it involved what you described.

Your description actually makes me want to watch it a bit. :D

If your expectations are adjusted a bit and you know what you're going to get, it's probably an enjoyable movie. The special effects are well done (naturally), but I was just disappoint that it wasn't what I wanted a story about Ice Age Indians to be about.