12 Lessons from WoW

Lesson 6 was particularly interesting, but he didn't mention how to circumvent the problem at hand.

I have a feeling Bioware's got a trick up its sleeve for that issue.

All interesting, valid points. Yeah, maybe he IS a money grubber.. But the fact is, anyone with a business will be. It makes the business more pleasurable that it is something the person can enjoy doing, but there's a price tag on that product for a reason.

Lesson 6 was particularly interesting, but he didn't mention how to circumvent the problem at hand.

I have a feeling Bioware's got a trick up its sleeve for that issue.

Possibly. Bioware is known for their narrative content. It seems pretty clear though whatever they are making, it won't be a sandbox type MMO.

He then suggested something even more controversial -- "Let 'em quit." He warned of making promises for features in patches that would never come to fruition (or do so far down the line the promises don't matter anymore.) "City Of Heroes taught me this before WoW -- a game that you finished and felt good and you'd re-up." But with other games "they quit because they'd stayed too long... the only way for them to escape was to demonize the game."

His personal experience is that he'll drop in and out of WoW at a whim with no ill feeling. However, he didn't think it was relevant that WoW doesn't delete inactive characters -- the "namespace" freed by deleting characters makes them worth deleting. He warned gamers get dissatisfied "if it takes more than three tries before they can have a name that they want."

Hear that Simu... Read it, learn it, live it, love it.

That whole article actually made me rather sad for the future of MMOs :/ If what the buisness has learned from WoW is "make it easier, faster and with even less group content" ... I think I'll go back to text RP.

Code:
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

> what is a grue? 
The grue is a sinister, lurking presence in the dark places of the earth.
Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered
by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and
few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.

~Zork~

grue.jpg

Grue? No?

Ah ... Zork XD

GameTap has all the Zorks you know, I had fun going through them a bit again, notebook in my lap to make the maps.

... and yet again Nav comes up with something that makes me think "Where the hells does he find this stuff?"

Empty threats don't work and you can't just keep a bunch of puppies in a box for the eventuality of lost children...

now a sign that says, "You lose it, we see how high we can make it bounce" would work. LOL

For the most part I agree with what he said. As for the pvp though , while strong pvp is good in a game over emphasizing it can be bad. As of late ( this year) WoW is making some mistakes trying to find ways to please more of the player base by listening to player feedback. The problem with that is most players just don't give feedback. Almost everyone I meet in WoW ( yes I went back lol) says they don't like having pvp forced on them. Battle grounds and arenas sure, even dueling and flagging but the business of making it easy for single players to wipe out a village and thus ruin game play for those who need to use those village npc characters (inn keepers , merchants, trainers, quest npc's), is getting out of hand. I ask players I meet and they all say in one way or another that they think WoW has lost touch with the majority of players and is catering to a minority.

Back