Politics 2004 Presidential Election

This proves nothing about style and substance. Kerry lost this election becasue he had no clear platform other than "Im not Bush". Furthermore, there was no voter fraud, there was no election stealing like Gore tried in 2000. Kerry had no substance. This is typical liberal elitism, to say that Bush won becasue people are stupid and were mislead, not becasue, god forbid, the democratic campaign was flawed.

tippinlover said:
I personally have no problem with the windsurfing and manicures, but I could certainly see why most people in the country wouldn't identify with a man that does these activities...
[post="1062026"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
Neither man is from the common folks. Both had silver spoon upbringings with elite schools and doors busted open for them by family influence or money. Their styles are just different. Kerry probably lost points for not being a raging extrovert in a country where more thoughtful types are mistook to be unfriendly and boring.

I don't know that being smarter necessarily makes a better president. Jimmy Carter was probably one of the smartest men ever in the white house, but he couldn't manage and delegate. There are different kinds of intelligences. One important thing is picking the right advisors.

Debating the "smartness" of past and present presidents is splitting hairs. There has never been and never will be a dumb president. It is utterly impossible to climb so high on the hirearchy of life without an ioda of intelligence. Clinton was a rhodes scholar, Carter was smart (though he was in WAY over his head), and Bush is no dummy. How many times have you graduated college?

Bush has reinforced his image of not exactly being a scholar with these kind of remarks, from his Yale commencement speech in 2001:

"C students -- you too can be president."

"A Yale degree is worth a lot, as I often remind Dick Cheney, who studied here but left a little early. If you graduate Yale, you get to become president. If you drop out, you get to be vice president."

So perhaps he is a bit to blame for the image that he isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer.

AliasHombre said:
This proves nothing about style and substance.  Kerry lost this election becasue he had no clear platform other than "Im not Bush".  Furthermore, there was no voter fraud, there was no election stealing like Gore tried in 2000.  Kerry had no substance.  This is typical liberal elitism, to say that Bush won becasue people are stupid and were mislead, not becasue, god forbid, the democratic campaign was flawed.
[post="1062175"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Excuse me? Gore trying to steal the election?! It was Bush who actually stole it!

SiriCerasi said:
Excuse me? Gore trying to steal the election?! It was Bush who actually stole it!
[post="1062461"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
Bulls***. You can't present evidence of disenfranchised minorities, or voter intimidation. Gore lost the election, and then tried to steal it in the courts. Thats what it means to steal an election.

ephian said:
Bush has reinforced his image of not exactly being a scholar with these kind of remarks, from his Yale commencement speech in 2001:

"C students -- you too can be president."

"A Yale degree is worth a lot, as I often remind Dick Cheney, who studied here but left a little early. If you graduate Yale, you get to become president. If you drop out, you get to be vice president."

So perhaps he is a bit to blame for the image that he isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer.
[post="1062440"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
Naw...I think thats more of his sense of humor, not him being a dumbass.

AliasHombre said:
Bulls***.  You can't present evidence of disenfranchised minorities, or voter intimidation.  Gore lost the election, and then tried to steal it in the courts.  Thats what it means to steal an election.
[post="1063566"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
in the documentary "Unprecedented" they discuss how a list of felons was compiled to keep them from voting. there was an email sent in the corporation that compiled the list saying that they were trying to throw as wide a net as possible, not be exact. many hundreds of people, black citizens especially, were wrongly kept from voting, and african-americans overwhelmingly support democrats. when the election was won by 527 votes, well, there's your election folks.

xdancer said:
in the documentary "Unprecedented" they discuss how a list of felons was compiled to keep them from voting.  there was an email sent in the corporation that compiled the list saying that they were trying to throw as wide a net as possible, not be exact. many hundreds of people, black citizens especially, were wrongly kept from voting, and african-americans overwhelmingly support democrats. when the election was won by 527 votes, well, there's your election folks.
[post="1063707"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
The truth is that white felons were twice as likely to be purged from the list.
Not to mention 80,000+ military absentee ballots not counted.

AliasHombre said:
The truth is that white felons were twice as likely to be purged from the list. 
Not to mention 80,000+ military absentee ballots not counted.
[post="1064417"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
that's not what that documentary said. it said blacks were targeted. and i've never heard a number as high as 80,000 military absentee ballots, but it's entirely possible you're right.

I've always thought it best if the court could have set a standard for examining the ballots and then have a statewide recount. I'd sacrifice a little time for more certainty.

That is soo funny!! :lol:

there was no election stealing like Gore tried in 2000.

That is the most hilarious thing I've heard all morning. Election stealing? Oh yeah, because Gore became President. I get a kick out of the Bush voters who are so arrogant to say "That'll teach those Northern Liberals a lesson" Really? Where was this country founded? Philadelphia and Boston. You really want to show us? That's fine, just don't even think about coming to see the Liberty Bell. Being a Philly native, I've got no problem with that.

Mrs_Jack_Bristow said:
That is the most hilarious thing I've heard all morning. Election stealing? Oh yeah, because Gore became President.
[post="1069476"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
He tried to steal the election. He failed

Mrs_Jack_Bristow said:
That is the most hilarious thing I've heard all morning. Election stealing? Oh yeah, because Gore became President. I get a kick out of the Bush voters who are so arrogant to say "That'll teach those Northern Liberals a lesson" Really? Where was this country founded? Philadelphia and Boston. You really want to show us? That's fine, just don't even think about coming to see the Liberty Bell. Being a Philly native, I've got no problem with that.
[post="1069476"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
i think you'd enjoy this letter

Back