Politics 2004 Presidential Election

spymaster said:
Bush has been a very good source of jokes for me, now Kerry finally makes me laugh, kinda.  :lol:  ;)   Not as good as the Bush/Kerry slash in the New Yorker though. 

John Kerry, the novel
[post="1067941"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
Very funny. :cool:

People are chatting/arguing *cough* about the 2000 election? Hmm. When a politician says Bush wasn't elected in 2000 I'm aggrevated. Yeah. I don't hear or trust what they say after that. Both sides can dig up 'facts.' I just don't like the pettiness that seems to take over.

i think you'd enjoy this letter
That's fantastic!! :lol: :lol:

Dubya's Wonderful World

Don't know much about history
Don't know much foreign policy
Don't remember how I got through school
I'm sure I didn't break the rules
But what's it matter 'cause my granny says
"Boy, if you want to you can be the prez
And what a wonderful world this will be"

Don't know much about the women's vote
Don't know much about the bill I wrote
Don't know much about the foreign vets
I've never voted for 'em yet
But I do know if your dad tries hard
He can get you in the National Guard
And what a wonderful place that can be

Now I never claimed to be an A student
But what's wrong with C's?
And maybe by knowing the names of my cabinet
I can win their love for me

Don't know much about air pollution
Don't know much about the constitution
Don't know much about th'economy
It never much affected me
But there's one thing that I know for sure
If the rich stay rich and the poor stay poor
What a wonderful world this will be

Don't know much about the national debt
I've never had to pay one yet
If we need to we can sell the States
To the Japanese at discount rates
But I do know if things get bad
Dick and I can always call my dad
And what a wonderful world this will be

xdancer said:
that's not what that documentary said.  it said blacks were targeted.  and i've never heard a number as high as 80,000 military absentee ballots, but it's entirely possible you're right.
Unfortunately documentarys and news often distort the facts or get them wrong. I'm not commenting on whether the 'facts' here are distorted just that I find myself frustrated in finding sources to trust.

National Public Radio and Frontline seem mostly reliable. Charlie Rose is the most trustworthy reporter in the world. He talks to and challenges all sides where most news people act like they believe anything the person they interview say.

Mrs_Jack_Bristow said:
I LOVE that song!!!!!!! :lol:
Becuase you're still bringing up the 2000 election and how Gore tried to steal it, get over it already.
[post="1070898"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
Ohh i want to punch the screen. Theres a reason that election has not been laid to rest. Its the same reason that part of this country is now defined by a seething rage and hatred towards Bush. Most people on the dems side still think they won, their ideas won. They cant get over it, and thats why it is brought up so much.

Most people on the dems side still think they won, their ideas won. They cant get over it, and thats why it is brought up so much.

Most? Maybe the ones you talk to, but I think that's a broad generalization. Most democrats I know, including myself, are over it. I can't stand Al Gore so really I'm not passionate about it, I voted for him, but I've never liked him.

Its the same reason that part of this country is now defined by a seething rage and hatred towards Bush.

Really? A seething hatred? Do we see him being burned in effigy outside the White House? No, and trust me, I know, I work across the street. Do we see him burned in effigy across from the Capitol Building or anyplace else? No we don't. You want to know what "seething hatred" is, take a trip to Israel, or talk to some Republicans who have spent 12 years obsessing over their seething hatred towards Bush's predecessor, who stand outside book stores during his book signing, taking a full day off work, just to protest him being INSIDE the store, or who launch plans to build an "anti" library, now that my friend, is some seething hatred.

Mrs_Jack_Bristow said:
A seething hatred? Do we see him being burned in effigy outside the White House? You want to know what "seething hatred" is, take a trip to Israel, or talk to some Republicans who have spent 12 years obsessing over their seething hatred towards Bush's predecessor, who stand outside book stores during his book signing, taking a full day off work, just to protest him being INSIDE the store, or who launch plans to build an "anti" library, now that my friend, is some seething hatred.
I don't see seething hatred, but people tend to make knee-jerk nasty anti-Bush remarks around here. It makes me tired. I'm in deep blue country. Maybe the reverse happens in the red states.

Clinton had wonderful political gifts. He had the first mandate in fifty years to do something about the health care fiasco in this country. That he messed that up matters to me more than white water or 'that woman.'

Bill Mohr makes a comment that the 911 terrorists weren't cowards, and he loses his show. Arlen Spector's comment that candidates with a 'mission' to end abortion won't become judges gets him attacked. People took their comments out of context, ignored how they sounded when they commented, and beat them over the head. I have to wonder what the motivation is for making something mean more than the speaker meant it to.

AliasHombre said:
Just walk down the halls of my school.  Listen to a social studies class, the teachers, 90% of the students.  Thats seething hatred
[post="1071446"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Hmm..well I'm sorry you have to hear that, but you can't just assume all the Democrats are like that just based on your middle/high school bubble. I take it you're rather young, and you're very passionate about your opinions, and that's awesome. But you seem to be very one sided and not able to listen to much of what the other side says, and you'll learn to be more open minded as you get older, trust me, I've been there, just like you. I've been debating with you a few days and you've practically ignored every thing I've said to dispute your "facts" and really that's sad, I've just been trying to have a friendly discussion here. I'm much older than you, I've sen a lot more, I live in the center of all of this and I'm much more open minded. Being one sided and close minded gets you nowhere in life.

AliasHombre said:
Just walk down the halls of my school.  Listen to a social studies class, the teachers, 90% of the students.  Thats seething hatred
[post="1071446"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Just because someone thinks Bush is a bad president, that doesn't mean they hate him, they just disagree with his policies. I think Bush has made a lot of mistakes (with the war, the environment, tax cuts, and education to name a few,) but I don't feel a "seething hatred" toward him.

ms.katejones said:
Just because someone thinks Bush is a bad president, that doesn't mean they hate him, they just disagree with his policies. I think Bush has made a lot of mistakes (with the war, the environment, tax cuts, and education to name a few,) but I don't feel a "seething hatred" toward him.
[post="1071555"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Thank you, that's exactly what I was just trying to say. I think this kid's definition of "seething hatred" is misconstrued. People had a "seething hatred" towards Yitzhak Rabin and they killed him, that's how I define it.

ms.katejones said:
[post="1071555"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
Most kids at school have no idea what Bush has or has not done, they only hate him. They call him a nazi. i cannot tell you how many times he has been called a nazi.

And no, i know what seething hatred is, becasue i feel it for some people, yet i dont have the urge to kill anyone.

Most kids at school have no idea what Bush has or has not done, they only hate him. They call him a nazi. i cannot tell you how many times he has been called a nazi.

Wow, that's really bad. But you know, I don't even know if half these kids even know what a Nazi is. I experienced quite a bit of anti semitism in high school (I'm Jewish) and I don't really think it was because these kids hated Jews or just because they thought it was cool to draw swastikas and the like, they thought it was "cool"

My experience is that people hate Bush too...And I'm in law school, so I can't say it's a bunch of teenagers...I'm talking grown, educated adults who tell me that they would trip him if they saw him walking down the street...

And even though I laugh when they say that, they are dead serious...

Mrs_Jack_Bristow said:
Wow, that's really bad. But you know, I don't even know if half these kids even know what a Nazi is. I experienced quite a bit of anti semitism in high school (I'm Jewish) and I don't really think it was because these kids hated Jews or just because they thought it was cool to draw swastikas and the like, they thought it was "cool"
[post="1071692"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
There isnt any real anti-semitism at school, and theres a huge jewish population as well. That sucks about your school

Bush signed a bill extending the debt limit by $800 billion. See this article for more details. I always thought that Republicans were supposed to stand for a balanced budget. Maybe if Bush didn't get us into an expensive war and cut taxes at the same time, we wouldn't be facing this problem.

Back