2008 Science-Fiction Conventions

Viktor Kuprin

Spaced Cadet
2008 Science-Fiction Conventions

The dogwood and redbud trees are in bloom here in Indiana, and spring weather at long last has arrived. And so it's time for me to plan some trips to science-fiction conventions. Last year I made it to DucKon, Context, and Conglomeration, and had a good time at all of them. I missed this year's Conglomeration due to family activities, but I hope to make it to Marcon and WindyCon for the first time, as well as DucKon 17 and Context 21.

One convention that I intentionally boycott is Indianapolis' InConjunction. Some years ago my young daughter and I witnessed some very embarassing and UN-family friendly activities being performed in plain view, in public, during major events at that convention. The people running the convention were fully aware of what was going but did nothing. So I won't go back, even though my daughter is grown now, no longer "in tow" as they say at the cons.

Here are some links to the con sites. I hope to see you there!

VIKTOR KUPRIN

Marconbanner2.gif

Duckon_Website_Banner.jpg

Context_21.jpg

WindyCon.gif

(This entry is cross-posted from my Kosmosflot blog.)

Error

Conflux, a virtual convention. 2nd and 3rd August.

Conflux will again be holding a virtual mini-con on the weekend of August 2 and 3. What’s a virtual mini-con, I hear you cry? Well, it’s an online convention, a gathering of friends and fans that follow a program to spend an hour chatting with a special guest. Best of all, it’s completely free!
This year, the virtual mini-con will run from midday on Saturday until 6pm on Sunday, with a six hour break early Sunday morning (so we can get some sleep). Current Conflux guests Jack Dann, Cat Sparks, Gillian Polack and Bruce Gillespie will be taking part, along with past Conflux guests Maxine McArthur, Karen Herkes, Ellen Datlow, Kaaron Warren, Jonathan Strahan, Sean Williams, Kevin J Anderson and Jackie French. Conflux workshop presenters, international and Australian writers and members of the Conflux committee will also be part of the fun and ready for a grilling.
Book the dates and times into your diary, and at the appropriate time go to the forum at www.conflux.org.au/forum (note it’s not working at the moment, we’re doing some work to get it ready), sign in, find the forum featuring the guest you want to chat to and join the fun. There will also be a lounge, for general conversation in between spots. There will be a special membership for the physical convention available during the weekend, so come along and join the fun.
If you have any more questions, contact Conflux 5 programmer Nicole R Murphy on programme@conflux.org.au
Saturday August 2
12pm – Glenda Larke
1pm – Chris Barnes
2pm – Gillian Polack
3pm – Bruce Gillespie
4pm – Phill Berrie
5pm – Stephen Hunt
6pm – Peter Strong
7pm – Karen Miller
8pm – Fiona McLennan
9pm – Maxine McArthur
10pm – Sharyn Lilley
11pm – Karen Herkes
12am – Ellen Datlow
1am to 6am – break
7am – Sherwood Smith
8am – Nicole R Murphy
9am – Jonathan Strahan
10am – Kaaron Warren
11am – Sean Williams
12pm – Kevin J Anderson
1pm – Cat Sparks
2pm – Jackie French
3pm – Jack Dann
4pm – Simon Haynes
5pm – Marianne de Pierres
Note all times are Australian Eastern Standard Time

Simon Haynes writes the Hal Spacejock series, of which the first novel is now free online from his website.

A virtual mini-con, what an absolutely brilliant idea! Though the time shift will be killer for those of us in the US, I will be there ... virtually, of course.

But I'll miss scarfing up goodies at the con suite.

I really wish there were more in the local area. Once upon a time the Philly region (Philadelphia, PA for those not familiar with the 'Philly' name) used to have a thriving scene but now it seems a bit empty. I still remember years ago meeting Tom Baker of Dr. Who fame at a local con.

<sigh>

Virtual mini-con sounds good to me living in a galaxy far, far away (Sweden that is) :P
mariamosh, welcome to Cool Sci-Fi! (y)

So how are conventions in Sweden? Is there a large enough fan base to have large conventions or is it sparse?

mariamosh, welcome to Cool Sci-Fi! (y)

So how are conventions in Sweden? Is there a large enough fan base to have large conventions or is it sparse?

Thanks for the welcoming! Been a member for a few months and decided to start posting and looking this community up tonight :smiley:

The fan base in Sweden is large enough for holding one sci fi/fantasy convention (or "congress" as it's called) each year in southern Sweden. I've never been to any of these conventions since I thought them to be pretty dull (the foreign ones seem so much cooler), but as we speak of it, I think I will head for the convention in Stockholm next autumn, I want to give it a try, and it could never be wrong meeting likeminded people plus going to Stockholm which is a very nice city :smiley:

Only thing I know about the con for next year is that Liz Williams will be coming and apparently there use to be two foreign "celebs" visiting the con! Guess I better start reading some of Liz's work ;)

Back