2010/2011 TV Season (US)

Kevin

Code Monkey
Staff member
The 2010/2011 TV season is the US is starting to take shape. Some of our favorite genre shows are coming back, some have been canceled or have been scheduled to end, and a bunch of new ones will try to get our attention. We'll keep this updated as we learn more....

Returning Shows

• Chuck (NBC)
  • V (ABC)
  • Fringe (FOX)
  • Smallville (CW)
  • The Vampire Diaries (CW)
  • Supernatural (CW)
  • Eureka (SyFy)
  • Warehouse 13 (SyFy)

Cancelled Shows (or shows ending)

• Flash Forward (ABC)
  • Heroes (NBC)
  • Lost (ABC)
  • Ghost Whisperer (CBS)

New Shows

• The Cape (NBC)
    Officer Vince Faraday was a good cop trying to clean up a corrupt city. Framed for murder and left for dead, he suddenly found himself separated from his wife and son and forced into hiding. Now, inspired by his son's favorite comic book hero, he's taking the law into his own hands, and playing a deadly game of chess with the powerful kingpin who framed him. With the hope of one day reuniting with his family, The Cape is sending a loud message to all criminals... run.

• No Ordinary Family (ABC)
    The Powells are pretty much your average, everyday American family. That is until their plane crashes in the Amazon jungle. After that, well, let's just say the Powells are a little less ordinary. Jim is a frustrated police sketch artist married to Stephanie, a brilliant and successful scientist. Although they still love each other, their marriage has lost some of its spark. All of that changes, though, when Stephanie takes Jim and their two teenage kids along on a research trip to the Amazon. The Powell's plane crashes into a swampy river; they manage to escape, but, their pilot, unfortunately, isn't so lucky. As the Powells gratefully return to their old lives, they are shocked to discover that they have suddenly developed some rather extraordinary abilities. Jim is super strong with amazing reflexes. Stephanie can suddenly move at lightning speed. Daphne can hear everyone's thoughts including those of her 16-year-old-boyfriend, ick! Then there's JJ, who miraculously goes from clueless to brainiac, seemingly overnight. The Powells are reinvigorated by their new powers, but they quickly discover that the toughest challenges may be the most ordinary ones. Sure, they can stop criminals, but all the super powers in the world can't fix emotional problems. The Powells better get their act together, soon, though, because that pilot they left for dead at the bottom of a river... he just woke up.
  • Terra Nova (FOX)
    EW obtained the script for Terra Nova, which begins in 2149 A.D. The scene: a large group of settlers are preparing to leave the apocalyptic world they live in to time travel back millions of years via a massive, high-tech contraption. Their goal is to see trees, enjoy a blue sky, eat real food – basically, to start over in this so-called Eden. But what they find is unlike anything they were expecting.
  • The Event (NBC)
    "The Event" is an emotional high-octane conspiracy thriller that follows Sean Walker (Jason Ritter, "The Class"), an Everyman who investigates the mysterious disappearance of his fiancée, Leila (Sarah Roemer, "Disturbia"), and unwittingly begins to expose the biggest cover-up in U.S. history. Sean's quest will send ripples through the lives of an eclectic band of strangers, including: newly elected U.S. President Martinez (Blair Underwood, "Dirty Sexy Money"); Sophia (Emmy Award nominee Laura Innes, "ER"), who is the leader of a mysterious group of detainees; and Sean's shadowy father-in-law (Scott Patterson, "Gilmore Girls"). Their futures are on a collision course in a global conspiracy that could ultimately change the fate of mankind.

• Betwixt (CW)
  • Persons Unknown (NBC)
    Persons Unknown
    is a one-hour mystery drama in which a group of strangers must come together to solve the puzzle of their lives. The series is from Oscar-winning writer Christopher McQuarrie (The Usual Suspects) who executive-produces with Heather McQuarrie and Remi Aubuchon. The series stars Alan Ruck (SpinCity) and Jason Wiles (Third Watch).
  • Undercovers (NBC)
    Not exactly a genre show but fans of JJ Abrams will be definitely interested....
    You had us at J.J. Superproducer J.J. Abrams (that guy behind Felicity, Alias and Lost) gets back to his espionage days with this drama about married former spies forced to re-enter the field five years after retiring. Fresh faces Gugu Mbatha-Raw and Boris Kodjoe lead the series, also starring Gerald McRaney (Jericho), Jessica Parker Kennedy and Ben Schwartz.
  • The Gates (ABC)
    Nestled inside a private mountain community are The Gates. The image of perpetual suburban bliss, each street is lined with perfectly manicured homes protected by the massive iron gates, but a dark and delicious secret is buried just beneath the surface of this picturesque neighborhood.
  • Haven (SyFy)
    Syfy’s all-new one-hour drama seriesHaven, starring Emily Rose (Jericho, Brothers and Sisters), commenced production on April 20 in Halifax, Nova Scotia and its surrounding area. Based on the novellaThe Colorado Kid from author renowned Stephen King, the series follows the shrewd and confident FBI agent Audrey Parker (Rose) with a lost past who arrives in the small town of Haven, Maine on a routine case. Before long, her natural curiosity lands her in the epicenter of activity in this curious enclave, which turns out to be a longtime refuge for people that are affected by a range of supernatural afflictions.

Other Markets - New Shows

• Outcasts (BBC)
    A group of courageous pioneers face a unique opportunity: the chance to build a new and better future on another planet. Outcasts is an epic new eight-part drama series created by Ben Richards for BBC One. They are led by President Tate and his core team of Stella, Cass and Fleur – they took charge and settled here first alongside Expeditionaries Mitchell and Jack. They are a diverse group of individuals who left their old lives behind in extraordinary circumstances; promised a second chance at life they created a society, far away from their home, friends, family... and their pasts.

Other Markets - Made for TV Movies

• The First Men In The Moon (BBC)
    Mark Gatiss is to star in his own adaptation of HG Wells' thrilling scientific romance The First Men In The Moon alongside Rory Kinnear, in a one-off 90-minute drama for BBC Four. It's July 1969 and, as the world waits with baited breath for news of the Apollo 11 astronauts, a young boy meets 90-year-old Julius Bedford (Rory Kinnear) who tells an extraordinary story of two men's journey to the Moon, way back in 1909. As a young man, Bedford chances to meet Professor Cavor (Mark Gatiss), a somewhat unworldly scientist with an amazing invention: Cavorite – anything to which it is applied becomes opaque to the force of gravity. Knowing a miracle when he sees one, and with a keen eye on profit, Bedford encourages Cavor to think big. And so the two men construct a copper and cast-iron sphere which will fly them to the Moon. But what terrors await them in the lunar interior? And will they ever succeed in returning to Earth?

I don't know if this applies but Eureka is going to start it's 4th season in July. I'm only mentioning this because I really like the show because of the mix of comedy and Sci fi.

I don't know if this applies but Eureka is going to start it's 4th season in July. I'm only mentioning this because I really like the show because of the mix of comedy and Sci fi.
Ooh, thanks for the reminder! :cool: Just added Eureka & Warehouse 13 to the list of returning shows. I also love Eureka... it's a perfect combination of quirky & science.

Anybody know what the status of Sanctuary is?

Added The Gates (ABC) under the new shows. Yes, it is yet another vampire show. This one looks like to be a cross between Desperate Housewives + Vampires + 90210.
CBS's Ghost Whisperer has been added to the list of casualties.
Interesting note about Ghost Whisperer... the production is co-owned by ABC and rumors are that ABC may pick up up the series for another season or so in order to fill up on the number of episodes for later syndication.

I am interested in the new shows. They all look like they have potential. One that I have seen is interesting called "Persons Unknown". Now to see if it can become really good.

Flash Forward had some interesting twists, however one had to watch close sometimes to maintain story flow. I thought it to be fairly good though. Eureka and Warehouse 13 show promise and I am sad to see Heroes go.

The problem with Heroes as I saw it was the switching back and forth between languages. It was a big turnoff to have to read captions for most viewers. My family did not like it because of that. I did like it because I tend to get into the scenes and watch closely.

I am interested in the new shows. They all look like they have potential. One that I have seen is interesting called "Persons Unknown". Now to see if it can become really good.
I caught the second episode last night but couldn't get into it. Has some sci-fi'ish elements, like the invisible force field, but for the most part if felt like a SyFy made-for-TV movie where it's a bare-bone minimum effects shoot to keep costs down. I'll watch it again at least once more to see if it was me or the show. :eek:

A few shows appeared recently that I've had a look at. Rubicon, The Good Guys and Unnatural History

Rubicon is a conspiracy thriller with a guy working in an intelligence agency who comes across some evidence of control by secret agencies. Rubicon

The Good Guys is a cop drama mixing two partners from two different era's. The Good Guys

Unnatural History is the teen drama in the bunch. Mean Girls meets Indiana Jones. Unnatural History

I caught the second episode last night but couldn't get into it. Has some sci-fi'ish elements, like the invisible force field, but for the most part if felt like a SyFy made-for-TV movie where it's a bare-bone minimum effects shoot to keep costs down. I'll watch it again at least once more to see if it was me or the show. :eek:

It reminded me of the Prisoner, only in this story flow there are many in place of one and the scene has been altered to allow for a new line of thought in how do they if ever escape?

Caprica is a good show, September 17th seems a long time away right now. The digital imprint or copy of life mind is an interesting concept that needs further exploration. The first cylon is perfect for the story flow.

Three days for the start of the new season of Eureka. :smiley:

Finally! I can't believe the dirth of scifi shows meant I went on to marathon viewings of Entourage and Homicide: Life on the Street (again!) Even the BBC just got a good hammering here recently as it was stated there is only half the fresh and new shows there used to be in the past. More scifi please :smiley:

In case you don't follow the Cool Sci-Fi Twitter account ;), here are some dates...

September 20
Chuck
The Event

September 23
Big Bang Theory (not a genre show but a favorite of the crowd)
Fringe

September 24
Medium
Smallville
Supernatural

October 5
Caprica
Stargate Universe

October 15
Sanctuary

Back