Action 2012 (2009)

Tom

An Old Friend
Title: 2012

Tagline: We Were Warned.

Genre: Action, Adventure, Science Fiction

Director: Roland Emmerich

Cast: John Cusack, Chiwetel Ejiofor, Amanda Peet, Oliver Platt, Thandiwe Newton, Tom McCarthy, George Segal, Danny Glover, Woody Harrelson, Liam James, Morgan Lily, Blu Mankuma, Zlatko Burić, Beatrice Rosen, John Billingsley, Chin Han, Osric Chau, Philippe Haussmann, Alexandre Haussmann, Jimi Mistry, Johann Urb, Ryan McDonald, Stephen McHattie, Lisa Lu, Henry O, Patrick Bauchau, Chang Tseng, Merrilyn Gann, Patrick Gilmore, Dean Marshall, Ron Selmour, Viv Leacock, Chris Boyd, Donna Yamamoto, Doron Bell, David Orth, Lyndall Grant, Jason Diablo, Ty Olsson, Zinaid Memišević, Vincent Cheng, Igor Morozov, B. J. Harrison, Dominic Zamprogna, Karin Konoval, Mary Gillis, Rick Tae, Parm Soor, Gerard Plunkett, Paul Tryl, Andrei Kovski, Val Cole, Eve Harlow, Sean Tyson, Leonard Tenisci, Michael Buffer, Daren A. Herbert, Craig Stanghetta, Mateen Devji, Qayam Devji, Jody Thompson, Tanya Champoux, Frank C. Turner, Kinua McWatt, Laara Sadiq, Gillian Barber, Candus Churchill, Beverley Elliott, Agam Darshi, Raj Lal, Pesi Daruwalla, Jacob Blair, Jay Williams, Scott E. Miller, Anna Mae Routledge, John Stewart, Ryan Cook, Brandon Haas, Eddie Hassell, Betty Phillips, Georgina Hegedos, Luis Javier, Dean Redman, Gordon Lai, Mark Docherty, Mark Oliver, Andrew Moxham, Alexandra Castillo, Farouk A. Afify, Shaun Wilson, Leo Chiang, Elizabeth Richard, Kyle Riefsnyder, George Trochta, John Mee, Geoff Gustafson, Alex Zahara, Jason Griffith, Jill Morrison, Thomas Parkinson, Leona Naidoo, Chad Riley, Simon Leung, Quentin Guyon, Nicole Rudell, Kevin Haaland, Leigh Burrows, Dan Savoie

Release: 2009-10-10

Runtime: 158

Plot: Dr. Adrian Helmsley, part of a worldwide geophysical team investigating the effect on the earth of radiation from unprecedented solar storms, learns that the earth's core is heating up. He warns U.S. President Thomas Wilson that the crust of the earth is becoming unstable and that without proper preparations for saving a fraction of the world's population, the entire race is doomed. Meanwhile, writer Jackson Curtis stumbles on the same information. While the world's leaders race to build "arks" to escape the impending cataclysm, Curtis struggles to find a way to save his family. Meanwhile, volcanic eruptions and earthquakes of unprecedented strength wreak havoc around the world.
2012 (2009)

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1810045661/video/14045555/standardformat/

An academic researcher leads a group of people in a fight to counteract the apocalyptic events that were predicted by the ancient Mayan calendar. Cast includes: John Cusack, Amanda Peet, and Chiwetel Ejiofor.
2012 is directed and co-written by epic German filmmaker Roland Emmerich, of films like Stargate, Independence Day, Godzilla, The Patriot, The Day After Tomorrow, and 10,000 B.C. previosuly. It was also co-written by Harald Kloser, of The Thirteenth Floor, The Day After Tomorrow, Alien vs Predator, and 10,000 B.C. as well. Sony Pictures is bringing 2012 to theaters everywhere on November 13th this year!

Re: 2012 Holy mackerel trailer

Spaceships? Wait, what?

From watching the real trailer, my theory is that those are some type of vessel designed to take people into space to keep them safe. That's just a stab in the dark, though.

From watching the real trailer, my theory is that those are some type of vessel designed to take people into space to keep them safe. That's just a stab in the dark, though.
I see what you mean; between the shots of the animals being air lifted (giraffe explicitly) and the mob of people rushing to get into the vehicle, it does appear to be some type of arc to save the remanants of mankind (and is confirmed by the scene at around 1:30). Now whether it is a space bound ship or some type of vehicle that will remain Earth bound is up in the air.

Last edited:

Now whether it is a space bound ship or some type of vehicle that will remain Earth bound is up in the air.

That's fair. I think the word "spaceship" in the humor trailer combined with seeing your Wall E Sig (subconsciously?) affected my decision that they were going into space. :smiley: It didn't seem as though there were a lot of shots of other planes, so an airship is easily another possibility, though I suppose it could also be some kind of hybrid transport that could be submerged or airborne, too!

Honestly at this point I'm more interested in knowing what the "ark" is than I am in seeing the flick, haha.

I was trying to explain to my son that the 2012 predictions of apocalypse where just stories made up to scare people. Not that many of us here really believe them. Or do we?

Anyhow, I went on wiki and found this entry:

The alarmist claims of imminent doom made by Sony Pictures in their fictional publicity for the forthcoming film 2012 are not supported by reputable independent academic research.

2012 phenomenon - Wikipedia

We're all hoping the film turns out to be a satisfying experience though.

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1810045661/video/14045555/standardformat/

An academic researcher leads a group of people in a fight to counteract the apocalyptic events that were predicted by the ancient Mayan calendar. Cast includes: John Cusack, Amanda Peet, and Chiwetel Ejiofor.
2012 is directed and co-written by epic German filmmaker Roland Emmerich, of films like Stargate, Independence Day, Godzilla, The Patriot, The Day After Tomorrow, and 10,000 B.C. previosuly. It was also co-written by Harald Kloser, of The Thirteenth Floor, The Day After Tomorrow, Alien vs Predator, and 10,000 B.C. as well. Sony Pictures is bringing 2012 to theaters everywhere on November 13th this year!
Very intriguing comments! Thanks for such competent advice! It will be very interesting production:P

Incensed, so much I have to put metaphorical pen to cybernetic paper, thus herein are my views, thoughts and the venting of spleen, etc.

Now I don't mind the underlying premise. The writers have to hand the story on something and the huge upheavals in the Earth are as good as any excuse for a story Hollywood can come up with, so I'll let them off for that. (Please, if you're a geologist or astrophysicist don't tell me off there, yes I know, unrealistic, etc.)

So let us at the underlying storyline.

A billion euros (a bit like a foreign dollar, very alien and un-America, gosh what were the producers thinking, poking fun at the feebleness of the good ol' greenback!?), for your safe seat on the "last ship out of the end of the world".

Sound like a good deal, to any half-wit. But how much does it really cost to build your own ship for you, your family, friends, girlfriends, mistresses and other totty? A couple of hundred million, and a few hundred million to spare for some other luxuries, like a few more ships?

So all the half-wits are to be packed away on a magical, mysterious "big ship" to save their lives.

Right. Yes. I think not.

Oh, and don't forget to kill of all the non-U people, those who don't "fit" the magical ships, like foreigners who aren't proper Americans, ie., born in America or as rich as an America.

As for big ships, obviously the half-wit population of the world haven't noticed the huge cruise ships already floating around the world, so easily modified, oh and the vast aircraft carriers that could airlift an entire town to safety, oh, and... But of course these are "special ships" for special people, not like all the nuclear submarines in the world though.

As so we sail off into the sunset heading for a new home, where all the foreign people have already settled because it didn't get harmed too much in the end of the world (of America), so we can conquer it as soon as we arrive by offering them Trade Goods.

Let this sink in the mire of it's own doom.

:rolleyes:

Before you stomp too hard, remember that Roland Emmerich always makes junk movies, and that he's German, not American. Well, the original Stargate film was interesting, at least until the Egyptian slave mob came running over the dunes at the end.

Worldmaker, if you weren't happy with 2012 then I suspect you won't be happy to hear that.... Roland & team are already working on 2013 which will be a sequel to the movie dealing with those who survived on Earth instead of getting on the ships.

I've seen a few films from asian cinema origins about disasters recently. Tsunami and end of the world stuff. Maybe it would be better to watch them instead?

i can't tell if "WorldMaker's" reviews of 2012 are sarcastic, witty, or just plain stupid.

1. A billion euros (a bit like a foreign dollar, very alien and un-America, gosh what were the producers thinking, poking fun at the feebleness of the good ol' greenback!?), for your safe seat on the "last ship out of the end of the world"
1. Dude, as an American, even I know euro's are worth more than the American greenback. "a bit like a foreign dollar?" Dude! This ain't the 1980s! Welcome to 2000!

2. Oh, and don't forget to kill of all the non-U people, those who don't "fit" the magical ships, like foreigners who aren't proper Americans, ie., born in America or as rich as an America.
2. Who are "non-U" people? Why the American bashing? Why do you think Americans are the richest? The stupidity of political correctness aside, I thought the movie was well representative of "non-traditional" Americans. A smart black person instead of a gun-totting gangster? Emotional Chinese actors who don't have to do kung-fu? That crazy Russian!!? C'mon, the movie was well representative of international character.

3. ...it didn't get harmed too much in the end of the world (of America)
3. sounds to me like you hate America. Fine, that's your opinion, but it's just a movie, dude. it's meant to be COOL with some introspection of society and humanity. great special effects. good characters. humorous at some parts. That's all!!!!
don't spoil a feel-good movie with your disdain for America!
besides, where would get breast implants and facials without America?? =P

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database