4 Dates & 1 Marriage

Part 5

One year later

Ever since Sydney and Lizzie stepped into my life, every day has been filled with love and laughter all around. I have never been around a person as alive as Lizzie. One might think that due to her disability she would rather be silent and shy but she sure is a fighter. She’s not the kind of girl sitting around and doing nothing or cry over her destiny, mind you! She is rather the opposite.

I’m aware how reluctant Sydney has been at the beginning when it came to our marriage. And I even understood where she was coming from. Who would get married to a woman that has a disabled child? A child that is not only 24/7 until the age of 18 but rather more for the rest of your life and this 100%. I though couldn’t imagine my life without them only a short time after having met them.

I still have the very first picture taken from Lizzie sitting right now on my desk. It was the day that we spent together in the pool that Sydney had been so worried about the entire time I was in the water with her daughter.

I remember as if it were yesterday, as she clung to me holding onto my body for dear life. She though seemed to trust me in some way otherwise she would have never let me take her into the pool. I couldn’t take my eyes of Lizzie for the rest of the afternoon watching her doing puzzles with Sydney or gulping down her chocolate ice-cream. This was exactly what I wanted, but why had it happened so suddenly? I’m afraid I will never find an answer to that.

And it has been going on like that for several weeks until I couldn’t hold it any longer and asked Sydney to marry me one month after our trip to the zoo. I couldn’t even believe myself say the words as I was kneeling down in front of her while my whole body was shivering from head to toe.

Had I lost my mind? Was I going crazy? Those were exactly the words my mother threw at me when I informed her about the happy news once Sydney had accepted my proposal. She gave me a decent lecture but never facts I didn’t know already. I have known Sydney for six weeks, she has a physical and mental disabled child… next came the oh so many famous what if’s. Again, I didn’t care and didn’t even listen to her endless rambling on the phone. Couldn’t she just be happy for me? Why in god’s name was it so bad to have a disabled child? We are not the only ones and I think I’ve been thinking about this enough before doing the actual proposal.

I’m fully aware what is awaiting me… and I still don’t regret a single second about the choice I made in my life a year from now.

“Daddy look!” Lizzie shakes me out of my daydream as I look up from the newspaper I’ve been staring at for a big amount of time.

A smile is plastered all over her face as she rides her bike alone for the first time in her life. I wave back, telling her that she should train her eyes onto the pavement and watch where she is rolling along with her bike, reminding her to stay close by so I can have a constant watch out on her. She pushes her little feet a little harder down onto the paddles making the four-wheeled pink bike go faster while a few other children of the neighbourhood ride their bikes on the street.

Two weeks ago Sydney and I took her to the shop where she picked out her own bike. Proudly she presented it to her grandmother in the afternoon who sadly shrugged, shook her head saying that a girl like Lizzie wouldn’t need a bike. I ended up being extremely furious at my mother disrupting the entire atmosphere that day, but what else was I supposed to do?

I mean, she should be proud of her granddaughter; after all she’s the only grandchild she has but then, my mother is also the only grandparent Lizzie will ever have. Every new achievement Lizzie makes, whether it is in school or at home, we are happy. Sydney and I are truthfully happy; something my grandmother will more likely never understand.

“Michael!” Sydney’s voice falters through the house all the way to the front yard where I’m lounged. The main door is open due to the hot weather today. The setting sun glooms the whole neighbourhood into a nice orange ambience. “Dinner’s ready”

I thus call out Lizzie’s name a couple of times before she finally acknowledges me, wanting her to come back. From far away I see her pull a lip, knowing exactly how much she loves riding her new bike.

“Come on sweetie. Dinner’s ready” I say, pushing the bike up the driveway and into the garage while she still sits on it.

“Lizzie want bike some more” She exclaims with a protruding lip and her arms crossed over her chest.

“Oh, are you sure? Because I think mummy made some delicious lasagna”

Her face instantly lifts up with a large smile growing all over her face. I knew that was going to convince her and the trick has worked. I hold a steady grip onto the bike, making sure that she doesn’t fall while climbing off; her legs are kind of tricky to get used to but nothing I don’t manage now.

We trot back out of the garage as I close the door and help her with another steady arm into the house right up to the kitchen table. She sits down at the table waiting for her plate to be served right in front of her. I step up to Sydney helping her with the dishes and shovel a nice portion of lasagna onto the first plate, giving it to Lizzie.

“Watch out Lizzie, it’s hot. Ok?” I warn her and she nods her head, gazing at the steam evaporate from the hot meal. “Thanks” I thank Sydney as she hands me out my plate and grabs another one for herself. I literally stare at the tiny portion on her plate.

“You sure that’s gonna be enough? Remember you’re eating for two” I inform her with a brow raised as I caress my hand lovingly over her protruding belly.

It hasn’t taken us long to come to that point right after marriage, yet another thing I will never regret in life. Watching Sydney grow big with the love we have created… it doesn’t cease to amaze me every day that is passing. For obvious reasons Sydney has been very afraid the moment she learnt about the pregnancy but once the check came back with a clear and healthy baby the happiness was never-ending.

“Well I can eat for two but I don’t wanna get fat!” she retorts but still flashes me a loving dimpled smile. “Could you cut up Lizzie’s lasagna please?” She rattles taking a mouthful of her own meal as I shake my head wondering what I did to deserve such an amazing, wonderful and beautiful wife.

The happy end

A/N: I know this fic was pretty short and I wished I would have had more energy to write more and also wished my RL would be less busy...

Thanks ahead for reading...

oh and one more thing... forgot the piccie... here's more or less, what Lizzie looks like :inlove: She's cute isn't she???? Of course Vaughn had to fall for her :rolleyes:

Lizzie.jpg

Love you ALL! :hug: cookums :P

PS. I just noticed this pic was taken by Marc Vaughn... is that a coincidence or what???? :blink:

cookie that was a really great story
i wish vaughns mom was more supportive though

i cant wait to see what you have up your sleeve next time

Back