It's hard to say. I think it was just some random number they came up with and decided to use it over and over again. But maybe it has some sort of signigicance to something. If it does, It's probably Rambaldi.

i agree, since it is rambaldi's signifiying number(everything that has something to do with ihm, has this number stamped on somehow!) so i bet it is part of an equation or some obsession of his.

there's a whole topic about this under Alias Fun...there are LOTS of cool ideas about what the 47 means, and implications about 47 for the show ;)

I think you're all right! I mean lookat how many times it's in one eppy! Last week, there were 2 on the elevator and on the satelite code! I love the #47 now! And I draw the Rambaldi symbol all over my folders and stuff. And my teachers are like what does that mean? i am like only an Alias fan would know!

ok myab 47 is like JJ abrams birthday April 7 lol, but i have a feeling it will signify somehing in the end mayb rambaldi mayb something we never heard of.

I didn't come up with it either, I had either remembered it from Alias or read about it somewhere on the board or both.

its was kinda subtle before... all low-key... few and far between. Now they gotta start every episode with '47' parade... with big banners, and batton twirlers, and some beauty queen in a convertable, and the shriners, and llamas with 47s on their sides.

Ok some of that isnt true... but they have been making a big deal about it.

47s were also hidden in other series, including, I beleive, some Star Trek shows, so it may be a nod to them.

Also, there are also a 47 society that says that 47 is the quintessential random number. For more information, click here.

haha I'm a member of that society...it's awesome, I always talk about 47...People are starting to believe me about how often it occurs...its creepy.

About the 47...I know Pomona college is big on the #47...does JJ have any affiliation with them or anything...it might just be kind of the signature of the show too. The writers sort of inside joke.

I'm not sure, but i think the writers sort of modeled rambaldi after nostradsmus...

Nostradamus was most famous for his 'Centuries..' nine groups of 100 poems (called quatrains), and one group of 42.

Each of his quatrains of a certain number were significant. I'm not sure its either 72, or 74 (its been a while since i cared :smiley:)