Sci-Fi 50th anniversary special “An Adventure in Space and Time,”

RonPrice

Mr. RonPrice
DR WHO AND ME

Part 1:

Last night ABC1 TV screened the Doctor Who 50th anniversary special “An Adventure in Space and Time,” immediately following the primetime screening of “The Day of the Doctor.” It aired on Sunday November 24 at 8.45pm on ABC1 following “The Day of the Doctor” at 7:30pm. I watched "a few snippets."

This historic special, which attracted many millions of viewers, stared David Bradley as William Hartnell; Jessica Raine as Verity Lambert; Brian Cox as Sydney Newman and Sacha Dhawan as Waris Hussein. It was written by Mark Gatiss, and executive produced by Mark Gatiss, Steven Moffat and Caroline Skinner.

This special one-off drama travelled back in time to 1963 to see how the beloved “Doctor Who” was first brought to the screen. Actor William Hartnell felt trapped by a succession of hard-man roles in his acting career. Wannabe producer Verity Lambert was frustrated by the TV industry’s glass ceiling limiting her creative energies and potential. Both of them were to find unlikely hope and unexpected challenges in the form of a Saturday tea-time drama, time travel and monsters! Allied with a team of brilliant people, they went on to create the longest running science fiction series ever, celebrating its 50th anniversary this evening.

Part 2:

I have never been 'into' the Doctor Who phenomenon, although occasionally since 1963, when it opened on BBC1 TV, I have found myself watching one of the 800 episodes, and one of the several incarnations of this time-travelling chap, this Time-Lord, this doctor Who. Back on 23 November 1963 I was 18 when the first episode was aired. I was in my first year of an arts degree in Ontario Canada, and it was the day after JFK was assassinated. Since then, in the 50 years since 1963, I have studied and taught history. I retired from FT teaching more than a decade ago in 1999 but, if I was back in the classroom and teaching history, I would certainly draw on some of the conceptual material from this most popular of sci-fi TV programs. I would also have found it useful when teaching literature and creative writing, as I did for decades.

Many students both now, and in the decades gone by, have a great deal of trouble making imaginative and creative connections with the major events of history as taught in school curricula across the planet. As Henry Ford once said: "history is bunk", and millions have found this to be the case.-Ron Price with thanks to "Doctor Who" ABC1 TV, 7:30 to 10:15 pm, 24/11/'13 and Wikipedia.

You1 faced a variety of foes while

working to save civilisations, help

ordinary people, and right wrongs.

The longest-running science fiction

television show in the world, & the

"most successful" of science fiction

series for all time based on its over-

all broadcast ratings, book-sales, as

well as DVD, and iTunes traffic; the

largest ever simulcast of a TV drama"

with The Day of the Doctor last night.

Like some kind of background music

popping-up in the last five decades of

my life from my late teens to my late

sixties turning millions on....even if I

was only part of the audience on rare

occasions as my life-narrative dealt

with the return, the incarnation, of a

type of Doctor which was, arguably,

the most charismatic Person in a very

different sense, and was also part of a

fully routinized and institutionalized

Force which may be the most precious

Soul ever to have drawn breath on this

planet: The Day of the Unifier of all the

children of men at last with a power and

an authority that has and would travel from

the beginning that hath no beginning to the

end that hath no end, eternal in the past, and

eternal in the future, world without end, amen!

1 The Doctor, the Time-Lord and his several incarnations

Ron Price

25/11/'13.

Back