Dismiss Notice
Alien Soup is a free community for fans of science-fiction, horror, & fantasy! Everybody is welcome here.

55 Word Stories

Discussion in 'Books' started by Mojo, Aug 6, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Mojo

Mojo Rocket Ranger

I entered an online contest at one point to write a ghost story using exactly 55 words, inspired by this excellent, excellent, excellent site. It's not bad; here's what I came up with:

Meh, a bit artsy, but I thought it was OK. I liked the assignment; I liked the challenge, the boxed-in structure, the paucity of words.

So I'll extend the same challenge to all of you. Write your best story using exactly 55 words. Doesn't have to be sci-fi, although I'd like to see someone try that -- not sure if the genre is flexible enough. I always like seeing what people come up with.

[​IMG]

2. Kevin

Kevin Code Monkey Staff Abductee

Looks like an interesting way to take a break from coding this afternoon...

3. Mojo

Mojo Rocket Ranger

Nice work, Kevin! (y)

First attempt at a 55-word science-fiction story -- really, it's more like the beginnings of a story, which is against the rules.

Anyway, this is called "The Chemical Man":

4. AlexM

AlexM Captain

you provoked me: zombies, 55 words

A horseshoe of a bitemark on my forearm, I dread joining their ranks but already I feel my mind going from pink life to gray hunger. All the fear, longing and attachments are gone and my throat is dry. My finger tips are getting numb. Bye mom, bye kids. Hope I don't eat you.