8 months till Star Trek movie released

Tim

Creative Writer
...and they're already blowing the trumpets.

Of course, the viewer is what matters and we have that little niggle in the back of the mind, hoping it doesn't become a Star Wars epiosde 1 or 2.

Interesting to note the 'style' of the younger Kirks performance is mentioned here, maybe to prepare the viewers. And I wonder, will the fabled simulator incident be involved in this film, just to make the theatres squeal with excited chatter and banged seats.

Director praises Abrams's 'Star Trek'

Thursday, September 11 2008, 20:41 BST
By Simon Reynolds, Entertainment Reporter
160x120_JJ_Abrams_2.jpg

Clerks II director Kevin Smith has praised J.J. Abrams's new Star Trek movie.

Smith revealed to MTV that he has seen an early cut of the film and said Chris Pine delivered a "great performance" as Captain Kirk.

"It is a star-making performance," he said. "From his first scene forward, this dude is not doing an impression of [William] Shatner. He is doing young Kirk. He doesn't have the slow delivery mannerisms of Shatner but it's totally James T. Kirk, the bravado, the self-assuredness.

"It's such a great performance. You can't take your eyes off the guy. Anytime he's not on the screen you’re waiting for him to get back. And Uhura (Zoe Saldana) is really great. They made Uhura really interesting."

Smith claimed that the film is "really strong", adding: "[Abrams] was rejiggering the opening few scenes. It's one of those things where you first heard about it and were like, 'no they're not going to redo Star Trek!'

"And then you see the movie and you think, 'Wow he did pull it off!' He turned it into a viable renewed franchise."

Star Trek is scheduled for release on May 8, 2009.

Kevin Smith is a 'fan-boy' so getting an honest opinion out of him would be a bit rough.

I would be really interested in seeing somebody like, oh, I don't know.... Leonard Nimoy or George Takei, giving their reaction.

I'm looking forward to the new movie if for no other reason then the fact that it is new Trek but TOS will always be the one that means the most to me.

Back