9/11

I know that I won't ever forget the things that happened on that day. I know exactly where I was when I found out, every comment everyone made, every expression on every face. I remember that even in the face of such tragedy how proud I was of America for coming together and forgetting about ourselves.

Did anyone have a loved one who lost their life that day? Is your community doing anything to remember? What was it like for you, what are your memories of 9/11/01?
Lucy

you know what? i fell exacly the same. i will NEVER forget things that happened that day. i know exacly where i was, i know exacly what i was doing, i remember exacly people's around me expressions. that day it's such a vivid memory on my head.

i'm all the all the way across the ocean but today when i woke up, i turned the tv on and they were showing the silence minutes, and them they were reading the victims names and i got into tears imediatly. and them the news kept showing the towers falling, again and again, and got so mad. 3 years later, i fing myself thinking: who those morons, terrorists think they are? how dare they? decide that those people would die that day? freaking idiots! thats what they are! a bunch o selfish idiots! oh and politicians too. -_-

I was at school. They came over the anouncement thing and told us what happened. I imedately was affraid for my uncle because he works in NYC. We didnt do anything that day in school. And I remember knowing kids who didnt even know what the World Trade Centers were, so they didnt care. And that was aweful! I had been to NYC 2 month prior to 9/11 and had been in the trade centers. It was so weird to have them gone all of a sudden!

I was at the bus stop. My friend's mom had just told him -_- It was about 10 minutes after it had happened. I couldn't believe it.

I was on my way to school. When we got there, there was a lady from the school staff who was turning all the cars away, telling us to go home. Some was crying, some were shocked. When I got home, we were watching TV. Coverage of it was the only thing that was ever aired that day. We watched it the whole day. I had been in the World Trade Center just 4 years before.

I agree with you all...i will NEVER forget. It still pains me thinking about it.

I was in Spanish 3rd period and our principal came over the announcements saying what had happened. He only allowed us to watch it for 10 minutes and then return to what we were doing...but how could we?? I didn't even know what the two towers were but i knew what the pentagon was so i knew it had to be bad. In science class later that day my science teacher was in tears and all she could say was..."thousands of lives were lost today". I immediatly sat down on the couch after school and must have watched coverage of it for 2 hours at least.

*The thing that touched me most of all was seeing footage of people from all over the world, mourn for the U.S...it wasn't even on their soil and they were laying flowers everywhere...I was extremely touched by it and i cried. So I thank you, Cecelia for your thoughts on September 11th

When I heard of it, I was at home, it has been our second day of school. I was so shocked and it was on TV so long. After one day I couldn't switch on my TV, cause I cried everytime I saw these pictures again.
One week later we heard that five people from a town near us, were in the second plane. I knew two of them. One was the sponsor of our handball team here and the other one was in the same club as my father.

The next day we had one minute's silence and commemoration at my school. I had never seen so many people in the church of our school before and nearly everyone was crying.

I remember where I was.

I was in America.

I was staying with family friends in Iowa.

I just remember lying in bed and the daughter of the friends I was staying with saying "Come and Watch Tv Danielle"

It was the worst day.

I just remember sitting there watching the Tv for about 8 hrs.

It was a very sad and depressing day. :(

I remember the next day sitting there sending emails home.

To my mum and friends and crying cause I wanted to be at home.

:smiley:

Dani

I came home, and my mum and my brother were standing in the living room, staring at the TV, and at first we thought it was a practical joke or something, but then, after flicking through every channel, you could tell it wasn't . The next day there was such a beautiful, sad, sick full length picture in the Guardian newspaper. We had silence at school that day, and almost every newspaper got sold - there were none left in any shops by the time I came back home from school. So many people die every single day, but you tend to forget, until they die in masses.
We didn't have any proper lessons that week, our classes were just like support groups; people who had relatives in NY, people who were scared that London would be attacked, Muslim student who feared they would be stereotyped as terrorists etc.

god, I'll never forget that day... it was definitely one of the worst days in my life.. I remember we were just getting ready to go to the vetenerian with my little hamster... :( I was already crying and then my mother came to my room and told me to come to the living room and they were showing it on each channel over and over again... we were all so shocked and I cried the whole day and my mother was so worried about me...

allaliasallthetime said:
*The thing that touched me most of all was seeing footage of people from all over the world, mourn for the U.S...it wasn't even on their soil and they were laying flowers everywhere...I was extremely touched by it and i cried. So I thank you, Cecelia for your thoughts on September 11th
[post="995079"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

that was quite something hah? funny, nations "fight" a lot for simple things all the time, sports, politics, money, religion, beliefs, whatever, but then something like this happens, and then you see that what really matters is Men. so it doesn't matter if your miles, countries, oceans, continens! away, you simply feel it and its impossible to stay indifferent.

I was at school, in Social Studies class. The principal came over the PA and told the teachers to check their email; there had been an accident. We had no clue, we figured it was something like a problem with a computer or something. Then she came over the PA again and told the teachers there had been another accident, check you email. Then our teacher told us what had really happened; that two planes had been hijacked and flown into the WTC. At first I couldn't believe it. But then my teacher turned on the tv and flipped it to CNN. They were replaying the footage of the planes crashing into the towers. Then our tv reception got messed up somehow, so we all went down the hall to the science room and watched the news in there. We didn't do anything except talk about it and watch the news for the rest of the day. -_-

Cecília said:
that was quite something hah? funny, nations "fight" a lot for simple things all the time, sports, politics, money, religion, beliefs, whatever, but then something like this happens, and then you see that what really matters is Men. so it doesn't matter if your miles, countries, oceans, continens! away, you simply feel it and  its impossible to stay indifferent.
[post="995392"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

yeah, its a crazy world now adays...funny how things work

I recently wrote an article for this purpose, for the memory of Spetember the 11th. I interviewed many firefighters and i have say i cried with the things they told me. DO NOT TAKE THESE QUOTES. I'm just posting them for you all to read.

~"It's an unspoken code, a way of life that people in this profession know deep down. A memorial has to be symbolic more than physically impressive. It would have to capture emotion, dedication, and sacrifice in a quiet, unassuming way." ~after being asked what kind of memorial is apporpriate to remember 9/11.

~"Right after Spetember 11th i was told thank you alot, but after a while people forget."

The last comment really got to me. It seems that 3 years later Americans are forgetting much as Pearl Harbor was forgotten. Yes life must go on, but it is foolish to forget the past, it is ignorant. The people that died that day deserve to be remembered, they were people, they had lives, they had familes, they had jobs, they made a difference, they're gone.....and we're starting to forget....

I was on holiday in Italy with a whole lot of Americans. We were in Venice, and people started getting text messages from relatives in New York. We didn't have much of a holiday after that. We found a cafe that had CNN and spent the whole time watching television.

It really stopped the whole world. We went to Austria (Vienna) the next day, and found out that all of the airports in Europe had been closed, and so we didn't have a hotel room.

I was 'studying' in the library at school when my friend came in and told a bunch of us at the table that two planes had crashed into the twin towers. I tried tuning in my tiny pocket radio and heard a bit of the news but cos we were in the UK we didn't find out much til we got home and put the TV on... :thinking:

Back