A Child Called "It" Discussion

alias_fan

typically terrific
AllAlias.com's Book Club Book # 3 has finally been chosen. Congradulations to A Child Called "It" : One Child's Courage to Survive by Dave Pelzer! You may discuss here. :smiley:

*Note: This month's book is slightly graphic in nature in the sense of the abuse the main character suffers. This is a true story, and you will need to you your own discretion in choosing to read it.

I just read that for my English elective Conflicts In Nature and Society. Its so heartbreaking to read of abuse. Pelzer's use of contrast between the first chapter that painted a Brady Bunch family to what followed added a lot I think, to the books impact.

i loved the whole trilogy. it was so sad to read about his childhood - i found it particularly shocking because of the different way his mother treated him compared to his siblings. I think that made it much harder to understand since you could see the woman had compassion but just not for him.

As a man and a writer i think dave peltzer did a very brave thing by wirting the book - being so honest about such a difficuly time in your life - especially when it is your childhood - must have taken real guts.

After reading the last one I also wondered how his own son must feel to read the books, knowing what his poor father went trough.

I have difficulty reading this story because this story is very familar. Then again I guess anything that touchs close to home with any one is painfull. I admire his strength and courage. To sit down and write this story out and share it with the world.

He is strong beyond the words that I can say.

hmmm it was so touching, i really empathised with dave and the fact that it was a true story really shocked me. The fact the the mother could be that cruel and use so much harsh treatment to dave i could not comprehend.

Fully readable and totally sad.

I think Dave's own personal relationships struggled as a fact of insecurity and his desire to prove everyone wrong. I'm glad he didnt turn out like his mother in his treatment of his own son.

I haven't read the two other books but I thought it was strange how drastically she changed towards him in the first book.

*possible spoiler if you have not read the book*

In an article I had read, it was explained that she as a child was abused. What I don't understand is why she was not abusive towards Dave when he was younger? I'd like to know what set her off to cause her to be so cruel to him and only him?
Also in the article he mentioned that he asked her why she never killed him. And her answer floored me. "Oh Dave honey, I would have killed you but I wouldn't know where to hid Its body."

i read this book like a year ago, and i didn't actually like it. everyone seems to like it, it got chosen as book of the month here ;) , the teachers keep recommending it and the whole world gasp over this story. but i didn't like it, and i can't really say why...i totally agree with you all about how brave it is to share such a painful thing as this with, to write a book about it, Dave Pelzer has my respect for that. i just didn't think that the book was that good, it was kinda boring. maybe there was just too much pain and violence and so on, well, which is good and tragic BUT in certain amounts. in this book it just kinda took over...too much. the book could've been so much shorter and still nothing would've been left out. i think that's why i didn't really like it.
now this is just my opinion. -_-

Omg I read that a think last year. It's so sad. I had to hold back tears because I was reading at school and I didnt want everyone staring at me -_-

The second one's just as good. Has anyone read the third one? I havent gotten to it yet. Is it better than the other two??

I admire him alot. The way he has the courage to write a book about everything that's happened to him.

I've read all four...the last two are okay but the first two are better i think..
When i read this book, obviously it was really sad but i thought it really humbled you and made you appreciate what you have...because it was like he never really lost hope after experiencing so much..

Back