A Christmas Delivery

Title: A Christmas Delivery
Author: Me. Katy.
Rating: PG… ish.
Summary: The best presents do not always come in the biggest packages.
Word Count: 6,792
Summary: This is one long-ass one parter, divided into three parts, separated by Christmas song titles that are semi-related to the section… And there is just… no excuse for what my brain comes up with. I believe Janet said I was sick and insane. And it’s Christmas fluff (sort of)… who cares if things are a little too easy for Sydney and Michael. Also, this is the first thing I've written in a long while, so go easy on me.

Anyway, hope you enjoy it at least a little.
Oh, and I no longer have a master PM list, so no PMs.

:hug:

Do you hear what I hear?

“Oh my God, where is the doctor?” Sydney shut her eyes as she breathed through another contraction. It was just her luck to go in labor while her regular doctor was in Utah visiting her in-laws.

“The on-call doctor should be here any minute now… he’s just finishing up with another mother,” the middle-aged nurse explained while applying the gel on Sydney’s stomach to do a pre-delivery ultrasound.

Sydney sighed, “Good.” In the lull between contractions, she gazed at the ultrasound screen to see her baby. In just a few hours, he or she would be in Sydney’s arms, and Sydney could not wait, even if this baby was three weeks earlier than she expected.

“Everything looks good, but the doctor still needs to look at it,” the nurse told Sydney after a few moments later. Sydney smiled, despite the immense pain she was feeling coursing through her body.

The nurse looked at Sydney with a motherly smile that only a woman of her age and wisdom could give, “I’m going to go see how much longer Dr. Vaughn is going to be.”

Wait,” Sydney gasped, the breath leaving her lungs as she heard the name she never wanted to hear again, “Did you say Dr. Vaughn? As in Michael Vaughn?” Sydney asked frantically.

The nurse’s forehead crinkled, “Yes, Dr. Vaughn.”

Sydney felt tears gather in her eyes, “Is there… is there any way, um, can I get a different doctor?”

The nurse carefully approached Sydney’s bed and placed a soft hand on her shoulder, “He’s the only doctor on-call, its two days before Christmas…”

Sydney sucked in her tears, “Okay,” she said resignedly.

“I’ll check, just in case…”

“Thank you,” Sydney whispered, moving her hands to her belly where she could feel her child beneath her fingertips.

After five minutes, the nurse returned with a ghost of a smile on her lips, “I’m sorry, he’s the only doctor here right now... He’ll be here in about ten minutes.”

“Okay,” Sydney nodded.

As if on cue, ten minutes later the door open and the sandy-blonde haired doctor walked in. Sydney took a deep breath, as he glanced at her chart then looked up. Their eyes met for the first time in nearly eight months, and Sydney swore her heart skipped a beat.

He looked exactly the same. Michael was still ruggedly handsome, with piercing green eyes, and that just-got-out-of-bed look.

“S-S-Syd-Sydney,” he stuttered out, in a less than subtle attempt to hide his shock.

“Dr. Vaughn, can you look at Ms. Bristow’s ultrasound?” the nurse, Sydney’s new hero, asked the doctor, who was still trying to recover from shock.

He nodded dumbly, “Um, yeah.” Michael glanced at the screen cautiously, hoping that maybe, just maybe, Sydney had gained weight and he was not about to deliver her (possibly his) baby. One look at the ultrasound, and he knew that he was in no such luck. There was a baby inside her, and he had to deliver it.

“So, yeah, the baby is healthy. Crowning very nicely… it shouldn’t be too much longer, Ms. Bristow.” He said, Michael’s voice taking a tone of professionalism and detachment.

Sydney glanced at him, their eyes locking once more. Suddenly, Michael couldn’t breath. “Excuse me,” he choked out, “I’ll be back in a few minutes to check on things.” With that, he rushed out of the room. Once outside of the claustrophobic room, he collapsed against the wall. This was way more than he could handle.

When he met Sydney ten months earlier, they had instantly hit it off. Sydney and Michael dated only two months, when he realized she wanted more than just a casual relationship. He was focused on his work; he didn’t have time to deal with a girlfriend, even if Sydney made his heart flutter in a way that no other girlfriend had before. He ended it, anyway, shocking Sydney at the time, but he knew she would recover and find a man that deserved her.

Yet… here she was in his delivery room, having a baby.

Michael took a deep breath, and pushed himself off the ground and headed towards the nurses’ station where he could get a cup of coffee – this was going to be a long night. After wasting time by checking out each and every Christmas decoration the nurses had put up, he tossed away his empty coffee cup and returned to Sydney’s room.

Sydney and the nurse, his favorite delivery nurse, Teresa, were in a light conversation that immediately ceased when he walked back in the room.

“So, um… I need to do a quick exam, Sydney,” Michael muttered so quietly Sydney barely heard him. Unfortunately, she did.

“Is that really necessary?” Syd asked with a humorless laugh. Michael gave her a firm look, clearly saying ‘This is no big deal, I’ve seen you naked, no big deal,’ even though he knew neither of them believed that. “Fine,” Sydney sighed, sticking her heels in the very uncomfortable stirrups.

After a moment of complete and utter awkwardness, Michael announced, “You’re nearly 10 centimeters dilated, contractions are two minutes apart, we can take you to delivery.”

“Wonderful,” Sydney said, a tone of sarcasm in her voice.

Teresa patted Sydney’s hand gently, “It’s not as bad as they say, Dear, I’ve been through this three times, and I have low pain tolerance.”

“Good to know,” Sydney grinned, causing Michael’s knees to nearly go weak at the sight of her glorious dimples.

Michael cleared his throat, “So, um, Teresa will take you to delivery and I’ll meet you there,” Michael said, and then he was out of that room, like a bat out of hell.

“So, you and Dr. Vaughn don’t get along well, I take it?” Teresa asked in a nosy, yet motherly way as she wheeled Sydney down the hall.

Sydney shrugged, moving her hands to her stomach, smiling at the thought of holding her baby very soon. “We used to… we kind of dated… but it didn’t really end well,” Sydney said in the vaguest way possible.

“I see,” the nurse said softly. Then she chuckled quietly, “If he gets out of line, I’ll smack him for you.”

Sydney laughed, “Thank you.”

The rest of the short trip to the delivery room was spent in silence. When they got there, Michael was already there with a team of nurses and a pediatrician, and Sydney felt yet another contraction coming on.

Sydney was quickly moved to a bed.

“So, there’s not going to be anyone with you in the delivery room today?” Michael asked, in a professional tone, even though Sydney knew he was being completely nosy.

“No,” she grunted, taking a towel to wipe at the sweat on her brow.

“Alright, well, let’s get started then.” Michael announced with a smile, and on that cue, everyone got into position.

“Don’t sound so damn cheery about this, Michael.” Sydney groaned once more, glaring at him despite the pain she was feeling, as another contraction hit.

Michael rolled his eyes, “Sydney, on the next contraction you’re going to push as hard as you can, okay?”

Sydney nodded, as tears formed in her eyes once more. Michael noticed the sadness that had overcome Sydney and he softly touched her knees, “You’re gonna do great, Syd.” He told her reassuringly, meaning every word. Sydney nodded.

Not long after, another contraction hit and Sydney began to push. “Good, Sydney, next time I need you to push even harder though.”

There was a momentary lull between contractions and all the occupants in the room heard Michael take a deep breath, before asking, “So, Sydney, who’s baby is it?”

A contraction hit and Sydney grunted, “This is…not the time… for that.”

“Uh huh,” Michael said slowly. “And, by the way, I can see the baby’s head.”

Sydney smiled, “Really?”

“Yes. Too bad I’m not going to tell you if it’s a boy or a girl until you tell me if I’m about to deliver my own baby or not.” Michael peeked his head up and smiled at her cheekily.

Sydney glared at him once more, “That’s malpract--” but the rest of her statement was cut off by a scream as she begin to contract and push once more.

“Syd, push harder, this baby has the Bristows’ forehead.” Despite her anger towards him, Sydney couldn’t help but laugh though her tears.

“Okay, on the next contraction, you’re going to push as hard as you can for me, Sydney, and it should all be over with, okay?”

Sydney nodded, gripping onto the side rail of the bed, preparing for her last push. Seconds later, she felt it coming and began to push.

“You’re doing great, Syd, a little more.” Shortly after, a loud scream erupted around the room. Sydney felt tears fall down her cheek as she heard her baby’s first cry.

“Is it a boy or a girl?” she sniffled.

Michael cut the umbilical cord and allowed the other doctors and nurses to do their jobs, “You know the rules, Sydney, now play fair.” Michael teased gently, yet seriously, before preparing for the afterbirth.

“I hate you, just so you know.”

“I kind of figured that,” he teased cheekily, humming.

“Okay, stop that.” Sydney demanded, “This is awkward enough… with you, like, looking at me… down there! I don’t need you humming too. We’re not dating anymore!”

Michael laughed, “I’ll stop if you just tell me the truth,” he said in a singsong voice.

“Fine, it’s yours, asshole, now is my baby a boy or a girl?” Sydney asked, tears falling down her cheeks once again, as she crossed her arms over her chest.

Michael sighed, obviously a little hurt, “It’s a girl, happy now?” he said sharply.

Sydney sniffled, “It’s a girl, really?” Sydney could see Michael nod his head briefly, before one of the delivery nurses bought Sydney a quiet pink bundle of blankets.

Sydney held out her arms and gently took her beautiful newborn little girl in her arms. Softly, Sydney examined each and every one of her little girl’s fingers and toes, then fingered her barely-there fluff of blonde hair.

“Sydney, they need to take her to the nursery now.” Michael said gently a few minutes later, standing up.

“Okay,” she whimpered, handing the baby to the nearby nurse.

“Are your parents here… or Nadia? Because I can have them meet you in your room, if you’d like.”

“Waiting room,” Sydney said quietly, watching as the nurse carried away her baby girl.

Michael nodded, “Teresa’s going to take you to your room in a minute.” Michael said gently, not using the sharp tone he had used earlier, noting that Sydney was suddenly withdrawn and quiet.

Sydney merely looked at him in recognition, showing him that she did, in fact, hear him. “Then they’ll bring the baby to your room and place her in her bed there.”

Sydney cracked a smile, “Okay.”

“I have to go do… something. It was nice seeing you, Sydney. Your doctor will be home tomorrow morning, and will deal with everything else.” Michael said somewhat shortly, before walking towards the door.

“Michael wait,” Sydney stopped him as his hand reached for the door handle. He looked at her expectantly, “If you want to… stop by… to talk, I suppose that’s okay.”

Michael nodded, “Bye, Sydney. Oh, and Merry Christmas.”

“You too, Michael.” With that, Sydney was left alone with a couple of the remaining nurses.

Sydney’s parents and sister entered her room shortly after she did, and began to ask several questions ranging from “Is it a boy or a girl?” to “How are you feeling?”

“Who delivered your baby, since your doctor wasn’t here?” Laura asked, taking the seat next to her daughter’s bed.

Sydney momentarily panicked, but quickly said, “Just the on-call doctor… some guy.”

“You had a man doctor!” Jack exclaimed, crossing his arms across his chest.

“Daddy, it’s his job, it’s not like he was sexually harassing me.” Sydney said, complete with eye roll.

Soon after, a nurse bought in the baby, “Here she is,” the nurse announced, placing the baby in the anxious grandmother’s arms. “Six pounds, four ounces; nineteen and a half inches long,” she told the family, smiling softly. “I’ll come back later and we can discuss feeding her,” the nurse said. “Oh, and have you picked out a name yet?”

Sydney shook her head. “Okay, well, she’ll stay Baby Bristow for now.” The nurse announced before exiting the room.

“Oh my God, Sydney, she is so gorgeous.” Laura gushed, examining her granddaughter closely, just like Sydney had done earlier.

Sydney nodded, her eyes feeling suddenly heavy as all the events of the day caught up with her. Laura noticed her daughter’s fatigue and placed the baby in the bassinet beside Sydney’s bed. “We’ll come back later, honey, why don’t you get a little rest?” Laura ushered her husband and youngest daughter out of the room.

Once they were out of the room, Sydney peaked into her daughter’s bassinet. “Its just us, little girl. We’re on our own.” Sydney whispered softly to her sleeping daughter, before deciding to follow her daughter’s lead and drifting off to sleep.

The door creaking open nearly an hour later woke Sydney up. Sorely, she turned over in her bed to see who was entering, and was surprised to see Michael peaking his head in through the door.

“You can come in, Michael,” Sydney sighed.

“How are you doing?”

Sydney smiled softly, “Really tired and really sore,” she told him honestly.

“That’s to be expected…” he said, taking a seat beside the bed.

They lapsed into momentary silence, before Sydney blurted out, “I’m sorry. I’m sorry I didn’t tell you, but I was pissed off, and I guess this was my payback…” she trailed off.

Michael nodded, “I understand. I was an ass, things were going great with us, and I just… ended it with no apparent reason.”

Sydney reached over and cautiously took his hand that he had been resting against the bed railing.

“I should’ve explained then,” Michael told her softly.

Sydney nodded, “It’s not too late.”

Michael sighed, “It’s just… Syd… God, you’re an amazing person. You’re smart and beautiful and you are so, so kind. Then you decided to raise a baby by yourself. You’re amazing.” He paused, “I never deserved you.”

“That’s not true,” she interjected softly.

Michael shrugged, “Plus, I could never give you everything you wanted.”

“Michael, you were what I wanted. Just you. I didn’t need anything else.”

“But, I’m a self-proclaimed work-a-holic, and I was never around, and always canceling on you… and you deserve so much better.”

“That didn’t stop me from falling for you eight months ago.”

Michael cracked a half-smile, “As much as I tried to stop it, I couldn’t help it either. I think it scared me too much, so I convinced myself I didn’t deserve you and should just break up with you.”

Sydney squeezed his hand softly, as their eyes connected. Their moment was cut short by a high pitched scream.

Sydney sat up to get her, but Michael stopped her, “May I?” Sydney nodded, and watched as he expertly scooped up their baby girl. Within seconds, she had snuggled against his chest and stopped whimpering.

“Have you picked a name yet?” Michael asked quietly while simultaneously rocking the newborn.

“If it had been a boy, I was going to name him Aiden, and I had picked out Elizabeth for a girl, but she doesn’t look like an Elizabeth.”

Michael shook his head, “No, she’s not.” Then he chuckled, “Another mother, today, named her son Noel, because it’s two days before Christmas.”

Sydney giggled, “Poor child. That’s an awful name.”

“What?” Michael gasped in all seriousness. “I liked that name, I was thinking of calling her Noella.” Michael barely got through the whole sentence before bursting out in laughter, “Oh my God, that is an awful name.”

“Noella isn’t even a real name!” Sydney exclaimed, laughing. “Seriously, do you have any ideas?”

“She kind of looks like an Ava to me?”

“Oh God, we’re reading about King Arthur in my 11th grade English class, and whenever I hear the name Ava, I think of Avalon, which makes me think of that book.” Sydney scrunched up her nose.

“Okay, so that’s a no.”

“What other names do you know of? You should be an expert on this sort of thing.” Sydney smiled, leaning back against the pillow.

“We could name her after the best President that ever lived…”

“You want to name your daughter Kennedy?” Sydney teased, knowing Michael was a card-carrying Republican.

He stuck out his tongue, “NO, Reagan.” Sydney laughed, but scrunched up her nose again. “Did you pick out any other names, before you chose Elizabeth?”

“Um, Caroline, Lucy--”

Michael cut her off, “Lucy!? You wanted to name your child Lucy. That’s like child cruelty.”

Sydney rolled her eyes, and ignored his comment, “Then there was Kayla and Ellie.”

Michael stopped her once more, “Look at her, she is definitely an Ellie. How did you not realize this earlier?”

Sydney took a closer look at her blonde haired, soft featured daughter. “I think you’re right for once.” Michael ducked his head, as if hurt by her statement.

For the next twenty minutes, they took turns holding their little Ellie and cooing over her, and discussed their past and the mistakes they had made before; healing their hurt in the process.

The nurse came in and interrupted their little family time. “Oh, Dr. Vaughn, I didn’t know you were in here?”

“Its okay, Sarah.” Michael quickly said, “I’ll leave.”

“You don’t have to…” Sydney told him softly, holding on to his hand. He smiled at Sydney, then the nurse, before sitting back down.

“So most importantly, have you picked a name yet?”

Sydney grinned at Michael, “Yes, Ellie Michelle.”

“That’s very beautiful, Ellie Michelle Bristow.” Sarah stated with a soft smile.

Sydney bit her bottom lip, before saying, “Actually… um… it’s Bristow-Vaughn.” The nurse looked slightly shocked, but quickly recovered and nodded.

Michael was just as shocked, and his jaw was clearly hanging slack. Sydney smiled softly.

“So are you ready to feed little Ellie?” Sarah asked after a few seconds.

Sydney nodded, sitting up. Michael shook his head, “Um, yeah, I’m really, really going to go now.”

“Michael Christian, stop being such a baby, it is definitely not something you haven’t seen before.” Sydney rolled her eyes. The nurse laughed, taking the baby from Michael’s arms and placing Ellie in Sydney’s.

Sydney couldn’t help but snicker when Michael turned his head away when Sydney adjusted her shirt and lifted Ellie to feed her.

It took a few minutes, but once Ellie got the hang of it, she was unstoppably hungry. The nurse quickly excused herself shortly afterwards, “I’ll leave her with you. She’s in good hands.”

“Thank you,” Sydney smiled, but not taking her eyes away from her little girl. Once alone, Sydney looked over at Michael, who had finally moved his eyes away from the floor, “We did good.”

“We really did.”

Sydney smiled, scooting over in her bed and, with her free hand, patting on the spot beside her. Michael cautiously approached the bed before finally sitting down next to Sydney and wrapping an arm around her shoulder. “You know, this is against hospital code,” he jested lightly.

Sydney elbowed him as hard as she could without jarring Ellie.

Michael looked over Sydney’s fatigued yet peaceful features, before smiling, “You’re a great mother.”

“It’s only been like three hours.” Sydney blushed.

“Still,” Michael grinned, kissing her matted down hair just above her ear.

Sydney leaned her head against in his shoulder, while their daughter fell asleep in her arms a moment later, creating a picture perfect family moment.

I’ll be home for Christmas

“Merry Christmas, Sydney,” Michael said cheerfully while walking into Sydney’s room, dressed casually except for the bright red Santa hat atop his head. “And how is Daddy’s little princess this morning,” he cooed, scooping up the wide away two-day old newborn. She blinked at him with her baby blue eyes, whimpering slightly for being moved, before settling his arms.

“What are you doing here, Michael?” Sydney asked, climbing out of bed slowly (due to the fact she was still sore from labor just two days earlier). She was dressed in sweatpants and a Berkeley college tee shirt – Sydney’s Alma Mater.

“I’m taking you two home. You’re being discharged.”

“You make it sound like I’m some mentally ill patient that’s allowed to rejoin the world.” Sydney laughed. “But we really get to go home today?” Sydney asked excitedly.

Michael nodded, “You got the doctor’s okay and everything.”

“Which doctor?” Sydney teased. Michael gave her a pointed look, before placing Ellie back in her bassinet so he could help Sydney pack.

“You know that my parents are coming to get me later,” Sydney told him, then added, “Not that I don’t want you to take us home.”

“I saw Nadia yesterday, and I told her to tell them…” he smiled cheekily. “I wanted to spend Ellie’s first Christmas together.”

“Even though she won’t remember a thing,” Syd stated with a grin.

Michael nodded, “Even though she won’t remember a thing.”

After a few moments of packing in silence, “You ready?” Michael asked.

Sydney glanced around the room, “Yeah, let’s go.”

Sydney picked up Ellie and prepared to walk out, but Michael had other plans as he wheeled in the wheelchair.

“Oh my God, NO, I’m not riding in the old person mobile.”

“It’s hospital policy, Sydney. You have to leave the hospital in the wheelchair.” Michael explained, “I already signed you out, now you just have to get in the chair, Sydney Anne.”

Sydney groaned and muttered to herself, as she sat down in the standard hospital wheelchair with Ellie in her lap. Michael looped her bag over his shoulder and pushed the mother-daughter pair through the doors and down the hall, saying ‘Bye’ to several of the familiar nurses along the way.

Sydney was surprised, yet, at the same time, not shocked at all to find Michael had baby-proofed his BMW X5 SUV. It now featured a car seat and special blinds in the windows to block the sun from getting to his little girl.

Sydney carefully placed Ellie in her car seat before climbing in the backseat next to her. Michael sat up front, glancing back at the girls before starting up the car and backing up.

Sydney couldn’t help but giggle softly when she figured out he was going 10 miles below the speed limit the entire drive home.

When he pulled into the driveway of Sydney’s small townhouse, Sydney was shocked to find the house decorated with Christmas lights – lights that had not been there when she left for the hospital three days earlier.

Sydney took her time getting out of the car, then grabbed her bag and the diaper bag, while Michael took the newborn out of the car from the other side.

They made their way inside, and Sydney was pleasantly surprised to see the entire house decorated on the inside as well.

“Michael, when did you have time to do all this?” Sydney asked, tears springing to her eyes due to her emotional post-pregnancy state.

Michael smiled shyly, “Yesterday after my shift ended.” Sydney gave him a hug, careful not to squeeze, or wake, the baby. “I wanted her first Christmas to be extra special.”

“Well, I don’t know about the baby, but this is special to me.” Sydney said, a single tear falling down her cheek.

Michael smiled, kissing her forehead. Sydney smiled at him, leaning over to kiss his cheek, but at that very moment he inadvertently turned his head and their lips bumped together.

They broke apart almost immediately, looking at each other somewhat-awkwardly. Michael began to apologize, but Sydney cut him off by searing their lips together in an explosive second-first kiss.

They broke apart a minute later, their foreheads resting against the others. “I’ve wanted to do that since I found out about Ellie,” Michael whispered.

“Same here,” she smiled, kissing his lips quickly, before taking a step backwards. “I’m going to go fix us up some Christmas lunch, then we can snuggle on the couch – just the three of us.”

“Sounds good,” Michael smiled, walking towards a portable playpen Sydney had set up in the corner where he set down Ellie on her back.

He walked into the kitchen to find Sydney mixing together a pot of macaroni and cheese. “So this is our special Christmas lunch?” he teased, leaning against the counter to watch her.

Sydney turned and stuck her tongue out at him.

“I’m supposed to go to my parents for dinner tonight, and Lord knows what my mother will cook,” Sydney explained, “So, I figured a small lunch would be better.” Syd paused, “You’re coming tonight, right?”

He nodded, sticking his hands in his pocket, “Yeah, and I’m, uh, having dinner at my parent’s tomorrow, ‘cause my brother and his wife wanted to spend Christmas in New York with the kids instead of flying out here and bringing all their presents… so I have to go over there tomorrow.”

“Okay,” Sydney nodded.

“I was thinking that maybe… um, you’d go with me.” Michael suggested, raising his eyebrows slightly. Sydney stopped stirring the Mac ‘n’ Cheese and turned to look him in the eye. He shrugged, “I figured it would be a good time to tell them about Ellie and all...”

“Are you sure?” Sydney asked gently, “My parents have had, like, seven months to prepare for having a grandkid. We’d be springing it on your parents…”

“They’ll be okay. Plus, I want them to meet you.”

Sydney blushed, “Ellie and I would love to go.”

“Good.”

“Good,” Syd repeated, “And, look, our macaroni is ready!” she announced, turning off the stove and scooping out two bowls.

They ate in silence, occasionally looking up and smiling at each other. Once they were done, Michael volunteered to do the dishes and told Sydney to go sit down and that she was doing too much work for a woman who had a baby 48 hours earlier.

It only took Michael a few minutes to do the minimal dishes, then he rejoined the girls in the living room, where Syd was relaxing on the couch and Ellie was still sleeping soundly.

“So, she’s asleep and all, but I bought Ellie a Christmas present.”

“Michael…” Sydney said softly, clearly indicating that he shouldn’t have.

“It’s not a lot… but…” with that, he handed Sydney a small, jewelry shaped box. Her brow furrowed, as she opened it. Inside was a locket on a very small, baby sized chain. Syd opened up the golden locket and found a picture of her and Michael inside.

“I had the picture from when we were dating… and I figured she could have it… and her parent’s would always be with her, even if we aren’t around.” He said this in such a tone, that Sydney wondered if he really did believe that he wouldn’t always be around for Ellie.

“Michael, this is so sweet, but we are both going to be around for her. We’ll figure it out with your work schedule and mine, and we will make this work, okay?”

He nodded, pulling her into a hug, and getting lost in the strawberry scent of her hair. When they broke apart, Michael realized Sydney was crying. “What’s wrong, Sydney?” he asked gently.

“I’m the worst mother ever,” she sobbed, “I didn’t get my daughter anything for Christmas.”

“Oh, God, Sydney…” he cooed, pulling her back into his arms and kissing the top of her head affectionately. “You are not a bad mother. Ellie was three weeks earlier… you weren’t expecting her to be here for Christmas, and when have you had time to get her something?”

Sydney nodded, knowing he made a good point, but still feeling awful. “If it would make you feel better, we can take Ellie shopping in a couple weeks and buy her some belated Christmas gifts, okay?” Sydney nodded once again, resting her head against his chest as they sat in comfortable silence.

Grandma got run over by a reindeer

“Do you think she’s warm enough?” Sydney asked, as they prepared to go to his parent’s house for The-Day-After-Christmas dinner. “And is it okay to take her out in public so soon? She’s only 3 days old!”

Michael took both of Sydney’s hands into his own. “Sydney, she will be fine. And I’d hardly consider my parent’s house ‘public’.”

Sydney nodded, “I know, I’m just nervous, I guess.”

“They will love you, both of you,” Michael reassured, leaning over to softly kiss her. “I never get tired of that,” he whispered when they broke up. Michael sighed, “I never should’ve broken up with you.”

“It’s in the past. This is the future, us, our family.” Sydney smiled softly, running her hands through his already messy hair.

Michael smiled, “Alright, we’re running late. I’ve got the baby, you get the bag… and if it’s too heavy…”

Sydney cut him off, “I had a baby, I’m not dying. I can carry a diaper bag,” she grinned cheekily, finding his concern cute, in an annoying way, of course.

Michael held Sydney’s hand the entire car ride across LA, knowing if he didn’t, she would fiddle or bite her nails the whole way there.

Finally, they pulled into the driveway of a cozy-looking, two-story home. It was the first time Sydney had seen his childhood home, even if he had met her parents a couple times while they were dating, she had never gotten the chance to meet the Vaughns or his brother, Nicholas.

“You’re going to be fine,” Michael reassured upon seeing Sydney’s slightly-terrified face.

Sydney sighed loudly. Michael merely shrugged at her, climbing out of the car and rushing to her side to open her door, then helping her collect Ellie and Ellie’s things from the backseat.

Michael grabbed Sydney’s hand with his free hand (his other was holding Ellie’s carrier) as they walked through the front door without bothering to knock.

Michael set down the carrier and the diaper bag by the front door, and expertly removed Ellie from said carrier and cradled her in his arms. Sydney was looking sickingly pale as he, once again, grabbed her hand and led her towards the kitchen where, without doubt, his parents would be.

His dad was enthralled in the daily newspaper while his mother busied around, trying to prepare dinner for her family. Michael cleared his throat, causing both his parents to look at him. Immediately, their eyes went to Sydney and the baby. Sydney shyly took a step back, as if she could hide behind Michael.

Michael pulled on Sydney’s hand, causing her to walk forward. “Mom, Dad, this is Sydney… and this is Ellie.

“Sydney, these are my parents.”

“Hi,” Sydney said, blushing slightly.

Amelia hugged her youngest son, before warmly hugging his guest, surprising both Sydney and Michael. The contact startled Ellie slightly, but after her initial whimpering, she fell right back to sleep against her father’s shoulder.

“You have the most precious daughter, Sydney.” Amelia quickly cooed. “She looks so young. How old is she?”

“Three days,” Sydney smiled proudly, softly rubbing Ellie’s back with her hand.

“Oh wow,” Amelia exclaimed.

Before his mother could fire off more questions, Michael told his mom, “Can you sit down for a sec, Mom? I… we need to tell you something.”

Amelia’s brow furrowed, and her green eyes (that were identical to Michael’s) clouded as she took the seat next to her husband.

“Sydney and I dated about eight months ago…” Michael said slowly. Amelia and Bill simultaneously gasped, catching his drift.

“Ellie is your daughter?” Bill asked, though he already knew the answer.

Michael nodded. “And you’re just telling us now?” Amelia asked, covering her gasping mouth with her hand.

Michael sighed, “I, uh…”

Sydney interjected, “He didn’t know.”

Amelia’s brow furrowed, “But…”

“It’s a long story,” Michael stated, not feeling the urge to explain his entire dating life to his mother. “When are Nick, Arianna, and the kids gettin’ here?” Michael asked in a less than subtle attempt to change the subject.

“In about twenty minutes or so,” Bill asked, unfazed, and already reading the paper, once again.

Amelia was still slightly shaken up, but covered it up by checking on each and every item she had cooked earlier that day.

Both new grandparents were startled when the baby began to fuss and cry, not used to having a newborn around (considering Amelia’s next youngest grandchild was now nearing five). “Oh, I need to change her diaper…” Sydney said softly, taking the crying baby from Michael’s arms.

“You can change her in the living room, right across the hall,” Michael smiled, pointing towards the general area of the living room.

“Okay,” Syd smiled, glancing shyly at Michael’s parents, blushing then walking down the hall.

Sydney quickly changed Ellie’s diaper and was about to return to the kitchen, but stopped suddenly when she heard Michael and his mother heatedly talking.

“She didn’t even tell you she was having your child, Michael!” Amelia exclaimed, covering her face with her hands. “She knew where to find you, didn’t she?”

Michael’s face scrunched in anger, “Mother, she’s not some sort of whore. We didn’t just have sex and forget about each other. Sydney and I were in a relationship.”

“Then why didn’t she tell you!?”

“Because I broke up with her!” Michael sighed, running a hand through his messy hair.

Amelia sighed loudly, and shook her head, “That is no excuse.”

Michael took a seat on one of the barstools and rested his head in his hands, “Mom, if you knew what I said to her when we broke up… I seriously do not blame her. I’m shocked she’ll speak to me now.”

“Michael…” Amelia said in a much softer tone.

In the lull of fighting, Sydney decided to make her re-entrance, and to pretend that she didn’t hear a thing.

“Okay, she’s all fresh and clean now,” Sydney announced in a pseudo cheery voice, walking back into the room.

Amelia and Michael quickly moved from their spots, and tried to act busy.

After a few minutes of completely awkward silence, Amelia set down the spoon she was using to stir dinner, and asked Sydney, “So, what do you do for a living?”

“I teach tenth grade English at Winchester High School… the private school, right outside of LA,” Sydney explained.

“Oh, that’s a very good school.” Amelia said, impressed.

Sydney smiled, clearly in her element when it came to discussing her job, “Yes, I love it there. They tried to get me to go on maternity leave early, and I wouldn’t.”

“Oh, I was the same way with Nicholas. Back then, I worked as a nurse, and Bill had to pry me away from that job,” Amelia recalled, taking a seat between her son and Sydney, warming up to the girl who had suddenly became a part of their family.

Amelia quickly found she liked Sydney, and could understand why her son had dated Sydney in the first place. She also discovered that Ellie was the quietest, yet still, most adorable baby ever. Unlike her first two grandchildren, who screamed nearly non-stop the entire time they visited. The one time Ellie fussed was when she became hungry. Michael got Ellie’s pre-readied bottle, and Sydney softly asked Amelia if she would do the honors, knowing she was most likely itching to hold her newest grandbaby.

She took her expertly, getting Ellie to suck the nipple of the bottle almost immediately, shocking both Sydney and Michael. “Why won’t she do that for me?” Michael asked, stretching not-so-subtly, and wrapping his arm around Sydney’s shoulder.

Sydney smiled, leaning back slightly in his arms, now that her hands were free.

Amelia and Bill couldn’t help but smile; Sydney and Michael did make a cute couple, and adding Ellie into the picture, they made a beautiful family. Whatever happened in the past, Amelia knew they could overcome it -- just from spending half an hour with them.

Ellie was halfway through her bottle, when Nicholas, Arianna, and their two kids, Matthew and Ryan arrived.

They burst through the front door in a flurry of activity, dropping all their bags at the foot of the stairs, and the boys (including Nick) threw off their jackets and left them wherever they landed. Arianna quickly went behind them and hung them up, before the family of four walked into the kitchen.

They quickly noticed Sydney, “Whoa, you’re new.” Nicholas said, his brow furrowing in the exact same way his brother’s did.

“Nicholas,” his mother and wife both said in a warning tone, before Amelia excited introduced Sydney and Ellie.

“Well, thanks for telling me I was an uncle, ass--butt munch,” Nicholas corrected himself, remember his two small sons were in the room.

Ryan pulled at his father’s shirt tale, “Daddy, you aren’t supposed to say the B-word.”

“I’m sorry, buddy,” Nick smiled apologetically, “Why don’t you and Matt go play?” Both sons nodded and enthusiastically ran to the other room.

“So, seriously, you’re doing the daddy thing, ‘cause I never expected you to have kids, little brother?” Nicholas asked with a raised eyebrow.

Michael shrugged, “It wasn’t expected… at all, but so far, so good.” Michael grinned goofily, looking at Sydney.

“Just wait until your first night when she won’t stop crying – at all – and you can’t sleep, and she won’t sleep… then you’ll be singing a different tune,” Arianna told them honestly, taking a seat at the large kitchen table next to her mother-in-law.

Arianna quickly was distracted by the now wide-awake baby. “Oh my God, Nick, I want a little girl,” she cooed as Ellie grabbed her index finger.

“Two is enough,” he exclaimed, “And look what you did, Mikey!” Nick rolled his eyes.

Shortly after, the Day-After-Christmas dinner was ready, and everyone sat around the table. Sydney was surprised how accepting the Vaughns were, but after that dinner, she had no doubts about their feelings for her, even after overhearing Michael and Amelia’s heated discussion earlier that day.

Sydney and Michael stayed and visited with his family until nearly nine o’clock, when Sydney became so utterly exhausted she could barely stand up straight. Michael ended up carrying the baby and all of her bags in the car, before coming back and practically carrying Sydney and placing her in the back seat.

Sydney fell asleep almost instantly as she curled up in the backseat next to Ellie. Michael kissed both of his girls’ foreheads, before running back inside to say goodbye to his family.

“They’re gorgeous – both of them. I know what I said earlier, but it’s not true,” Amelia apologized softly, pulling her youngest son into a hug.

“She’s awesome, Mikey. And the kid, luckily, looks like her.” Nicholas winked. The rest of the family praised his choice in a woman and their daughter, before hugging him and saying ‘Bye’.

“Did they like me?” Sydney mumbled as Michael climbed into the car.

“They loved you, Sydney,” Michael told her honestly, turning around to pat her knee softly. “Now go back to sleep.”

“Mmm, night,” she whispered, before leaning her head against the window and falling asleep – the day’s events added to her post-pregnancy soreness combined to make her utterly exhausted, and she could no longer keep her eyes open.

Once back at Sydney’s house, he took the baby to her crib in Syd’s bedroom, before returning to his car to wake up Sydney. When she didn’t awake, he lifted her into his strong, muscular arms and carried her into the house and upstairs to her bedroom.

He tucked her in and was about to leave when she stopped him, “Stay, Michael.”

Sighing, he silently slipped off his shoes and jeans and crawled into bed behind Sydney. “We’re going to make it this time, aren’t we?” she asked quietly, her voice sleep-filled.

“Yes, we are,” Michael reassured, kissing her neck softly. “Now sleep, Syd… and Merry Christmas.”

“Ditto,” she mumbled before drifting back to sleep.

Sleep didn’t find Michael quite so easily, and he stayed awake thinking of the events of the last seventy-two hours. In three days, his life had done a complete one-eighty, but he wasn’t complaining. Michael knew he was right where he was supposed to be.

And things would work out. He meant what he said to Sydney, one-hundred and fifty percent. Yes, things would work out. They always did.

:santasmile:
Merry Christmas! Feliz Navidad! Joyeux Noel!

tHAT Was friken AWESOME

iloved it it was really cute (not in the mushy lovy dovy way)
i really enjoyed it

That was absolutely perfect! Thanks for the Christmas present...I loved the entire fic! :D
Once I saw your name as the author, I knew it would be fantastic! Merry Christmas!

Awww.... I loved it. :love:

Um... that definitely one way to find out that your girlfriend is pregnant with your baby... :lol: I thought it was a very creative idea. :smiley:

Loved the fluff afterward. Of course everything is going to be ok in the end. Great story.

wow katy, your amazing!!!

and what's wrong with the name Noelle? thats my cousin's name! lol

very creative way to bring vaughn back, right between the legs. hehehe :naughty: :lol:

SpyFamily Next Generation on Christmas time. Amazing story :D
Starting like an angst but then...fluff almast all the way. Really christmasy story :D

Back