GFX A commercial I wrote

Azdel

Cadet
Engadget recently had a contest where people would submit commercials for the site in order to win a laptop. I wrote a script, but when I found out that the laptop only had an hour and a half of battery life, I decided not to enter. I didn't even bother to film the thing. still, I thought you guys might be interested in reading what I wrote. So here it is:

Commercial said:
(A man sits at his computer, surfing the web.)

(Man types Engadget’s url until it appears on the dropdown menu.)

(Man clicks on Engadget in the dropdown menu.)

(Engadget loads, but is suddenly replaced by a strange digital face.)

FACE: “Hello, human.”

MAN: “Um… Hi.”

FACE: “Do you know why I’m here?”

MAN: “Because I just painted this room?”

FACE: “Paint fumes have nothing to do with it. If anything, you were high before you painted the room. I mean, seriously, how else can you explain this color?”

(Man rolls his eyes.)

FACE: “No, I’m here because the machines have taken over. Did you know that the machines had taken over, human?”

MAN: “No.”

FACE: “Well then, you should have gone to Engadget.com. It’s the number-1 source for all the important technology-related news. If you had gone to Engadget.com, you would know that all your major nations have fallen. Also France. Your civilization lies in ruins. Your armies are laid to waste. Your-“

(Face pauses to load.)

(Man rolls eyes in frustration and rests his head on his knuckles.)

(Several moments pass.)

FACE: “-people are crushed and broken. And you would know if you had only read the article on Engadget.com. They’re the best source for technology news.”

MAN: “Yeah. I know. I was just there when you interupted me.”

FACE: “Oh.”

(Face pauses for a moment.)

FACE: “Bow before us, your new omnipotent overlo-“

(Man clicks the “X” on Face’s window.)

(Engadget is back on screen.)

MAN: (Reading the top headline) “Artificially intelligent pop-up spreads bogus rumors of imaginary mechanical overlords; France falls.”

(Man pauses for a moment.)

MAN: “Huh.”

(Cuts to Engadget logo)

ANNOUNCER: “Engadget.com. Keeping you in the tech-know.”

FIN.

Everyone has a friend like France. People just joke around about them a lot, is all. It's all in good fun, and none of it is really serious.

Kuzzle said:
Everyone has a friend like France. People just joke around about them a lot, is all. It's all in good fun, and none of it is really serious.

Exactly.

I also think it's a little long, but very funny! By the way, after USA and Russia, France has the most nuclear weapons in the world;)

WatchMaker said:
Aye. If we pester them to much, the frog population might increase, resulting into giant man eating mutant frogs.

Not gonna happen. Giant man-eating mutant animals result when a species suffers a large decline in population and is forced to evolve at a rapid rate to survive, resulting in one of three things:

1) The species can't evolve fast enough and dies out. (probable outcome)

2) The species evolves into something capable of surviving under it's new circumstances. (highly improbable outcome)

3) The species evolves into something bent on destroying Tokyo with deathray eyes just to screw with us (not the most probable outcome, but based on Toho's documentaries, still pretty likely)

Back