A Day at the Park

Raptor

Cadet
Title: A Day at the Park
Author: Raptor
Disclaimer: I own no part of Alias or the corresponding characters, I just adore them. No profit will be made from this story.

Jack made his way through the city park along the winding asphalt path to the series of slatted wooden benches just off the lone pond’s southern edge. The seating area faced a small playground built upon a sand filled rectangular plot. Suit coat and tie had been abandoned before the trek from the office had begun. He knew from past experience his lapel had little chance of remaining unscathed from an afternoon with his granddaughter. His tie, it was a deadly weapon in Isabelle’s hands as far as he was concerned. He considered her well developed skills for a field agent of less than 6 months. Like mother, like daughter, he thought.

A giggling group of mothers supposedly watching their older children scamper among the playground equipment, intermittently glanced at the handsome new arrival sporting the young infant on his shoulder. Oblivious to the attention he has garnering, Jack sat down at the furthest bench, rearranging little Isabelle onto his knee. She cooed quietly as she stared happily into her grandpa’s eyes. A rare grin unknowingly graced his lips and he returned her smile with one of his own.

Moments later Isabelle began to cry. Jack lifted her to his shoulder and tenderly tapped her upper back until a gentle burp was expelled. Removing his jacket had been good foresight, he mused. Suddenly fascinated with the tantalizing tresses just within grasp, Isabelle reached up to firmly grab hold of a few curly locks just behind his ear. Quickly he reached up himself and gently untangled her little fingers from his silvered hair. A quick trim might be in order before their next mission together, he noted.

Isabelle’s breathing began to slow as her sleepy eyelids started to lose their battle with gravity. Jack thought of similar moments nearly 30 years past, holding his own daughter in his arms as she drifted off to sleep. Those had been good times, the best of his life. Only recently had he been able to begin to reclaim those memories for himself, no longer tainted by his wife’s betrayal and its aftermath.

As she entered the park she spotted the two of them from afar. It’s a sight she thought she’d never see: Jack Bristow, bouncing his baby granddaughter on his knee! She smiled inwardly and thinks what a wonderful doting grandfather he makes. It is a gift he richly deserves. She thinks back to her lonely pregnancy and how difficult a trial it had been to go through, knowing the man she loved was alive, but not by her side to help her through the ordeal. Isabelle’s life is so rich with hope and possibility, she thinks, and she desperately wishes for it to be untouched by ancient prophesies and the world’s evil.

“Dad?” Dad, are you OK?,” Sydney asks a second time as she gently grasps Jack’s forearm. His attention gained, he glances up, “Hi sweetheart. I was…I’m fine. Your daughter has been a perfect angel. She seems to be the talk of the playground. That group of women keep looking over here and smiling.” Sydney, unsuccessfully attempting to resist a giggle, reached down to lift Isabelle into her arms. With a raised brow, suddenly Jack looked off into the distance, his attention momentarily captured by the retreating park visitors.

Earlier today intelligence had been gathered and the current phase of the mission successfully accomplished. She reluctantly admits she has indulged herself long enough with this side trip. With a last glance at Jack, Isabelle and newly arrived Sydney, she closes her eyes briefly to sear this image into her brain. Slowly, Irina turns away and disappears into the waning crowd.

Fin

Grandpa Jack is a cutie, isn’t he?

Thanks so much for reading and commenting apofieldagentnadiasantos.

Hey Raptor! nice thread! I really like to read it. Amazing!

Back