A DEATH IN KASHMIR

lenafan

Cadet
Here we go with an interesting premise...Irina and Vaughn together in trouble...what angst...what happens in this tense relationship...
As always these characters belong to JJ Abrams and his evil cadre of writers...
The story is co-written as you can hopefully see.
Enjoy

A DEATH IN KASHMIR
BY LENAFAN & KYLO4

CHAPTER ONE

KIDNAPPED

Irina sat looking out the window as the plane flew toward Paris in the late spring. She was going to Sydney’s wedding. It would be a family affair with she and Jack, Vaughn’s mother, Irina’s father and a few close friends from the CIA: Dixon, Weiss, Marshall Flinkman and his wife, Carrie, and, of course, Will Tippin. Vaughn’s mother! She had been so taken aback when Sydney told her she would be there. She had assumed Bill’s wife was dead. Now she would have to face and talk to the wife of the man she had killed so many years ago. That was going to be difficult.

Someone was standing close by. She looked up to see the stewardess. “Yes?”

“The gentleman over there,” she pointed in the direction of a dark-haired, dark skinned man sitting two rows in front of her and on the other side of the aisle, “would like to buy you a drink. I said I would ask.”

“Tell him thanks, but I don’t know him and,” she paused, “he does not know who I am. Do you?”

The stewardess nodded, “Yes, Colonel, I do.”

Irina looked at her. “Then…you will take care of it for me?”

“Of course.”

Irina smiled to herself. She still was attractive enough to have someone want to buy her a drink. She wondered what Jack would say. She touched the diamond ring he had given to her on the occasion of their last anniversary. He had been absolutely floored when she produced the wedding band she had kept for so many years, asking him to put it back on her finger. That night had been a wonderful reprise of the time in Hawaii.

Her heart missed a beat as she thought about tonight when they would together again. She planned to stay in Paris for three or four days, not only to attend the wedding, but also, to be with Jack. It had been two months since she had seen him. She looked out the window again. She wondered if he would be picking her up.

Sydney looked at Vaughn adoringly. He was so handsome. He was putting on his jacket. She had asked him to go to the airport to pick up Mom. His mother was already in Paris and Jack promised to show her a little of the city. Then, Irina had called to say she was taking an earlier flight and would be landing about ten in the morning. General Probukov, Sydney’s grandfather was coming later. Sydney had some last minute things to do before the wedding, so she’d asked him to go. She knew Irina was not his favorite person to be alone with, but he did agree. He still had issues about the death of his father and the two of them had never really talked about it. He was forever dodging the discussion even though Irina seemed to be willing now.

Sydney sighed. One of these days… “It’s almost nine thirty. You’d better get going.”

“Well she’s got to go through customs.”

“No, she doesn’t. She’s got a diplomatic passport.”

“Oh yeah, I forgot.” He grabbed the keys to the rental car, kissed her and left.

Irina stood at the baggage center watching for her bag. She had packed lightly, so once she found her it, she could exit out to the loading area. She trusted Sydney to make sure someone would pick her up.

“Excuse me, Colonel Derevko.” The voice was soft and with an Arabic accent.

She turned to see the man from the plane – the one who had offered to buy her a drink. “Yes?”

“I wish to apologize for intruding upon you in the plane. You are a very attractive woman. I would have liked to talk to you.”

She smiled. “Thank you, but I’m married. I do not know you. I hope you will understand.” She studied him for a moment and decided she did not like him, although she was sure they had never met.

“Then I shall leave. Again, my apologies.” He turned and left.

Her bag tumbled out of the baggage tunnel onto the carousel. She picked it up and with her passport in hand was waved through. She exited out the double doors into the loading area. She looked around. She didn’t see Jack or Sydney. She certainly stood out among other waiting passengers. She was in a rust colored woolen pants suit, wearing high heeled boots which put her at about six two. Her hair was the color of brown chestnuts with hints of red gold throughout. Around her shoulders she had tossed a lightweight coat. She put on dark glasses as it was bright outside, a beautiful spring day in Paris.

She heard a horn, turned and saw a car pulling up in front of her. The driver got out and she saw it was Vaughn. She gave him a brief smile. He took her bag and put it into the trunk, then held the door for her to get.

“You are looking good, Michael.” Irina smiled again at him.

“Thanks!” He pulled out into traffic. Neither said anything for a time.

“How have you been,” she asked.

“Fine, and you?”

“Fine…” her voice trailed off a little, then she swallowed, “I understand your Mother is going to be here also.”

He nodded, not wishing to look at her. “Yeah, she’s out with Jack right now, doing some sight-seeing.”

“Good, it is a beautiful city,” she said. She looked down at her hands, the ones that held the gun to his father’s head and finger that pulled the trigger.

Vaughn said nothing more. He was busy driving and always had felt uncomfortable around Irina. Ahead there seemed to be congestion. A couple of police cars were blocking the way. Two men jumped out and motioned him to turn right in a detour. He swung the wheel and turned down a narrow street. Suddenly a black SUV pulled out in front of them and stopped. Vaughn jammed on the brakes. Then the car was hit from the rear, jamming him up against the SUV. The front doors were pulled open. Gas was shot into both their faces. Irina and Vaughn immediately lost consciousness. They were pulled out and carried into the back of the front SUV. One man drove them off, the other climbed in behind the wheel of Vaughn’s car and followed. The car that had been behind turned at the first opportunity and melted into traffic. There was no evidence that Irina and Vaughn had ever been there.

They had disappeared.

Ok, I PM'ed you the second chapter, tell me what you think of it when you get the chance.
kylo4

Ok, here's the next chapter everybody.
kylo4

A Death In Kashmir
Chapter 2
Missing
Jack was taking Mrs. Vaughn around Paris. This
woman, would be his daughter’s mother-in-law, if the marriage happened. Just yesterday,
Jack had, had a quick chat with Sydney about how he disagreed with some things that Vaughn
did, and how he might not always be there for her when she needed him. His worries made Sydney’s head want to explode.
He worries too much.
But now that he was actually with
Vaughn’s mother, she felt he might get to know Vaughn better, through her.

Jack walked across the parking lot, heading towards a taxi, when his pager went off. With a
quick glance at it, and a slight smile now turning into an angry face, Jack said his regrets to
Vaughn’s mother, put her in a taxi and then left in a separate one.

Meanwhile, at the hotel, Will and Marshall were talking. It had something to do about a brand of
coke that has some sort of drug in it. Of course, Marshall was doing most of the talking while
Will, tried to not get bothered by Marshall’s stuttering. Carrie, on the other hand, was talking to Dixon about a new jazz band she liked.

Sydney was out. She told everybody that she was going out to the shopping, and hadn’t been back for three hours. She told them she was buying some last minutes things for the wedding and the party after.They didn’t mind,

Jack got out of the taxi and looked up at the hotel to make sure that it was
the right one. He entered and walked into the elevator, pressed the floor number that Sydney was on. Moments later he entered her room, seeing Will,Carrie, Dixon and Marshall all talking to each other.
Jack asked where Weiss and Sydney were. “Well, Wiess is at the bar downstairs, trying to pick up a French girl and is probably telling her
those bad jokes that he told me on the airplane.” Will paused. "Sydney's been gone about three hours. She said she was going shopping, but she also may have been looking for you. She seemed a little upset."
"Do you know why?"
Will wasn't sure he should say more, then said, "No. I'm sorry I can't help you more."slipped out o
Jack left and took the elevator back down to the lobby. He was on his
way out when he just so happened to bump into Sydney. She at her father nervously, and then said, “Dad, I think that Vaughn and Mom are missing.”
At the mention of Irina, Jack's heart beat faster. He gave a little nervous look of his own before slowly replying. “Why do you think that?”
Sydney answered. "Vaughn was supposed to pick up Mom at ten thirty, and they still haven’t arrived here yet.”
“Well, how do you know that the plane isn’t late or something?”
Sydney looked right in her father’s eyes, and replied in a sort of soft whisper, “Because I checked the flight stats and data and there have been no delayed flights today.”

Jack looked away from Sydney, to let this information sink into his brain. He’d gone through
worse, much worse, but the fact that this time it was Sydney’s future husband and his own wife.

He replied hesitantly, “Have you called the police?"

Sydney shook her hed. "No, but we can do it now. I just wanted you to know first.:"
She started to cry.

Jack put his arm around her. "It's going to okay. Let's also call the hospitals just in case there an accident. We'll get Marshall and Dixon to help. If need be, will get the Paris CIA agent to lend hand if we can't locate them."

He shivered. Something told him that Irina and Vaughn were missing.

:cool: As promised, third chapter

Chapter 2
Missing

Jack was taking Mrs. Vaughn around Paris. This woman, would be his daughter’s mother-in-law, if the marriage happened. Just yesterday, Jack had, had a quick chat with Sydney about how he disagreed with some things that Vaughn did, and how he might not always be there for her when she needed him. His worries made Sydney’s head want to explode. But now that he was actually with Vaughn’s mother, she felt he might get to know Vaughn better, through her.

Jack walked across the parking lot, heading towards a taxi, when his pager went off. With a
quick glance at it, and a slight smile now turning into an angry face, Jack said his regrets to
Vaughn’s mother, put her in a taxi and then left in a separate one.

Meanwhile, at the hotel, Will and Marshall were talking. It had something to do about a brand of
coke that has some sort of drug in it. Of course, Marshall was doing most of the talking while
Will, tried to not get bothered by Marshall’s stuttering. Carrie, on the other hand, was talking to Dixon about a new jazz band she liked.

Sydney was out. She told everybody that she was going out to the shopping, and hadn’t been back for three hours. She told them she was buying some last minutes things for the wedding and the party after. They didn’t mind,

Jack got out of the taxi and looked up at the hotel to make sure that it was
the right one. He entered and walked into the elevator, pressed the floor number that Sydney was on. Moments later he entered her room, seeing Will, Carrie, Dixon and Marshall all talking to each other.
Jack asked where Weiss and Sydney were. “Well, Weiss is at the bar downstairs, trying to pick up a French girl and is probably telling her those bad jokes that he told me on the airplane.” Will paused. "Sydney's been gone about three hours. She said she was going shopping, but she also may have been looking for you. She seemed a little upset."

"Do you know why?"

Will wasn't sure he should say more, then said, "No. I'm sorry I can't help you more."

Jack left and took the elevator back down to the lobby. He was on his way out when he happened to bump into Sydney. She at her father nervously, and then said, “Dad, I think that Vaughn and Mom are missing.”

At the mention of Irina, Jack's heart beat faster. He gave a little nervous look of his own before slowly replying. “Why do you think that?”

Sydney answered. "Vaughn was supposed to pick up Mom at ten thirty, and they still haven’t arrived here yet.”

“Well, how do you know that the plane isn’t late or something?”

Sydney looked right in her father’s eyes, and replied in a sort of soft whisper, “Because I checked the flight stats and data and there have been no delayed flights today.”

Jack looked away from Sydney, to let this information sink into his brain. He’d gone through
worse, much worse, but the fact that this time it was Sydney’s future husband and his own wife.

He replied hesitantly, “Have you called the police?"

Sydney shook her head. "No, but we can do it now. I just wanted you to know first.:" She started to cry.

Jack put his arm around her. "It's going to okay. Let's also call the hospitals just in case there was an accident. We'll get Marshall and Dixon to help. If need be, will get the Paris CIA agent to lend hand if we can't locate them."

He shivered. Something told him that Irina and Vaughn were missing.

CHAPTER 3
ESCAPE

Vaughn was shaken awake by the truck hitting a bump. He had a terrible taste in his mouth and his head ached fiercely. He groaned and opened his eyes. Looking up he saw the ceiling of a truck, which told him nothing. He tried turning over, but his right wrist would not go but a foot or so before it resisted. He looked to the right and saw her. Irina! Then he saw why he couldn’t move his wrist. Whoever had knocked them out had chained them together. They had only two feet of chain separating them.

Irina stirred. “Jack?” she murmured.

Vaughn grimaced. “No, it’s Michael.”

She opened her eyes, looking at him. “Where are we?”

“Dunno. Looks like we’re in the back of a truck of some kind.” As he spoke, the truck turned and slowed down.

“How long have we been out?”

He looked at his watch, “It’s been at least twelve hours. Must be nighttime.”

She now felt the chain and struggled to sit up. “Looks like they don’t want us to leave.”

Suddenly, he heard voices. “Quiet,” he whispered. The truck had stopped.

“Il pieno, per favore y che distanza c’e a Firenze?”

“Cento chilemetri!”

“Grazi!”

Irina sat up listening, then said to Vaughn, “We’re in Italy.” She frowned, thinking. The driven had spoken with an accent. It had been one she had heard recently.

He nodded. “Sounds like we’re close to Florence. According to the station attendant we’re about a hundred kilometers.”

Suddenly the truck gave a lurch, throwing them both backward to the floor. The driver was in a hurry. Neither could hear what was being said since the two men were speaking quietly and the radio was on. Irina studied the chain on her wrist. Then she looked at Vaughn.

“You have any idea why we were kidnapped?”

“Not a clue.” He looked into her dark eyes. God, he thought, they were even darker than Sydney’s. He grimaced. He was feeling bad. They would have been married by this time.

Irina saw the look on his face. She put her hand on his. “Vaughn—Michael, it will be all right. They’ll find us. Or maybe we can find a way out.”

He straightened up and gave her a brief grin. “Yeah. Well, looks like we have to work together if we’re going anywhere.”

She shot him a funny look, then gave a short laugh. “Guess we will.”

Moments later, they were standing at the back of the truck, near its rear door. They both looked for a handle or something that would tell them whether or not they were locked inside. Vaughn saw the inside lift handle. He motioned for Irina to stand close to him as he tried to raise the door. The door started to rise. He stopped, looking at her in amazement.

“They didn’t lock it.” He whispered in her ear.

She nodded, also surprised. “Wait. The truck’s going too fast. Chained together we could hurt ourselves jumping at this speed.”

“Yes, I know.”

“We should wait until the truck has to stop.”

A half-hour passed. They heard more street noise. It was getting close to eleven thirty according to his watch. Vaughn wanted to open the door, but kept holding back as Irina listened, holding up a hand to stop any quick move on his part. She seemed to be listening for something in particular.

“Now!” she hissed. They both raised the handle. They had discussed whether to go right and cross the street, or left, where the passenger side occupant might see them. Right had been the decision.

They jumped down, in front of two very surprised Italians in a small car. Vaughn had Irina’s hand in his. He was hoping it would minimize the chance of anyone noticing the chain. There was no traffic coming the opposite way. They ran swiftly to the other side of the street. Irina saw a small alley. She darted to it, with Vaughn at her side. They did not look back. They had to get some distance between them and their captors. Irina seemed to know where they were because she unerringly led the way to another street, another alley until they had gone at least a mile in Vaughn’s estimate.

She slowed down slightly. “You okay?”

He was a little miffed by the suggestion he was out of shape. “Yes, I’m fine. Do you know where we are?”

She nodded. “We have to cross the Arno and get into the heart of Florence. My apartment is near there.” She glanced at her watch.

“Think they know you have one?”

“Don’t talk. Just follow me.”

They seemed to be going downhill. There were more cars and people now. Vaughn had never been in Florence, although he had heard Sydney talk about it. He was now seeing it at a disadvantage. It was night and they were being chased by the kidnappers. They would not be happy they had escaped. He followed Irina blindly as he considered why they had been taken at the airport. It had to be Irina they wanted. Of course, there were many reasons for someone to take her prisoner. He could have done it himself a couple of years ago, but now…he glanced at her. Sydney’s mother remained a mystery to him and others. Only Jack and Sydney had cracked the code. What was he missing in this woman that they saw and knew but were not telling?

Irina stopped, gripping his right arm. “The river.”

He looked up and saw the Ponte Vecchio, the covered bridge that led from one side of the river to the other. Mostly jewelry and leather shops were inside the ancient bridge.

“See anything,” he murmured, looking in both directions.

“No, let’s go.” They crossed the street over to the sidewalk next to the river. Irina’s head was turning constantly. Looking for anything that might indicate they were being hunted.

At the entrance of the Ponte Vecchio, she held him up a moment, then said, “Follow me.”

They had escaped their kidnappers. Now they had to get the chain off their wrists.

Back