A Father's Lament

Chapter 10

Lydecker stood staring through the window into the secured infirmary room, at the girl on the hospital bed. She was tied down with padded leather restraints, despite being heavy knocked out. They were taking all the precautions necessary. Lydecker rubbed his eyes. It had been more than a day since he had gotten any real sleep, but now quite frankly, he was too worried to shut his eyes.

The echo of heels on the tile floor filled the hallway. Judging by the delay between steps, he knew who it was without even glancing up. Renfro! The bitch was walking down the corridor towards him, the typical sinister smirk on her face. She stopped and stood beside him, glancing through the window at the X5 on the bed. “Hello, Deck. So how is the X5?”

Lydecker glared at her. “Her recovery isn’t certain.”

Renfro nodded with an amused smile. “It seems you’ve actually made some progress since we last spoke. So which one is this?”

“X5-825,” Lydecker replied. “What do you want, Renfro?”

“McGinnis reported to me,” Renfro began. “Said you hesitated in bringing down this girl.”

“825 already had two bullets in her,” Lydecker corrected.

“But according to the reports, X5-825 was still standing and refusing to surrender,” Renfro went on. “You should have been the one to pull the trigger, Deck, not McGinnis.”

Lydecker sighed. “What the hell was he doing there anyway?”

“Keeping an eye on you, on my orders,” Renfro commented. “The Committee isn’t happy with your progress, Deck.”

“We’ve recaptured three of the escaped X5s this year alone,” Lydecker rebuked.

“Not the way I heard it,” Renfro continued in a tone so calm that it was irritating. “X5-734 was brought in on medical circumstances and X5-599 practically turned himself in. You’re not finding your ‘kids’, Deck. They’re finding you. This one is the exception. What is it you call her? ‘Ivy’?”

Lydecker didn’t reply. He only kept staring straight ahead.

“I remember reading somewhere in a report a few years back that you had a personal attachment to this X5,” Renfro stated. “I hope that won’t interfere with your judgment. An X5 is an X5. They are expendable.” She smirked and walked off.

Lydecker sat patiently keeping a vigil over the teenage X5. He had long since tuned out the beeping monitors from his hearing and was only listening to the respirator in its long whooshes of air. Ivy would have been dead probably if she was anything but an X5. Lydecker sighed and let his eyes wonder around the room. His duty shift had long since ended, but he felt he couldn’t leave her for the chance that she might wake up. And he wanted to be there when she did.

Ivy opened her eyes. Light was coming from a window somewhere behind her, but she still couldn’t make out anything beyond her blurred vision. She searched around, but wasn’t able to find anything of recognizable shape. She blinked and almost instantly things began to un-fog. Glancing down at her arms she noticed the padded leather straps around her wrists and a number of IV tubes taped to her hand. In an instinctive move, she tried pulling against the restraint. “Damn,” Ivy let out a strained breath.

There was a rustling of paper and Ivy’s attention was turned towards the far end of the room. Someone was folding up a newspaper. The instant the person dropped the paper on a table and stood, Ivy swallowed. Lydecker.

He paced towards her until he was standing right next to the bed. He regarded her with kind eyes that also showed a hint of exhaustion. “Good. You’re awake.”

“What happened?” Ivy forced herself to stay relatively calm. “Where am I?”

Lydecker pulled up a chair and sat down next to her. “You don’t remember, 825?”

Ivy was silent. She looked away from him.

“You were shot three times by the TAC team, you were lucky to survive. You’re home.”

Ivy gritted her teeth. “This is not my home.”

Lydecker paused. “You know exactly what happened, Ivy.”

I can cope with this. “What about my parents?”

“They’ve been dealt with.”

“What do you mean ‘dealt with’?” she questioned, rather fiercely and suddenly shut her eyes as a knife was stabbed into her lung. At least that was what it felt like.

Lydecker kept a calm face. “You had a collapsed lung. The chest tube was just removed a few hours ago. It’s going to hurt for a while.”

Ivy slowly took a shallow breath. “Just answer my question.”

“We’ve covered up your disappearance,” he explained. “Made it look like you ran away. I figured they didn’t need a tragedy at Christmas time.”

Ivy stared past him out the window. On a snow-covered tree branch, a bright red Cardinal was preening its feathers. The bird seemed to look right at her before it flapped its wings and flew away. Ivy hesitantly met Lydecker’s ice blue stare. “Have I really been out that long?”

“About five days.”

“You didn’t recognize me for a month.”

“I had my suspicions. But then most of the X5s I’ve run into since the escape have actually remembered what they are. They typically run at the sight of me.”

Ivy just shook her head. “Zack’s here, isn’t he?”

“I’m not at liberty to answer that question.”

Ivy tested the restraints on her wrists. Lydecker noticed this and smirked. “Don’t hurt yourself.”

Ivy rolled her eyes. “Clearly it’s a little late for that. So should I even ask what happens now?”

“You’re going to be reindoctrinated after recovery.”

“Perfect. Psy-Ops.”

“And I’ll expect a more respectful tone from you, soldier.”

“Excuse me if the morphine’s making me disrespectful, Sir,” Ivy gave her best attempt at sarcasm despite the fire burning in her chest.

Lydecker smiled and in a rather unnatural gesture of care he touched her face. “I’m glad to have you back.”

Ivy glared at him, forcing all her emotions into sending him a message.

Lydecker stepped back and nodded. “Get some rest.” He walked out and shut the door behind him.

“How’s she doing?” Sandoval questioned when Lydecker emerged from the infirmary.

“Surprisingly accepting,” Lydecker remarked. “She might be easier to reindoctrinate than we were expecting.”

Two days later, Ivy was doing better. Not happy, but physically better. She was sitting up in bed, but still restrained after knocking out an orderly with a food tray. The man was now avoiding going anywhere near her, trying to hide his broken nose. Ivy had spotted him slinking by the window a few times.

The room’s single door opened and Lydecker walked in. He pulled up a chair beside her bed as he usually did. “How are you this morning, soldier?”

“I’m about to puke all over you if you call me that again,” Ivy replied.

Lydecker merely smiled. “At least your temper is back.”

“Is this going to become a routine with you?”

“You’ll be out of here in a few days. Start training again.”

“After the brainwashing?”

Lydecker smiled slightly. Ivy knew exactly what was going on. The difference was that he had actually gotten to know her as a person, as she had him. They had been friends before they were enemies. He knew that if this had really been any of the other X5s, he likely wouldn’t be having this cordial of a conversational argument. “I’m not going to lie to you, Ivy.”

Ivy glanced up at the IV pole beside her bed. Over the days, the number of bags hanging had dwindled from several down to one. She glared at Lydecker and he could tell she was contemplating strangling him with the tubing.

Ivy sighed. “I know Zack’s here.”

“I told you before,” Lydecker remarked. “I can’t answer that question.”

“It’s not a question. It’s a statement.”

“What makes you think he’s here?”

“Alan told me,” Ivy replied matter-of-factly. “A couple weeks ago.”

Lydecker glanced away through the barred windows to the outside hall. “Lieutenant Smith shouldn’t be talking about Manticore business to civilians.”

“I’m not a civilian,” she remarked.

Lydecker raised a hand to his temple. “When did you get your memory back?”

Ivy looked away from him and shut her eyes, clearly trying to block him out.

“Ivy,” Lydecker said. “I do expect you to answer me when I speak to you.”

Ivy didn’t even look at him, but let out a deep breath. “The same day I got shot. It was like opening a floodgate, it all just came back. Damn it! I didn’t know any better. All I wanted to do was play my cello.”

“This doesn’t mean you have to stop playing,” Lydecker offered. “Being a musician is a good cover for solo missions.”

Ivy rolled her eyes. “Sure, a sonata and an assassination all in one night, perfect for the mark that has everything but a bullet in his forehead.”

“You’ve killed people before, Ivy.”

Ivy shut her eyes.

“You know what it feels like to take a life. You know you were following my orders and you know it was necessary.”

Ivy’s eyes snapped open. “That doesn’t excuse it as good!”

“Ivy,” Lydecker spoke in a warning tone.

“God have mercy on your soul. I certainly won’t.”

Lydecker seemed slightly taken aback. “Don’t tell me you’ve adopted religious views.”

Ivy sighed and shook her head. “There are some things I believe in, but I’m definitely not one to flip open a Bible and start quoting scripture. When I was little, in the barracks, alone at night, everyone else was sleeping, I always felt like someone was watching me. I knew there were cameras and I knew I wasn’t alone, but there was something else. It’s why I wasn’t afraid of bleeding to death back there. It’s why your men got off with just bad concussions. And it’s probably why you’ll keep me in Psy-Ops until I stop talking like this.”

Lydecker shook his head. “No. I wouldn’t do that to you.”

Ivy narrowed her eyes. “Why not?”

Lydecker swallowed. He stood and regarded her with nod before walking out.

Happy belated St. Patrick’s Day! :clover:

Chapter 11

Ivy had been fiddling with the restraint latch for several minutes before it popped open and Ivy quickly used her free hand to undo the other bonds. She glanced at her wrist and pulled the IV needle out. The guards outside would be changing right now. No one had walked by the window in several minutes. Taking a deep breath, she swung her legs over the edge of the bed and planted them on the cold tile floor. In the next instant she was standing and then falling, her legs giving out under the weight of her body, her face meeting the floor.

Ivy let out a sob of frustration and pushed herself up on her arms. In her distracted state of mind she had not heard the door open. Her blue eyes settled on a pair of shined black leather shoes. She didn’t have to look up.

“What are you doing?” Lydecker’s tone was accusing, but not harsh.

Escaping again. She still didn’t look up.

The next sound to escape from his mouth was a sigh and Ivy felt a hand under her arm. He hauled Ivy to her feet. She pushed him away and started to fall again, but he caught her. “Stop it, Ivy,” he said, gripping her by the shoulders and staring into her frightened eyes. “You need to trust me.”

Ivy averted her gaze to avoid those eyes that seemed to bore right through her. “I don’t trust you.” She pulled away and under her own weakened strength managed to sit on the edge of the bed. She studied the lines on her hands.

Lydecker paced to stand beside her. He lifted the broken wrist restraint. “We’ve been meaning to redesign these.”

Ivy looked at him. “No lecture?”

“I’m getting there,” he replied and ran a hand over his face. “What were you doing?”

“That’s quite obvious,” Ivy remarked.

“I want to hear you say it, soldier.”

“I was scoping the place out, Sir,” Ivy answered.

“For what reason, 825?” Lydecker snapped in a sudden tone that made her jump. “You’re wounded and locked up.”

“Because it’s what you taught me to do.”

“In enemy territory,” Lydecker said. “I am not your enemy, Ivy. Not anymore.”

Ivy just shook her head.

Lydecker sighed and picked up the chart at the foot of the bed. He glanced over it and then looked back at her. “You’ve made a swift recovery. I never expected less from you. The doctors are about to sign your release to Psy-Ops.”

Ivy stared through him.

“I know you think you’ll be able to resist and I know you think you’re different from everyone else who’s gone in there. You’re not. You’re a solider, just the same.”

Ivy pursed her lips and pushed the loose black locks of hair from her face. She looked at Lydecker again. “Why do I get the feeling you’re not telling me something, Sir?”

Lydecker hung up the chart rather violently and took a deep breath. “You will learn not to question authority, soldier!”

Their eyes locked for a moment. Her gaze didn’t waver as she stared at him. His eyes were like looking in a mirror of hidden rage. There was definitely something Lydecker wasn’t saying.

Lydecker tossed the reports on his desk and sat down. He glanced at the photos along the wall and stepped towards one which he pulled down, seven year old Ivy. There was no need to keep it up since she was back home now. Rather reluctantly though and reminding Lydecker more and more of her mother everyday. The defiance in her eyes when she’d been transferred to Psy-Ops had reached something in his heart. It was a typical reaction he’d gotten from the escaped X5s. But Ivy wasn’t as smart-assed as Max. She hadn’t met the orders with a rebellious retort, but rather just nodded and kept quiet, accepting her fate.

Lydecker personally oversaw her reindoctrination. Ivy resisted slightly at several points, particularly when the slides flashed that labeled her siblings as traitors. Unbeknownst to Ivy, he checked on her every night before he left the base, peering through the small window of the cell door at a figure hunched in the corner. Her dark hair hung loose, far past her slim shoulders shielding her face from his view. Maybe she heard him standing there or breathing, but she never gave any reaction, never even moved in the slightest.

He had heeded the warnings from Manticore psychiatrists about her possible mental instability. They had said that it was possible that she would block out her memory again under extreme stress, so they were taking it slow. As much as it would be good for her to forget her life outside of Manticore, Lydecker didn’t want her seven years of military training going with it. One night it was clear that she almost wanted this to happen.

“825…” He touched her shoulder and sighed when she shied away. “Ivy…”

“Go away!” Ivy shouted and covered her eyes. She was mumbling something and Lydecker recognized his technique immediately. He seized her by the shoulders and shook her.

“Damn it, Ivy! Stop it!”

Ivy looked up at him with sad, ice blue eyes. “I don’t want to remember…”

“You have to remember, Ivy,” Lydecker let his tone soften. “A soldier doesn’t forget.”

She suddenly shoved him away with enough force to throw him against the opposite wall. “You killed her!”

Lydecker regained his footing quickly and wiped at a cut on his forehead from when his head collided with the bricks. He looked back at her and straightened himself out.

She stood there with fists clenched and teeth bared, but her eyes show no rage, only sorrow.

Lydecker heard guards approaching from the outside, no doubt to investigate the shouting and commotion. He took a breath and began to speak, “Ivy, I did what was necessary.”

“NO! NO!” Ivy screamed, now with currents of tear masking her face. She inhaled a shaky breath and let her voice calm. “You didn’t. If it had been necessary, then you would have killed me, too. You had the chance. Or did you think I didn’t remember that?”

“Would you rather I had shot you?”

“What would happen if it got out that you let me go?”

“It’s my word over yours, Ivy,” he stepped closer to her. “You’ll only make this worse for yourself.”

Ivy stopped her screaming match and pushed the curtain of hair from her face with both hands. She glanced at him and just shook her head. “You want your obedient soldier back, Deck? You’ve got her. Just don’t ask me to be your friend. That ended the day I got seven years of horror back.”

“You were a child, too young to understand…”

“But certainly not too young to have a gun put in my hands. Not too young to kill a man,” she swallowed. “Not too young to see my brother hauled off and cut up while he was still alive. I was six when that happened. When normal kids were learning how to read and write I was learning the most efficient way to kill a human being. I understood it too well, but I was too young to question it.”

The cell door opened and Lieutenant Smith stood there with another soldier at his side. “Is everything all right, Sir?”

“Hi, Alan,” Ivy waved a hand and spoke in a sarcastically perky tone.

Smith just glanced from her to Lydecker, waiting for an answer.

Lydecker nodded. “Yes. I’m done here. Goodnight, 825.”

Lydecker kept the gauze pressed to his forehead. Ivy was definitely an X5 by the strength she had displayed in that cell. He had since developed a slightly pounding headache. He glanced at the bottle of brandy on the table that some colleague had jokingly given him as a Christmas present. If he hadn’t gone dry so many years ago, this would have been a time for drinking.

A knock on the front door interrupted his thoughts. Lydecker sighed and went to open it. He was about to tell off whoever it was when he spotted Mary Kinlan’s gentle face. “Mary?”

“I’m sorry to intrude on you, Donald,” Mary said honestly. “I just saw that your lights were on.”

“What’s wrong?”

Mary flattened her lips and ran a hand through her hair. “I had a fight with Jack and well… we’re split over what to do. You did hear about Ivy?”

Lydecker nodded. “Come in.” He ushered her in and shut the door. “Can I get you something? Coffee?”

Mary shook her head. She followed him in and sat in a chair across from him. “I don’t know if you heard the news or not. Other than our… little runaway. Jack got offered a transfer to DC. There’s a promotion with it and a raise, but…” she raised a hand to her mouth and just looked out the window. “I keep wondering…what if Ivy comes back?”

“I only met her a few times, but she seems like an intelligent girl.”

Mary smiled slightly. “She told me what you did at the grocery store. You stood up for her, maybe even saved her life. Thank you.”

He nodded and put a hand to his forehead.

“Did you get hit with a rifle or something?” Mary asked.

“A brick wall,” he replied. “Not all of the soldiers under my command like me.”

Mary laughed slightly. “Well, I hope you reprimanded that one.”

“She’s already on thin ice.”

“’She’?” Mary raised an eyebrow. “A woman did that to you?”

“A girl,” he replied. “Newly enlisted and having some trouble with adapting to military life.”

Mary nodded. “I can relate to that. My CO scared the felgercarb out of me in Basic.”

He checked the bandage and then pressed it back against his skin. “You ever assault one?”

“No,” Mary remarked. “I was terrified of them. That girl isn’t scared of you at all. It sounds like she needs discipline.”

“She’s being dealt with,” Lydecker remarked. “How are you dealing? With Ivy…”

Mary stood and paced, shrugging her shoulders. “Ivy wouldn’t run off like this. She had her problems, but nothing that would make her leave without even writing a note. She was so sweet and thoughtful. We never had to ground her for anything. She did amazingly in school. Heck, she just applied to Stanford and Yale. I am just so afraid that something is going to happen to her out there. She’s smart, but the world’s a cruel place.”

“I won’t argue with that statement.”

Mary pointed at a photo on the mantle. “Was this your wife?”

Lydecker nodded and looked at the picture. “My Elizabeth.”

Mary smiled warmly. “She was beautiful. Did you have any kids?”

Lydecker stared into his glass for a moment. He didn’t shake his head. “We tried. She died before we could.”

“I’m so sorry,” Mary offered. She pulled her sweater tightly around her shoulders and sat down. “Jack and I lost our first child at birth. After that we gave up too easily. Then when Jack got posted in Seattle after the Pulse we saw one of the news broadcasts on the children orphaned in the riots. We visited one of the ‘orphanages’ and well, we came home with Ivy. She was skin and bones, barely talking, terrified of Jack, but she had this smile. It was amazing that she still smiled considering what she had to have gone through to lose her memory.”

“Probably blissful ignorance,” Lydecker remarked.

Mary nodded. “I think she was better for it. Kids that young don’t deserve to see such atrocities as we do in the military.”

“What do you mean?” Lydecker found himself questioning.

Mary shrugged. “She talks in her sleep. Part of her brain’s still tapped into the things she forgot. Nothing but screams and pleas, really. I took them as night terrors until she started naming off semi-automatics. I don’t know what she went through, but there were places after the Pulse, in the riots when people were stock-piling weapons. I have to assume that’s where she learned it.”

“Children learn a lot of things when they’re young that shape them for life,” Lydecker remarked.

Mary was staring out the window. “She was going to play at the New Year’s party,” Mary continued. “Ivy’s incredible with the cello. She actually hated it at first.”

Lydecker allowed himself to smile. “How’d she get introduced to it?”

Mary smiled. “The therapist we took her to said she needed an outlet, something to channel her emotions into. Jack’s mother had an old cello in the attic and our neighbor offered free lessons. It wasn’t like she actually needed lessons though. After the few weeks she was playing sonatas when other students would still be stuck on scales.”

Seattle

“Logan! Come on, what did you need me to do? If I’m not at work in fifteen minutes, Normal’s gonna fire me!”

“I’ll be right there, Max,” Logan called.

Max Guevara dropped into a chair and stared out the wide penthouse window to wait.

A moment later Logan wheeled himself into the living room and Max was surveying the reading materials stacked on the coffee table. “I didn’t know you liked classical music so much,” Max commented, picking up a magazine and flipped it open.

“It kind of comes with the territory of being well-to-do. Max?”

Max’s eyes were locked on a page of the magazine. She suddenly flipped back to the cover. “This is from last month.”

“What are you getting at?”

Max turned back to the page she had been staring at and showed it to him. “Her.”

Logan took it and read off the caption under a photo, “Ivy Kinlan, 17 year-old cellist, senior at a New York City performing arts school. Wow, I thought there weren’t anymore art schools, especially on the east coast.”

“No, Logan, I recognize her. She’s one of my sisters.”

Logan frowned. “Max, it was dangerous when you got a mug shot taken at Langford. I think another X5 would be smart enough not to have her face plastered in a national magazine.”

“It’s not like this kind of thing gets past your class. I don’t know why she would let this happen, but I know it’s her.”

“Just which ‘her’ are you referring to?”

“Ivy. 825. She was younger than me when we escaped. I wasn’t sure she had made it, she was so little. Now I know,” Max said, glancing out the window. “Can you get any information on her?”

Logan sighed and wheeled himself into the other room to his desk. Max followed, holding the magazine in one hand. Logan logged on and tapped in a few things. “Okay, full name Ivy Eleanor Kinlan. The records say she was orphaned in the riots after the Pulse. Whoa…”

“What?”

Logan swallowed. “She was adopted by two army officers in August of ’09. They were stationed in New York for ten years before being transferred out west.”

Max didn’t need to listen anymore as she followed his line of sight to a single line of text on the screen. Gillette, Wyoming.

“Lydecker probably found her by now,” Logan remarked.

Max shook her head. “He didn’t recognize me the first time. I think she stands a small chance. I’ve got to get her out of there.” She started to walk away.

“Wait,” Logan called. “I think you should see this.”

Max turned back. “What?”

“A week ago she was reported missing by Mary Kinlan. Nothing in the papers, just a police report, but they’re not investigating since she’s been classified as a runaway.”

“More like captured,” Max remarked. “Can you get me an address, phone number, anything?”

“The address on base so I’d strongly advise against that, but there’s a number.”

Max read the number and instantly remembered it. “Thanks, Logan.”

“Wait, Max! You can’t possibly be considering going to Wyoming.”

“I am,” Max said. “Ivy’s my little sister. I can’t let anything happen to her.”

“What if something happens to you?”

“Don’t worry about me, Logan. I’ll be fine. I’m just gonna go kick some Manticore ass.” With that she nearly blurred from the room, leaving Logan alone at his computer.

Finally, here's an update. I'm currently buried beneath excel spreadsheets and word files and trying to dig myself out before the semester ends.

Chapter 12

Max stopped her motorcycle at the edge of the Gillette city limits. The town had changed since she’d been there last, before the Pulse. Like much of Seattle’s backstreets, the roads were littered with garbage, likely owing to a lack in public sanitation management. Max rode into town and stopped at the first payphone she could find. She dropped some change into the coin slot and dialed the number Logan had given her. Max waited patiently as the dial tone droned on a few times before someone answered.

“Hello?” a woman’s voice came over the line. “Hello?”

Max hung up. What the hell was she supposed to say to Ivy’s mother? Hi, did you know your adopted daughter is a genetically engineered supersoldier turned fugitive who’s been captured by her former commanding officer? If only she could talk to the woman face to face, then maybe she could explain it better. Max got back on her motorcycle and rode further into town. After a bit she spotted a sign for the Army base, pointing north two miles out of town. She headed north and then hid her bike in the woods within walking distance of the perimeter fence.

Crouching in the bushes along the roadway, Max watched the guard kiosk. The single guard was armed and she easily spotted the security cameras lining the fence. She was about to give up on getting in that way when a semi-truck went by. Without much thought, she left her cover and leapt towards the moving vehicle, pulling herself onto the roof of the trailer and pressing herself flat.

No one saw her as the truck was cleared at the gate and it pulled through onto the base grounds. Max waited patiently for a few minutes for the truck to stop besides a warehouse building, then she made the jump off to the building roof.

She scoped out the area for a few minutes before spotting the cameras and slipping into an unsurveilled alleyway. Max smiled at her good fortune as she surveyed the alley. A man of just about her height was standing with a clipboard in one hand and squinting at the gage on an electric meter.

“Hi, there,” Max said with a suggestive smile as she approached the guy.

The meter reader was a young twentysomething with a weak attempt at a goatee and horn-rimmed glasses. He turned and smiled slightly, adjusting his glasses. “Um, hi.”

“What are you doing?” Max inquired taking a step closer to him.

The young man grinned sheepishly and gestured at the meter on the side of the building. “I’m just taking down the electric consumption for the utilities company.”

Max smiled and laid a hand on his shoulder. “I’m so sorry about this.”

“About what?” the man asked before Max smacked his head into the wall.

Max pulled the cap further down on her head and picked up the clipboard. She ignored the fact that the embroidered pocket on the man’s coveralls said ‘Bob’. She highly doubted that anyone paid much attention to someone with such a menial task for work on the base. Bob was slumbering peacefully in his boxer shorts in a back alley.

She continued the route that her sleeping friend had been following down a residential street. The area was surprisingly devoid of human life at the moment. Most people were likely at work now or sleeping from working late shifts. Max pretended to check a few meters just to keep her cover up before she reached the address from Logan’s computer. It was a modest two-story home with a porch and a beat-up sedan in the driveway. Through a curtained window in the front, she spotted a redheaded woman in camouflage fatigues sitting at the kitchen table. It had to be Mary Kinlan, Ivy’s adoptive mother.

Max spared herself a brief glance around before approaching the door and knocking lightly.

“Coming!” a woman’s voice called from within. A moment later the redheaded woman opened the door.

Before Max could speak she heard the distinct sound of a Hummer engine rolling down the street and tucked herself away against the wall. The vehicle continued on without pause.

“You’re not the usual,” Mary observed Max’s appearance in a calm tone. “Where’s Bob?”

Max turned from her protective stance and looked at the woman. “He overslept,” she replied casually. “I actually need to speak with you about something other than your electric bill. I’m a friend of Ivy’s.”

Mary raised an eyebrow. “Where is she?”

“I haven’t seen her, but I think I know where she is,” Max said honestly.

Mary eyed her for a moment before opening the door and stepping back. “Come in.”

Mary poured Max a cup of coffee and then put the pot back. She took a seat at the kitchen table across from Max. “So how do you know my daughter? I didn’t know she talked with the meter readers.”

“This is gonna sound weird, but we kind of grew up together,” Max began. According to Logan, Mary Kinlan knew nothing about Manticore as far as the records showed.

Mary raised an eyebrow. “Are you saying you knew her before 2009?”

Max nodded.

“The orphanage?” Mary questioned.

“Sort of,” Max replied. “The details are a little sketchy. Did Ivy ever talk about her past?”

Mary shook her head. “No. She had no memory of her life before the Pulse. She only ever started to talk when…well…”

“What?” Max pressed.

Mary took a breath and then let it out. “There was a man who broke into our house about a month ago. He hid in Ivy’s room, he claimed her knew her, he tried to kidnap her. When she screamed, he ran.”

Max listened intently. If her suspicions were right then that would have been just before she had last seen Zack in Seattle, before he had turned himself in to save her from Lydecker, and before the helicopter crash on the news. “Do you know who the man was?”

Mary nodded and shrugged at the same time. “I think Ivy said his name was Zack. He was one of Colonel Lydecker’s men that went AWOL and snapped.”

Max froze. “You know Lydecker?”

Mary nodded. “He lives down the street.”

Max brushed off the annoying tension that started to edge at her mind at being that close to her enemy’s domicile and thought back to Zack. “Zack, they caught him?”

Mary nodded. “Yes.”

Max held her breath for a moment. “Do you know if he’s alive?”

Mary stood suddenly and stepped back. “Do you have something to do with him? Is that why you came here?”

Max shook her head. “No. I came about Ivy. I came to help you get her back.”

“Get her back?” Mary questioned. “What are you talking about?”

“Ivy didn’t run away,” Max explained. “She was captured.”

Mary moved towards the phone. “I want you out of my house. I’m calling security.”

“No!” Max blurred across the room and grabbed Mary’s hand before it reached the receiver. Max looked into the woman’s frightened eyes. “I need to tell you something that is going to sound crazy.”

Mary only stepped back and studied Max carefully. “Not half as crazy as I’m going to sound to you. Ivy could move like that, but only on occasion and I never questioned her about it. I never told anyone. What do you want to tell me?”

Max took a seat back at the kitchen table with Mary and began to explain everything. She left out the details surrounding Lydecker and Manticore’s location, but told Mary the rest. How the government funded genetic engineering to create the perfect soldier, how twelve had escaped in 2009 before the Pulse, and how she and Ivy were two of them.

Mary listened intently and with a cautious ear to this final statement. She ran a hand through her hair and then glanced at Max for a long moment of silence before she spoke. “I always knew, you know, that there was something about her.”

“So you believe everything I’ve told you?” Max questioned. “You’re not going to turn me in?”

“Yeah, I’ve been in Army for a long time, hun,” Mary admitted. “I’ve heard my fill of conspiracies. I also know what you must’ve gone through to get here. I just hope you didn’t give Bob too much of a headache. I guess that explains it then… why Ivy ran away.” She tucked a strand of hair behind her ear. “God, who could do such a thing to such a loving child?”

“There’s more,” Max added. She took a breath. “I don’t think Ivy ran away.”

Mary clenched a fist. “Then where is she? You said you know where she is.”

Max swallowed. “I think I know. The head of Manticore is Colonel Lydecker. Zack came here to warn Ivy about him, but all it did was get Lydecker suspicious of Ivy and now he has both of them locked up at the base outside of town.”

“Donald?” Mary questioned. She shook her head and then suddenly froze as the dots seemed to connect in her mind. “Oh, my God. He had a TAC team on the base the same day Ivy disappeared. He claimed to be looking for a fugitive and we heard gunfire…”

Max felt her heart drop. “We X5s can take a beating,” she said in an attempt at sincerity. “I’m sure she’s alive.”

Mary nodded slowly, but remained silent.

“Ivy’s my baby sister,” Max said. “I want her out of there as much as you do. Will you help me?”

Mary swallowed and then nodded. “What do you need me to do?”

Ivy was sick of gray. It was everywhere now. Her cell walls, the floor, the winter sky, and now the uniform she’d been given just had to be gray urban camouflage. It did nothing to boost her melancholy mood from the rut her world had sunk into that morning when Lydecker had said she would be starting training. The old colonel had stood there in the cell doorway talking to her as Ivy had shut him out from her vision, huddling in the corner once again, not to shut out bad memories, but to shut out reality.

What brought her back to reality was the thwack of a metal serving spoon dumping some stewed mass onto the metal compartmented serving tray.

“Hey there,” a male voice cut into her thoughts.

Ivy glanced at the X5 once and turned back. “Go away”

“Is that anyway to treat the guy that saved your butt two weeks ago?”494 questioned.

Ivy reacted classically, rolling her eyes. “You mean by not reporting me? A lot of good that did, 494. I still ended up back here and I’ve got stitches to prove it.”

“So what’s your number?” the cocky blonde questioned, stepping ahead of her.

“You know my name, 494,” Ivy remarked and pushed past him with her tray.

“Hey! No cutting!” 494 said. “Why are you in such a rush to eat this stuff anyways?”

Ivy rolled her eyes as she waited patiently for a scoop of some leafy greens to be dropped on her tray. “Because the stuff they feed you in Psy-Ops isn’t exactly filling.” She moved down the line and then walked off to sit in an empty table in the corner. It didn’t help. 494 was right behind her.

Ivy tried to ignore him as she attempted to eat some of her lunch.

“So, um, how are you holding up?” he questioned.

Ivy looked at him in near disbelief. “What would make you ask that?”

494 shrugged. “I know what it’s like to be in Psy-Ops. And I’m not going to rat you out if you say anything disloyal.”

“Rat me out to whom?” she questioned, glancing over his shoulder. “I’m practically being watched at all times. Don’t look now, but Lydecker hasn’t let me leave his sight all day.”

494 smirked. “He’s been doing that ever since you were brought in. Haven’t seen him at reveille much, which I’m glad about. I don’t miss his snap inspections.”

“You mean when he tells you to stand up straight and shine your boots?” Ivy questioned. “I’ve seen worse drill sergeants.”

“Haven’t we all,” 494 replied. “I remember this one time Lydecker…”

Ivy cleared her throat and stared past him.

“What?” 494 asked.

Ivy was just silent, staring at Lydecker standing right behind 494.

“You were saying, 494?” Lydecker questioned.

“Nothing, Sir,” 494 answered.

Lydecker nodded and shifted his gaze to Ivy. “825, I want to speak to you in my office when you’re done here.”

Ivy nodded. “Yes, Sir.”

Lydecker nodded and walked off.

“You’re in for it now,” 494 teased.

Ivy was staring at him. “Have we met somewhere before?”

“Yeah…the woods, remember?”

“I don’t mean that,” she replied. “494… Ben was 493.”

“Oh, you mean my twin and your fellow traitor?” 494 questioned with a sudden irritated tone.

Ivy nodded. “So he must look like you now, then.”

“We share the same DNA, genius.” 494 stuffed his face with a mouthful of something off his tray.

Lydecker was signing off on a training report when his office door opened. He looked up to see the thin teenager standing in the doorway. Her stance was far from military, slouching slightly.

“Come in, 825,” he said.

Ivy moved a few paces into the room and stood at attention, waiting for any orders.

Inside, Lydecker sighed and stood. “At ease, soldier. I am aware that X5-599 was in contact with you before your reindoctrination,” he began. “I am also aware that you didn’t recognize him, but I have to ask if you’ve seen this woman before.” He held out a Xerox paper.

Ivy picked took it and was silent for a moment as she studied it. It was a computer generated composite drawing of a young woman. The same one that Lydecker had used on a wanted poster in Seattle. Ivy glanced back at him. “Sir, this could be anyone.”

“Have you seen anyone resembling that image?” Lydecker questioned sternly.

Ivy stared at the paper again and shook her head. She put it back on the desk.

Lydecker sighed and shoved it to the side of the desk.

Ivy opened her mouth, but stopped.

“Do you want to say something, soldier?”

Ivy glanced from the poster to Lydecker. “It’s Max. Isn’t it?”

“Yes,” he answered.

“She’s been in contact with Zack,” Ivy concluded. “And you think that because he showed up that she might have as well. I haven’t seen her, Sir.”

“Are you certain of that?” Lydecker questioned further.

“Yes,” Ivy replied. “The last time I saw Max was February 2009 when we escaped.”

Lydecker nodded. “You’re dismissed, 825.”

Ivy kept her gaze locked on his as she turned and walked out of the office.

Back