A Helping Hand

SkyGirl5

Cadet
hey guys

since i dont have time in the mornings heres a new fic but i wont update again until tuesday since this is mondays update...kinda

Title: A Helping Hand
Summary: A car accident that could have taken a tragic turn but thankfully did not introduces Sydney Bristow to Michael Vaughn and his daughter, Grace. Little does Sydney know at that point that the Vaughn family is the most unusual one she will ever meet. At first, she is sympathetic due to the accident her drive caused, but then, when she learns of their tragic situation, she feels compelled to help in any way she can. The only problem is, Michael just might be too stubborn for his own good. [38]

oh! i almost forgot a giant :hug: :hug: :hug: too dear Cookie for planting this little seed of an idea in my head :hug:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chapter 1 (Below) Chapter 2 Chapter 3 Chapter 4 Chapter 5 Chapter 6 Chapter 7 Chapter 8
Chapter 9 Chapter 10 Chapter 11 Chapter 12 Chapter 13 Chapter 14 Chapter 15 Chapter 16
Chapter 17 Chapter 18 Chapter 19 Chapter 20 Chapter 21 Chapter 23 Chapter 24 Chapter 25

Chapter 1
“Daddy, can we go see the puppies today?†seven-year-old Grace asked her father. She was looking up at him with her big beautiful green eyes, the ones her father hated saying no to. Father and daughter were walking hand-in-hand down the busy sidewalks of New York City very shortly after Grace’s father picked her up from school. For the previous few days, it had become a pattern for them to swing by a pet store they passed frequently on their familiar walking path. There, they would look at and occasionally pet the critters for sale. Of course, this was rather cruel to Grace since she desperately wanted a puppy, but due to their living situation it was impossible for them to have one or any pet for that matter.

“I’m sorry sweetie,†Michael Vaughn apologized to his daughter, squeezing her hand gently. “We need to stop at the grocery store and find something for dinner…maybe we’ll stop and see the puppies tomorrow, but if not I promise we’ll go this weekend.â€

“Okay,†Grace agreed with a soft sigh. Noting she was slightly disappointed, Michael promised his little angel that she could decide what they would be having for dinner when they arrived at the grocery store. This made her feel slightly better since at least she was getting her way with something.

With Grace’s mother long gone, father and daughter were all each other had. As much as Michael wanted to spoil his little girl all that he could, he knew better than to do that. Though, he tried to give her what she wanted (as long as it was something within reason, like wanting to go and see puppies) as much as he could. Since he worked full time to support their family, he always felt guilty that he was unable to spend as much time with Grace as he wished. His unpredictable schedule often times had him working Saturday mornings, a time usually reserved for father-daughter bonding, so they had to hang out as much as they could when they were both free from work and school. Then again, Grace usually spent Saturday mornings sleeping in or watching television anyway, so it was not the biggest loss in the world.

“Oh Dad guess what happened today!†Grace exclaimed excitedly with a little jump.

“What sweetie?†Michael asked as he adjusted the large duffle bag over his shoulder. Grace then went on to inform her father that she had been given the special job of being the first grade class’s official chalk board washer for that week. While to an adult this would have been an unpleasant task, Grace was practically over the moon about it, which, naturally, Michael found adorable, as would any father.

The father-daughter duo was so engrossed in their conversation that they failed to notice the large black Lincoln town car approaching them from the opposite direction. The wayward vehicle was swerving back and forth across the surprisingly empty streets, narrowly missing cars parked along the edges. Horrifically, the car crossed over the sidewalk just at the place where the Vaughn family was walking. It was then that Michael saw it and he had only a fraction of a second to react. Hardly thinking at all, he picked up Grace around the waist and threw her behind him, out of the way of the oncoming vehicle. Thankfully, the car stopped just as it tapped him in the shins, but had Grace been walking in the position she had just been in…well, he didn’t want to think about that.

“Jesus what the hell is the matter with you!†he immediately cursed the vehicle’s driver. “You could have killed my daughter!†Then, at the thought of Grace, he quickly spun around to see her lying shocked on the sidewalk. He crouched down beside her to see that her left knee was scraped and bleeding as well as her left elbow. “Baby I’m so sorry; I just didn’t want you to get hit by that car,†he said softly as he pulled her into his arms. He rocked her gently and pressed two kisses onto her head.

“I’m okay Dad,†Grace said bravely, though she was fighting back tears. Michael kissed her head once more before pulling a crumpled but clean tissue from his pocket and handing it to her. Then, he pulled her to her feet before turning around, ready to shout at the irresponsible driver who was getting out of the car that had nearly killed him. Much to his surprise, instead of seeing someone stumble out of the driver’s seat, he saw a woman, a very attractive and well dressed woman at that, climb out of the back seat of the vehicle.

“Sir, are you alright sir? I am so, so, so sorry! My driver… I don’t know what happened but are you alright?!†she asked rather frantically as she approached him.

“No I’m not alright!†Michael snapped. “You could have killed my daughter!â€

Glancing down at the little girl half hiding behind her father, the woman began apologizing once more. “I am so, so sorry, sir. Is she alright? Please, what can I do?â€

“Well you can start by telling your driver to be more careful next time,†Michael said rather harshly before turning his eyes towards the ground and saying, “C’mon Grace let’s go.†He grabbed her hand and went to walk away but she protested.

“Daddy stop it hurts!†she whined, pointing to her bloody knee.

“Oh she’s hurt,†the woman practically squeaked. “Do…should I take you to the hospital or someplace to clean up?!â€

“Forgive me if I don’t feel comfortable getting into your car at the moment,†Michael said rather bitterly before scooping Grace up in one arm and continuing to walk down the sidewalk.

“No, please sir, wait,†the woman said, trying to catch up with him but tripping over the garbage cans her car had knocked over. “Please I just feel awful. Come to my house and clean out her cuts – I have band-aids and antiseptic and I live so close!â€

“We’re on our way home,†Michael informed her simply.

“Do you live close by?†she questioned. Michael refused to answer and turned his eyes towards the sidewalk. “Please, I just live down there, the green front door,†she said, pointing down the street from which her vehicle came. Along the street was a series of very nice, very expensive townhouses all constructed with very fancy brick and stone work. The third house from them had a green front door. After seeing a hesitant look on his face the woman added another plea, “Please?â€

“Alright,†Michael conceded with a sigh, knowing it would be quite a ways before they had another chance to stop and clean up Grace’s knee and elbow. The woman actually looked relieved and she ushered the way across the street to her dwelling.

“I’m Sydney, by the way, Sydney Bristow,†she said over her shoulder.

“Michael,†he said, “and this is Grace.â€

“Nice to meet you both; I’m sorry it’s under such circumstances,†she said, still sounding apologetic. They were silence for the rest of their brief walk before Sydney let them into the front door of her admirable home.

“This is quite a place you’ve got here. Do you live here with your husband?†Michael asked as he and Grace looked around the expansive foyer with marble floors and beautiful chandeliers, their jaws slightly agape.

“Oh no I’m not married,†she assured him quickly. “This house belonged to my parents, but they moved down to Florida last year. Anyway, the bathroom is right through there; there’s a first aid kit in the top drawer,†she told him.

“Thank you,†Michael nodded to her. Then, he set Grace down on the ground and took her hand as they walked towards the bathroom. All they had to do was wash out her cuts, slap on a Band-Aid and then get out of there as quickly as possible; a Park Avenue mansion was certainly not a suitable place for the two of them.

wow i'm hooked agin you always have to write amazing stories dont you lol!!!!
any ways its amazing i love it already and cant wait till tuesday!!!well for me it is in 20 hours so all i can say is keep up the good work
xxxxxxx
gracie
xxxxxx

I wouldn't say Michael is poor but it's obvious he lives from paycheck to paycheck. Meanwhile Sydney is filthy rich.

What I want to know is what was wrong with her driver? Was he drunk? Michael was very lucky he and Grace weren't hurt and Sydney was very lucky they weren't hurt either because she would've been held financial responsible.

Chris

I can't believe there's only 15 replies and 125 views???? Come on people, this is a good fic!!!!

Although I might have clicked the button like 5 times in a row, so make it 120 views :blush:

silly me :rolleyes:

OOOOOoooooohhhhhh this is good.......yay to cookie for putting the idea in your head! can't wait for more! I'm already in love with it....and it's only been a chapter!

Back