A Helping Hand

Aw... this is soooo sad. Amazing idea though.
I hope Syd can help them out.
Grace is sooo cute. :smiley:
Wonder what happened to her mother...
Can't wait for more!!

i was totally right! yay!

hm... i wonder how syd's gonna find them again and what will michael think when she does. 'run away grace, the psyco rich lady is following us!!' lol

This makes me so sad but I'm sure Sydney will come to their rescue.
Unfortunately, I don't think Michael will accept her help easily.

Chapter 4
For weeks after the event, Sydney Bristow found her attention still captivated by the strange man and his daughter whom she had dined with. She thought about them each crisp October morning that she jogged past the fateful spot where her car nearly ran them down. As she stared out her fiftieth floor office window, she found her mind drifting to the sparkling green eyes of Grace. Mostly, though, they crossed her mind when she was going to bed at night.

As she pulled back the covers of her bed, Sydney wondered where Grace was sleeping that night. She had asked her father where they would be sleeping when she left Sydney’s house; did that mean she did not have a stable place to sleep? Or was it simply a game she and her father played? One night they would ‘camp out’ on the living room floor and then next they would have a safari under blankets in the bedroom. In the collective half hour she spent in the presence of Michael and his daughter, she could hardly get a feel for whether he was the type of father who would do such a thing. She knew he was a caring father; that was obvious. Still she was concerned that they did not have a stable environment. And, with that concern, came the wonderment as to why.

Sydney’s caring nature came through as her concern for the family she did not even know grew. Unfortunately, the one thing that made her feel positively awful was that, save another horrific accident, she would never see Michael or Grace again. She had no way of contacting them - she didn’t even know their last name - and it was painfully obvious from Michael’s polite yet short attitude that he would not be seeking her out. She thought she would never see them again, which was why she was utterly floored when she spotted Michael in a most unexpected location.

Sydney knew buildings better than anything else in New York City. More specifically, she knew her father’s buildings better than anything. Ever since she could remember, her father, Jack Bristow, real estate mogul, was buying and selling buildings. The company that he started years earlier and she managed at present owned several high-rise office buildings in the city. Only office buildings with commercial space were in their portfolio; never places where people lived. According to her father that was too much of a liability.

For the most part, Sydney spent her time on the fiftieth floor of an office building owned by her father close by her house. That building held the central managing office for Bristow, Inc., her family’s company. On different occasions, though, usually a few times a month, she needed to attend meetings at other buildings owned by the company.

The third Monday in October brought one of those meetings. She had been suffering through a very boring meeting when she excused herself to the ladies room, mostly due to the need for movement to keep herself conscious. When she arrived at the closest restroom, she found a janitor’s cart sitting outside the door. Realizing the bathroom was being cleaned, she was just about to walk around to the one on the other side of the floor, when the janitor stepped out of the women’s bathroom. To her utter shock, she knew this janitor; it was Michael.

The two of them locked eyes for only a moment before Michael shot his eyes to the floor, obviously embarrassed. Sydney had no feelings regarding his profession, though; she was merely relieved to see him again. “M-Michael, h-hi,” she stammered for a moment, her shock prohibiting her from speaking properly. “Do you remember me? Sydney Bristow from-”

“It’s nice to see you again Ms. Bristow. Have a nice day,” he said curtly before trying to walk around the other side of the janitor’s cart in a weak attempt at escape. Sydney stopped him, though.

“Wait,” she placed her hand gently upon his. “How’s…how’s Grace?”

“She’s fine,” he breathed before pushing the cart towards the opposite end of the hallway from where they were standing.

Sydney’s stubborn streak plainly showing through, she hurried after him with a look of determination on her face. The clicking of her heels against the tile floor was rivaled by that of the keys on Michael’s belt jingling, both of them power walking, he trying to escape her. “Michael wait, I – wait, please,” Sydney said almost breathlessly. Very begrudgingly, Michael stopped walking and turned to face her. “So, so you work here? I mean… I didn’t know you worked in one of my father’s buildings…”

“I haven’t worked here long,” he said shortly, wanting to avoid the subject of his job as much as possible.

“Oh…okay, well I’m not usually here – in this building - so that’s why I haven’t seen you around,” she told him with a soft smile. He looked uninterested and turned to walk away once more. “Wait… I mean, how are you? Are you okay?”

“I’m fine,” Michael said exasperatedly. Then, he turned around with a rather stern look. “I’m sorry Ms. Bristow, but I really, really need to get back to work. Have a nice day.”

“Oh…yeah,” Sydney sighed in a rather dejected tone. “Have a nice day, Michael…see you around,” she sighed. Michael gave her a courteous nod before disappearing into a nearby janitor’s closet.

Slightly disappointed, Sydney shuffled her way back to the ladies room. She had no idea what she expected to come from seeing Michael once more, but, foolishly, she wished for more than just a polite greeting and nothing more. It was very obvious, though, that Michael wanted nothing to do with her, but she had no idea why. True, he probably saw her as a nosy, annoyingly helpful snob with a house on Park Avenue, but that could not have been further from the truth. Admittedly, she was annoyingly helpful, but her intensions were pure. Something about Michael and his beautiful daughter captivated her and, no matter how much she tried, she could not get them out of her mind.

Now that Sydney knows Michael works for her she can find out his last name. Of course discovering where he lives (or not live) could be a bit of a problem because his mailing address is most likely of P O Box.

I did feel sorry for Michael though, he has to feel that he's hit bottom being a janitor and living in shelters. Then he had to run into Sydney who is very rich and now knows he's a lowly janitor.

Chris

Poor Michael... His life sucks!! HE is soo lucky that Grace has a good attitude about all this. Michael propably thinks he is the worst father in the world, not being able to give his daugther a home... Lets hope that Sydney can soon change that!

I bet Michael will be seeing a whole lot more of Sydney now that she knows he works there. Can't wait to see what happens.
Great update

Back