A Life Like That

Chapter Six: So Close

It was something that you’d normally only see in the movies. People never talked about it when it actually happened so we never second guessed it. We knew nothing about terrorism and only understood what it was that people did talk about. This was something the average American was never put through…it was something they didn’t even acknowledge. It was something that Sydney Bristow did every single day. Put her life on the line for millions of people she never met and never would meet. She can handle every weapon you name; jump out of helicopters thousands of feet in the air; come up with the perfect alias’s so you never second guessed her; could render you incapacitated for the rest of your life with one punch; and tell everything about you just by glancing your way. It wasn’t a common job…it was a risky one…one that didn’t offer anything but one…the drug of adrenaline. But the one flaw even in Sydney Bristow, is just anyone else who is in love, you piss her off…you’re dead.

Sydney felt that way now. They had kidnapped her boyfriend and two best friends…the most important people in the world to her. Now they were going to pay. So many thoughts ran across her mind as they were approaching the last known location of the trio. She had so many things to be angry and upset over that it made her job and her focus that much more easier. One; they took they people she love. Two; Sloane’s death was called a murder, hopeful to be pinned on her. Three; Irina was still out there somewhere and more dangerous and vengeful then ever. Four; Julian and Lauren were missing and Five; Just exactly did she manage to survive the Island flooding? Not only did the machine explode right there in the same room as her and her mother, but how had she managed to escape and wake up all the way in Cuba? There were so many unanswered questions that it made her that much more angry…that much more dangerous.

Eric kicked in the door of the apartment and after silently counting to three, Sydney quickly walked inside, her gun leading her. Scanning the room, Sydney couldn’t help but wonder if they were kidnapped here and taken somewhere else. As Sydney walked further into the apartment her team split up to cover the area. The place looked like a hurricane had came through it. There was a torn up couch and a small television in front of a coffee table with beer bottles and chips scattered all over. In the far corner was a laptop. Sydney holstered her gun and walked over to it. She touched the laptop and found it to be warm. She slowly opened it up and looked up to see her team had relaxed as well and holstered their own weapons while searching through the mess. Newspapers and magazine clippings were all over the floor. Sydney turned her attention back to the laptop as a government homepage popped up. Sydney gazed at it curiously as her sister walked up beside her. “Find anything?”

Sydney shook her head. “No…but they must’ve just left. Probably tipped off.”

Nadia nodded and looked around. She sighed and finally turned her attention back to Sydney. “We have nothing.”

“Not even on the truck outside?”

Nadia shook her head. “So far, no.”

Sydney closed the laptop. “They left not more than an hour ago,” she told her.

“There’s no way that they escaped. This place has been under surveillance since then.”

Sydney nodded and pondered the thought. “Unless there is a way out in here.”

“Over here!” they heard. Sydney and Nadia, followed by the rest of the team, walked up to Jennifer. “Looks like they decided to take a little detour,” she said smiling. Jennifer pushed the couch aside to reveal a trap door. Sydney bent down and helped her open it, revealing an entrance way to the sewers below the city. For the first time since landing in Germany, Sydney’s eyes gleamed with hope.

--------------------------------

It was the kind of situation that he knew very well. One that he was trained for. He knew how to handle himself in this kind of environment. They didn’t though and that was what worried him the most. Michael swarmed a bit to try and get as comfortable as possible, but he knew that that was not an option…not at this point. He sighed and looked up as the tiny streams of light reflected off his face.

Life it seems will fade away

Drifting further every day

Getting lost within myself

Nothing matters no one else

Their kidnappers had tied up all three of them and covered their mouths with tape to keep them quiet. Particularly Francie who was kicking, screaming, biting and cursing all the way. After they had the trio under control the locked them in a bunker. Michael wasn’t sure exactly where they were but he did know that it had to be an abandoned and shut down meat packing plant judging from the equipment he saw while being led into the building. He looked up at the bars again and sighed. With is hands tied there was no way he could make it up there and let himself, Will and Francie escape. All he could do now was pray for help.

I have lost the will to live

Simply nothing more to give

There is nothing more for me

Need the end to set me free

The images of Sydney suddenly flashed in his mind. There was so much he still wanted to do, but Sydney was gone, and if Michael didn’t act quickly, he would be dead soon too. The light in the bunker slowly faded away and in surprise, all three of them looked up through the bars. For a split second, Michael thought that their captors had returned. He looked up and focused his eyes and realized that someone was standing directly over them. If only I can loosen these ties and make some kind of noise…And that was when he heard it. It made his heart stop as he saw Francie and Will's eyes go wide, hearing it too. It was word, that carried so much happiness and hope. "Sydney..."

-----------------------------

“Damn, it smells down here,” Eric said holding his nose.

Jennifer turned around and shot Eric a stupefied look. “That’s why it’s called a sewer, genius,” Jennifer said putting on a fake smile for Eric.

He in turn shot her a look back as Jennifer turned around. Sydney ignored the both of them. She knew that Jennifer didn’t approve of the team that Sydney had put together, but Jennifer never saw Eric in action. Even though Sydney didn’t know Eric as well as she knew Julian and Lauren, her other partners, she trusted him.

Things not what they used to be

Missing one inside of me

Deathly lost, this can’t be real

Cannot stand this hell I feel

But right now her mind, and her soul, was riding on this mission and its outcome. Her friends’ lives depended on it. They had been walking through the underground tunnels for a good half hour or so when Sydney suddenly stopped. She shined her flashlight in front of her and the light landed on a staircase directly in front of them. Sydney ran to it with her team following knowing that wherever the stairs led to is where she and the others would find Michael and her friends.

Emptiness is filling me

To the point of agony

Growing darkness taking dawn

I was me, but now he’s gone

Sydney slowly opened the trap door and slowly crept out. The trap door was behind a machine so it gave her and her team good cover. Sydney poked her head out and scanned the place then pushed her back to the wall. She looked at Jennifer and nodded towards her. Slowly creeping out, her gun in lead, Jennifer came out from her cover and scanned the place, followed by Eric and Nadia.

No one but me can save myself, but it's too late

No, I can't think, think why I should even try

Sydney stood up and looked around as well. It appeared that they were in an abandoned meat packing plant judging by the hooks and chains hanging from the ceilings and the huge machines in the far corners of the warehouse. Sydney stepped closer as the light on her gun searched the walls and floors of the warehouse. She cautiously stepped over the draining bars and stood watching her team lower their weapons. Sydney couldn’t help it but she felt like she was being watched and it was a feeling that she couldn’t shake. "Sydney!" Eric called out walked up to her, shaking his head.

“There’s nothing here,” he said. “The place looks like it was wiped clean just like the apartment.”

Sydney looked past Eric trying to find some clues to the whereabouts of Michael, Will and Francie. “We’re missing something,” she whispered.

Eric shook his head. “Sydney…” he sighed then stopped. He didn’t know what he could possibly tell her.

Yesterday seems as though it never existed

Death greets me warm, now I will just say goodbye

---------------------------

About 50 feet away, a man threw down his cigarette and frowned. He opened the door to his black Chevy Tahoe and pulled out a suit case. Placing it on the ground, he clicked it open and quickly put the gun parts together. He then walked to the other side of the truck and rested his arm on the engine of the truck and aimed the weapon in the warehouse in front of him. Using the scope he zoomed in as his finger eased on the trigger. He smiled when he had the leader of the CIA covert team in his sight as his finger squeezed the trigger…

------------------------------

- Song; Fade to Black: Metallica

I read the title of the chapter and, as I had scrolled down to see how long the chapter was thus seeing the word Metallica, for a moment I thought the music was Nothing Else Matters. 'Cause the 'so close no matter how far' part is always what stays in my head. :P

Great chapter. I hope they'll find them.

omg that was such a horrible cliffy! please update soon! i'm dying!
aliaschick347
ps- you mentioned at one time you were rewriting the x-men fic. i'm i dellusional, or did you actually say that? if ur rewriting, can you pm me for updates?

I read the title of the chapter and, as I had scrolled down to see how long the chapter was thus seeing the word Metallica, for a moment I thought the music was Nothing Else Matters. 'Cause the 'so close no matter how far' part is always what stays in my head. :P

Great chapter. I hope they'll find them.

i was going to use that song, but then i changed my mind because that song, 'nothing else matters' will be used for my x-man fic and i don't use the same songs.

Oh man....only 50 feet away...I hope they realize it and can get away!!!
-Although I don't really care for that Jennifer girl...so I guess I would be OK with her getting hurt!!
Great update!! Thanks for the pm!!

Is the guy going to shoot sydney? :eek:
i hope not! she cant die when vaughn is so close to her (n)

thanks for the pm and cant wait for next update

Who is gonna get shot!!! I wanna know now!!! Come on, did they find Michael, Francie and Will??
Update soon
Great job
Thanks for the PM

Chapter Seven: Together Again

It was as if time had slowed down. Nothing was moving; no one was talking. Eric sighed once more and turned away from Sydney and looked at Nadia, who peered at her sister, her heart breaking for her. Time sped up again when a single shot rang out. Michael watched from beneath in horror as both Sydney and Eric went down. He struggled even more, using all of his strength to loosen the ropes, but with no success. Jennifer turned around after hearing the shot to see both Eric and Sydney go down. “Bristow!” Jennifer ran quickly and threw the gun around her freeing her hands. Both Jennifer and Nadia reached them at the same time. Jennifer carefully touched Sydney to see that she was still breathing. Her eyes then followed where she was shot; in her right arm, and it was bleeding badly. Jennifer turned around at one of the agents and snapped her fingers. “Quickly, get me the first aid kit and get the chopper here en route to the nearest CIA hospital.” The team did what they were told and while Jennifer took the kit and quickly opened it she yelled, “And will someone find that frackin shooter?”

Jennifer looked at Nadia who was still tending to Eric. “How is he?”

Nadia looked up at Jennifer, fighting her tears that stung her eyes. “Not good,” she whispered. “If we don’t get to a hospital…”

“We will,” Jennifer assured her as she wrapped up Sydney’s wound. She looked down at her, “Can you stand?” she asked. Sydney nodded and looked at Jennifer in a daze slightly confused as to what had happened just before she passed out.

Jennifer shook her head. “No, you can’t,” she muttered.

From above, Jennifer heard the helicopters blades twirling as someone shouted, “The chopper’s here!”

Jennifer stood up. “Get Bristow and Weiss in the chopper.”

As two other agents came and helped Nadia with Eric and Sydney, Jennifer watched them leave the building. She looked around to see where the bullet was fired but couldn’t tell from which direction just yet. She looked down where the blood was running as something caught her eye. She bent down slightly and looked down between the bars. Cautiously, she grabbed a firm hold of the bars and lifted it up. Looking down she smiled. “Well, I’ll be damned.” Francie, Will and Michael looked up at Jennifer, relieved.

Even though two of their agents were shot and no suspects were caught, it was a mission that Director Chase and Kendall thought successful. After being briefed for several hours, Will, Francie and Michael all left the briefing room with Dixon to go and finally see Sydney. Chase, Kendall and Jennifer had successful concluded that Michael acted like an agent and went after what he believed to be valuable information. The worse that Chase did was suspend him for taking civilians with him and not informing the CIA or FBI of his whereabouts. As they approached Sydney’s holding quarters, Jack ran into them and greeted Will and Francie. “Dixon,” he said. “Do you mind if I speak to Agent Vaughn briefly?”

Dixon glanced at Michael and shrugged. “Of course not.”

He stepped away and led Will and Francie further down the hall, leaving Michael and Jack alone. For awhile, Jack said nothing. Michael looked at Jack impatiently then sighed. “Look, if you’re not going to say anything…”

“What you did was stupid and immature.”

Michael’s mouth dropped open in surprise. “Immature?”

“Yes. You put not only innocent people’s lives on the line, but Sydney’s as well.”

“I was trying to protect Sydney,” Michael said defensively.

“And yet she is laying in another hospital bed,” Jack shot back. When Michael didn’t say anything, he continued. “What exactly were you doing there, Agent Vaughn?”

“Looking into a lead.”

“What kind of lead? At that time Sydney was believed dead. What lead could you have possibly gotten?”

“Obviously an important one for us to be kidnapped and for the contact to be killed!”

“You went in there blind!” Jack yelled. “Instead of clearing it with myself or Kendall, you took it upon yourself to go to Germany and as a result you also got yourself killed!”

“I’m a big boy.”

“But Will and Francie are not field trained. Not even remotely trained for what you sent them into!”

After a brief pause, Michael looked at Jack square in the eye. “Are we done now? Sydney’s waiting.” Without waiting for an answer, Michael left Jack alone to stare at him as he was walking away.

“God I missed you so much!” Francie exclaimed.

“I can tell,” Sydney choked out.

Francie gasped and released Sydney from her hug and blushed. “Sorry.”

“No, it’s okay,” Sydney laughed. “It’s so good to see you guys.”

“Syd, you have no idea,” Will said. “We’ve missed you. I mean, all those weeks we thought…”

“We knew you had to come back,” Francie jumped in.

Sydney nodded. “Yeah well…it was a close call…and Irina is still out there.”

Will raised his eyebrows at Sydney in shock. “Wait…she’s still alive?”

Sydney shrugged. “Well, if I survived, I wouldn’t put it past her that she did too.”

Will nodded taking in the information as the door opened. They turned around to see Michael walking in, smiling. “Hope I’m not interrupting anything.”

Francie looked from Michael to Sydney then back again. “No,” she spoke up grabbing Will’s arm. “We were just leaving. Been a long couple of days.”

Will looked Francie confused. “What? Wait…we just got here.”

“Let’s go,” Francie ordered shoving him out of the room. She looked back and winked at the couple. “Have fun catching up you two.”

Sydney chuckled as the doors closed and Michael walked up to her. “You okay?” he asked.

Sydney smiled and looked up at him. “Yeah. You?”

Michael shrugged. “Well…getting there.” He looked at Sydney’s arm and frowned. “I thought you were shot?”

Sydney looked at her shoulder as well and shrugged seeing only a tiny bruise on it. “I heal fast,” she answered.

Michael looked at her closely. “It’s been a really long day,” he commented.

Sydney bit her lip and nodded. “Yep. We should…probably rest.”

Michael nodded, leaning closer to Sydney. “I totally agree with you. No need to push ourselves to the limit or anything.”

Sydney smiled as Michael leaned in even more closer, his lips close to hers. “That’s right.”

------------------------

Sydney felt a surge of emotions sweep over her as Michael caressed her neck. The ride home seemed like forever…but it felt like it had taken forever for her to be back in his arms again. With every kiss, with every motion and desire of lust and love, Sydney felt alive. She felt, reborn. All of her worries up until that point had dissolved. She had no need to be overcome with them…only with Michael. He felt stronger but he smelled and looked the same as she remembered him. Every day she thought about this moment, the moment where they were lovers…where they were one. It seemed that they were the only ones alive and on this earth. Them and them alone. Michael slowly made his way down from her neck, to her breasts, to her stomach as every fiber in her being was riddled with pleasure from head to toe… so deep that it shook her to the core. She wanted it to stay this way. As her knees buckled from the excitement, Sydney gasped for breath, slightly pushing Michael off of her. He looked at her, first confused, but then a lazy grin was spread across his handsome boyish face as he playfully teased her. Sydney couldn’t help but smile. I have missed him so much. Michael slowly let himself into her as their noses touched and he kissed her. Sydney let out a small gasp. It was then that she realized, that she saw herself growing old with him, having kids with him, retiring with him. She knew…Michael was the one. Michael…was her soul mate. And together they melted into each other filling each other with every once of pleasure they could humanly bring themselves to.

Yea They are back together. Glad that they found them. What happened to Sydney being charged with Sloanes murder. I guess we will find out soon enough.

texasalias

Back