A Life Like That

Great update. Jennifer is a smart women leaving Julian in the closet, but I have a feeling that sydney will figure it out sooner or later.

texasalias

Julian is locked in Jennifers closet! That´s funny.
What´s with Sydney´s injuries? Why does these heal so quick?
Thanks for pm.

Hmm how much longer 'til we find out whats up with the Jennifer/Julian thing!!!
-HA and I loved how Julian is stuck in the closet....he deserves it!!! :lol:
Can't wait for more!! Thanks for the pm!!

Chapter Twelve: Secrets​

Sydney was running. She was chasing someone. The chase began in a building and led outside. Sydney ran after them even faster outside, her legs pumping with blood as she began gaining on the person. Now it was raining. It wasn’t pouring but it wasn’t drizzling. Sydney’s feet pounded the pavement and each time her heart jumped. She clenched her gun even tighter giving herself comfort in the fact that she had it. Just as Sydney was steadily gaining on the person a black BMW skidded in front of the person causing them to stop. Breathing heavily, Sydney held out her gun and slowed to a stop behind the person. “Hand’s up where I can see them!” she ordered. By this time, Sydney was close enough to see the person had long blonde hair and a slim model like figure. Naturally, she knew she was a woman. Listening to Sydney, she placed her hands on her head and sucked in air, catching her breath as well. “Now slowly turn and face me,” she instructed. Slowly turning around Sydney’s eyes met Jennifer’s. Sydney found herself lowering her gun. A notion which Jennifer saw and in turn lowered her arms to her side.

“You don’t understand,” Jennifer told her.

“Understand?” Sydney asked, practically yelling over the thunder.

“Rabamldi,” Jennifer answered.

Sydney shook her head still maintaining her distance from Jennifer and keeping her finger resting on the trigger of her weapon. “What about him?”

“You don’t understand,” Jennifer repeated.

“What?” Sydney demanded, losing her patience. “I don’t know what?!?”

“Your role in all of this,” Jennifer said as the blue light from the lightning reflected off her face. Jennifer waited until the thunder ended to continue. “You don’t understand any of it, Sydney. If you keep searching you’ll only get yourself killed. The truth takes time.”

Sydney paused at Jennifer last words. “Where did you hear that?” she asked as anger arose in her voice. Sydney walked up to Jennifer but Jennifer was not scared or threatened. She didn’t even move as Sydney got into her face. “My mother said that to me once,” she whispered. “You haven’t met her so where the hell did you hear that from?!?”

Jennifer looked Sydney straight in the eye. “I’m warning you Sydney,” for a brief instance, Jennifer’s eyes flickered a bright red color causing Sydney to step back in a startled surprise. “You have no idea what you’re getting yourself into.”

“Who are you?” Sydney became more enraged when Jennifer did not answer her. “Who are you?” she screamed.

“She’s right you know.” Sydney spun around and almost dropped her gun. She stared at the former leader of SD-6 unable to react. “The best thing you could for yourself and your friends is to leave it be,” Sloane said.

Sydney swallowed and turned around to see that Jennifer hadn’t moved. Satisfied, she turned back to Sloane and trained her gun on him. “What are you talking about?”

“I’m talking about Milo Rabamldi, Sydney. I’m talking about your mother. If she is in the possession of the Horizon, then all is lost.”

Sydney raised her eyebrow as another crackle of thunder erupted. “The what?”

“Sydney,” he said avoiding the question. “You are fighting a losing war. No matter what you do, you will not win.”

Sydney’s finger squeezed the trigger once more, inching further into the gun ready to release the piercing bullet. “I don’t think so.”

Sloane shook his head. “Don’t do this Sydney.”

So many thoughts ran through Sydney’s mind. She had Sloane in front of her and Jennifer behind her... trusting neither one. Just as Sydney had reached the decision to shoot Sloane, he pulled out a gun from his coat and fired. Sydney pulled the trigger as well as she suddenly felt pain in her chest as all the blood rushed towards the wound. Both Sloane and Sydney fell to the ground bleeding. Jennifer walked to Sydney’s side and picked up her weapon. Sydney looked up at Jennifer’s emotionless face as she saw lightning light up the dark night sky as the rain drops fell onto her face. “I told you, Sydney.”

Sydney tried to sit up but the pain was too much. She was bleeding awfully quickly and she knew if she gave into the darkness that she wouldn’t wake up. I thought I was immortal? The Rabamldi fluid in that sphere. Sydney gritted her teeth in pain as she warped back into reality feeling Jennifer touch the bullet entry point in her chest. Jennifer shook her head. “You’re bleeding too much,” she informed her.

“Sloane?” Sydney managed to say.

Jennifer looked over her shoulder and saw Sloane’s body was laying on the street…dead. She turned back to Sydney and raised her gun to her head. “Sorry, Syd.” she said. The last thing Sydney heard was a loud bang. She felt a sharp pain in her frontal lobe of her head…and then…nothing.

--------------------------

“Syd…”

Sydney felt someone shaking her shoulder. Sydney moaned, unable to open her eyes yet.

“Sydney,” the voice repeated.

Sydney opened her eyes and sat up looking around. “Michael?”

Michael smiled at her and held her hand. “You dozed off,” he explained.

It took Sydney a second to register what he said. Sydney rubbed her eyes and nodded her head. “That’s right,” she mumbled. She glanced over to the door across from them to the right with the words ‘Director Chase’ written on it. “They’re not finished yet?”

Michael shook his head. “No, they’ve been in there for at least an hour now.”

Sydney nodded once more remembering that she had convinced Jennifer at the time to persuade Chase to start the investigation on Irina Derevko. She obviously had dozed off whilst waiting for them.

Michael rubbed her back. “You alright?” Sydney nodded hoping Michael wouldn’t question her any further but she had no such luck. “Sydney,” he said pulling back his arm. “About what happened…”

“I don’t want to talk about it.”

“Sydney, this isn’t something that you can just tuck away in your memory,” he said. “I mean…this is huge.”

Sydney faced Michael. “Whatever happened to me I know happened to my mother as well. We need to stop her.”

“I understand that but Sydney…”

“I don’t want to argue with you on this,” she said brusquely.

Michael shook his head and angrily sighed. “God, Syd…you’ve changed.”

“What’s that suppose to mean?”

“It means that whatever the hell happened to you on that island changed you!” he spat. “I barely recognize you!”

“You have no idea what I’m going through now,” she seethed. “And if you did, you’d understand.”

“Then tell me.”

Sydney shook her head and looked down. “I can’t,” she whispered.

Michael stood up and looked down at Sydney angrily when the door to Chase’s office opened and the two women stepped out. Sydney stood up right away and looked at Jennifer hoping to get an answer from her expression, but Jennifer offered none.

“Agent Bristow,” Chase greeted her. Sydney nodded and shook her hand. “Agent Vaughn,” she said turning to him. Michael’s anger wasn’t completely hidden from his face but he suppressed it enough to where Chase didn’t notice. “After much deliberation I have decided that your suspension will be lifted.”

Michael faked a smile and nodded. “Thank you, ma’am.”

Chase nodded and turned to Sydney. “After what Jennifer and I asked I have reached the conclusion that starting an investigation on Irina Derevko is considered necessary at this point so you and your team will be given authorization to do so. Whatever you need to stop her.”

Sydney smiled and nodded. “Thank you.”

With one final nod, Chase turned and left. Michael looked over at Sydney who refused to meet his gaze. Scoffing, Michael turned and left as well. Jennifer watched them leave but decided it wise not to question Sydney on Michael’s behavior. “Please tell me that what I just did is justified,” she asked Sydney.

“It is,” Sydney assured her.

When Sydney said nothing more, Jennifer raised her eyebrow at her and crossed her arms across her chest. “What aren’t you telling me, Bristow?”

Sydney hesitated sagged her shoulders. “I can’t tell you everything,” she admitted.

Jennifer’s eyes widened in surprising. “You better start.”

Sydney shook her head still unsure if Jennifer was to be trusted. So many thoughts entered her mind. About her dream, Sloane, her mother and her ‘immortality’. Sydney grabbed Jennifer’s hands and ignored the look Jennifer gave her towards the gesture. “I need you to promise me something. That you will go through with this. That you will help me bring down the Covenant and Irina.”

“And in turn…?” Jennifer asked.

Sydney let go of Jennifer’s hands. “I will personally deliver you Sloane’s murderer.”

Jennifer considered for a moment and saw that Sydney was dead serious. Still, Jennifer had her doubts…

---------------------

Julian waited until he heard Jennifer’s car pull up into her driveway and shut her lighted and car off. Seconds later he heard her keys in the lock as the door opened. Completely hidden in the dark, Jennifer didn’t realize Julian was sitting in her living room until she flicked the light switch and the room brightened up. Jennifer stared at Julian as he grinned back. She threw her purse and keys on the table and walked into the room. “I thought I told you to leave?”

Julian shrugged. “I wanted to make sure you got home safely.”

“Uh-huh…now why don’t I believe that?”

“How is it going?” he asked changing the subject.

“We’re going back to Germany tomorrow.”

Julian nodded and smiled. “That’s my girl.”

Jennifer sat down and narrowed her eyes at him. “I’m not your girl,” she replied angrily.

“Just remember our agreement Jennifer,” he told her standing up.

“If any harm comes to her…” she warned.

Julian flashed another smile and straightened his suit. “Remember to keep in contact.”

Jennifer angrily shook her head while Julian walked out. She stood up and walked over to the fridge and took out a cold beer. She angrily popped off the top and through it in the sink while gulping half of the bottle down. A flow of tears filled her eyes and she let them fall onto her cheeks while her grief consumed her.

WOW!! This story has a lot of different twists involved!!
-I hope Syd and Vaughn work everything out!!!
Can't wait for more!! Thanks for the pm!!

Back