A line of Forgiveness

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scarlet Crystal

Bibbity Rabbity
here you go....

Part 1

Dixon looked up from the couch of the safe house when a knock came at the door. It was Sydney. He could tell. He didn’t want to talk to her. Why had she done this to him? It was all her fault. He had lost his job, he wasn’t with his wife and kids, and he was restless. Could she have done anything worse? Reluctantly, he got up and opened the door. He put on his hard face as Sydney smiled meekly.

“What?” he said. He didn’t really want to know.

“Can I talk to you Dixon?” Sydney’s voice said, almost pleading.

“Fine. Come in and sit down.” He didn’t ask her to make herself comfortable. Sydney looked at Dixon. Ugh, Dixon thought. Why did she have to be so strong? Dixon looked back in his hard-faced manner.

“Dixon…. I’m sorry about what happened. And… you can go home soon… and, oh the CIA is offering you a job…” Dixon’s heart leaped. He’d being going home! Then it stopped. How did she know what he was thinking? And he remembered that this was the same woman who had done the deed a week before…

(FLASHBACK)

An agent handed Dixon a phone. “Here. Call your family. Tell them that you had to immediately leave for a business trip. Hey, you’ve done it before. Here.” And Dixon dialed his own number. His wife picked up the phone on the other end.

“Hello?” she said.

“Hey, baby it’s me.”

“Oh! I was so worried when you didn’t come home last night-“

“Sorry about that. Well, I have to go on a trip. I’ll see you in- “he glanced at the agent who held up three fingers and said “weeks” –“three weeks. Sorry.”

“Are you going to come home and pack?”

“Sorry, but they gave me stuff here at the bank and are about to send me off.”

“Oh…” Dixon could sense her disappointment. “Well, I love you. Bye.”

“Bye.” Dixon carefully put down the phone. It was very hard to control his anger.

(END FLASHBACK)

Dixon looked at Sydney with hatred as a new thought came to him. Why had Sydney never told him this before? He could have kept it to himself. He had practice: keeping his real job from his wife every day was an example. Was he not trustworthy? For some reason he thought that there was more to it than that, but it still wasn’t fair.

Part 2

Dixon had stopped paying attention. Well, he didn’t really care what she said. He was still heated up. Eventually, Sydney put on a look of defeat and left him alone. When she was gone, he went and got some food. As he ate, he thought about his wife and kids. That cheered him up somewhat.

The rest of the day went by slowly. He basically did whatever he thought would be better than boredom, and then he went to sleep early.

The next day was equally boring. The only high point (which wasn’t a good point) was Sydney’s next visit.

When she came in, Dixon felt a fresh surge of hatred. But he crushed it with his hard face. Sydney tried to cheer him up several times, even telling him it was only three days before he went home, but nothing seemed to change his attitude.

After Sydney left, Dixon decided against trying to occupy himself and just sat down to think. Once again, the thought that he had been lied to all this time… by Sloane, by Sydney, by Jack……. by everyone who knew. Then his thoughts drifted. He vaguely remembered something a long time ago when Sydney was going through a tough time in her life. Then he recalled that her fiancé had been killed. Serves her right, he thought, then stopped himself. What if he had told his wife? Would Sloane have killed her too? And his kids…. It was almost unbearable. For once he felt pity for Sydney. She lived a hard life. And being a double agent…. Ouch. And then he opened himself to other ideas. He hadn’t wanted to believe that it wasn’t Sydney’s fault. He had hoped that he could just blame her and feel better. And realization came over him: it wasn’t Sydney’s fault. She had been lied too, also. She had done him a favor not telling him in a way. He had been protected. And then she had avenged them both by ending SD-6… in fact, she had avenged Marshall, too, and everyone who worked for SD-6 thinking it was the CIA.

So Dixon let a smile cross his face, and when Sydney came the next day, he forgave her. Then she offered the CIA position to him again, and he took it. The day after that, he went home and kissed his wife and kids. He had found his line of forgiveness.

------------
THE END! sorry, this is very old but i wanted to repost it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back