A Mother's Story

Summery: A curious daughter asks her mother how her and her father met.

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>A Mother's Story</span>

A little girl sat straight up in her bed. It was bed time just like every other night. The same time the butler would put her in her bed, and read a story, and send her off to sleep. You think a princess would get a little bit more attention from her parents then she did.

"Good night princess Elizabeth." The butler said in a sweet voice.

She didn't respond. It wasn't like the little five year old to not respond. She was very sweet. She would say good night, and would dream away the night. The butler became worried when she didn't answer.

"Elizabeth, what's the matter?" He asked worried

She smiled "I like you a lot Niles, it's just I would for one night wish my mommy would tuck me in, and tell me a bed time story." She said sadly

Niles heart broke. He felt bad for the poor little girl. With his mother being a Princess, she was busy all the time. She hardly got to see her. It wasn't very often. But her mother loved her very much, and Elizabeth knew that. She spent most of her time with her father, and then the rest with her butler Niles.

"I will see what I can do." Niles said smiling, and going to the door.

Elizabeth smiled at her butler, and then laid down in bed.

~~~

Niles walked down the hall, and towards the door of Princess Charlettes room. He stopped at the door, and knocked ever so softly.

"Come in!" He heard the Princess say.

He opened the door, and she smiled at him. She was a very nice women. She cared about people a lot. She wasn't like most people. He enjoyed working for her and her husband Peter.

He walked over to her, and smiled. "Excuse me for interrupting madam, but your daughter has a request or more of a wish I would say." He spoke.

Charlette smiled at him. "What is it that my daughter wishes?" She asks

"That you tuck her in, and tell her a bed time story." Niles said sweetly

Her heart broke. Had she neglected her daughter so much. To be remind that she hasn't even told her daughter a bed time story, or ever tucked her in. She felt ashamed of herself.

"I will be right there." She responded

Niles smiled at her. He walked out of the door, and closed it behind him.

~~~

Princess Elizabeth waited patiently in her bed for an answer. Would her mother come? Would Niles have to bring bad news? How she hoped her mother would be the one to come.

A knock came at her door. She straightened up, and put a smile on her face.

"You may enter." She said sweetly

Her mother walked in the room, and smiled at her daughter.

"I was told that my daughter had made a wish. Would she like that wish to be granted?" Her mother asked smiling

The little girl smiled, and shook her head with giddy. "She would like that very much." She responded

Charlette walked inside her daughters room, and took a seat next to her on the bed. She fixed her covers just right, and then looked at smiled at her daughter.

"What story would you like me to read to you?" The mother asked

The girl looked down, and bit her lip. "I wanted..to..know..if you could...tell me.. the story...of..how..you and dad met?" She said the last for lines quickly.

Charlette smiled at her daughter. "So you want to know how your father and I met, huh?" She said with a smile

Elizabeth nodded her head. "Well all right then. Lay down, and I will tell you the story." Her mother instructed

The young girl obeyed her mother. She looked up at her mother as soon as she began.

(The mothers story will be italicized. Any time it is italicized, it's her story.)

It was a long time ago. I was just a young girl. I had just hit my sixteenth birthday excited, and happy. Until my mother and father had given me a birthday present that I really did not want.

"What did they get you?" Elizabeth asked interested

It wasn't what they got me, it was what they expected out of me. They told me that on my eighteenth birthday I would marry a man that they had picked out for me. A man I was destined to marry since I was born.

"Daddy!" Elizabeth shouted excited

Charlette smiled at her young daughter. "No Sweetie, I'm afraid not." She said sadly.

Elizabeth pouted. "I don't think I am going to like this story." She whined

Her mother smiled "It gets better, you'll see." She said smiling

Elizabeth smiled back at her mother.

So my parents had told me that in a royal family your parents choose who you marry. By the age of twenty two, you are to marry them, and have a child that will eventually take over your place. I was against my parents decision. I on the other hand believed in true love.

"What's true love?" Elizabeth asked interrupting her mother again.

She smiled. "True love is when two people love each other more then anything in the whole world." He mother said

Elizabeth smiled. "Like you an daddy?" She asked

Her mother nodded. "Like me and daddy." She repeated

She motioned for her mother to go on.

My father on the other hand was against true love. He hated it. He would just say awful things about it.

"There is no such thing as true love!" He yelled to the then sixteen year old Charlette.

"Yes, there is daddy!" She yelled back at him.

"No there isn't" He yelled back. "You will marry the man your mother and I tell you, and that is it!" He yelled back.

"No, no I wont." Charlette yelled to her father.

He turned to her. "If you don't marry the man I tell you to, then you can kiss good-bye being in this family." He yelled "FOREVER!" He yelled and walked away.

The young Charlette fell to her knees, and weeped onto the floor. Her mother approached her. She sat next to her young daughter, and rubbed circles on her back.

"Honey, please do what your father says. We only mean well. Your father and I were forced to marry, and look at how happy we are. And how much I love him." She told her young daughter.

"No, I wont do it! I wont marry a man I do not love." She cried to her mother.

"Come now Charlette....." Her mother started

"No!" Charlette yelled getting up off the floor, and ran away.

"Grandpa wouldn't let you marry who you wanted too?" Elizabeth asked her mommy.

Her mother shook her head. "No honey, he would not." She said sadly

"But he let you marry daddy right?" She asked again

"No honey, he didn't." She said again

The poor girl was confused. "But why?" She asked sadly

The mother smiled "I will get to it later in the story." She told her.

Elizabeth nodded her head, and let her mother continue.

After the fight with my father and my mother, I ran out of the house. I went to this little place that I called my secret hide out. It was a little rock down by the river. I would sit there any time I was mad at my parents, or when I wanted to be alone.

So, I went down there. I hopped on the rock, and watched the pretty clear blue water run down the stream. My tears from the fight I had with my parents just dropped into the water, and the stream carried them away.

I remember how hot it was that day. I wanted to get away from everything that had troubled me. So I decided to take a swim. I jumped into the river, and before I knew what was happening, I was being swept down the river.

"Oh no mommy, what happened?" Elizabeth asked biting her finger nails.

Her mother smiled, and took her hand from her mouth, and held her hand tight.

I screamed for help.

"Help! Help! Some body help me!" Charlette yelled as she floated down stream.

As I passed a farm on the right, a gentlemen saw me. He jumped in after me. He swam to me, and took hold of my arm.

"Hold on to me!" He instructed

I grabbed on to him for dear life. I remember his strength, and his courage. He pulled us out of the water, and onto near by grass. It was then I got a good look at him. He had blonde hair, and dreamy green eyes. His smiled almost melted your heart.

"It was daddy, it was daddy!" Elizabeth said shouting

Charlette smiled "Yes honey, it was your father." She responded. She continued on with the story.

He laid me onto the grass, and made sure that I was ok.

"Are you ok miss?" The gentlemen asked

She smiled up at him. "I'm fine, thank you." Charlette responded smiling

He smiled back, and took a seat next to her. "What's your name?" He asked

"Charlette." She responded "Yours?" She asked

"Peter!" He said back.

There was a pause. They both looked around. "What were you doing swimming in the lake?" He asked her

She put her head down. "Trying to get away from all my problems, and my parents." She said

"Aren't we all." He said laughing

She didn't laugh. "You have no idea what my parents are like, and what they expect of me." She said standing up, and going near a tree.

He got up and followed her. "I'm sure it's not that bad." He said trying to comfort her.

She shook her head. "No, it is. You have no idea." She paused "The things I have to do, the places I go. My parents run my life. They even want to tell me who I have to marry." She yelled almost in the verge of tears.

He walked near her. "Listen, I know how parents are. Sometimes you just have to ignore what they say, and do the opposite thing. Do what you think is best for you." He said

She laughed "I wish it were that easy, but being a princess you don't have that choice. You have to make sure you don't do anything to hurt the royal family name." She said

Peter looked at her stunned. "Oh my God, your princess Charlette." He said shocked

She nodded "That's me! Are you going to go tell my parents, and get a reward for bringing me back." She said

He shook his head. "I wouldn't make you do anything you wouldn't want to do." He said with a smile.

She smiled back at him.

"Did you love him right then and there?" Elizabeth asked her mother.

"Sort of." Her mother answered truthfully.

When Elizabeth didn't ask another question, she continued on with her story.

It was getting late, and it was time that I should return home. I didn't want to. Peter was such a great guy. Like me in so many ways. He saved my life, and he already at that moment he became my friend.

He walked me back to the castle. As soon as we entered the gate my mother and father came running at me.

"Oh Charlette, thank God you are all right." Her mother yelled hugging her.

Her father looked at the young man. "Who are you, and what have you done to my daughter?" He asked yelling

"Why are you all wet?" Her mother asked

"What did you do to my daughter?" He yelled at Peter again

"I didn't do anything!" Peter said in defense.

"Guards! Guards!" Her father yelled

"Daddy no!" Charlette yelled

Guards came around the corner. "Take him to a holding cell." He order

"Daddy wait! He didn't.." Charlette started

"Enough! Take her inside!" Her father yelled

"Noooo!!!" Charlette yelled

They took me inside of the castle, and took Peter to one of the holding cells.

"Was daddy all right?" Elizabeth asked worried

She smiled "Yes sweetie, after I had explained to your grandfather what really happened." She said

She was about to go on, when a knock came on Elizabeth's door.

"Come in!" Charlette yelled

Niles opened the door. "I am sorry to disturb you Miss, but your husband is on the phone." He said

She smiled at Niles. "Thank you, I'll be right there."

She kissed Elizabeth on the cheek. "Excuse me for one moment sweetie, I'll be right back." She said leaving the room.

A few moments later Charlette returned back into the room. She
smiled sweetly at her daughter, and then took her spot back on
the bed next to her. Elizabeth was excited that her mother had
returned. She was loving the story of how her mother and father
met.

"So grandpa did let daddy go, right?" She asked getting back into
the story.

Charlette smiled at her young daughter. "Yes, sweetie he did."

Elizabeth listened as her mother went on with the story.

My father took me to his office, and yelled at me to sit in the
seat. I was scared of course. My father had a temper. my mother
had a worried look on her face. She handed me a towel.

"Where have you been child, and what were you doing with him?"
Her father yelled at her.

"Dad, Peter saved my life." Charlette cried

"What are you talking about?" He yelled

"I went down to the lake to think, and I jumped in the water,
and....well... the river just started to take me down the stream,
and I almost drowned." She said biting her lip.

"Young lady" He yelled "How many times have I told you to not going swimming in a river. When are you going to listen!" He yelled at his daughter

My mother and my father argued a little bit. My mother told him to let me tell my side of the story, and my father yelled at my mother that I need to be punished. Finally my mother won, and she let me tell my side of the story.

"Anyway, I was screaming for help when Peter heard me, and jumped in, and saved me. He pulled me out of the river, and made sure I was ok." Charlette told her father.

"Did he touch you in any way?" Her father asked.

"Of course not daddy." She said quickly. "Please, please just let him go. If it wasn't for him I would have never been able to speak to you right now." She pleaded with her father.

"So grandpa let him go?" Elizabeth asked

"Yes!" Her mother responded. She went on with the story.

I begged my father to let me see him one more time, and say thank you for saving my life. He didn't want to, but my mother had changed his mind.

"After you thank him, you are to never see him again." He yelled "Is that understood?" He asked her

Charlette put her head down. "Yes, sir." She responded

So a guard had taken me over to the holding cell where they kept Peter. The moment I saw him I was happy again. He was my only friend. Even if it was for only a few hours.

"You didn't have any friends mommy?" She asked "Why?" She asked curious

Her mothers smile faded. "Because my father never let me go anywhere. I always had do what he wanted me to, and go where he wanted me too. I never got to talk to anyone. And your father understood me." She said smiling again

Elizabeth smiled when she saw her mother smile. "Go on mommy." She stated

Anyway, they let me in to talk to him. I sat on a pile of hay that was in there.

"I'm sorry Peter, I never meant for this to happen to you." Charlette said sadly.

He smiled "Don't worry about it. I understand that your father was worried about you, and wanted to protect you. All dads are like that." He responded

Charlette nodded her head, and then began to cry. "What's the matter?" Peter asked worried

"My..my father wont let me ever see you again. He says after this, I'm not allowed." She cried

Peter pulled her into a hug. "Hey, remember what I told you about sometimes ignoring your parents?" He asked

She looked back into his eyes, and cleared some tears away. "Uh huh!" She answered

"Well, if you ever want to see me, then we can always meet at the river. It will be our little secret hiding place." He said

Charlette smiled up at him. "Really?" She asked "You would risk getting in trouble to hang out with me?" She asked

He smiled "Yea! You are like the only friend that I've got that understands me." He said back

She smiled "Ok!" She laughed "How about we meet everyday at noon, until two p.m.?" She asked

"It's a date." He said

The hugged again, and then the guard came back and told Peter it was his time to go.

"Did you guys meet everyday at noon?" Elizabeth asked her mother

Her mother smiled. "Yes, we did. Your father was my life line. I needed the two hours everyday with him. I would go insane if I didn't." She said

She got a chuckle out of her young daughter

"So, what did you guys do when you would met?" She asked

"We would talk." She paused "But about a month after we started meeting, it became more then a friendship." Her mother said

"Love?" Elizabeth asked

Her mother looked at her curious. How could her five year old already know what the word 'love' means? She was amazed.

"Yes!" Her mother said smiling

"Well, what happened that one day?" She asked

"He kissed me." Her mother responded

Elizabeth gave her the look to go on with the story.

It was a bright and sunny day. It was very hot out. Peter and I were sitting under the tree talking, when he asked me a question.

"How many boy friends have you had?" He asked

"None!" She said

"Really." He said shocked "A pretty girl like you would have a million guys lined up around the block." He said

She blushed the moment he said it. "Peter!" She said embarrassed

"I'm serious!" He shouted at her.

She smiled at him. "What about you" She said "How many girlfriends have you had?" She asked

"None!" He answered

"Your lying!" She said

"I am not." He responded

"You have to be. I don't know what girl wouldn't want to go out with you." She said

Peter put his head down. "I do." He said

Charlette looked shocked by his answer. "Why?" She asked stunned

"Because all the girls want rich boys, and me being a farmers son isn't actually a money maker." He said sadly

Charlette felt bad for Peter. He was a really good guy. "There just shallow. They don't know the real you." She said smiling

He smiled at her. "So you would date a poor boy?" He asked

She smiled "Sure! Money doesn't matter to me. As long as he loves me, that's what matters." She said truthfully

There was a pause, and then Peter spoke up.

"Can I ask you something?" Peter asked

She smiled at him. "Sure!" She said

"Do you love me?" He asked serious

She looked into his eyes, and saw what she has been looking for. She put her head down.

"Yes!" She said

He grabbed my face with both of his hands, and then placed a kiss on my lips. Once we broke apart I smiled at him.

"I love you too." Peter said

"So you guys became boyfriend and girlfriend?" Elizabeth asked

Her mother smiled "Yes, we did." She responded

"So then what happened?" Elizabeth asked

"I made the mistake by telling one of my friends about your father. She became jealous of us, and told my father." Charlette told her daughter

"Oh no mommy, what did grandpa do?" Elizabeth asked worried

"He forbid me to ever see him again." Her mother said, then going back to the story.

I was sitting in the tv room, watching tv when my father came storming in the room with my mother behind him.

"Charlette Ann Jacobs, What do I hear about you and a boy?" he asked yelling

Charlette turned off the tv, and looked him straight in the eye. "Daddy, I have no idea what you are talking about." She said acting dumb.

"Don't play dumb with me, I know you are going around with that Peter boy after I told you, you were to never see him again!" He yelled

"Daddy, I don't.." She started

"Charlette your friend Jessica told me! I know about you and that poor boy. Now, I warned you that you were to never see him again, and you disobeyed me." He yelled

"But daddy, you don't understand." She tried crying now.

"I understand everything." He yelled "May I remind you that you are a princess, and that you can't go around with some poor boy. You are to see, and talk to who I tell you too." He yelled

"No!" Charlette yelled back

"You are to never see him again, do you understand?" He yelled angry

"No!" Charlette yelled again

"So help me God Charlette, if I see you or hear you are with him again, I will have him killed. Do you understand me?" He yelled

"No, you can't do that!" She yelled

"I can do anything I want, and you will not see him again. If you do you are out of this family, and I will kill him. End of discussion! Go to your room!" He yelled

I ran off to my room as fast as I could. I didn't want to cry to my father. I didn't want him to see me weak. But I did, and that was my biggest mistake.

"He was going to kill daddy?" Elizabeth asked with tears forming in her eyes.

Charlette grabbed her daughter, and gently rocked her back and forth. "He would have, but I wasn't going to let it happen." She responded

She smiled at her mother. So what happened then?" She asked

I cried all that day, and into the night. I didn't even go down to dinner. I never wanted to see my father again. He ruined my life. Later that night my mother came into my room. I just ignored her.

"Charlette honey, are you ok?" She asked going over to her daughters bed.

Charlette looked up at her. "Do you agree with dad?" Charlette asked her

"Honey, you have to understand something." She paused "I love your father, and I will stand by any decision he makes." She said

"Get out!" Charlette yelled

"Honey please.." The mother begged

"Get out!" Charlette yelled again

The mother got off the bed. "Honey, one day you will understand that we did this for your own good." She said

Charlette looked up at her crying. "And you can know this." She began "You took away the only person that I ever loved. The only!" She yelled again at her mother.

Charlette went back to crying as her mother left the room.

"Not even your mommy would help you?" Elizabeth asked

Charlette shook her head. "No sweetie. My mother always agreed with my father. A part of me always believed that she just wanted to make him happy. She never spoke up for herself, or not even me." She said sadly

"I'm sorry mommy." Elizabeth said giving her a hug.

She hugged her daughter tightly back. "Thank you sweetie." She said

"So what happened with you and daddy?" She asked

Well, the next day I had to tell Peter. You see, I loved your father very much, and I knew that my father would keep his word. I didn't want Peter to get hurt. He was the only person that I really had. So the next day, I met Peter at noon at the river.

She walked sadly along the path to the river with her head down. She looked up, and saw Peter already there. A tear rolled down her cheek.

"Charlette!" Peter called

He ran over to her. "Hey, it's twelve ten, your late." He said worried

Charlette broke down into tears. Peter pulled her into his embrace, and held her tight. He placed a kiss on her forehead.

"Honey, what's the matter?" He asked

She cried some more. Peter waited until she was done crying. "My..my..my..fath..father found out about us." She said crying again

"How?" Was all Peter could say.

"I'm sorry, but I thought I could tell my friend Jessica about us, but she instead told my father, and my father said he would kill you if I didn't stop seeing you, and now I can't ever see you again, and I am so sorry Peter, I love you. I love you so much." She said as she cried into his shoulder.

Peter was shocked as he absorbed all the information. Her father found out, and now if she didn't stop seeing him, her father would kill him. But she loved him. He smiled at that part.

He rubbed small circles on her back. "Honey, it's ok. We can make it work. We will find a way. I wont give you up." He said

She looked at him with tears rolling down her cheeks. "Peter, you have to believe me when I say there is nothing more that I want then to be with you, but I wont take the chance in losing you. You don't know my father, if he found out that somehow we were still seeing each other he would kill you, and I would never forgive myself." She cried

He place a kiss on her cheek. "We have to make it work, I can't lose you." He said

"I don't want to lose you either, but..but.." She couldn't finish it.

"I love you." He said

"I love you too." She said

He then placed another kiss on my lips. That would be the last one for a long time.

"Why would that be the last one for a long time?" She asked her mother

"Because the next day, my father had told me that we were moving." She said to her daughter.

Elizabeth looked at her stunned.

"Grandpa said you were moving?" Elizabeth asked her mother

Her mother nodded sadly. "Yes dear, he did." She said

"Why mommy? Why would grandpa do that?" She asked

Her mother hugged her again. "Because grandpa wanted me to marry the man he had picked out. And if we would have stayed, he knew it would be harder for him to get me to marry this man." Her mother answered

"Go on mommy." Elizabeth encouraged.

I spent all night in my room. I was depressed. The only person that I ever cared about, and loved was being taken away from me. I loved your father very much, but I wouldn't risk his life to make myself happy. Shortly after my mother had called me down for dinner.

A knock came on Charlette's door. She didn't answer. Her mother slowly opened the door, and peered in.

"Charlette honey, dinner is ready." Her mother said

"I'm not hungry." She mumbled back.

"Charlette please come down for dinner. Your father has good news to tell you." She said smiling.

I for some reason believed my mother that it would be good news. That maybe my father would have come to his senses, and let me be with Peter.

"He didn't did he mommy?" Elizabeth asked

"No." She said, then going on with the story.

I came down stairs, and I found my father sitting at the dinner table smiling at me. A part of me really got excited. I was hoping that he would let me see Peter. I sat down in my chair, and smiled back at my father.

"Mother, said you have good news father. What is it?" She asked politely

He smiled. "You mother is right. I do have very good news. We are moving." He said smiling

Charlette dropped her fork on her plate, and tears welled up in her eyes.

"Were moving?" She asked scared

Her father smiled "Yes princess, were moving. Tomorrow we pack, and the next day we leave. Were are moving to France." He said smiling

"I don't want to move!" Charlette yelled "I like were we are now." She
cried

Her father's anger came back. "Well, I'm sorry that you don't like it, but this is what's going to happen, and we are moving to France. End of discussion!" He yelled

"No!" She yelled back "I wont leave here. I love it here. My friends are here, and....and..." She started to say

Her father slammed down his fist. "And what? That poor boy you are so into his here. That's to bad. We are leaving. You are a princess, and I will not have you fancying a farmer's boy." He yelled

"You don't know him." She yelled

"I don't have to, you ungrateful child." He paused as she cried harder. "There will be no more talk of this. Eat your supper." He yelled

She looked at him, and then her silent mother. She turned back at her father, and said something to him that he would never forget.

"I hate you!" She yelled getting up off her chair, and running to her room.

"You told grandpa you hated him?" Elizabeth asked her.

Her mother nodded her head. "Yes sweetie I did. I meant it too." She said

Her daughter put her head down. "I'm sorry grandpa was so mean to you mommy." She said

Elizabeth melted her heart. She was so sweet. "I'm sorry to sweetie." She said placing a kiss on her forehead.

"So what did you do next mommy?" Elizabeth asked

Her mother put her head down. "I had to do the signal hardest thing I ever had to do. Say good-bye to your father." She said

Her daughter nodded, and she went on with the story.

That night I cried myself to sleep. Now, I knew I was never going to see your father again. The next morning I got up, and stayed in my room. My mother and father knew I was angry, and didn't expect me to come, and see them.

So, I climbed out of my window, and made my way to the river. Our place. It was noon by the time I got there. Your father never looked more handsome then he did sitting on the rock waiting for me. Tears rolled down my cheeks. I walked over to him, and he could tell by the tears rolling down my eyes it was something serious.

"Honey, what's the matter?" Peter asked

"Hold me." She said crying

Peter pulled her into his tight embrace. She cried, and cried onto him. He whispered to her that it would be ok softly. Her tears finally subsided. She still stayed in his protective hold.

"Tell me!" Peter demanded

She looked up at him with her cheeks wet, and her eyes red, and puffy.

"My..my father said we are moving. I leave tomorrow. Were moving to France Peter." She said

He was shocked. He didn't think her father would take it that far.

"It will be all right, we will put through." He said to her

"How?" She asked him

He didn't have an answer. How were they going to pull through. She was moving to France, and leaving him behind.

"My father is going to make me marry a man that I don't love. He's going to make me live a life that I don't want." She said

Peter took her face, and made her look into his eyes. "I know this is going to be hard. Saying good-bye to you is something that I can not do. But it seems that I must. Charlette, I want you to know something. These past couple of months have been like heaven with you. You are the sweetest, prettiest, and kindest person I have ever known. My love for you travels far, and wide. You will always be the one that I love, and will treasure forever." He paused "For that, I will spend the rest of my life thinking about you, for you are the only one I could ever love. I love you Charlette Ann Jacobs. I will love here and now, even when you are in France." He said getting watery himself.

She cried throughout his whole speech. She knew that the love he had was true, and that she felt the same way. It killed her to have to leave him. Her life line was being cut, and slowly she would fall, fall to miserable death.

"Peter, then you must know this. You are the bravest, sweetest, caring men I have ever meet. Every time I see you, you get more and more handsome. I wish so many times that I wasn't a princess. I just want live a normal life, and the man I love. I will kill to be poor, and a farmers daughter. My love for you will also travel far and wide. For you are the only one that I love. You have my heart, and you always will. Remember that no matter what happens I love you Peter Smith." She said crying now.

Peter bent his head down, and captured my lips with his. We stayed in that hold forever. I never wanted to leave.

Charlette stopped to look at her own daughter crying. "Sweetie, are you ok?" Her mother asked her concern.

She nodded her head, as her mother hugged her again. "You and daddy were so cute. Why did grandpa have to do that mommy, why?" She asked letting tears go.

Her mother rubbed small circles on her back. "Elizabeth, sometimes people do things for their own reasons. You will spend most of your time trying to figure out why, but you will come to the conclusion that you just don't know." She said "do you understand?" She asked her daughter.

Elizabeth nodded wiping a tear away. "So what happened next?" She asked

It was our time to break apart. It would be our last time together. We both stood up, and looked into each others eyes.

"I love you Charlette Ann Jacobs. Always and forever." He said to her.

She smiled at him. "And I love you Peter John Smith. Always and forever." She repeated back to him.

We kissed one more time, and then we both went our separate ways. It was the last time I saw your father until my eighteenth birthday.

"Wait mommy!" She said

Her mother watched as she seemed to be counting on her fingers.

"Mommy, that's a whole year and half!" She yelled

Her mother smiled "That's right honey, it was." She said

"Well, what did you do for those two years?" She asked

She smiled "I tried to live a normal life, but my thoughts only came back to your father." She said going on with the story.

The next day came, and all of our stuff was packed. My father and I didn't speak to each other unless it was a must. I never wanted to see him again. He ruined my life. For that I would never forgive him.

I had this butler that was just the best. He always supported everything that I did. So I knew I could trust him. I became depressed when I learned that he was going to stay behind, and not come with us to France. I made him promise me to write to me about your father and himself. Of course he did. I also gave him something to give to your father.

"What did you give daddy?" Elizabeth asked interrupting

I gave him a picture with me on it, when I turned sixteen. On the back I wrote 'I love you, always and forever.' My butler wrote me that he was touched, and took it with him where ever he went. A month later your father gave me a picture, and had the same message on the back.

Anyway, my new life in France was nothing but pure torture. My father showed me off to all his fancy friends. He would give me to the highest bidder. I attended parties ever night. Everybody wanted the famous then seventeen year old Charlette Ann Jacobs.

"When did you turn seventeen mommy?" She asked

"Two months after we got there." She said, going back to the story.

My parents had thrown my a huge party. For the next year I would meet the man I was suppose to marry. This birthday they said would be my last childish birthday. They invited so many people. Parents, and young gentlemen. None of it mattered to me, because the one person I wanted the most, wasn't there.

"Charlette sweetie, it's time for you to blow out your candles." Her mother said

"Yes, mother." Charlette responded

She walked into the room, where the lights were off, and the candles were lit. Everybody sang her happy birthday, and then it was time for her to make a wish.

"What did you wish for mommy?" Elizabeth asked

Her mother smiled, and then went on with the story.

I wished for the one thing I wanted the most. I wished that someday I could see your father again.

"That's so cute mommy." Elizabeth said smiling

Her mother smiled. Just then Elizabeth's door opened, and in walked her father.

"Well, finally I found the two women I love the most." He said smiling

"Daddy!" Elizabeth shouted getting up off the bed.

"Honey!" Charlette said smiling

"How's my pumpkin?" He said hugging his daughter, and placed a kiss on her cheek.

"I'm just great daddy. Mommy's telling me the story of how you two met." She said smiling

"She is, is she." He said looking at his wife.

"Uh huh, and daddy, you were a real gentlemen." She said giving her father a kiss.

He placed a kiss back, and then smiled at his wife. "Well thank you pumpkin." He said looking at his wife. "I couldn't help it, your mother melted my heart." He said

Charlette blushed at his words. Peter put his daughter back down on the bed, and then kissed his wife on the cheek.

"Hey!" He said

"Hey!" She said smiling. "Would you care to join us?" She asked

"I would love to." He responded "Where did you leave off?" He asked

"I had just told her what I wished for, on my seventeenth birthday." She said sweetly

"Ahh...... that wish." He said smiling

He winked at his daughter. "Please honey, continue." He said

Elizabeth looked at both her parents, and smiled at them. They really did love each other.

"Well, I had my only one wish. To see your father again." She said

Peter smiled at his wife, and Elizabeth just awed at the two.

The song was over, and it was time to make the wish and blow out my candles.

'I wish that I get to see the man that has stolen my heart. I wish he was here with me.' Charlette said to herself.

I blew out the candles, and opened my eyes. Everybody cheered, and began to cut the cake. I on the other hand didn't feel like celebrating. Just before I could escape my party, my mother had grabbed me.

"Charlette honey, what did you wish for?" Her mother asked

"It's a wish mother, if I tell you it wont come true." Charlette responded

Her mother laughed, and then smiled. "Honey, your wishes never come true." She said walking away.

A part of me believed my mother. If wishes did come true, then your father would have been with me, and not a million miles away. I lost hope that night. I knew that no matter how hard I tried to fight, there would always going to be people pushing me down. I would always be told what to do.

"Did daddy ever come?" She asked her mother

Charlette looked at her husband and smiled, and then looked back at her daughter.

"Not right away sweetie." She said

Elizabeth turned to her father. "Daddy, were you as lonely as mommy was?" She asked

He smiled at her. "Of course I was." He responded "I died a little bit each day with your mother not around. Her love casted a spell on me." He said smiling, and looking into his wife's eyes.

Elizabeth chuckled at her parents. "You guys are so cute." She chuckled out.

Elizabeth's door opened again, and Niles entered. "I am sorry to interrupt yet again, but I am afraid you have a phone call Mr. Smith." He said

"Thank you Niles." Peter responded

Peter placed a kiss on his wife's cheek, and then on his daughter. "You two lovely ladies excuse me for one second. Please go on with the story." He said smiling

"Bye daddy." Elizabeth called

He smiled back at his daughter, and then walked out of her room. Elizabeth turned her attention back to her mother.

"So, you said not right away. Daddy did come then?" She asked

Her mother smiled. "Yes, he did. I remember as if it was yesterday." She said going back to the story.

After my seventeenth birthday, I counted the days until I knew my life would really be over. I had looked at the calendar, and a year had passed. It was one week until my eighteenth birthday. One week until I would meet the man I would have to spend the rest of my life with.

A man I did not love.

I never saw my father as happy as he was. I only learned that my father was happy, because I was going to marry a rich boy. More money then my father could ever imagine. My father was greedy.

slowly day after day came, and there was only two days left until the big day. I could only think about your father. I part of me wondered if he still thought about me. Or if..if he had moved on. Or if he even loved me.

I wrote him a letter that day.

Dear Peter,

My wonderful sweet Peter. How I miss you so. I miss our meeting by the river. I miss our talks that I so much loved. I miss being with you. I hate it here in France. It's boring, and it smells. How's the family, and the farm? How are you holding up? It would be a lie to tell you that I am fine. I am slowly starting to break into madness. A long and deep depression.
Besides me writing this letter to you to tell you how much I miss, and love you, I have another reason. I know you know that I turn eighteen in two days. In two days I will meet the man I am suppose to marry. I don't know if I can do it Peter. I don't know if I can live this life anymore. I want to be with you. I want to spend the rest of my life with you. You saved my life that one day two years ago when I was calling. I am calling again.
HELP ME PETER, HELP ME!!

I love you always, and forever!

Love,

Charlette

I cried writing that letter. I knew it would be my last hope in saving me from the life I was about to indoor. I sealed it up, and sent it on its way. Hoping that your father's eyes would read it.

"Did he get the letter mommy?" She asked

"At first I did not know." She answered back.

"Did you have to meet the man you were to marry?" Elizabeth asked

"Yes." She said "But that wasn't the worst part." She answered

"What was the worst part?" She asked

Charlette went on with the story.

Two days had passed since I wrote the letter. It was my birthday. The day I dreaded since I was told two years earlier about it. I knew what was coming. Early in the morning my mother busted into my room.

"Charlette, get up. Get up!" She repeated again. A sleeping Charlette awoke to her mother's voice. "Today you get to meet your future husband." Her mother said smiling

Today was the day that I would die.

I was forced out of my bed. My mother had planned the whole day out. I was to take a shower, and then get dressed. I was to have my hair, and make up done. And then later that night I would meet him. My mother would talk about him non stop. I remember as she was fixing my hair.

"Charlette honey, you are going to love him. Your father and I only picked the best for you." She said

Charlette stared at her mother. "I can promise you one thing. I will never love him." She said

Her mother smiled. "I said the same thing when I was your age. But look at how much I love your father now." She said

Charlette rolled her eyes. "My heart belongs to somebody else." She said with her head down.

Her mother laughed. "Stop this non sense. I will not ever hear you speak about your heart belonging to somebody else. You are to young to know what loves it. You will love who your father and I tell you to love." She said back getting angry this time.

Charlette stood from the chair she was sitting in. "I will NOT love who you tell me too. I am sick and tired of being told what to do, and who to love." She paused yelling "I will not love this boy you present to me tonight, and I can tell you this.." She started "I do not love you." She yelled

Her mother slapped her hard across the face. "How dare you speak to me that way child." She yelled "You are a child, and you will obey. Your father was right, you are ungrateful." She said

"Then let me be!" She yelled

Her mother laughed. "Do you honestly think I am going to let my child tell me what to do." She said "You don't get what you want Charlette, your father and I do. YOU will marry the man your father and I tell you too, and I don't want to hear another word about it!" She yelled

Charlette didn't say anything in response. She wasn't going to win over her mother and her father. A battle she knew she would lose.

"You will be there at six tonight?" Her mother asked

Charlette nodded her head. "Yes, mother." She said

Her mother smiled, and then left the room.

I cried the rest of the day, until it was six that night.

Elizabeth had tears in her eyes. "Even your own mommy turned on you?" She asked

Charlette nodded "Yes sweetie, even my own mother." She said

"Well, what did you do then?" She said clearing away a few sniffles.

"I did what I was told, I met the man I was suppose to marry." She said going back to the story.

I had looked at the clock on my night stand It read six o'clock. I would now have to face my worst nightmare.

I walked down the stairs to the living room. I could hear my mother and father laughing. I could hear a gentlemen's voice. It would be him. My future husband. I slowly took the last steps, and stepped into my new future. My father and my mother smiled at me, as I came into view.

My hair was up in a pretty bun. I had the nicest touch of make up. It just made my outfit look complete. I was wearing a big and puffy gown. I had to force a small smile out.

"And finally, here is our pride and joy." Her father said to the man standing before them.

He smiled coming to take her hand.

"How do you do?" He asked placing a kiss on her hand.

I forced a smile. "Very well, thank you." Charlette responded

"Please come and sit, and join us." He said gesturing me to sit.

Charlette smiled again. "Thank you." She responded taking a seat.

'It's my pleasure." He said smiling

He wasn't bad looking, but my heart still belonged to somebody else. He was a true gentlemen, but I really didn't care for him. He was nothing compared to Peter.

"Robert, I would like you to meet our daughter Charlette." Her father said

"Charlette, what a beautiful name." Robert said "Did you pick it out yourself Mrs. Jacobs?" He asked

Her mother smiled at him. "Why yes, thank you." She said

I could tell my parents loved him. They couldn't wait for us to be married.

"Charlette, are you going to say thank you to Robert?" Her mother asked her.

"I'm sorry, where are my manners. Thank you." She said

"Not a problem my dear." Robert responded

He was already calling me dear. I could have puked at the sight.

"Look at how cute you both look already." Her father commented

Robert smiled "Well, thank you Mr. Jacobs." He said

Charlette on the other hand was miles and miles away. She wasn't thinking about Robert. She was thinking about Peter.

"Charlette honey, Robert asked you a question." Her mother said

"I'm sorry Robert, what did you say?" Charlette asked coming our of her daze.

"I said what do you plan on doing with your title after we are married?" He asked

"Title?" She asked confused

"Well, you are a princess." He said

"Married?" She asked again after letting sink in.

"Darling, are you ok?" Robert asked

"Darling?" She asked getting scared.

It was moving way to fast. He was already asking me what I wanted to do with my title after we were married. We weren't suppose to be married for two more years. I couldn't understand why he was talking about it then.

"What did you do mommy?" Elizabeth asked

"I got the worst news ever." She said

"What?" Elizabeth asked, and her mother went to the story.

"Charlette sweetie, are you all right?" Her mother asked

"I'm fine mother. Why wouldn't I be?" She answered.

"You just flipped put over Robert asking you a question." She answered

She put her head down. "I'm sorry Robert, please forgive me." She said

I hated lying. I wasn't sorry. I didn't want to be there, and I flipped out because things were moving to fast. Things that I didn't even want in the first place.

"I have good news." Her father said excited

Charlette and Robert both looked up.

"What is the good news father?" Charlette asked

"Instead of your twenty first birthday, you are going to be married in one week." Her father said excited

"That's great news." Robert said smiling

My heart sunk into my chest. I would now have to be married in one week. There was no point in yelling. I knew it would do me no good. My father and mother would just call me ungrateful, and tell me it would happen anyway. And just like they say, it always has.

I knew from that moment, I would never get to marry my true love. I knew from that moment, I would be a fancy princess, that was showed all around the world, and did everything I was told to do.

I knew the girl in me, really died.

"You had to get married in one week?" Elizabeth asked her mother.

"Yes honey, I would." She said

"Did daddy know about it?" She asked

"He would soon know. For this would be the wedding of the century." She said

"Wow mommy, you were popular." Elizabeth said

She laughed. "You could say that." Her mother responded

"So what did you do next?" Elizabeth asked

"I did what I was told to do." She paused "I got ready for my wedding." She said

I had one week left until I was no longer Charlette Ann Jacobs anymore. I would then be Charlette Ann Roster. Better known as Princess Roster. I thought the name was awful. But, as usual I didn't have a choice.

My mother had picked out my wedding gown, and people came in and out of the house all day. The flower lady, the wedding planner, the food planner, the music try outs.

I would just sit in my room, and cry. I took out the only thing I had that kept me sane. My picture of your father. I read the words on the back a million times.

'I love you Charlette Ann Jacobs. Always, and forever.' It read.

She cried a few tears. "You love Charlette Ann Jacobs, but will you love Charlette Ann Roster." She whispered to herself.

She cried as she said the name again. "Charlette Ann Roster." She repeated again.

A knock came to her door. She quickly put the picture under her pillow.

"Come in!" She answered

Her new butler came in. "Miss, your love asks for your presence." He said

"My love." She whispered. 'Since when was he my love?' She asked herself.

"Tell him I am not well. I wont be able to come down." She answered

"As you wish Princess." He said closing the door.

It was then the day before the wedding. I had somehow managed to keep myself from seeing Robert the whole week. I still don't know how I did it, but I did.

"Mommy, when did daddy come?" Elizabeth asked worried

She laughed "I'm getting there sweetie." She said going back to the story.

It was late that night. My last night as myself. I walked out of my room, and down to the pool. The closes thing to a river that I had. I knew that tomorrow would not only be a new day, but a knew life.

I also knew that your father would always have my heart. For that no one else could have it. But, I knew that it was time I really said good-bye. I was never going to see him again, and Robert at least deserved my friendship.

I stuck my feet in the pool, and held his picture in my hand.

"I said saying good-bye to you was never easy. But now it is a must. You will always have my heart Peter. You will always have my love. I am going to have to marry Robert tomorrow." She paused "He's a really good guy, but he's not you. He at least deserves my friendship. I just know that it is time I do say good-bye. Tomorrow my life that I love will end, and my new one will begin. I will always hold you in my heart. I will love you always, and forever." Charlette said

I kissed the picture, and then I threw it into the pool. I let the water wash away my old life. My love, me. I walked back up stairs, and went into my room. I prayed that night.

"Dear God. I know my fate. I know what life has in store for me. I ask you that you help Peter. Let him be happy. Let him..him..love.." She began to cry. "Another women, as he loved me. Let him have a happy and life full of love that he deserves." She said crying. "Amen!" She said

I turned out the lights, and awaited for the next day to begin, and my new life along with it.

"That's really sad mommy." She said

"I know sweetie, but it gets better. I promise." She said placing a kiss on her daughter's head.

"Ok mommy, what happened next?" Elizabeth asked wanting to know more.

Charlette smiled at her young daughter. "Well....."

I awoke the next morning to the loud sounds of the gates opening up to the castle. I knew what day it was. It was my wedding day. The day that I wished would never come was finally here. I wanted to know what the big commotion was, so I stepped out of bed, and went over to my window.

Outside it was crazy with people. The band was setting up, the wedding planer was going crazy trying to get everything set. Plates, and plates of food were being carried into the kitchen. That's when I knew.

"Knew what mommy?" Elizabeth asked

"That it wasn't a dream." She responded

I stepped away from the window, and looked in the mirror. I wonder what happened to the girl that use to be happy. The girl that use to smile. A lonely, sad, heart broken girl replaced her.

Just then my mother came flying through the door.

"Finally Charlette, your up." Her mother said

Charlette kept looking in the mirror. "Yes, mother I'm up." She responded in a less then happy tone.

"Well, let's get you dressed. You have a big day today." She said excited

"Yes, yes I do." She responded in the same tone.

Her mother looked at her. "Charlette dear, try and be happy. Today is your wedding day." She yelled happy.

"My wedding day." Charlette repeated sadly.

"Did you actually get dressed mommy?" Elizabeth asked

"Yes, honey I did." She answered

"Oh." She responded "Get to when daddy came. Please........." She begged

Charlette laughed at her young daughters excitement.

"I'm getting there." She said taking her index finger, and poking her on the nose in a motherly manner. "Your going to love this part." Charlette said smiling

Elizabeth smiled at her mother, and Charlette went on.

It was an hour before the wedding would start. For some reason my parents had picked an out door wedding. I soon then realized why.

My father wanted money, as always. So he figured that with an outdoor wedding, people could pay to take pictures on my big day. Even on my wedding dad my father was horrible to me.

I was sitting in what we called the 'Bride tent.' I had to admit my dress was lovely. It was long, and white. My dress came off my shoulders, and made a 'V' shape near my chest. The dress curved to my body, and hugged me tight. My bottom was puffy, but not to where it was puffy to be ugly. It just gave the nice extra touch.

My veil was long, and very beautiful. It was real pearls, and gorgeous lace all around it. My hair was done on a bun, and it fit nicely around my veil loop on the top of my head. My make up finished off the final touches, and I was all set to go.

"I bet you looked like a real princess." Elizabeth said to her mother.

Charlette smiled. "Thank you." She said smiling

"Would you say your dress was a fairy tale dress?" Elizabeth asked

Her mother smiled and nodded. "Yes, sweetie I would." She said

"Ok, go on." Elizabeth said getting her eagerness back.

I stood in the tent, and just looked into the long mirror. I wished your father could have seen how pretty I looked. I actually stood in the mirror, and for the first time in years I smiled. Just by the way I looked, I felt like a princess.

It was then I looked back in the mirror, and I was surprised to see someone standing behind me.

"Was it daddy, was it daddy?" Elizabeth asked excited

Charlette let out a chuckle. "Yes sweetie, it was." She responded

I turned around not believe my eyes. Could it be? Could Peter actually be standing next to me on my wedding day? Tears sprang to my eyes.

"Peter?" Charlette whispered

He smiled "You make a beautiful bride." He answered

Tears left Charlette's eyes. "What are you doing here?" She asked still stunned.

He smiled once again. He reached in his pocket, and unfolded the letter, and held it up. "I heard someone needed help." He answered

A little weep left Charlette's mouth. "My letter." She whispered

"Your letter." He answered back.

I couldn't stand another moment being away from him. As fast as my legs could go, I ran into your father's arms. It felt so good to have him hold me again. To see his smile, and to kiss him. It was then I realized how much I actually missed him.

After what felt like forever we broke the hold.

"Today's your wedding day?" He asked sadly

She nodded letting tears go. "Yes." She answered

"Charlette!" He called. She looked up. "Do you love me?" He asked

She smiled "Always, and forever." She answered through her tears.

"Then run away with me." He said

She looked at him shocked. "Peter, we can't." She answered

He nodded "Yes, yes we can." He said

"Peter, there is nothing I would want more then that, but my father.....and my mother......and...and...this princess thing." She said

"I remember you wished that you didn't have to be a princess. I remember that you said you would have love to been a farmers daughter." He said, as Charlette had tears in her eyes. "I came here today, because I can't live another moment without you. I love you way to much. I've come to save you from this life. I've come to take you home with me." He said. He held out his hand, and looked her in the eye.

"All you have to do is come with me." He said

"Did you go mommy, did you go?" Elizabeth asked excited

She smiled " I don't know, whatda you think?" She asked

Elizabeth smiled "I think you did, didn't you mommy?" She asked again

Charlette smiled "Yes, I did." She responded.

I took my hand, and grabbed his tight.

"I love you." Charlette said

"I love you back." He said smiling

Finally they broke the gaze. "How are we going to get out? Where are we going to stay?" She asked

He smiled "Don't worry, I had some help."

Charlette looked at him curious. "How?" She asked

Just then the tent opened, and in walked Charlette's old butler that remained behind when she moved to France.

"Al!" She yelled

"Princess Charlette!" He yelled giving her a hug.

"You helped Peter?" She asked

"How could I not. The boys in love." He smiled "And with a certain lovely princess that I adore so very much." He added in.

Charlette hugged him again. "I'm so happy to see you again." She said

"It's time we go." Al said "Your wedding will begin in a little while." He said

Peter smiled, and held his hand out once again. "You ready?" He asked looking at Charlette.

She took his hand. "I've been ready." She said smiling.

"CHARLETTE!" Her mother yelled

"Oh no!" Charlette yelled, my mother.

"Let's go!" Al said getting them out of the tent.

"Did you and daddy make it out mommy?" Elizabeth asked

She nodded "With Al's help we did."

"So what happened next?" Elizabeth asked

<i>We drove, and drove. We drove to the part of France that was not as rich as most other parts. It was raining by then. Cops were everywhere. Lighting and thunder was pounding down hard. My dress, my beautiful dress was ruined. The water had damaged it.

We finally stopped the car. We were in this little tiny ally street. The walls were white, and there were windows and doors all around. You could see the sky perfectly from there. There were red flowers that hung everywhere. Over the windowsill. A light above provided any light the ally would need. The ground was dark, and had a brick effect. Like if you were walking in a dudgeon. The door was black, and you didn't hear a sound.

Finally, I got out of the car, as the rain continued to drench me. Peter and Al went first, and opened the door. It was a small room, but very nice. There was a bed, and chairs, and a tiny stove.

"It's just for the night." Peter said bringing Charlette out of her daze.

She smiled "I think it's lovely." She said

They closed the door, and everybody took a seat. Peter handed Charlette a bag. "There are extra clothes. You should change out of that before you catch cold." He said

She smiled "Thanks." She responded.

A couple minutes later I came back out dressed in a jeans type like pants, and a shirt. The thunder got louder and louder every time it hit. Peter made a small fire, and Al seemed to be looking at a map of some sort.

"Come here." Peter instructed

Charlette smiled as she walked over to him. She sat down next to him, and he put his arm around her.

"I'm sorry this isn't a castle." He said

She kissed him on the cheek. "Don't be. If it was, I would have never come." She said sweetly

He smiled. "You mean that?" He asked

She smiled "As long as you are there, then anywhere is a castle to me." She said.

"Awww..... that's so cute mommy." Elizabeth said

Charlette smiled. "I'm not done yet honey!" She said

"I'm glad your not done yet mommy, this story is interesting. Way better then those bed time story books." Elizabeth said smiling.

That got a chuckle out of her mother. "Well, I'm glad your liking it." She said

She smiled at her daughter, and then continued on with the story.

So, we were in this little house for the night. Your father and I snuggled close, and Al kept a good watch out. I could have never remembered being that happy. Al then turned on the radio to be informed about their situation.

"Breaking news. Princess Charlette Ann Jacobs was kidnapped today at her wedding. Her wedding was set for two p.m. today, but about fifteen minutes before, Princess Charlette went missing. Her fiancee Robert is offering a huge sum of money for her safe return." The man on the radio said

Peter hugged Charlette tighter. "If you want me to take you back, I'll understand." Peter said

"No way!" She yelled looking at him

He looked back and smiled, and she did the same. "This is were I want to be." She said

Al smiled at the two, and then turned off the radio. "Get some sleep you two, we have a big day tomorrow." Al said

Both nodded, and Charlette rested her head on Peter's chest, and fell fast asleep.

"Wow mommy, you were all over the news?" Elizabeth asked

She nodded "It's just because of the title." Charlette answered

"Did you get out ok?" Elizabeth asked

Her mother nodded, and went on with the story.

The next morning Al woke your father and I up very early. We cleaned up everything we used, and made sure not to leave a trace. I of course had to be given a new disguise. There was no way we would have gotten out of France if I stayed with my same identity.

We left our little ally way, and ended up at a dock. The only way for us to get out of France unnoticed, was if we went by boat.

"By boat?" Elizabeth asked

"Uh huh." She answered

We made our way back to where I once lived. Your father wanted to check in with his family, and say good-bye.

"Say good-bye?" Elizabeth asked again

"Yep." Her mother nodded

With me being a Princess, and everybody searching for me, we couldn't possibly stay in one place. So, your father had to say good-bye to his family.

Charlette pulled Peter to a halt. "Peter, are you sure you can just walk away from your life, and your family?" She asked concerned

He smiled "You are my life, and my family." He answered

She smiled and blushed at his answer. "Pe..te..rr..." She whined, but then got serious. "Peter, I'm serious. Your life isn't going to be normal. Your going to have to run all the time, watch your back, and the fear of being caught, and what could happen. Are you sure?" She asked again

He grabbed her shoulders, and looked in her eyes. "I'm sure that I love you. I'm sure that I want to spend the rest of my life with you. I'm sure that your happiness is the most important thing to me." He said

Charlette smiled again at his response, but this time silenced him with a kiss.

"I love you too." She answered back.

She grabbed his hand, and helped him say good-bye to the family he spent his whole life with. The approached the door, and knocked waiting for an answer. An older man answered the door, and Charlette put a smile on her face.

"Papa!" Peter smiled giving him a hug.

His father and him smiled as they gave hugs. "My son." He answered back.

Charlette watched the two, and then it faded when she knew this might be the last time they see each other. She didn't realize they had broken apart.

"And you must be the lovely Princess Charlette that has stolen my son's heart." He said smiling

Charlette smiled back. "That would be me."

"Come in." He gestured

She couldn't believe how nice his father was. If only she could have a father like him.

"Mr. Smith, I am so sorry. I love your son very much, and I don't want him to ever be in danger, or have to live a life on the run. He deserves better." She said sadly

Peter's father came up to her, and smiled. "My son deserves you. He loves you, and I can see why. You are very special Charlette. You make my son happy, you make me happy. I can only say thank you." He responded

She smiled as tears came to her eyes. "Thank you." She managed to say

He smiled "Just take care of my boy." He demanded

She smiled "I sure will." She responded

Peter butted in. "Papa, I found a place were we wont have to run. In the United States, Charlette can live there, and her title will mean nothing. Meaning that her father and any other country can't force her to come back if she doesn't want to. She would be considered a United States citizen." He said

"United States?" Charlette asked

He turned to her. "It's our best chance." He said responding

She smiled. "I always wanted to go there." She answered

"We have to go now father." He said

He smiled, and gave his son a hug. "Good-bye son, I love you." He said

Charlette once again had tears on her eyes. They broke apart, and his father came up to her. "Good-bye. It was nice meeting you. I hope we meet again someday in the future." He said

"Me too." She answered

They too broke apart, and her father waved them off. "Be happy." He said

"We will!" They both answered "Bye!" They both called

"He really just let you guys go?" Elizabeth asked

She nodded "Yes. I still wonder about that myself. Your father and I were only eighteen. But, your father said that his father said that when you found true love you grab on, and go were it takes you." She answered

Elizabeth began to yawn. It being late sleep was starting to take over.

"Don't worry sweetie, we are at the end. Just a little bit more." Her mother said catching the yawn.

"Ok mommy." She answered

Charlette saw her young daughter yawn more. She quickly went on with her story.

So, your father and I caught a boat to United States. Once we got there it was the prettiest thing I had ever seen. The grass was green, the trees were swaying, and people had smiles on there faces. I knew at that moment I would be happy forever.

"Peter, this place is gorgeous!" She yelled smiling

He turned to her and smiled. "No, your gorgeous!" He answered

She blushed, and slapped his hand. "Stop it." She said giggling.

We made our way to check in, and get citizenship. After hours and hours of questions and tests, we were granted United States citizenships.

"Did they say anything about you being a princess mommy?" Elizabeth asked

She nodded. "Well, yes. But because we were un the U.S. they couldn't do anything."

"Oh." She answered "So what did you and daddy do?" She asked

"Well.." She began

I always told myself that one day I would make my father pay for all the hurt he had caused me. So a week before Peter and I ran away, I went into his bank account, and stole all his money. I had hid it in a safe place. After Robert and I were to marry, I was going to run away. Your father found me first.

So I took the money with us. In United States I had a total of one million dollars. Much more then I expected. Your father and I bought a house. We both went to school, and college. He studied to be a doctor, and I studied to be a teacher. I just love kids.

Soon after we had gotten into college, your father and I had gotten married. It was the most beautiful day ever. I can remember it as if it was yesterday. I will never forget it.

"So you finally tied the knot?" She asked giggling.

Her mother smiled "Yes, we finally tied the knot." She answered back sarcastically.

Elizabeth smiled. "So what did you and daddy do next?" She smiled

Your father and I both graduated college. He got his degree in medicine, and I got mine in teaching. We moved to a bigger house. Two years later I was pleased to be informed that I was pregnant with a baby girl.

"Me? Me?" She said excited

"Yes, you." She said smiling

Word had gotten around that I was pregnant. Apparently when I was in college there was a boy that was obsessed with me. He did a little research on who I was, and found out that I was a former princess that went missing on her wedding day six years ago.

He hated your father because I married him. He somehow found out where my parents lived, and told them where I was living. Your father got word, and we had to move in order to remain left alone.

It was all over tv. I remember my father and my mother saying they would give a hefty reward for whoever found us. I was scared once again that the life I loved so much would be taken from me.

"Charlette I swear to you, that we will make it out ok. We have come to far, and have way to much to let it be taken away from us." He said to his wife.

"Peter, I'm scared." She said looking into his eyes.

He took her hand. "I swear to you Charlette that I will do everything to protect you and this baby. I love you way to much." He said looking into her eyes.

She smiled, and then placed a kiss on his lips. "I believe you." She answered back "I love you too." She said

For two long months your father and I went on the run. Finally we had, enough. We were going to just give up, and let them win. We were adults what could they do to us. We were about to turn ourselves in, when a older couple told us about a home they had off the coast of the United States.

They said they would sell it to us. That they knew what it was like to want to love, but have the odds against you. They pulled out a map, and showed us where it was located. Your father paid them good money.

"I still don' understand why you want to help." Peter asked the couple

"You don't need to. Just go. It's kept us safe, and it will for you too." The older man said

Peter looked at him so curious. "I feel as if I know you." He said

The man smiled "As do I." He responded "I know what it's like to be in love. Go where love takes you both." He said waving to them.

Peter looked at the man, and something hit his eyes. "Peter what is it?" Charlette asked

He shook his head. "Nothing. I just thought he was somebody that he's not." He said sadly

"Your father." She asked looking at him.

He smiled a sad smile up at her. "Yea." He said

"I'm sorry Peter." She said sadly putting her head down.

"Don't be. Don't ever." He said "We have to move, let's go." He said

The older couple looked back as Peter and Charlette boarded the small jet.

"Good-bye my son." The older man said as he walked off.

"Did you and daddy make it out ok?" Elizabeth asked

Charlette smiled "Yes, we did."

We had arrived, and to our surprise it was a castle. Just like the one I use to live in. A smile had reached both of our faces. We were safe, we still had each other, and we had a place that remained us of home.

Two months later I gave birth to my pride and joy. You. And that's it.

She said clapping her hands and smiling. Elizabeth smiled.

"Wow mommy, that was the best story I ever heard." Elizabeth said smiling

"By far." A voice said from the doorway.

"Daddy!" Elizabeth yelled

He smiled "Hey pumpkin." He said walking over. "Looks like I missed the rest of the story." He said sitting down next to his wife.

Elizabeth smiled "Yea daddy, where have you been?" She asked playfully mad.

He smiled "Sorry sweetie, I had a very important phone call."

She frowned, and then smiled "Well, ok." She answered

He smiled, and then Charlette smiled. They starred at each other for a moment. "You two are so cute." Elizabeth said breaking the gaze.

Peter and Charlette smiled. "Thanks pumpkin." He said smiling

"Ok, I have a few quick questions." She said to her parents.

"Shoot!" He answered

"Whatever happened to Al?" She said smiling

Peter and Charlette smiled at each other. "All we know, is he went to the place the made him the happiest." She answered

"What about your mommy and daddy. Did you ever see them again?" She asked

Charlette shook her head. "No sweetie. I don't ever even want to see them again."

Elizabeth smiled "Good, me neither." She said

Peter and Charlette smiled again. "Now, it's time for you to go to bed." Peter said tucking her in.

He placed a kiss on her forehead, and tucked in her.

"One more question." She answered

"Go ahead." He said smiling

"Why do you call me pumpkin?" She asked

Peter smiled at her, and then his wife. He looked back at his daughter.

"Because when your mother was pregnant with you all she wanted to eat was pumpkin pie." He said smiling

"Oh." Elizabeth said smiling

"Good night pumpkin." He said placing a kiss on her forehead.

"Good night daddy." She answered

It was Charlette's turn. "Good night sweetie. I love you." She said giving her a good night kiss.

"Good night mommy. Thank you for the story, and I'm glad you got your happy ending." She said yawning

Charlette smiled at her daughter. "Me too." She said smiling

Peter turned off the lights, and in moments there daughter was fast asleep. They watched her for a moment, and then left the room.

"She's great isn't she?" Charlette asked her husband.

"She's just like you." He said giving her a kiss.

"I love you...always" She kissed him "and.." she placed another kiss on his lips "Forever." She said kissing him deeply.

He smiled when they broke apart. "Ditto!" He smiled back, and kissed her again.

"Ahem!" Came a voice behind them.

Charlette looked at the person. "Niles! What is it?" She asked sweetly

He smiled "There is someone in your study waiting for your presence." He answered

She looked confused "Who?" She asked

"They wouldn't say. Just they it was urgent that you see them." He said

Charlette looked at her husband. "We shouldn't keep our guest waiting." He said smiling

He grabbed his wife's hand, and they made their way. She stopped right in front of Niles.

"Hold on a second." She said stopping

Peter backed away. Charlette hugged her butler. "Thank you...for everything." She said

"Not a problem miss." He said smiling

She smiled "It would be very nice if you told miss Elizabeth tomorrow who you really are." She said

He smiled "As you wish Princess Charlette." He said

"Good night Al." She said taking her husbands hand, and started to walk away.

"Good night Charlette." He said as he too walked away.

Peter and Charlette walked into the study. He opened the door, and let her walk in first. As she saw who the person was, she almost fainted.

"Mom?" She asked confused

"Yes." She answered with watery eyes.

Charlette wanted to run to her, but everything her mother had done to her flashed before her eyes. She cleared her throat, and went into protective mode.

"What are you doing here? How did you find us?" She asked angry

The mother nodded at her, and put her head down. She knew it wasn't going to be easy.

"I need to tell you something." She said answering her question.

Peter moved closer to his wife. Instantly wanting to protect her from anything her mother had planned.

"I don't want to hear what you have to say." She answered back cold

Her mother nodded. "Please Charlette, if not for you, then for Peter and Elizabeth." Her mother responded

Charlette's eyes narrowed at her mother. "How do you know about Peter and Elizabeth?" She asked angry

"Please, just let me explain." She said again.

Charlette looked at her husband. He nodded at his wife. Charlette looked back at her mother. She hasn't seen her in over twenty years.

"All right." She answered

Peter and Charlette took a seat, as well did her mother. The mother looked at her daughter will longing eyes. Tears came to her eyes. Charlette saw the look, and wanted to reach out and hug her mother, but she just couldn't get pass the pain she had caused her and Peter.

"Tell me what you came for." Charlette demanded

The mother nodded. "I know your wondering what I'm doing here, and how I know about Peter and Elizabeth. I'll get to that. But, first I want to get to what happened twenty years ago. Why I was the way I was, and why I treated you the way I did." She began

Charlette looked at her. " You can try." She spat out

The mother nodded, and then looked up at the two. "I was there the day you two met." She said

Charlette and Peter both looked at her. "What?" They asked shocked

She nodded "Yes. I saw you jump into the river. I saw you Peter go in and save my daughter. I also saw the way you two looked at each other. I knew from that moment you two were going to love each other for the rest of your lives, and I knew that it was only going to cause a lot of trouble." She said

Charlette looked at her mother. "What do you mean?" She asked

Her mother smiled sadly. "Charlette dear, I never told you something that happened to me when I was your age. Something that to this day, and everyday I will never ever forget." She answered

"What?" Charlette asked more eager.

She nodded, and took a breath. "A long time ago, when I was your age I had met a boy. I would everyday walk along a path to school. One day I met a boy. A handsome boy. He was everything I ever wanted. Caring, sweet, nice. He was like you Peter." She said pointing to Peter. "Anyway, I fell in love with him. As he fell in love with me. I needed him. I would have died for him. He was all I ever wanted." She said

Charlette and Peter listened eagerly

"Anyway, my father had found our about us. He told me that if I didn't end it, he would. This boy was the only thing that mattered to me. My parents were horrible to me, and he was my life line." She said

"Funny how you and father turned out the same way." Charlette added in.

Her mother nodded. "Yes, well, I was to stubborn to end it. I didn't want to. I needed him. So I ran away with him. For two years we would run and hide. One day we got careless, and somebody spotted us." She paused "My father found us, and took us back home. He yelled at me, and locked him in a cell. I cried and cried. What I heard next would haunt me for the rest of my life." She said getting tears in her eyes.

Charlette began to crumble at her mother's words.

"My father had killed him. He murdered the only man I ever loved because I was selfish. Because I didn't want to let him go. For that I would never forgive myself." She paused clearing tears. "My father had me marry your father two days later."
She said sadly

Charlette and Peter both looked at her with a bit of sadness.

"Mom, I never knew. I'm...so.. sorry." She said

"I never wanted to hurt you Charlette, I only wanted what was best for you. I didn't want you to have the same hurt, or make the same choices. I knew Peter meant everything to you. I just didn't want you to spend the rest of your life feeling guilty. Please, please understand." She said crying

Charlette got up and went to her mother. "Mom, it's ok. I understand. I do." She said hugging her.

"You do?" She asked shocked

Charlette smiled "Yea, I kinda do." She said

They hugged. Afterwards they broke apart. "Did dad know?" Charlette asked

Her mother shook her head. "No, he didn't. I never told him. And he would never know. I saw you and Peter leave on your wedding day. I knew he would make you happy. So, I sent men out to watch you, and protect you. I wanted you to have the life you deserved. That's how I know about Elizabeth." She said looking at her.

Charlette smiled at her mother. She didn't even know what to say. Her mother turned out to be somebody she wasn't.

"Charlette honey, I have some news." She said

Charlette came out of her thoughts. "What?" She asked her mother

"Your father died two weeks ago." She said

Charlette put her head down. Even though she hated her father, and what he did a part of her still loved him. The little girl that remembers the father she loved is crying inside. She didn't know how to respond.

"Dad's dead?" She asked

Her mother nodded. "Yes! So, you see your all I have left." She said crying

Charlette looked at her husband. He nodded and smiled.

"Mother, if it is ok with you, I'm sure Elizabeth would love to meet her grandmother." She said smiling

Her mother looked up. "You really mean it?" She asked

She smiled "Yes. After all, it was you who told me that with everyday comes a new start." She said smiling

In the middle of the room they hugged. Charlette somewhat had her family back again.

So now the story is over
Fairytale and all
For all the love and the laughter
This family lived happily ever after!

THE END

Love ya,

Lauren :angelic:

P.s. I hope you all enjoyed the story!

ohhh awww i loved it. but wouldn't Niles/Al know who charlette's mother is since he was their old butler right? :thinking: but it was great. Loved it :D
--mandy :angelic:

He would, but if he wanted Charlette to talk to her, she would have never if he said your mother is waiting to see you.

You know what I mean?

Plus I tried to keep it suspensful.

Thanks for your kind words. Your so sweet.

Love ya,

Lauren :angelic:

Back