Season 3 A terrible editing mistake by Alias!

ivand67

Sydney's Lover
I actually had noticed this a long time ago when the episode aired (I started this topic on February 11th, 2004 and this episode aired months ago), but I can't possibly understand why this happened on this episode.

Alias producers actually let Jennifer Garner's double's face appear on the screen 3 times on the episode. The first time was when Lauren threw Sydney onto the wall during her "dream". The second time was when the OTHER Sydney in the dream (not the double) threw Sydney to the wall, and the third time was when the good Sydney (dressed in white), did a backflip to get away from the bad Sydney and ultimately kill the bad Sydney (the one in black!!).

I have seen this a few times now and there is no other explanation, and the fact is that it is a terrible mistake that should not be repeated.

(n) (n) (n)

3 thumbs down for this one!

Thoughts???

I think that sometimes, in the editing process, it's a matter of sacrificing the integrity of a scene to get a risky, "high-flying" move into the fight. I think they do their best in editing, but sometimes it just can't be helped. Plus, it's not like the viewers don't know that Jennifer Garner has a body double.

When Buffy the Vampire Slayer was still on the air, I admired the fact that they blatantly showed the stunt doubles. They accepted that everyone knew that Sarah Michelle Gellar, David Boreanez, James Marsters, etc. were not doing ALL the stunts their characters had.

Alias is the same way, I think. I mean, we're aware this is a TV show. So why not, to make Sydney's dream a little more dreamlike, throw in some crazy moves that probably wouldn't be too believable in her real life (although her real life is kinda wacky)?

I think that the people editing Alias do the best they can and we shouldn't blame them or scold them too much. Though, since I can't recall seeing the same thing you do (probably 'cause I was trying to explain the episode to my roomies... they're not to quick), it may have been blatantly awful editing.

kidblink83 said:
When Buffy the Vampire Slayer was still on the air, I admired the fact that they blatantly showed the stunt doubles. They accepted that everyone knew that Sarah Michelle Gellar, David Boreanez, James Marsters, etc. were not doing ALL the stunts their characters had.
No kidding. I remember with Buffy, there was some trouble with SMG trying to pretend that she did all her stunts or something or it appearing like she did--with the result that the stuntwoman getting fired. After that for a couple of seasons the fights weren't nearly as good!! Then something happened and they had some terrific ones for the final season again (my guess: they hired someone new). It makes all the difference, and I don't really care that you can tell (and with Buffy, you really could because SMG is so very petite and fragile--no stuntwoman really looks like that; at least Ms Garner can do some real stunts herself). Usually, you have to be paying close attention to tell the difference in an action scene (you're paying attention to the action), and that's where the stunt double shows up, anyway.
;)

I hate it when Alias is compared to Buffy. That show is juvenile and all about sci-fi. Which is OK and it's great if you like it... but please. Alias is a CIA show. People here don't turn into warewolves or aliens or any of that sci-fi stuff.

I really, really hate it when Alias is compared to Buffy. Buffy puffy sophie coffee tofie. I wanna puke now!!!!!!!!!!!

kidblink83 said:
I think that sometimes, in the editing process, it's a matter of sacrificing the integrity of a scene to get a risky, "high-flying" move into the fight. I think they do their best in editing, but sometimes it just can't be helped. Plus, it's not like the viewers don't know that Jennifer Garner has a body double.

Alias is the same way, I think. I mean, we're aware this is a TV show. So why not, to make Sydney's dream a little more dreamlike, throw in some crazy moves that probably wouldn't be too believable in her real life (although her real life is kinda wacky)?

I think that the people editing Alias do the best they can and we shouldn't blame them or scold them too much. Though, since I can't recall seeing the same thing you do (probably 'cause I was trying to explain the episode to my roomies... they're not to quick), it may have been blatantly awful editing.
I don't think anyone likes that. The scenes lose credibility and I'm sure this has NEVER been done on purpose!

ivand67 said:
I hate it when Alias is compared to Buffy. That show is juvenile and all about sci-fi. Which is OK and it's great if you like it... but please. Alias is a CIA show. People here don't turn into warewolves or aliens or any of that sci-fi stuff.

I really, really hate it when Alias is compared to Buffy. Buffy puffy sophie coffee tofie. I wanna puke now!!!!!!!!!!!
Calling Buffy juvenile just proves that you have no idea what the show is really about and the fact that you labelled it sci-fi, when it is clearly fantasy shows that you are not really that clued up on your genres. In fact due to the Rambaldi link in Alias, JJ Abrams himself has said that it has become a little sci-fi/fantasy.

There are several reasons that people compare Alias to Buffy, the most obvious being the fact that the leads are strong, passionate women who have to overcome all manners of obstacles that their double lives throw at them and also that the exterior of both shows, the action (spy stuff in the case of alias and slaying in the case of Buffy), is used as a means to show the real drama of the stories in both and the heartache that both leads have to go through.
Shows that have similarities will always spawn comparisons. ;)

Back