ABC finally announces Alias' return

Alias News

Official News Poster
From zap2it:

ABC Schedules 'Alias' Endgame
'What About Brian' delayed, 'Hope & Faith' moving
February 28 2006

The countdown to the end of "Alias" can now officially begin.

ABC said Tuesday (Feb. 28) that the high-octane spy drama, which has been on hiatus to allow for star Jennifer Garner's maternity leave and to make room for "Dancing with the Stars," will begin its final run of episodes with a two-hour show at 8 p.m. ET Wednesday, April 19. That's a change from earlier in the season, when the show aired on Thursdays.

The network also announced a few more schedule changes, including a delay in the premiere of "What About Brian," the return of "Hope & Faith" and "Invasion" and the scheduling of its miniseries "The Ten Commandments."

"Alias," which last aired in December, was originally scheduled to return in March, after "Dancing with the Stars" ended its season. As ABC rolled out its midesason schedule, though, the show was left hanging.

The later return date also likely means that the series will have fewer than 22 episodes for its final season. ABC does, however, promise that the final episodes will reveal
the final stages of the Rambaldi prophecy and feature the return of Bradley Cooper as Will Tippin and Gina Torres as Anna Espinosa -- not to mention the reappearance of the presumed-dead Vaughn (Michael Vartan) and the birth of his and Sydney's (Garner) baby.

"Alias" will take the place of comedies "George Lopez" and "Freddie" on the Wednesday schedule; those shows will end their seasons a little early. "Invasion," which will get a four-week break for "The Evidence" starting March 22, will also return on April 19.

The network's update of "The Ten Commandments," starring Dougray Scott (NBC's "Heist") as Moses, will air April 10 and 11 -- a few days before Easter and the start of Passover. The miniseries also features "Lost" star Naveen Andrews, "Alias'" Mia Maestro and Omar Sharif ("Doctor Zhivago").

With "The Ten Commandments" scheduled for Easter week, ABC has moved the debut of "What About Brian" back two weeks. It was originally scheduled to premiere Sunday, April 2 and move to its regular Monday home the next night. Rather than pre-empt it for the miniseries, the network decided to hold back; "Brian" will now premiere Sunday, April 16 and take over the 10 p.m. Monday spot on the 17th.

Finally, "Hope & Faith" will make the move to Tuesday nights starting March 21. It will replace "Rodney" at 8:30 p.m.

YAY!! :woot:

I read all of this on AliasMedia.com, and I read some comments, too.

Something I don't understand: Since there are only going to be 17 episodes to wrap up Alias, why are some people saying "I hope the rest of the episodes are on the DVD's"? Why would there be 5 more episodes on the DVD's if the show already has a finale in May? Am I the only one that is confused by their comments?

I also heard that the Alias Series Finale ( :( ) is going to be on at the same time as the American Idol season finale. Is this true?

Anyway, this is exciting news for me, and probably for lots of other people, too.

Alias is side-by-side with Lost again! YAY!!

finally! sheesh, its much easier to wait for somehting when it;s actually schedualed than waiting for it to say how long your waiting.

i dont want a shortened season!! cant they just run it through the summer?

Something I don't understand: Since there are only going to be 17 episodes to wrap up Alias, why are some people saying "I hope the rest of the episodes are on the DVD's"? Why would there be 5 more episodes on the DVD's if the show already has a finale in May? Am I the only one that is confused by their comments?
They are probably assuming that 22 episodes/hours will be filmed, which is almost certainly not going to happen in this case. They are thinking of series in which they already had 13 or so episodes "in the can" and only showed, say, 6 or 8, then offered all of them on DVD (I'm thinking Wonderfalls, Firefly). However, in this case, they haven't yet completed the season (in fact, the scripts haven't been written yet), so the episodes haven't been created, they won't be filmed and therefore won't exist to be put on DVD. Make sense? ;)

I'm sad that it's a shortened season, but I'm glad that it's going to be on the same night as Lost and Invasion. Three of my favorite shows all on the same night! I can't wait till Alias comes back! :woot:

I don't want a shortened season, we need the full episode amount because after all this is the last season. Well, none the less at least 'Alias' is back on versus not showing it all. :smiley: I'm glad to know the air date for resuming Season 5. I'm so excited though!!! :D

Good news from ABC ... the monkey's are thinking ...

from Zap2it.com

ABC Doubles Up in May

'Lost,' 'Grey's' among several shows getting two-hour finales

LOS ANGELES -- Chances are any ABC show you're currently watching will be going long when they end their seasons in May.

The network said Tuesday that the season finales for each of its three most popular scripted series -- "Lost," "Desperate Housewives" and "Grey's Anatomy" -- will run two hours. So will the season ender for "Boston Legal." And "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" and "America's Funniest Home Videos."

And the series finale of "Alias"? Yep, two hours. There will be a couple of regular-length finales as well, for "What About Brian" and "Invasion."

As for what actually will happen during those extra-long episodes, we don't know. ABC is thus far keeping quiet on the season-ending details for all the aforementioned shows.

All those extra hours means ABC will have to play around with its schedule some during May sweeps. "Brian" will end its season Monday, May 8 after just five episodes to make way for the "Grey's Anatomy" finale, the first of the two-hour extravaganzas. It will air over two nights: Sunday, May 14 and Monday, May 15. "Boston Legal" will end its season the next night.

On Sunday, May 21, "Home Edition" and "Desperate Housewives" will both finish their seasons in extended fashion, with the former airing at 7 p.m. ET and the latter at 9. The fun continues May 22, when "Alias" will finish its five-year run on the network -- a switch from the Wednesday timeslot it will occupy on its return to the schedule next month.

The move to Monday for "Alias" gets it out of the way of "American Idol's" final week and also makes room for "Lost" to finish the year with two hours' worth of mystery on Wednesday, May 24. "Lost" also had a two-hour finale last spring.

The "America's Funniest Home Videos" season-ender on Friday, May 19, will also celebrate the show's status as the longest-running entertainment program in ABC history. It premiered in 1990. "Invasion" will end its season Wednesday, May 17.

ABC also says that the long-gestating movie "Stephen King's Desperation" will air Thursday, May 18.

:woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot:

To whom it may concern,

All the switching around to accomodate just about every other show totally confused me. I missed most of this season's shows due to different hours and nights programming. It seems that Alias wasn't on for the longest time at one point. Anyway, I missed the April 19th one and worse of it all...the SEASON FINALE!!!!!! I wished they could replay them.

Sad, sad Weezie :(

Back