ABC has best new hourlong dramas of fall

Lost News

Official News Poster
ABC has best new hourlong dramas of fall

DOUGLAS DURDEN
Richmond Times-Dispatch

I don't say this very often, but here goes.

ABC has the best new shows of the season. Let me quickly be more specific in case you think I'm praising "Complete Savages," which I'm not.

ABC has the best new hourlong dramas of the fall: "Desperate Housewives" and "Lost."

The first is an imaginative take on suburbia and not your typical prime-time soap. The second is a rip-roaring adventure series, judging by its pilot episode.

ABC's fortunes are so down at the moment, it's difficult to remember that this is the network responsible for some of TV's most daring, memorable and sometimes short-lived TV series, from "Twin Peaks" to "thirtysomething."

Desperate for something to attract audiences, ABC has gotten creative again.

The same can't be said about ABC's comedies. Like all other networks, it has forgotten how to put together an original comedy.

The article later goes on to say

"Lost" (8 p.m., Sept. 22). A gigantic plane crash on a remote Pacific island. Marooned passengers with secrets. Handsome Matthew Fox ("Party of Five") as a take-charge doctor; a "Lord of the Rings" regular (Dominic Monaghan) as a coked-up rock star who's not much help. It can't get better than this; wait, it just did. There's something else on the island - something really big and noisy that kills polar bears. Polar bears? J. J. Abrams ("Alias") has fashioned an exciting pilot enhanced by filming in Hawaii. But he's also created something of a problem: Can subsequent episodes live up to the premiere?

Read Full Article

Back