ABC ready to cash in on homegrown megahits

Lost News

Official News Poster
ABC ready to cash in on homegrown megahits 'Housewives,' 'Lost'
By GARY GENTILE
Associated Press
2/19/2005

(Mentions Lost, Alias, and JJ Abrams)

The Walt Disney Co. bought ABC so it could profit from both making and broadcasting the network's hits.

Nine years later, the deal is finally paying off.

After a long run of modest hits and disappointing flops, ABC stands to make hundreds of millions of dollars on advertising, syndication and DVD revenue from "Desperate Housewives" and "Lost," two of this season's top-rated programs. The shows are the work of Touchstone Television, Disney's TV studio, and are its first hits since "Home Improvement" in 1991.

Disney and other media giants have been hungry for such homegrown megahits since the government lifted regulations a decade ago that kept networks from owning the programs they broadcast. Under the old rule, shows were produced and owned by studios that licensed them to networks; studios collected money from the licensing fees and in some cases syndication, while networks kept revenue from advertising.

The change helped networks boost their earnings and triggered a rush of consolidation with the Hollywood studios that make TV programs. It was a major reason behind the merger last year of NBC and Universal, which makes the network's popular "Law and Order" shows. It also led Disney to buy Capital Cities/ABC in 1996.

"The media companies have wanted this all along," said Paul Kim, an analyst with Tradition Asiel Securities.

Independent TV producers have complained that the change would make it nearly impossible for them to compete with the major studios. But media companies including Disney said the consolidation was necessary given the rising costs of making shows.

Like many entertainment companies, Disney had long been in the business of producing TV programs, including past hits such as "Ellen" and "The Golden Girls."

Now, with Touchstone producing most of ABC's new shows, Disney said it stands to make nearly $1 billion from its two new hits along with the Jennifer Garner spy drama "Alias" and soon-to-be syndicated sitcoms such as "According to Jim" and "My Wife and Kids."

The success was a long time coming for Touchstone, which has stumbled with ratings flops such as the 2001 Jason Alexander vehicle "Bob Patterson."

"You have to remember, when the consolidation of ABC Primetime and Touchstone occurred, it in essence became almost a startup company," said Mark Pedowitz, president of Touchstone. "We were starting from scratch. The inventory was old inventory."

Touchstone has had some success in the past few years, producing "Scrubs" for NBC and "Alias." But for the most part, it churned out dramas and comedies that just didn't catch fire with viewers.

It did famously develop the megahit "Crime Scene Investigation" only to see Disney sell its stake in the show after deciding it wasn't worth the financial risk. The franchise has since helped propel CBS to the top of the primetime ratings.

Touchstone's fortunes changed last fall with the debuts of "Desperate Housewives" and "Lost." The studio also produces "Kevin Hill," a modest ratings success on UPN.

"We've become hot," Pedowitz said. "We took chances and we'll still take chances. My point of view is, within some restraint, put it on the screen and let the viewer determine if it will work or not."

ABC decided to produce the primetime soap opera "Desperate Housewives" even after the concept was rejected by other networks.

"They had nothing to lose," said Harold Vogel, an analyst with Vogel Capital Management. "At the same time, competing shows begin to get tired."

But challenges remain for Touchstone, including keeping its new hits around long enough to reach syndication with at least 100 shows. And there's no guarantee that its other shows will automatically make it to ABC's schedule. With the network rebounding, outside producers are anxious to sell their shows to ABC.

"When you get this job, you get an immediate objectivity, which is, 'I want the best stuff,'" ABC Entertainment president Steve McPherson said. "We've got to be in business with everyone."

McPherson moved to ABC last year from Touchstone, where he helped develop this year's network hits.

Touchstone's success has led to a flurry of award nominations for its shows and a number of high-profile deals with writers and actors who want to develop shows for the studio. Recently, David James Elliott, star of the CBS show "JAG," said he would leave the show at the end of the season and develop new projects with ABC and Touchstone.

Pedowitz has gotten credit for aiding the turnaround. After handling business and legal affairs at Touchstone, he became head of the company last year.

"While the specifics of his job may have shifted, he's finding his footing," said J.J. Abrams, who created "Alias" and is co-creator of this year's hit show "Lost."
- via MickeyNews.com

While I'm glad the success of the shows is helping ABC and Touchstone, I'm sad to see the greedy behemoth Disney reap the rewards. The people making the profits should be the people actually making the shows - the writers, directors, casts, and crews. They're the ones who do the work. Disney execs just sit on their lazy asses and haul in the catch.

Maybe I should stay off the internet when I have PMS. ^_^

Isn't that what execs of every network or major business do...they sit at the top watching while they have all the little people do their bidding...don't go around saying that about Disney when I'd bet that it's not just Disney execs who do it.

Seanman2326 said:
Isn't that what execs of every network or major business do...they sit at the top watching while they have all the little people do their bidding...don't go around saying that about Disney when I'd bet that it's not just Disney execs who do it.
[post="1223548"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
Yeah, but I bet the heads of other corporations don't say that their shows suck, like Michael Eisner does. He recently told a writer, "Lost is terrible. Who cares about these people stuck on an island?" He didn't want Lost or Desperate Housewives, they saved his ass, and he still complains about them.

Azalea said:
Yeah, but I bet the heads of other corporations don't say that their shows suck, like Michael Eisner does.  He recently told a writer, "Lost is terrible.  Who cares about these people stuck on an island?"  He didn't want Lost or Desperate Housewives, they saved his ass, and he still complains about them.
[post="1224860"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

exactly ... I just guess his ass should be fired ... come on ... he is such a dumb-ass ... the worst part is that even though the success of the shows, he hasn't said anything good about it or changed the way he thinks ... 👎

I dont care what happens, i'm just happy that i finally have my answer... that Alias is doing great!!!! YES!!!!!! i think that Alias should go for ever! like Friends! 10 years baby! I think alias will go for a long time, cuz i was reading somewhere that the prez of ABC likes the show and says "this WONT be the last season"!!!

Geesh one sucky television network president! He actually cares about if the shows are good or not! Ha! That's laughable

[/sarcasm]

But seriously, when did execs start caring it the show was good or not! I mean, it must be a new change because they did have "Are you Hot?"

Azalea said:
Yeah, but I bet the heads of other corporations don't say that their shows suck, like Michael Eisner does.  He recently told a writer, "Lost is terrible.  Who cares about these people stuck on an island?"  He didn't want Lost or Desperate Housewives, they saved his ass, and he still complains about them.
[post="1224860"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
He said that before it came out . . . I bet now he'd say he thought it was brilliant all along. That's why he was trying to keep the book from coming out. He doesn't want to look stupid, and he's going to. -_-

verdantheart said:
He said that before it came out . . . I bet now he'd say he thought it was brilliant all along. That's why he was trying to keep the book from coming out. He doesn't want to look stupid, and he's going to.  -_-
[post="1227602"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

What book?

UncoveringAlias said:
What book?
[post="1227974"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
DisneyWar:

'DisneyWar' in Preemptive Strike
Publisher Simon & Schuster has rushed out copies of James Stewart's DisneyWar: The Battle for the Magic Kingdom, crossing out their official March 7 release date. The Orlando Sun-Sentinel reported Tuesday that the publishing company was acting to get copies of the books into stores after articles disclosing details of the book appeared in the newspaper and the Los Angeles Times. The initial printing was said to be 200,000. Meanwhile, Stewart, in his regular column for Smart Money, wrote Tuesday that it was time for Disney to name a successor to Michael Eisner and for Eisner to make a complete break from the company. "Disney needs a leader who can reignite the creative spirit at the heart of the company, respect and encourage the often difficult personalities who create hit entertainment products, unite the warring factions of the company, and placate institutional investors and business partners," Stewart wrote. "It needs to be someone who can be an effective partner to people like Steve Jobs at Pixar and Harvey Weinstein at Miramax, and who doesn't feel threatened by them or by people who succeed within Disney's executive ranks." That person, Stewart added, should not be Disney President Robert Iger "given his close association with Eisner."
(imdb)

Really, I think they need to name a new CEO in time to forge a new deal with Pixar--flushing a deal like that is just stupid. If they think they can produce sequels to Pixar movies and we can't tell the difference, they're dreaming. -_-

verdantheart said:
DisneyWar:
(imdb)

Really, I think they need to name a new CEO in time to forge a new deal with Pixar--flushing a deal like that is just stupid. If they think they can produce sequels to Pixar movies and we can't tell the difference, they're dreaming.  -_-
[post="1228720"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Good point. Pixar is so amazing. If you think about it, they really have not had any flops. Partially because they can't afford to. That's like 1/2 a decade down the drain. And Pixar really is what makes Disney their money in films, or at least a substantial amount of it.

Back