ABC to End 'Alias' Run in May 2006

While I realize the first two seasons (season story arcs) made things difficult to attract new viewers, and the writing teams have tried many different ways to attract new viewers, I sincerely believe that ABC has done the most damage to the series by continually bumping it in favor of every award show or variety hour special that happened to be available (when it was on Sunday nights), then finally giving it a chance by putting it after Lost only to take that time-slot away again. It's weak that ABC wouldn't support a show that helped keep it afloat during it's rough times. But, then ABC doesn't treat just Alias poorly, they treat many of their great shows poorly... like threatening to make Lost film in LA to save $500k/ep... like bumping the last 7 episodes of Boston Legal last season to accomodate Grey's Anatomy... like thinking Desperate Housewives is actually more of a long-haul show than a passing fad that has already begun to fade...

The sad thing is that I know there are Alias fans out there who just don't know it... sooo many people I've talked to have never even heard of it (probably because of all the "dial-dancing" that ABC put it through). I've lent those people my box sets and they ALL come back major fans... like watching 22 episodes straight, in one sitting, fanatic-type fans... asking to borrow the next season, dissapointed when they run out of DVD's to borrow at the end of season 4. That said, obviously ABC's marketing of the show was hugely ineffective. The promos for the pilot and the Superbowl ad before Phase One were the strongest the marketing has ever been for this show... which was great for those episodes, but wasn't really enough to get the ball rolling (plus the fact that Phase One was on WAY later than usual, well after the game was over. Why wouldn't you have aired that episode (my #2 favorite, right behind the pilot) on the following Sunday, since you're in the habit of pre-empting anyways, instead of airing it for a primarily half-drunk, either celebritory or depressed audience after 10 at night on a Sunday! (Ok, so that was a bit of a rant... sorry about that...)
JJ was/is under contract with Touchstone TV/ABC to develop series for them. Alias, Lost, and soon 'The Catch' (not to mention M:I3). I think he's simply spread too thin. I have some significant hopes that 'The Catch' will be a hit. I'll miss Alias though... I loved it from episode one.

I also think Nichols and Getty could have made for good TV, with guest spots from Garner, but as was stated before, the show is not about the CIA -- it's about a father and daughter... and with the daughter part missing, it becomes an entirely different show.

JJ is a brilliant guy who's plugged into what makes for interesting TV. Hopefully, M:I3 pans out for him, and he gets to do some bigger movies too, but I don't want him to leave TV behind. He gives us reliably great shows time and again.

I'm sad to see Alias go. I'm more connected to the show than most ;) , and while I will miss these characters, I'll continue to support the cast wherever they may go... and JJ will always have at least one audience member in me to watch his latest creation, whether I have to chase it around the ABC schedule or not!

--<O>--

You are very right! I have been anti-"Desperate Whores" since it took over Alias timeslot...but it is interesting to know that some cast members of "Lost" are very outspoken about all the attention that the hooches on "Desperate Whores" get from ABC! That is just what I have been saying about ABC all along,yeah it is buissness...but it is dirty buissness!

I want just two things from the end of Alias:
1.Get the story back to Syd and Jack....before there was Syd and Vaughn chemistry there was Syd and Jack chemistry!
We have had so very few Syd and Jack ,father/daughter moments....they're relationship has improved quite a bit over the years but they still have so much to work out. I frankly have always craved more scenes with these two then with her and MV. And I have always thought that the show started with Jack and Syd and the lack of bond there and it got pushed to the background for her romance with Vaughn.
But who wants to see a daughter with her old man all the time,I guess just me...but these two were always more interesting and dynamic!
So we need to see more repair spent on they're relationship!

2. My god give Syd an happy ending.Yeah the baby will be a wonderful thing for her but if that means bring a dead Vaughn back,then do that...just to focus all on him! There are more interesting actors on the show that should be seen more!

I just hope that they deliver with an AMAZING series finale. This show has been SO good for five yrs so it deserves to go out with a bang. Also, I think that MV should be back for the finale-- he has been such an integral part of the show for all of these years and it doesnt seem right to end it without bringing him back. Its what the fans want (i think-- at least i want it) and since its ending i think that JJ & company need to do what the fans want. Its only right since we have been so dedicated to this GREAT show. Well, I am still in shock/denial even though we saw it coming, and its going to be a sad day when my all time favorite show has to come to an end (n)

I agree about slamming ABC for messing things up with Alias - it's obvious that they don't know a good thing when they have it :angry: (even money says the ABC execs have been getting their lessons in programming from Fox, the network of fad shows and "reality" TV).

All I can say is - thanks a lot, ABC and "Trashy Housewives" for ruining a good thing. :angry:

I heard from JJ in an article that he won't be able to be involved in the series finale because of M:I-3. What a f**king a**hole.

I wouldn't count JJ out just yet! Now that this is it....maybe JJ can persuaded to get off Tom Cruises ego trip to take care of Alias! Thats it TC doesn't pitch a fit!

I heard from JJ in an article that he won't be able to be involved in the series finale because of M:I-3. What a f**king a**hole.

I wouldn't count JJ out just yet! Now that this is it....maybe JJ can persuaded to get off Tom Cruises ego trip to take care of Alias! Thats it TC doesn't pitch a fit!

OMG..... I haven't been on hardly at all this week due to work -- sign on today to this announcement slapped in my face.... wow..... even though we all felt it coming, it's still a shock and it makes me sad.... Alias has been such an amazing show and I have watched it through the good and the bad. And it's my hope that Alias ends in a way that make me remember why this show captivated me unlike any other....

i , as with others am extremely saddened by this news, everything comes to an end but i just cant believe something this good isnt getting the ratings it deserves to sustain its future.
i will miss it....... but i still have the dvd series. lol
i hope the end is the best alias ever. sniff,sniff,sniff.

*lots of tears* I had to come her to read it for my self! I cant belive the show I feel in love freshman year is ending. Its not bad enoght that I lost most of my high school friends this summer but now I have to lose one of the things that keeps me real!!! :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(
syd
(n)

OH MY GOSH!!!!!!! I can't believe that this is the last season for Alias. I have stuck with it through thick and thin. I have seen every episode, like other people. It is an amazing show. I LOVE IT SO MUCH. I want it to never end, but I guess all good things must come to an end sometime.

OH MY GOSH!!!!!!! I can't believe that this is the last season for Alias. I have stuck with it through thick and thin. I have seen every episode, like other people. It is an amazing show. I LOVE IT SO MUCH. I want it to never end, but I guess all good things must come to an end sometime.

Is anyone else just so bummed out? Out of all the shows that really blow it had to be this one to get sacked. People at school know me as Alias girl. Im going to temple in the fall and most of my art work is related to the show. That's how I got in. What in the world was ABC thinking when they put Alias on thursdays instead of wednsday?! They knew that was a bad idea because of Surviver. Bring back the old! Thats why their ratings have gone way down. People started to lose interest when Nadia, Eric Weiss, Irina, VAUGHN, and you know what i admit i have been alittle skeptical about watching the new ones but i do it anyway. Sark is coming back. Thats good it maked people want to watch it. There is just so many people they can bring back to liven up the show. Is that all JJ has? C'mon man! Lauren for one. I would watch it if that witch came back. No one ever really dies in alias. Vaughn's coming back but probably just a vision or dream. Sorry I keep talking but Alias for me has been non stop running around i spent hundreds on merchandise. Books, posters, you name it i have it. See my room? Ill have to put up picks but it was in my school news paper. You can't even see my wall. It's completey (ceiling too) covered in Vaughn, Sydney, everyone. My one wall is all JG. What can I say? I obsessed. Well, hope to talk to you all. We'll see what happens. :angry: :( (n)

While I realize the first two seasons (season story arcs) made things difficult to attract new viewers, and the writing teams have tried many different ways to attract new viewers, I sincerely believe that ABC has done the most damage to the series by continually bumping it in favor of every award show or variety hour special that happened to be available (when it was on Sunday nights), then finally giving it a chance by putting it after Lost only to take that time-slot away again. It's weak that ABC wouldn't support a show that helped keep it afloat during it's rough times. But, then ABC doesn't treat just Alias poorly, they treat many of their great shows poorly... like threatening to make Lost film in LA to save $500k/ep... like bumping the last 7 episodes of Boston Legal last season to accomodate Grey's Anatomy... like thinking Desperate Housewives is actually more of a long-haul show than a passing fad that has already begun to fade...

The sad thing is that I know there are Alias fans out there who just don't know it... sooo many people I've talked to have never even heard of it (probably because of all the "dial-dancing" that ABC put it through). I've lent those people my box sets and they ALL come back major fans... like watching 22 episodes straight, in one sitting, fanatic-type fans... asking to borrow the next season, dissapointed when they run out of DVD's to borrow at the end of season 4. That said, obviously ABC's marketing of the show was hugely ineffective. The promos for the pilot and the Superbowl ad before Phase One were the strongest the marketing has ever been for this show... which was great for those episodes, but wasn't really enough to get the ball rolling (plus the fact that Phase One was on WAY later than usual, well after the game was over. Why wouldn't you have aired that episode (my #2 favorite, right behind the pilot) on the following Sunday, since you're in the habit of pre-empting anyways, instead of airing it for a primarily half-drunk, either celebritory or depressed audience after 10 at night on a Sunday! (Ok, so that was a bit of a rant... sorry about that...)
JJ was/is under contract with Touchstone TV/ABC to develop series for them. Alias, Lost, and soon 'The Catch' (not to mention M:I3). I think he's simply spread too thin. I have some significant hopes that 'The Catch' will be a hit. I'll miss Alias though... I loved it from episode one.

I also think Nichols and Getty could have made for good TV, with guest spots from Garner, but as was stated before, the show is not about the CIA -- it's about a father and daughter... and with the daughter part missing, it becomes an entirely different show.

JJ is a brilliant guy who's plugged into what makes for interesting TV. Hopefully, M:I3 pans out for him, and he gets to do some bigger movies too, but I don't want him to leave TV behind. He gives us reliably great shows time and again.

I'm sad to see Alias go. I'm more connected to the show than most ;) , and while I will miss these characters, I'll continue to support the cast wherever they may go... and JJ will always have at least one audience member in me to watch his latest creation, whether I have to chase it around the ABC schedule or not!

--<O>--

That's exactly how I feel about the situation. The format change from the first two series is what caused Alias to just become another TV show, rather than the "must see TV" it was branded as with Seasons 1 & 2. You summed it up perfectly. ABC should have just left it how it was, and the show would probably still be going strong, rather than disgruntled fans saying their good-byes.

This is so not cool! :angry: I opened my e-mail last night and found out about it and flipped. First, I started to cry, then I went upstairs to my room and cherished (spelling?) all of my 'Alias' things. I just knew it was going to happen. First, Vaughn now ALIAS? So now what am I supposed to do on my Thursday nights? Watch re-runs and throw bowls off popcorn at the t.v. for something that was totally not true? Anyway, this was a truly wonderful show and I've been a fan since the first episode. Thank you J.J. Abrams for all the fun and excitement, but make this last season the best and kick some butt and make ABC wish they hadn't cancelled this show! Bye 'Alias'! :bye: :byesad: :depressed:

I am very sad. I'm enjoying Lost and Prison Break, so at least there will be that show to look forward to every week. Still nothing like ALIAS. On the other hand, I am glad that they are choosing to end it while they can write in a great finale instead of having it cancelled at the end of a season. A five year run that keeps fans coming back every week for more and keeps the buzz going on the message is a great accomplishment! (y)

Back