ABC to End 'Alias' Run in May 2006

Alias News

Official News Poster
From TV Week

ABC has canceled its spy drama "Alias," according to an announcement Wednesday by Stephen McPherson, president of ABC Entertainment.
Story continues below...

The show, which stars Jennifer Garner as CIA agent Sydney Bristow, will end its five-season run in May 2006.

ABC already had scheduled a broadcast hiatus due to Ms. Garner's maternity leave. The network's summer reality hit "Dancing With the Stars" will return for a second cycle beginning Thursday, Jan. 5, at 8 p.m. (ET), airing in the time period "Alias" has occupied this season.

"Alias" is scheduled to return to the network's lineup with original episodes in the spring and finish out its run at the end of the TV season.

The series' producers vowed in the announcement to end the series in a way that honors all of the disparate elements of the show. Creator J.J. Abrams designed the show as a "spy adventure, family drama and love story that contained deeper mythological elements," executive producer Jeff Pinkner said in the announcement.

"We wrap up the story of Sydney Bristow in a surprising and, we think, thrilling way," Mr. Pinkner said.

"Alias" was created by Mr. Abrams, who executive produces the series along with Ken Olin, Mr. Pinkner, Jesse Alexander and Jeffrey Bell. The series, which is filmed in Los Angeles and premiered Sept. 30, 2001, is from Touchstone Television.

In addition to Ms. Garner, "Alias" stars Victor Garber as Jack Bristow, Ron Rifkin as Arvin Sloane, Carl Lumbly as Marcus Dixon, Kevin Weisman as Marshall Flinkman, Balthazar Getty as Thomas Grace, Rachel Nichols as Rachel Gibson and %C9;lodie Bouchez as Ren%E9;e Rienne.

"Alias" has received seven Emmy Awards, and Ms. Garner won a Golden Globe Award in 2002 for her leading role.

:cry: RIP Alias

this is a decision we have been waiting for ... and even though its a sad decision for us "Alias"-fans ... I must say I have been faithful to the show, and have stuck around for better or worse ... and I will stick around till the end ... ;)

Its been 5 wonderfull and awesome years ... a great show, a great cast and an absolute joy to have known each and every single character ... here is to Alias :cheers:

I think in our hearts, we all knew that this was going to the last season of Alias. But now that's it final and set, it's sad.... because we've been attached to this show. And it's just sad. :cry:

But I think that it's been a great 5 years, with its ups and downs. Never giving up on Alias through the bad times, I'll be there until it ends in May. :smiley:

:byesad: :byesad: :byesad:
NOOOOOOO!!! why does it have to end? :(
they better give the show the most awesome final or im gonna be very upset.
:cheers: well Alias we'll all miss you.

I knew this was going to happen, but I'm still devestated :( :( :( The only why I MIGHT be able to live without Alias is if the series finale is an AMAZING one. Otherwise, I'll be one sad, and one pissed off soul :( :( :(

ok well i can't say i didn't expect this but still, my denial bubble refused to let me believe it :cry:

all i can say is that abc better not complain about the ratings because THEY put it on thursday nights against Survivor and the OC so they can't say they didn't see this coming.

*sighs* well it's been a fun ride, RIP Alias :cry:

The really sad thing is the number of people on the board! Seventeen readers! Feels like last season after (or during) an episode. Sorry to see this much excitement for bad news :(
We'll all miss Alias. I'll try to get involved in other programs, but I'm not sure it'll ever be the same <sigh>. However most of us know that it could have ended last season. I suspect the Syd/Vaughn shippers would have liked it to end because I think they'd have danced off into the sunset. Personally I'm liking this season a lot! When it's over we'll light a candle :::::::::::wiping a tear::::::::::: and start the DVD's all over again!

*lots of tears* I had to come her to read it for my self! I cant belive the show I feel in love freshman year is ending. Its not bad enoght that I lost most of my high school friends this summer but now I have to lose one of the things that keeps me real!!! :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(
syd

Like averyone else i kind of anticipated that season five would be the last for Alias but even though it is the end and there will be no more new episodes, we all know that Alias will live on through the DVD's which are an amazing showcase of the five years of hard work that JJ. Abrams and his cast and crew have put into the show!
If I were to say anything at all to the people who have made Alias possible I would say Congratulations to the whole cast and crew on a job well done. i have been a fan of Alias from day one. i have loved every second of every episode and i will keep on loving it long after Season 5 ends! Love you all!

I just saw the news on yahoo...it was kinda surprising cause one of the people(kristen or someone else) said they signed for 6 seasons. But then i thought, how would she go on with the baby and everything?? I'm almost in tears typing this. Alias has meant literally the world to me. I know it's pathetic and just a tv show, but i'll miss running upstairs 5 minutes before it came on so i wouldn't miss a single minute, and taping the shows when i really had no way of seeing it, but going crazy the whole night wondering what happened on the show. I'll miss looking forward to seeing my alias every week. I have other shows i watch, but nothing EVER has or will beat alias.

RIP ALIAS... you've given us 5 wonderful, amazing seasons.

PS: IF MICHAEL VARTAN DOES NOT COME BACK TO LIFE SOMEHOW IN THE SEASON FINALE I WILL BE SERIOUSLY PISSED OFF.

It's said "Love Story" so...i think Vaughn's going to turn out alive and in hiding.

Also, it's not like Alias got cancelled really, cancelled would be considered mid-season. They're just not picking it up again. I think it's good they're ending it, we need everything to come to a close.

It's said "Love Story" so...i think Vaughn's going to turn out alive and in hiding.

Also, it's not like Alias got cancelled really, cancelled would be considered mid-season. They're just not picking it up again. I think it's good they're ending it, we need everything to come to a close.

I agree about that but you can still get pissed over it. Especially if they only plan to run 18 episodes this year. Please tell thats false info. It gotta have 22 episodes

If i where Abrams i would take LOST with me and put it on another network. Then he can make the ABC suits cry

:cry: I think a part of me knew that this would be happen, but I stayed in my denial bubble and refused to believe it. I have to say however, that ABC did this to themselves. Putting it on Thursday nights was a bad move.

I'm going to miss everything about Alias. The sadness I felt when each episode would end, but also the excitement knowing that it was only a week (usually) till I saw it again. Wanting to yell and scream at the TV sometimes and hurt the writers with what they would put us through (*coughLaurencough*) The cast, crew, and everyone involved with the show gave us five wonderful years.

Oh, and if Michael Vartan doesn't come back to the show alive, I will be very, very[/] mad.

It will be hard, but I will live. By watching my DVD's. I think I'm going to watch the whole series over again with the breaks and everything. It will be like old times. Ahhh...The good ol' days.

~Karen

Back