ABC to End 'Alias' Run in May 2006

I think what is really sad about this is that Alias didn't come to a conclusion on it's own, it was cancelled. If it had ended of it's own accord with Season 5 I don't think it would've been quite as upsetting, but that some execs said, basically, "We don't think it's good enough" is what hurts most.

My only consolation in this is that I've read an interview with an Alias producer who said that there was a lot more in store for Alias beyond TV. If that means the possibility of a big-budget movie, or maybe a series of them I think I'll be amazingly happy.

I'm also glad, as not only an Alias fan, but also a comic-book reader, that an Alias Graphic Novel is in the works, set for release at the end of this year, I believe. It's being published as a part of the Disney company's foray in to the comic world. See here. I can't wait to continue my adventures with Syd and the gang, and hope that this is made in to an on-going series. Hopefully it will continue in the format established in the early seasons.

RIP Alias, it has truly been an amazing ride, and I hope good things come out of this. We may not see them now, but I'm being optimistic. =)

well all good things have to end - i just hope they see us out with a damn fine and splendid finale!!!! and with vaughn in it!!! (y)

Does anyoen else think Alias could have continued even if JG left? I was thinking about that last week and I really think there's really great potential to center it around the 2 new agents....I guess its too late now, though :(.
There's always potential but remember, this show is/was about and centered around the Bristows, the Rambaldi mythology and how the two were tied together. As much as I would love to have Alias around longer, I think if you take away the main focus of show, Sydney Bristow, what would you have left? I'm just not so sure it would work. ;)

On another note, I would love to be able to sit down with J.J. Abrams and ask him what he would've done differently with the show if he could go back in time? Would they still have written "Phase One" the way they did? Or would they have kept Sydney as a double agent longer and left SD-6 as the big bad for awhile?(Because, my opinion here, I think that's where the show took the turn that led us to where we are.) Would the "missing 2 years" ever been a part of the show if you could go back? Would Sydney have a sister? I have a lot more questions that'll probably never be answered, but it's interesting to wonder what the answers would be. Great show. Enjoyed the ride.

NOOO!!! why are they doing this!!!??

this is really sad news. i'm gonna miss everyone on the show especially sydney.

i just hope the last episode would not be much of a cliff-hanger because i would demand another season.

is there any chance for a come-back?

I think what is really sad about this is that Alias didn't come to a conclusion on it's own, it was cancelled. If it had ended of it's own accord with Season 5 I don't think it would've been quite as upsetting, but that some execs said, basically, "We don't think it's good enough" is what hurts most.

Exactly! People thinking that it's just not good anymore hurts.

I saw this coming right when the rumors came last summer, so not a shock.

Am I sad? Yeah. But for some reason I don't see this as a bad thing for the show. People say that quality declined after Season 2. Maybe. But I think that because they're PLANNING on ending instead of trying to draw it out and be cancelled a season or two down the road without warning. The end of Season 5 is bound to be amazing and blow everyone away. I can't wait!

When this tib-bit hit the news, I had to catch a tear. This is some sad news for this Alias fan. But I must say that JJ and the others sure have gave me a good five years to look back on. And I'll be here until the very last minute of the series. It's bon voyage in a few months, but I'm going to set back, buckle up and let JJ shoot me home with his Alias ending. JJ started the series off with great redness and I only hope that he'll end it with that great red head dress. :( :( :(

I'm seriously gonna miss Alias...I mean it has been the only show I've ever been this dedicated to and now it gonna be gone in May. This has really been the one of the best shows in television over the past five years and it diserves to go out in style! So heres hoping to an AWSOME series finale.

It is sad to see our favorite show to go. I guess tv shows don't last forever. (n) I hope couple years later or maybe 20 years later down the road. I hope Alias will have a reunion

You know what bugs me: Drama shows are dropping like flies and look at the reality shows. They are surviving.
I really don’t care for reality shows.

First: Third Watch (My other favorite show) only lasted 6 season and Alias going to end 5 season. Is there other drama shows didn't lasted or is about to end??

I really hope J.J. Abrams writes the finale of Alias, Ken Olin directing (the good old crew. Who brought the show alive)

You know what bugs me: Drama shows are dropping like flies and look at the reality shows. They are surviving.
I really don’t care for reality shows.

YES! That is so true. It's rediculously unfair, some of the decisions made my these networks.

I really hope J.J. Abrams writes the finale of Alias, Ken Olin directing (the good old crew. Who brought the show alive)

They have to do that, or have JJ write and direct it. It's like...the law of series finales lol. If they don't, it'll just seem wrong, like JJ has totally deserted the show. But he's still connected to it, he really loves it, so I think he'll do it.

i know that some people may be really disappointed, but i think its for the best
i mean its better to finish off the season when its not at a critical time in people watching it, and i mean everything is coming to an end
the prophecy was fulfilled, vaughn is dead
its time to let go
they really were 5 wonderful years, and i will miss alias, and this whole family of people to talk 2 when the show is over, but no good thing goes on forever
i will severly miss alias, and wish all of the cast members my best
time to find another show to latch to
goodbye
im gettin emotional

It was already a sad day and I come here hoping to cheer me up by reading FanFic and I see this! This day started out good and now it is bad! Oh well... At least it lasted this long!

RIP Alias! We were lucky to have been graced with your presence for the past 5 years!

Megan

While I realize the first two seasons (season story arcs) made things difficult to attract new viewers, and the writing teams have tried many different ways to attract new viewers, I sincerely believe that ABC has done the most damage to the series by continually bumping it in favor of every award show or variety hour special that happened to be available (when it was on Sunday nights), then finally giving it a chance by putting it after Lost only to take that time-slot away again. It's weak that ABC wouldn't support a show that helped keep it afloat during it's rough times. But, then ABC doesn't treat just Alias poorly, they treat many of their great shows poorly... like threatening to make Lost film in LA to save $500k/ep... like bumping the last 7 episodes of Boston Legal last season to accomodate Grey's Anatomy... like thinking Desperate Housewives is actually more of a long-haul show than a passing fad that has already begun to fade...

The sad thing is that I know there are Alias fans out there who just don't know it... sooo many people I've talked to have never even heard of it (probably because of all the "dial-dancing" that ABC put it through). I've lent those people my box sets and they ALL come back major fans... like watching 22 episodes straight, in one sitting, fanatic-type fans... asking to borrow the next season, dissapointed when they run out of DVD's to borrow at the end of season 4. That said, obviously ABC's marketing of the show was hugely ineffective. The promos for the pilot and the Superbowl ad before Phase One were the strongest the marketing has ever been for this show... which was great for those episodes, but wasn't really enough to get the ball rolling (plus the fact that Phase One was on WAY later than usual, well after the game was over. Why wouldn't you have aired that episode (my #2 favorite, right behind the pilot) on the following Sunday, since you're in the habit of pre-empting anyways, instead of airing it for a primarily half-drunk, either celebritory or depressed audience after 10 at night on a Sunday! (Ok, so that was a bit of a rant... sorry about that...)

JJ was/is under contract with Touchstone TV/ABC to develop series for them. Alias, Lost, and soon 'The Catch' (not to mention M:I3). I think he's simply spread too thin. I have some significant hopes that 'The Catch' will be a hit. I'll miss Alias though... I loved it from episode one.

I also think Nichols and Getty could have made for good TV, with guest spots from Garner, but as was stated before, the show is not about the CIA -- it's about a father and daughter... and with the daughter part missing, it becomes an entirely different show.

JJ is a brilliant guy who's plugged into what makes for interesting TV. Hopefully, M:I3 pans out for him, and he gets to do some bigger movies too, but I don't want him to leave TV behind. He gives us reliably great shows time and again.

I'm sad to see Alias go. I'm more connected to the show than most ;) , and while I will miss these characters, I'll continue to support the cast wherever they may go... and JJ will always have at least one audience member in me to watch his latest creation, whether I have to chase it around the ABC schedule or not!

--<O>--

I really cannot imagine life without Alias. On the other hand, episode 4x22-Before the Flood, would make a great ending for the show. It was epic, it concluded the four year long Rambaldi plot line and answered lots of questions. But the moment the car hit them... I realized this show will always have something to offer.

But to be honest, I hate those cliffhangers since the last episode of season 3. "Project SAB 47" started by Jack... wow, can you imagine what season 4 would be like, if they didn't abbandone this plot line? It seems they found out this would be too much, Syd being Jack's project, so they cooked up half a season of stand-alone episodes with only minor cliffangers only to reveal 11 episodes of pure genius in the second half (to me, it started after "The Orphan").

Now, 15 episodes to go in season 5, I wonder what's gonna happen next and I have faith in the creators that it will be the biggest moment in TV history. It will be sad without Alias, but hey! Five seasons of 22 episodes each makes 110 episodes alltogether. 110 times aprox. 41 minutes is 75 hours and 10 minutes of Alias!!! I'll watch it over and over and over if I must.

I knew this would be the end of Alias when I heard that idiot Ben Affleck made Jen pregnant. I know they love each other and want to have a family, but we want the show continuing!!! Could Jen come back when the kid's older? She might, but would anyone care about Alias by then? I doubt it. I am loyal, but the loyalties of other people ar flexible...

IN LOVING MEMORY OF ALIAS
I THANK THE CAST AND CREW OF THIS
BREATHTAKING SHOW.​

Very, very sad. On one hand, from a buisness point of view, I can see why ABC would want to bump Alias. But on the other hand this is my alltime favorite show and I am very sad that it will no longer be around.

I would like to thank everyone who helped to make Alias the show that it is today. Cast, Crew, JJ, and us loyal fans that stuck by them even through the hard times.

Lee

I don't know if i'm the first one to say this but if Alias ends what will happen to us? I mean to this site. Will we still talk about Alias?

:eek: I hate to see it end...it had a great five season even season three....but i guess it time to say good-bye. (n) But u never know they cancelled many shows a years later they bought them back...look at family guy they got the boot from Fox but years later it returned. There may be hope! (n) :banghead: There will be life after ALias...but what????????????????????????? (n) Were the stars asking for more money? :money: Whats gonna happen to this site? Its like a home away from home!

Mel
:brokenheart:

Back