Abrams discusses Lost

Lost News

Official News Poster
From Sci Fi Wire:

Lost Looks Ahead

J.J. Abrams, who co-created ABC's hit SF series Lost, told SCI FI Wire that he's already coming up with ideas for a second season. "We obviously know what we're doing for the rest of this year," Abrams said in an interview at ABC's winter press preview in Universal City, Calif. "We definitely have big ideas about what we want to do down the line, past just the second season, and a lot of ideas for the second season already."

But Abrams remained coy about his plans, though he promised to reveal some of the secrets about the island where 48 survivors of a plane crash—including Jack (Matthew Fox) and Kate (Evangeline Lilly)—have found themselves stranded. "There isn't one answer to everything," Abrams said. "It's, like, this island has an amazing history that we've talked about, and things will change as we go, it always does. ... [But] you don't have the time or the energy to figure out everything in the first season of a show that, ... if you're lucky, [you] get five, six, seven, eight years [to do]. But we have a few really big ideas that we hope we're on long enough to tell."

Abrams added: "The thing about Lost is that the show is not just about ... the mysteries of the island. This island has a lot of complex sort of mythology and stuff that we've discussed, and will over time be revealed. ... In order to do the story right, you need time. ... Each of these characters has a handful or ... more of important stories that you want to see told over time as well."

Abrams offered one hint for attentive viewers. "I don't know if you can see this yet, [but every flashback] makes reference to something else," he said. "So you'll get a beginning, middle and end of that flashback story, but you'll wonder, 'Wait, what the hell was he there for? That's weird.' And that will help prompt the next flashback. At the end of the day, what I think is cool about it is you'll be able to take the Sawyer [Josh Holloway] flashbacks, all of them, and you could cut them together so you see them as an entire sort of movie of this person's life. See where they started, see what happened to them over time, and make a sort of linear thing. And yet, we're seeing them every eight, 10 episodes, you'll see that person's story. ... If we get to do the story that we anticipate doing, there's a big thing and a big payoff. Whether we get to that at the very end or we get to that earlier, and it becomes the start of the next chapter, is part of the evolution of telling the story." Lost airs Wednesdays at 8 p.m. ET/PT.

Quote: "And yet, we're seeing them every eight, 10 episodes, you'll see that person's story. ... If we get to do the story that we anticipate doing, there's a big thing and a big payoff. "

Ok, if we are seeing them every 10 episodes, that means 10 story lines - but 14 main characters. We know that at least one person is going to die - thats 13. If Walt & Michael count as 1 story line, Jin & Sun as 1 and maybe Shannon & Boone as 1 - that leaves 10 - So maybe it is one of these six are going to die? Or we get a story line for the french women - the possiblities are endless - I just found it very interesting that there will be 10 story lines going on.

Or maybe we don't get Hurley's story - I will be very upset if we don't get his story. I bet it would be good.

I know I need to stop, my brain is starting to hurt.

someone's going to die??? :lol:

great article - this is what I love about lost so much: it's one giant, crazy, mofo of a jigsaw puzzle that you get to put together!

Back