Abrams: No Alias movie

Alias News

Official News Poster
From Sci Fi Wire:

Abrams: No Alias Film For Now

J.J. Abrams, who created ABC's Alias, is now winding down the spy series and launching his own movie-directing career; he told SCI FI Wire that he doesn't think there's going to be a big-screen version of the TV show, at least not yet. Speaking to reporters in a conference call to promote his current movie, Mission: Impossible III, Abrams said that he hopes to continue to work in both movies and television and added that tying up all of the loose ends on Alias is important to him. "I've got to say it's the only show that really needs to tie up everything," Abrams said about the show, which ends its five-year run with a two-hour finale on May 22. "This is something we have been anticipating for a while. I think it's the right time to end the series."

Abrams said that he will miss Alias star Jennifer Garner and the rest of the cast. "It's definitely bittersweet for a lot of obvious reasons," he said. "It's an incredible cast and crew, so we'll miss them, but I hope to work with all of them again soon. But in terms of the end of the year, it's actually a really good finale. I think it's incredibly satisfying. It connects all these pieces that have been in the Alias universe from the beginning, and I'm really proud of the work that Jeff Pinkner, Drew Goddard and the other amazing writers in the show have done, not just this year, but building up to the finale, which I think is going to be a really, really powerful and exciting ending."

As far as bringing it to the big screen, Abrams sighed. "I think at the moment, right now Alias is sort of going to rest in just the right way, so I think that it's the right way for it to go out." Mission: Impossible III is now playing. Alias airs Wednesdays at 8 p.m. ET/PT. —Mike Szymanski

Well damn! I have to say that I knew that would be the case. Maybe a few years down the road it will be right to do a movie. Kind of like with X Files! Of course that one came out during the last season if I recall correctly and tied up some loose ends for the show. I agree with JJ though that there are some things that needed to be tied up. I can only hope that with 2 shows left all will be revelved. I am truly going to miss the show!

Back