Academy Award Winners 2006

My favorite Jon quote
Bjork couldn't be here tonight. She was trying on her dress and Dick Cheney shot her.
:lol:

For the crowd that he was performing for, he could have done worst...like Lettermen bad but I thought he didn't. Although I don't expect it to be the highest rated since there really wasn't any movie this year that a fan favorite and blockbuster hit like Titanic to Lord of the Rings like years past.

I think Jon was awesome. It made the show much more interesting.

I'm glad Crash won. It was my favourite. I liked Brokeback Mountain, but honestly, I don't think it's all that good. It's not too strong. In my opinion, Crash and Munich are much better.

The original song was a surprise. Those guys were so excited. :lol: it was funny.

And I'm glad Rachel Weisz won. The Constant Gradener was one of the best movies of the year and it deserved something :smiley:
Rachel was awesome in it.

Ugh, I just had a whole big thing typed out, but it got deleted. Let's see if I can re-create it before I have to head out to class.

First off I thought Jon Stewart did a great job! I was so very impressed. His jokes were pertenent and hilarious. And I don't think the audience didn't get his jokes. He always had a very substantial amount of laughs, and based on interviews it seems as though many of the people in attendence were impressed with him (though they probably feel that anyone is better than Chris Rock). I also didn't get the nervous vibe, he seemed cool as a cucumber. I just love him.

While I'm a little heartbroken that Brokeback Mountain didn't win best picture, I do think that Crash is deserving. It's a movie that resonates with everyone who sees it. It was brilliant, and if it couldn't be Brokeback, then this was certainly the best alternative.

Ang Lee's win was so well deserved. He did an incredible job with Brokeback and I don't think anyone else could've won that Oscar.

I knew that Philip Seymour Hoffman was going to beat out Heath Ledger. I've just heard such incredible things about his portrayl of Truman Capote. I had been hoping to see Capote on Saturday, but I've been quite sick with the flu, so had to pass on it. I'm still hoping to see it though once I get better. I'm also a little disappointed that he didn't bark his acceptance speech...though that would've been a tad inappropriate. I wonder what he's going to have to do to repay his college buddy.

I was thrilled that Reese Witherspoon won! She did such an amazing job in Walk the Line. Not only did she have to act, but she had to learn how to sing for the role, and she did an incredible job. Her speech, in my opinion, was the best of the night. It was so sweet, sincere, and heartfelt. I wish her only the best, and am looking forward to seeing what she does next.

I'm very happy for George Clooney, he's had quite a year. I certainly wouldn't have minded having Jake Gyllenhaal win, but I knew it was going to George. Who would've thought that only several years ago we were watching him on ER. He has really proven that he can do it all.

The only word that I was generally disappointed in who won was for best supporting actress. I was not happy that Rachel Weisz won. Nothing against her, but I was completely underwhelmed with The Constant Gardner, and felt that Michelle Williams was more deserving. Oh well, you can't be happy with all of them, I suppose.

I felt that the screenplay awards definitely went to the right films. Crash was brilliantly constructed and thought up, and Brokeback was amazing. They turned an 18 page short story into a 2 hour movie, and did so seamlessly.

I loved that Brokeback won for best original score. The music in that movie is beautiful.

I am so ecstatic that It's Hard Out Here for a Pimp won best song!! I have been rooting for this song since the beginning. Not just because I thought it would be funny, but because it really is a good song and is perfect in the movie. Unlike the other two songs nominated, this isn't just backround, it plays an active part in the plot of the movie. I loved Three-Six Mafia...I've never seen people so thrilled to win an Oscar...that's how you accept one! I'm so happy for them...I'm sure their parents never thought they'd see their sons accepting an Academy Award :lol:

All in all I really thought that this was the best Academy Awards ever. I thought Jon Stewart was hilarious, and that really almost all of the winners deserved it. Way to go Oscar! (y)

I agree with everything but this
The only word that I was generally disappointed in who won was for best supporting actress. I was not happy that Rachel Weisz won. Nothing against her, but I was completely underwhelmed with The Constant Gardner, and felt that Michelle Williams was more deserving. Oh well, you can't be happy with all of them, I suppose
Rachel Weisz was amazing in The Constant Gardener. Like someone said it's not easy to compare actors if they're not playing the same role, but I think she's much better than Michelle. :smiley:

am so ecstatic that It's Hard Out Here for a Pimp won best song!! I have been rooting for this song since the beginning. Not just because I thought it would be funny, but because it really is a good song and is perfect in the movie. Unlike the other two songs nominated, this isn't just backround, it plays an active part in the plot of the movie. I loved Three-Six Mafia...I've never seen people so thrilled to win an Oscar...that's how you accept one! I'm so happy for them...I'm sure their parents never thought they'd see their sons accepting an Academy Award
:lol:
it was a great moment. he he
they were so happy. Althought none of the 3 songs was really that great... still better than last year.

First off I thought Jon Stewart did a great job! I was so very impressed. His jokes were pertenent and hilarious. And I don't think the audience didn't get his jokes. He always had a very substantial amount of laughs, and based on interviews it seems as though many of the people in attendence were impressed with him (though they probably feel that anyone is better than Chris Rock). I also didn't get the nervous vibe, he seemed cool as a cucumber. I just love him.

After reading some reviews, I'd like to take back nervous, he seemed more restrained which is understandable since this was network tv and live, he couldn't just well, swear like he does on the pre-taped Daily Show. :D Jessica Alba said that she is a HUGE fan , she even records the show every night. ;) I guess we know that means, right Jamison?

While I'm a little heartbroken that Brokeback Mountain didn't win best picture, I do think that Crash is deserving. It's a movie that resonates with everyone who sees it. It was brilliant, and if it couldn't be Brokeback, then this was certainly the best alternative.

I think it was someone from the accounting firm that said the biggest shock would come at the end of the night during the E! news all day coverage. That's for sure! I think the voters chose Crash because it's message about tolerance could applied to every form of discrimination and ignorance. It still baffles me that Paul Haggis made such a great film but also created Texas Walker Ranger :lol: :lol:

I am so ecstatic that It's Hard Out Here for a Pimp won best song!! I have been rooting for this song since the beginning. Not just because I thought it would be funny, but because it really is a good song and is perfect in the movie. Unlike the other two songs nominated, this isn't just backround, it plays an active part in the plot of the movie. I loved Three-Six Mafia...I've never seen people so thrilled to win an Oscar...that's how you accept one! I'm so happy for them...I'm sure their parents never thought they'd see their sons accepting an Academy Award :lol:

From the moment Queen Latifah opened the envelope I just knew that Three-Six Mafia won. ;)

I agree with everything but this

Rachel Weisz was amazing in The Constant Gardener. Like someone said it's not easy to compare actors if they're not playing the same role, but I think she's much better than Michelle. :smiley:

I've always really liked Rachel Weisz, and I do agree that she put a lot into her role, I just absolutely hated the movie. My parents and I watched it and we literally struggled to even finish it. I think that if I had enjoyed the movie then I probably would feel that she was more deserving. Brokeback Mountain was my favorite movie of the year and because of that the actors just seemed to shine so much more so than actors in other movies, so that's one of the reasons why I wanted Michelle Williams. Plus, given her limited screen time she really made quite a presence.

That's just me though ^_^

After reading some reviews, I'd like to take back nervous, he seemed more restrained which is understandable since this was network tv and live, he couldn't just well, swear like he does on the pre-taped Daily Show. :D Jessica Alba said that she is a HUGE fan , she even records the show every night. ;) I guess we know that means, right Jamison?

I think it was someone from the accounting firm that said the biggest shock would come at the end of the night during the E! news all day coverage. That's for sure! I think the voters chose Crash because it's message about tolerance could applied to every form of discrimination and ignorance. It still baffles me that Paul Haggis made such a great film but also created Texas Walker Ranger :lol: :lol:

From the moment Queen Latifah opened the envelope I just knew that Three-Six Mafia won. ;)

hehehe...we definitely know what that means. I know a lot of the actors loved Jon Stewart. He's gotten mixed reviews, but who doesn't. Ebert and Roper absolutely loved him and said that he could have this job for life if he wanted it and even compared him to Carson...quite an honor. I know that Jessica Alba enjoyed him, J.Lo did, George Clooney did, Jake Gyllenhaal did, as well as Steven Speilberg who said he was "fantastic". Way to go Jon!!! :D

lol...Paul Haggis. It is hard to believe that the same guy who brought you the brilliance of Crash also brought you Walker...oh boy :P

Also wanted to add something I didn't like about the ceremony. I thought it was so rude to keep music playing while people were trying to give their acceptance speeches. Apparently they did it to speed people along, but I felt it was rather tacky. And I know they want to wrap things up, but I felt it was in poor taste to just cut people off, like the people who were accepting the best picture award for Crash. That's their big moment, let them talk!

I thought that Stewart did a fine job and was funny. I thought that the audience got his jokes, but they weren't comfortable laughing at some of them (just a little too true, maybe?). A case of audience nervousness, in this case. ;) Too bad, it might keep him from being invited back and I thought he did rather well.

After the rumors about the Academy voters, I can't say I was surprised by the choice for best picture, although if this is the reason (conservative voters who don't want to appear biased), it's disappointing. However, since I have seen Crash and thought it to be an amazing film (and I love Haggis' work), I can't complain. [And he's coming back to series work, hurrah!] Unfortunately, I have not had the opportunity to see Brokeback Mountain (I just looked and it has finally come to my county, but it is all the way up in American Fork . . . a long way to go for me). But Crash, it shows how people can be victims one day, victimizers the next--monsters, then heroes--and vice versa. It's amazing and sad.

The original song category was thin this year, only 3 nominees, but better 3 than 15! (the max ever) Can you imagine how long the show would be if they had to do 15 songs? :lol:

Perhaps I shouldn't have said anything about Stewart because this was the first time I saw the guy! They don't air his show on any of the main channels here. It's hard to judge people when you don't know their style. Imagine if I had seen Conan O'Brien first time yesterday doing his thing, I would have thought that he's nuts! You have to know his style to love and appreciate it.

After some longer consideration I admit that Stewart had some pretty funny jokes but there's still something missing. I wouldn't ask him to host the show again if I could decide..

hehehe...we definitely know what that means. I know a lot of the actors loved Jon Stewart. He's gotten mixed reviews, but who doesn't. Ebert and Roper absolutely loved him and said that he could have this job for life if he wanted it and even compared him to Carson...quite an honor. I know that Jessica Alba enjoyed him, J.Lo did, George Clooney did, Jake Gyllenhaal did, as well as Steven Speilberg who said he was "fantastic". Way to go Jon!!! :D

lol...Paul Haggis. It is hard to believe that the same guy who brought you the brilliance of Crash also brought you Walker...oh boy :P

Also wanted to add something I didn't like about the ceremony. I thought it was so rude to keep music playing while people were trying to give their acceptance speeches. Apparently they did it to speed people along, but I felt it was rather tacky. And I know they want to wrap things up, but I felt it was in poor taste to just cut people off, like the people who were accepting the best picture award for Crash. That's their big moment, let them talk!

With Jon's style of comedy and being in the room with people that he's interviewed (most of them) worked in his advantage. He didn't have the fear of seeing Patricia Heaton scowling face or Sean Penn's...love his work but he's such a downer!

Will Ferrell and Steve Carell were great, they need to do an episode of The Office together! Love the eye lashes, Steve!

Ben Stiller and his green suit :lol:

Here's what MSN's kim Morgan said about George's speech:
George Clooney, after winning Best Supporting Actor for "Syriana." The now King of Hollywood (and let's face it, that's why he won over his other just-as-deserved nominees) starting off witty with, "Wow, all right, so I'm not winning director" and then getting political -- but with class you can't top. Addressing those who find Hollywood liberal and "out of touch," Clooney applauded the Academy for taking on such hot-button topics as AIDS and civil rights, noting that the Academy gave African-American actress Hattie McDaniel an Oscar in 1939. Instead of rattling off thanks to the usual scroll of agents, producers and others, he emphasized that if being out of touch meant being progressive, he was happy Hollywood was. Funny, heartfelt and yet, somehow, not overly self-important, it was simply perfect. Of course, Bill O'Reilly will have a field day with it.

I agree, especially with that last line LOL Then again, it doesn't take much to get under Bill's skin but there's just something about Clooney that irks him...probably enough to motivate him to use his loofah. ;)

I saw Sandra Bullock being upset at the orchestra which was understandable. The show didn't run that late and honestly, it's their time, let them have it!

Whenever I think of Walker, I just remember Conan's clips lol :lol: Congrats to Paul though :D

Sandra and Keanu are not making Speed 3! lol They're starring in a dramatic romance together which is in post production. But I loved them in Speed.

Fashion wise, most of the dresses were stunning...but Charlize pillow shoulder was not flattering. :blink: And I loved the design of Michelle's dress but not the mustard color. Maggie Gyllenhaal's gray gown was too bland and loose.

My best Dressed list

Reese looked radiant in her vintage Christian Dior, she bought it herself and as she said, "It's mine!" Take note Chanel!
Jessica Alba was breathtaking in her golden Versace gown, it's hard for her to look bad.
I want Jada's blue dress and damn, she's has buff arms lol
Sandra Bullock's Angel Sanchez dress was a huge improvement :D Love her! And she had pockets ;)
Hilary Swank...her gown almost made me forgot about the one she wore last year..almost!
Salma Hayek, I just love the color blue and how it fitted her body. She's not a twig and damn proud of it.

For the guys...
George Clooney
Jake Gyllenhaal
Steve Carell
Ludacris
Eric Bana
Heath Ledger
Ryan Phillippe

Tim Burton....he's just him lol I'd be shocked if he ever came to one these events looking all GQ.

first I was surprised that Crash won, but then when you think about it..so many actors, so there were alot of people right there who would vote for themselves then those people had friends who would vote for them...so I guess not really a surprise after all.

Back