Academy Awards 2005

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>"Aviator," "Neverland," "Baby" lead the Pack. "Fahrenheit" forgotten. Two Noms for Foxx. Very Few Surprises.</span>

Early this morning, the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences announced the nominees for the coveted Academy Award, or Oscar. There were few surprises or shockers this morning, as most nominations were being expected.

"The Aviator" took the most nominations with 11, "Finding Neverland" and "Million Dollar Baby" each received 7, "Ray" got 6, and "Sideways" rounded out the top five films with 5 nominations. All of these films each received a slot in the highly regarded Best Picture category.

The Best Actor category held few surprises with Johnny Depp for "Finding Neverland," Leonardo DiCaprio for "The Aviator," Jamie Foxx for "Ray," and Don Cheadle for "Hotel Rwanda." The minutely surprising nominee in this category was Clint Eastwood for "Million Dollar Baby," whose spot was expected to be given to Paul Giamatti for his performance in "Sideways."

Most predictions were right on the money for the Best Actress category who included front-runners Hilary Swank for "Million Dollar Baby," Annette Bening for "Being Julia," and Imelda Staunton for "Vera Drake," as well as space fillers Kate Winslet for "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" and "Maria Full of Grace" actress Catalina Sandino Moreno.

The biggest surprise of the morning probably belonged to the directing category where dark horse Mike Leigh for "Vera Drake" took a nomination along with Martin Scorcese for "The Aviator," Clint Eastwood for "Million Dollar Baby," Taylor Hackford for "Ray," and Alexander Payne for "Sideways." And who was snubbed to leave a spot for Leigh but Marc Forster for his direction in "Finding Neverland."

Other snubbed films include "Spanglish" and "Fahrenheit 9/11" that failed to pick up a single nomination, along with "House of Flying Daggers" that couldn't manage to get a spot in the Foreign Language Film category. Eyebrow-raising film "Kinsey" only managed one nomination for Laura Linney's portrayl as a supporting actress. Awe-inspiring films "Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow" and "The Day After Tomorrow" were both snubbed of a nomination for their dazzling visual effects.

Amidst the snubs included some pleasant surprises, however. Along with Mike Leigh's nomination for directing "Vera Drake" came the same film's nomination in the Original Screenplay category. In the Adapted Screenplay category fell critically hailed "Before Sunset" and "The Motorcycle Diaries," both unexpected triumphs.

Here are all the nominees for the 77th Annual Academy Awards:

ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE

Don Cheadle - HOTEL RWANDA
Johnny Depp - FINDING NEVERLAND
Leonardo DiCaprio - THE AVIATOR
Clint Eastwood - MILLION DOLLAR BABY
Jamie Foxx - RAY

ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE

Alan Alda - THE AVIATOR
Thomas Haden Church - SIDEWAYS
Jamie Foxx - COLLATERAL
Morgan Freeman - MILLION DOLLAR BABY
Clive Owen - CLOSER

ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE

Annette Bening - BEING JULIA
Catalina Sandino Moreno - MARIA FULL OF GRACE
Imelda Staunton - VERA DRAKE
Hilary Swank - MILLION DOLLAR BABY
Kate Winslet - ETERNAL SUNSHINE OF THE SPOTLESS MIND

ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE

Cate Blanchett - THE AVIATOR
Laura Linney - KINSEY
Virginia Madsen - SIDEWAYS
Sophie Okonedo - HOTEL RWANDA
Natalie Portman - CLOSER

ANIMATED FEATURE FILM

THE INCREDIBLES
SHARK TALE
SHREK 2

ART DIRECTION

THE AVIATOR
FINDING NEVERLAND
LEMONY SNICKET'S A SERIES OF UNFORTUNATE EVENTS
THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA
A VERY LONG ENGAGEMENT

CINEMATOGRAPHY

THE AVIATOR
HOUSE OF FLYING DAGGERS
THE PASSION OF THE CHRIST
THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA
A VERY LONG ENGAGEMENT

COSTUME DESIGN

THE AVIATOR
FINDING NEVERLAND
RAY
TROY

DIRECTING

THE AVIATOR
MILLION DOLLAR BABY
RAY
SIDEWAYS
VERA DRAKE

DOCUMENTARY FEATURE

BORN INTO BROTHELS
THE STORY OF THE WEEPING CAMEL
SUPER SIZE ME
TUPAC: RESURRECTION
TWIST OF FAITH

DOCUMENTARY SHORT SUBJECT

AUTISM IS A WORLD
THE CHILDREN OF LENINGRADSKY
HARDWOOD
MIGHTY TIMES: THE CHILDREN'S MARCH
SISTER ROSE'S PASSION

FILM EDITING

THE AVIATOR
COLLATERAL
FINDING NEVERLAND
MILLION DOLLAR BABY
RAY

FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM

AS IT IS IN HEAVEN
THE CHORUS
DOWNFALL
THE SEA INSIDE
YESTERDAY

MAKEUP

THE SEA INSIDE

MUSIC (SCORE)

FINDING NEVERLAND
HARRY POTTER AND THE PRISONER OF AZKABAN
THE VILLAGE

MUSIC (SONG)

"Accidentally In Love" - SHREK 2
"Al Otro Lado Del Río" - THE MOTORCYCLE DIARIES
"Believe" - THE POLAR EXPRESS
"Learn To Be Lonely" - THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA
"Look To Your Path (Vois Sur Ton Chemin)" - THE CHORUS

BEST PICTURE

THE AVIATOR
FINDING NEVERLAND
MILLION DOLLAR BABY
RAY
SIDEWAYS

SHORT FILM (ANIMATED)

BIRTHDAY BOY
GOPHER BROKE
GUARD DOG
LORENZO
RYAN

SHORT FILM (LIVE ACTION)

EVERYTHING IN THIS COUNTRY MUST
LITTLE TERRORIST
7:35 IN THE MORNING
TWO CARS, ONE NIGHT
WASP

SOUND EDITING

THE INCREDIBLES
THE POLAR EXPRESS
SPIDER-MAN 2

SOUND MIXING

THE AVIATOR
THE INCREDIBLES
THE POLAR EXPRESS
RAY
SPIDER-MAN 2

VISUAL EFFECTS

HARRY POTTER AND THE PRISONER OF AZKABAN
I, ROBOT
SPIDER-MAN 2

WRITING (ADAPTED SCREENPLAY)

BEFORE SUNSET
FINDING NEVERLAND
MILLION DOLLAR BABY
THE MOTORCYCLE DIARIES
SIDEWAYS

WRITING (ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY)

THE AVIATOR
ETERNAL SUNSHINE OF THE SPOTLESS MIND
HOTEL RWANDA
THE INCREDIBLES
VERA DRAKE

*wohooooo* for the Swedish movie "As it is in heaven"(Swedish name: "Så som i himmelen") :lol:

filmannonshelensj.jpg

I was disappointed that Julie Delpy didn't steal one of the Best Actress in a Leading Role nominations. I knew it was a long shot, but... She was great in "Before Sunset", a fantastic movie. If you haven't seen "Before Sunrise" and "Before Sunset", give them a try. 2 great films.

The Clint Eastwood Best Actor nomination really surprised me.

I just hope they give Jamie Foxx the Best Actor Award for "Ray" ... ;)

oh, wait a minute, he is also nominated for "Collateral" as Best Supporting Actor ... lets just hope the Academy just don't give him the Best Supporting Award, so they could give the Best Actor Award to Leonardo diCaprio ... that would really suck 👎

Alias_Gay said:
I just hope they give Jamie Foxx the Best Actor Award for "Ray" ... ;)

oh, wait a minute, he is also nominated for "Collateral" as Best Supporting Actor ... lets just hope the Academy just don't give him the Best Supporting Award, so they could give the Best Actor Award to Leonardo diCaprio ... that would really suck 👎
[post="1178884"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Actually, if Jamie doesn't win a lot of people are predicting it will go to Don Cheadle for Hotel Rwanda, which is completely deserved.

And speaking of Hotel Rwanda, the fact that it didn't get nominated for best picture infuriates me. The fact that Finding Neverland got a nom and it didn’t is so completely wrong I can’t even describe it (and that’s coming from a girl who love Johnny and everything he does). It’s just…wrong.

I am glad to see The Motorcycle Diaries up for best adapted screenplay. I know it won’t win, but I’ll still be rooting for it because I loved that movie.

agnes bean said:
And speaking of Hotel Rwanda, the fact that it didn't get nominated for best picture infuriates me. The fact that Finding Neverland got a nom and it didn’t is so completely wrong I can’t even describe it (and that’s coming from a girl who love Johnny and everything he does). It’s just…wrong.
Hotel Rwanda simply did not have enough buzz to win a Best Picture nomination. Finding Neverland was an innocent, heart-filled film that is basically Academy bait, while Rwanda was a horrific story that few people know about or care about for that matter. Rwanda was a critic's darling, but the movie up for best picture must also be popular with the people and draw a good sum of money at the box office.

Just to show you how the critics think, here are the total percentages of critics who liked each movie (courtesy or Rottentomatoes.com):

Rwanda - 89% (118/133; Average rating: 7.8/10)

Neverland - 84% (138/165; Average rating: 7.6/10)

Overall, critics think that Rwanda is a better movie. However, let's take the total box office grosses for the two movies (from Boxofficemojo.com):

Neverland - $45.75 million worldwide; currently in 869 theaters

Rwanda - $5.75 million worldwide; currently in 319 theaters

Rwanda was a critic's darling, but the movie up for best picture must also be popular with the people and draw a good sum of money at the box office.
Yes, but that's bulls***. That's not how the Oscar's should run. I know, for the most part it is how they DO run (though, I don't remember Gosford Park being that big a hit, and it got a nom--maybe I'm remembering wrong), but they SHOULD be about rewarding the best pictures out there. And it's not like Hotel Rwanda had NO buzz--it did get a nom for the Globes, and everyone knows about the acting.

agnes bean said:
Actually, if Jamie doesn't win a lot of people are predicting it will go to Don Cheadle for Hotel Rwanda, which is completely deserved.

I am glad to see The Motorcycle Diaries up for best adapted screenplay. I know it won’t win, but I’ll still be rooting for it because I loved that movie.
[post="1178918"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Well, maybe Don Cheadle can win the Best Actor Award and then Jamie Foxx can go with the Best Supporting Actor Award (y)

All I ask if for Virginia Madsen to win. I don't care about anything else, coz most of them are obvious anyway. ^_^ But Virginia Madsen... she's GOT to win it!!! :thinking: :thinking: *crosses fingers*

my top picks:

Best Pic: Million Dollar baby
Best Actor: Don Cheadle
Best Actress: Hillary Swank
Best Supporting Actor: Jamie Foxx or Morgan Freeman
Best Supporting Actress: Virginia Madsen

If I had a vote they would go to:
Best Picture: "The Aviator"
Best Actor: Jamie Foxx- "Ray"
Best Actress: Hilary Swank- "Million Dollar Baby"
Best Supporting Actor: Thomas Haden Church- "Sideways"
Best Supporting Actress: Virginia Madsen- "Sideways"
Best Director: Martin Scorsese- "The Aviator"
Best Original Screenplay: Charlie Kaufman- "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind"
Best Adapted Screenplay: Richard Linklater, Julie Delpy & Ethan Hawke- "Before Sunset"

Leslie said:
All I ask if for Virginia Madsen to win. I don't care about anything else, coz most of them are obvious anyway. ^_^ But Virginia Madsen... she's GOT to win it!!! :thinking: :thinking: *crosses fingers*
[post="1180620"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

she was brilliant in sideways

My picks - I seem biast towards MDB, but honestly, I don't remember seeing another movie that affected me so much all year.

Best Actor
Clint Eastwood - MILLION DOLLAR BABY
Jamie Foxx - RAY

I'd be happy with either one of these, but I'm leaning towards Clint Eastwood.

ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
Alan Alda - THE AVIATOR
Thomas Haden Church - SIDEWAYS
Jamie Foxx - COLLATERAL
Morgan Freeman - MILLION DOLLAR BABY
Clive Owen - CLOSER

Clive Owen was brilliant and the only thing that made Closer tolerable for me. However, Morgan Freeman was awesome in MDB.

ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE
Hilary Swank - MILLION DOLLAR BABY
Definitely.

DIRECTING
THE AVIATOR
MILLION DOLLAR BABY
RAY
SIDEWAYS
VERA DRAKE
God, don't let Aviator win.

BEST PICTURE
THE AVIATOR
FINDING NEVERLAND
MILLION DOLLAR BABY
RAY
SIDEWAYS
Definitely.

Very few movies really moved me this year and the ones that did deservedly are being recognized in the nominations.

Hotel Rwanda, Million Dollar Baby are the two that moved me beyond belief, and Finding Neverland absolutely amazed me and made me think about when is it that I lost my "child" and became an adult.

With that being said:

Best Actor
Should go to Don Cheadle. If you haven't seen Hotel Rwanda, see it. Before you go tootin' Clint Eastwoods horn, who gave probably his most mediocre performance to date.

But I predict it will go to Clint Eastwood, because let's face it, he's the favorite for directing, the movie for best picture and Hilary Swank for best actress and those usually sweep.

Best Supp. Actor
Clive Owen

Best Actress
Hilary Swank

Best Supp. Actress
Natalie Portman will probably win it. Which I hope not, not because she doesn't deserve it, she does, but because usually winners of a supporting actress role go on to make incredible mistakes in their movie career. There's a reason they say there's a so called curse behind the winner of Best Supporting Actress.

I hope who wins it is Sophie Okenedo (sp?) who gave an incredible performance in Hotel Rwanda. I was absolutely struck through the heart watching her on screen.

Best Director
Clint Eastwood-Million Dollar Baby

Best Picture
Million Dollar Baby

here are the nominees in the top categories:

Best Picture
The Aviator
Finding Neverland
Million Dollar Baby(MDB)
Ray
Sideways

Best Director