Advice needed on next reading

ghilou

Cadet
Hi,

I am an averrage reader, reading mostly (well solely) SF and Fantasy.
The problem is my first SF books were Dune, and my first Fantasy books were LoTR.
Having read that, the rest feels bland.

So here I am, looking for some advice on what I should read that would be as great as those two above.

Here is what I read, and what I thought:

Fantasy :

The royal assassin : almost one could state it in the same sentence as LoTR. Great story, great world, above many if not all fantasy I have read including

The liveship traders: not exactly as good, but still ok.

The belgariad & the malloreon : Ok I had real good time reading that. But it's still very very basic stuff.

The sword of truth series: that's very very bad. I even stoped reading one of the book halfway through.

The forgotten realms: I was forced into it by one of my GF. Even worse than SoT.

the list is not exactly complete but it might give an idea of what i like/dislike

SciFi :

Almost everything from asimov: He does have a knack for writing interesting stories, even if in the long run they seem to look alike. And his interest into sciences becomes invasive after a while.

Almost everything from P.K. **** : I really liked everything he wrote. But it is rather hard to follow and read, especially for a french native speaker.

almost everything from Lovecraft : great, classic stuff.

ender's saga : Very nice but I expected much more from it...

Kindof scratching my head at what I shall read next...

I've listed my top 20 SFF books of all time on my blog: Science Fiction & Fantasy just scroll down and you'll find the list on the left.

I've also reviewed quite a lot of books which might give you some ideas. The index to the reviews is below my Top 20 list; just click on any title which interests you.

You're going to have to read across a fair few authors now looking for the writing styles you get along with. Maybe get fee samples online (or even in the case of Baen books get complete older books to introduce you to authors) Then you'll have more idea what to pick up.

Ok thanks for the inputs. I have to add that i read most of the Dragonriders of Pern series but I was kindof disapointed - extremely well written but lack a strong story IMO.
TBH I just keep being disapointed in every books I pick up. Re-reading Dune and LoTR is an option but it's not quite the same the second time.

Like Tim said, Try some short stories so you can be aquainted with the different writing styles. Then choose from there.

SciFi is like art. Its best beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I have my standards for scifi, fantasy and horror. They are different than my non-fiction standards. Not better - Just different. Perhaps you could assess your standards and look at scifi in a different light.
When I read scifi I find myseld doing a lot of deep thinking and reflection. I don't really think about critquing the book. I get on the story and take a ride.

I personally am rereading Timothy Zahn's : Cobra series right now.

What I'm reading it for is the similarities in modern stories like Halo (irreversible operations on humans to make super soldiers and the following segregation in civilian society), the ethics of warfare where civilians are concerned, general methodical dealings with anyone who is different.

Whilst the writing style is sometimes too fast and eventful, you forgive the writing style for its content. Ideas, thoughtful situations, these sometimes make up for lacking in writing style.

Stephen Baxter: Last Contact
Information is temporarily unavailable.

Elizabeth Bear: Ice

Elizabeth Bear: Love Among the Talus

Elizabeth Bear: Lucifugous

Elizabeth Bear & Amber van Dyk: The Dying of the Light

Elizabeth Bear: Your Collar

Beth Bernobich: Air and Angels

Beth Bernobich: Chameleon

Beth Bernobich: Poison

Like Tim said, Try some short stories so you can be aquainted with the different writing styles. Then choose from there.

SciFi is like art. Its best beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I have my standards for scifi, fantasy and horror. They are different than my non-fiction standards. Not better - Just different. Perhaps you could assess your standards and look at scifi in a different light.
When I read scifi I find myseld doing a lot of deep thinking and reflection. I don't really think about critquing the book. I get on the story and take a ride.

Let not the relative small amount of book I have read decieve you : I'm an avid reader, and if this is readable at all, I'll read it all :smiley: The only time I bothered picking up a small novell is when I picked my first English version book (The man in the high castle IIRC); I was so afraid I could'nt understand it...

That being said, you are definately right. As I grow up I become more and more Intelectual and it seems Sci-Fi just doesn't brings me what I am looking for. It doesn't makes these book any lesser. I just need to read some others type of stuff so I can dwell into scifi and Fantasy for more "forward looking" reflexion, ideas that are not so "earthbound".

I have to thank you all for your inputs, again. I will copy your ideas somewhere I can have them whenever I need to pick a book. I really appreciate the effort. I almost feel special.

Try reading some Heinlein. In general I liked his writing more than Asimov's. The Moon is a Harsh Mistress is not a bad place to start. Starship Troopers is supposed to be really great, but I'm leaving that to be the last Heinlein book I read. I like the banter between Heinlein's characters, and his exploration of social ideas (to keep my reasonings short and sweet.)

Back