Age of Conan

It's too dark, depressing, and gloomy for me. And I'm too feminist as well. :P

AOC looks pretty, and "real" cultures and societies, but... meh. I can have just as believable of a city without all of the icky blood and prostitutes and whatnot.

I was reading the following preview article about age of Conan and it seems like there going to be a pretty good character creation system as well.

You cant make your armour tho, but instead you can change many aspects of physical attributes, something that you cant do in HJ (as far as we know).

In CoH/CoV you can change both "armour" and physical attributes.

Should we still hope character creation in HJ will blow our minds anyway? Or will it be to many other new games with good character customization?

Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures, CES Preview (mmorpg.com)
CES 2007 Preview | MMORPG.com

Wait here... Not editing physical attributes in Hero's Journey? I thought for sure I saw things on editing body types between feminine to masculine, height, messing with facial features..

Wait here... Not editing physical attributes in Hero's Journey? I thought for sure I saw things on editing body types between feminine to masculine, height, messing with facial features..

You did indeed. Some of the videos from E3 2006 show that in detail (What? You haven't watched all of our library of videos yet!!??) You should be able to make your character look exactly like you want. :smiley: Though, I don't think you will be able to give yourself 11 fingers or 2 heads or anything like that. Maybe that will be added.. who knows.

I saw a video demonstrating it, but I haven't beenable to look at any videos that require downloading or sound for the last week or two, which was when I really started digging. Good to hear what I thought was right.

Im not sure how you read my post, but what I meant was this:
There's alot af interesting games coming out this year and developers has promised (and in some cases shown) character costumization worthy the name. And this was a thing Simu pushed pretty hard about HJ.
So maybe we wont be so overwhelmed at HJ's character creation tool with so much similar stuff around?

However, I do have high hopes!

((sometimes I got problems explaining myself as English isn't my 1st language))

Age of Conan looks like the game for me. I'm getting kind of tired of all these bright, cheery mmorpgs. It's about time for a gritty, dark world with some realistic violence. :smiley:

Bring on the blood.

Im not sure how you read my post, but what I meant was this:
There's alot af interesting games coming out this year and developers has promised (and in some cases shown) character costumization worthy the name. And this was a thing Simu pushed pretty hard about HJ.
So maybe we wont be so overwhelmed at HJ's character creation tool with so much similar stuff around?

However, I do have high hopes!

((sometimes I got problems explaining myself as English isn't my 1st language))
More people with better customization is a good thing. Keeps all the developers on their toes.

((And you seem to speak english wonderfully. Or type. Fooled me!))

I've been reading up on this game lately and am kind of excited. It seems like it might be the one to keep me entertained before HJ comes out. Mainly because it's new.

A class that starts out as a caster and then morphs into a demon in battle and fights like a fighter? Amazing.

The combat system of actually deciding where/how to swing? Finally.

Horse combat using this system? Woohoo!

Dying too much and corrupting your soul and landing you in hell where you have to fight your way back out before playing again? <evil smile>

Low fantasy instead of high fantasy? I'm honestly sold. It's gritty. It's more... well... alive. I don't know, lately it just interests me quite a bit.

The whole single player aspect before you reach about level 20 is quite unique. I can't wait to try that out...

The Lore is set in a world that's VERY well developed and has been sitting there for 70 years. Also, from what I've seen (not 100% sure on this but I think it's true) it doesn't do ANYTHING to break the Lore.

I also read some post about the issues with people saying it's sexist or whatever. Well, when you think about an MMO, you aren't playing the 'normal people of society.' You're playing the Heros AND Heroines. A game and it's environment is what you make of it, in my opinion.

I don't know, the more I read, the more exciting and appealing it is for me.

There were lots of heroic women in Hyboria. Some thieving wrenches. Some damsels in distress, some that kicked as much ass as guys.
The lore's flawless and I do hope there's no surprise changes to Howard's work. Or if they do take liberties then do so in some of the grey areas, which I think Howard wanted honestly. He didn't find a worthy collaborator in his life time, but I think Marvel and Dark Horse comics both have set the bar. There's been some great (and some horrid) novels in the last 20 years set in the setting. Plus take the Conan and Kull movies for what they were.
As I've stated, AoC will probably find a niche rather than uber mass appeal like WoW and EQ2, but that's fine with me. I can finally decapitate some ----ers in a gritty dirty world.

There were lots of heroic women in Hyboria. Some thieving wrenches. Some damsels in distress, some that kicked as much ass as guys.

:whs:

Exactly, that's what I was trying to say but doing a really POOR job of saying it.

I am sure there will be idiots who think the Lore and setting is an excuse to play a pig-headed and sexist man... they will hide behind the fact "It's within my character because of the lore!!" But those people exist in every game. For example, a friend of mine told me she hated this group of people who hid behind the Lore of Star Wars in SWG, and hated women and were sexist and racist, because they were Imperial Officers and that's how the Empire was. However, she was her own self and just roleplayed as if they were idiots. (And usually, they were, as it drifted into the realm of OOC prejudice and sexism). The general community however laughed at this opinion. Nowadays, honestly, who wouldn't laugh? ;) When you limit yourself like that, you limit your interaction. They dig their own graves.

My point is, the world is what the players make it. If the community has these people in it, they can be accepted by those that wish, and rejected by those that wish. Like me. I would reject them, even if I was evil my character would know a woman is JUST (if not more sometimes) dangerous and intelligent as a man. That makes sense in the Lore and world, as all the player characters will be the ones who are SPECIAL. Heroes. Heroines. Anyone can kick arse, and kick it well.

Now, if it's just too 'dark' a world for you, that's perfectly understandable. I just hope there won't be good RPers out there who shy away from this game just 'cause they are worried they'll be repressed. I honestly don't think they will.

I hope ----ers of all sorts shy away from it. I myself will be seeking those rare bad asses like myself that enjoy RPing and PvPing and can do both.
I'll probably have a sexist character to be honest. I intend on creating Korr there, a character I've fanfic'd (privately) in the Hyboria world. Tho I may have to wait until his clan is playable in an expansion. Should be fun as hell regardless.

AoC looks very interesting. Although this part seems a bit odd:

"As well as having all the features you would expect from a full-blown MMO, Age of Conan will also feature a limited single-player portion at the start of the game. Here you advance through a deep and involving story, where the focus is on you, your character and your place in the world. After a while you will start meeting other players, but you will be able to switch between single-player and multiplayer during the first twenty levels of your character's life. After that, its all massively multiplayer. This is a brand new approach to leading MMO players into a deep and engaging world, and it means we can focus on telling an exciting and meaningful story with world-interactive quests." AoC

Has anyone played a game that lets you move between single player and multiplayer? This "feature" will follow you up until level 20. 'Sup wit dat?

The melding of single player RPG richness with MMORPGs is a good thing... I think you will see more and more of it as the industry evolves.

Phantasy Star Universe does it, as did Phantasy Star Online. Not sure if anyone truly counts those as in the same category as Age of Conan, though.

It's not as difficult as you might think it is. I might be a little weird to explain icly, but just mechanics wise, you'll like it when you can just get yourself alone in the world.

Funny to hear how hard he has to admit the "tank-healer-DPS all over again" concept.. hehe

sad to hear they base the classes on this tho..

edit:
and really REALLY sad to hear him equal "character development" with RPG... stupid!

In case anyone is interested (as I know I am) here are two perfect videos to get you up to speed on everything Conan will be.

Part I

Part II

Those were very interesting to watch. Thank you for posting them.
I love their ideas regarding guild fortresses and cities and their Architect crafting option.
I am looking forward to playing this game.

Back