Age of Conan

The clan I'm in and I ended up rolling on Dagoth, which seems to be a good fit. Looks like the RP-PvP server is gonna be full to the brim.

Once things settle down I'll roll a char on that server and come say hi to ya Nav.

Once I get my game from amazon I will be on a pve realm. I will pvp when I feel like. I don't like getting ganked and camped, nor do I want to do that myself. It isn't fun for me either way. I like the pvp on the borderlands and bgs. It adds just enough for me. I plan on being a barbarian myself. Stealthing and then stunning with knockback with a two hander? Yes please.

Yes, PvP can be interesting and fun, but only if it is role-played (not just slaughtering anybody without any meaning). In an MMO like AoC this will never be possible, I think. I´d never play on a PvP-server in AoC.

But I will not buy the game anyway at the moment. Maybe later, when we know, if the community is going to be the same or worse than in WOW or not (I am afraid it will even be worse). But maybe there are news on HJ by this time and I´d prefer to play HJ anyway.

The community I've ended up finding is a refreshing change from wow and many other mmo's. Staying away from the forums for the most part, the ingame community (on the server im on anyway) is actually shaping up to be one of the best I've had in an mmo in years. Maybe its since I'm on a pve server and that weeds out some of the "asshatery" but I've thus far enjoyed the game and community as a whole.

Now the forums, thats a whole different story. Can't find to many posts not littered with trolls but who knows, the 30 days free play will be up for many soon so we'll see whats left over after that.

I played AoC since release and i got bored really fast. The first 20 lvls were great then it just got boring fast. Anyone else finding the same thing?

My initial thoughts on AOC:

I'm a bit bored already.. and haven't even made it to 20 yet.

There is lots of eye candy and the combat system is fun.. but...

Things I don't like:

- Heavy instancing (a la GuildWars)

- Lousy controls and control customization - especially for lefties or those w/ more than 3 button mice. (almost typed 'mouses'.. hehe - need more coffee!)

- Small, confining maps (so far) - very linear feeling ---- I want total freedom in a sandbox world.. (DarkFall!) I don't feel I have that here - I might once off Tortuga, though.

- It reminds me a lot of GuildWars, which I never liked. - Plus a graphics upgrade and Minus overused bloom effects.

- I enjoy the mature setting, but I wish they would put in the Nudity toggle they were originally going to (client side) so I don't have to alt+tab when my kids are in the room and some dumb, idiot clan of topless women runs by. They did put in a client side Gore filter, thankfully - I don't use it, but I'm glad it is an option.

- The game feels very much like a Console game to me - I hear they are going to release it on the XBox 360 - which explains why it feels 'dumbed down' for the console folks.

- I hear a number of hardcore folks have hit the level cap already - and did so only days or a week after launch. How fun can that be in the long run?

--- I'm pretty happy with LOTRO for now and will spend most of my time there. I had a PC meltdown recently, but I'm up and running again finally. I don't think I will continue after the 30 free days of AoC.

I picked up AoC a few days ago and have managed to play a couple toons, my highest to level 16 or so. So this is just first impressions.

- Combat is fun. The melee attacks and combos make WoW and other "auto attack" MMOs feel like child's play. I like it.

- Casting is basically the same here as it is anywhere.

- The game is fun so far, and the island of Tortage is a very well rounded experience. The areas are big enough to feel daunting to run across, yet small enough you don't spend all day running from A to B. Graphics, sound, and music is top of the line. Quests and storylines are solid and fairly rewarding. So far I haven't gotten a lot of fed-ex and kill creature type quests. They feel well mixed and diverse.

- I like the DD/RPG style base skills... perception, climbing, run speed, casting concentration. It's a cool concept. One thing I hate about WoW is the complete lack of character customization. X class always gets Y skills and all you can do to control it is talents. AoC has feats (talents like WoW basically) and then the core skills. I really wish I could distribute my own attributes too. Oh well.

- I played GW for a long time, and I don't find this game to be too similar to it. There is instancing, but not quite as bad as GW was about it. Instancing is pretty good, but I felt GW overdid it. It feels lesser in AoC.

- I like the adult themes. People are pretty immature about it and run around naked all the time, but yeah, that's life. Once the newness wears off, it'll die down a little.

- The game is pretty. It's not as pretty as it's been hyped up to be, but it is a large step up from WoW and other current MMOs. I'd say LOTRO is on par with it, but it's still superior. The human animations and textures are pretty amazing. The animals are pretty sad. WoW, I think, does animal animations the best I've ever seen.

- Good music, good sounds. High quality, as to be expected.

- Great story line for Tortage. I hear once you get out in the world the strength of the quests and storyline dies down. Even so, this is a much better 1-20 game than WoW ever could hope to be. LOTRO does the newbie levels good as well. I feel AoC aces it, though.

- The game is stable and the server is stable. It's not even month since release and I've had no issues. The only client-crash issues I had were very self inflicted (running hacked BIOS and flashing for motherboards you don't actually own can do this). Since I reverted back to a good BIOS, no crashes or glitches.

- It does take a very beefy computer to run well. My computer is not far from top of the line, and I'd like to see some FPS increases. I hear disabling shadow cures all, I haven't done this yet.

- I suppose there are many bugs, but I really have yet to come across one. Then again, according to the community, tortage is awesome and amazing, but everything after it is lack luster. I guess I'll post a follow up as I get to play more.

With a new baby and important HJ tasks to take care of, it could be some time!

I've no intent to play it not even when it goes to trial which it will soon no doubt. It's good to hear at least some good things but that appears to be purely playstyle matters. In the games we play all we get are the utterly disgruntled players telling us the horrors or downfalls of the game.

Just picked the game up. So far enjoying it a good bit (only lvl 8 atm). Ended up on the Dagoth server, which I am thankful for as I've heard of excessive griefing going on in the PvP servers.

Back