Aion: The Tower of Eternity

http://www.ncsoft.com/eng/ncgames/aion_intro.asp

This looks rather pretty, and interesting! NCsoft has some interesting titles lol, their all so different, and I am definantly following this one. Anyone else interested?

Oh and before anyone thinks it'll be a grind MMO, they already stated AION won't be one of those ridiculous grind games (Like Lineage 2) but it will follow more in the steps of WoW, and the newer games coming out with Quests and stuff.

Going to take 2 years to level cap and it's going to lack on content, so getting to that level cap means doing the same thing over and over. I garauntee it.

It's pretty obviously a korean game. :/ It looks fantastic, and the whole flying thing is neat. But all korean games are massive grinds. -_-

innociv said:
Going to take 2 years to level cap and it's going to lack on content, so getting to that level cap means doing the same thing over and over. I garauntee it.

It's pretty obviously a korean game. :/ It looks fantastic, and the whole flying thing is neat. But all korean games are massive grinds. -_-

From what I've read there isn't any evidence to support that claim. There is talk about innovative leveling systems that specifically will not be a grind. And I also read about it being a Korean/US cooperative project which tosses things in the air a bit. There appear to be some genuine innovations at work in this game such as all of your actions and interactions affecting your character's future experiences.

PC Games, Wikis, Cheats, Walkthroughs, News, Reviews & Videos - IGN

I'm not going to point any fingers, but I'm getting sick of people complaining about grinding. Everyone mmorpg has its own pace. The only way anything could be considered a "grind" is if your use to something progressing a little faster. It's purely an opinion related statement. People complain about CoX, lineage 2, and WoW, when actually all of them move at a very nice speed. Don't get me wrong, I love to get 10'ish levels a day from a hardcore, non stop grind, but there are times when it's best just to sit down in some random city and just chillax.

Not to derail the OP.... but ... lol

I hate grinding! Which is why I don't do it. That is... if you mean grinding: hardcore xping, usually non-stop for long periods.

If you mean grinding: The requirement of acquiring levels, no matter if you're casual or hardcore.
Well then yes, that can suck too ~~~ IF ~~~the game is boring. Gimme an interesting world, with lots of challenging encounters and AI and I'm happy, rarely even notice the xp bar isn't moving worth a damn.

Prob is, nearly all mmo's out there seem to love boring worlds and lackluster challenges from lvl 1 to oohh ten lvls below the top level of game. That makes for a grind in my eyes. And an option. Don't play. So I don't. ;)

Oh and... Aion has been on their list of dev for over 2 years now. Three if I remember correctly. I'll probably try it just for the chance to explore a game world so interesting looking.

And because it has flying, which I've always thought that the game that can pull off a flying, arial world would have it's nitch secured.

Play DAoC, you'll see grind. Move on to WoW, you won't think there's grind... until you listen to everyone that thinks there is, and you take on that same thought process, then move onto Game "x", and there's even less grind... then people will complain that there is grind, and you'll take that to heart, and have to find another game again.

As WM said, it's a state of mind. What people consider grinding is not truly a static definition. Some folks find quests that say "kill 10 orc's" to be a grind, when in DAoC, you'd be damn lucky if there were any quests at all to go and get XP from. There, you have XP dungeons... go kill 50 mobs of three varieties, and come back, repeat 20 times... then ding. Rinse. Repeat.

THAT'S grinding. WoW, is far from grinding. But, it *is* a different type of grinding depending on your idea of what grinding is. I swear most WoW players consider *ANYTHING* between levels 1-59 to be grind, since all they want to do is level cap and raid.

Ya know... raiders are a gaming minority, not everyone wants to raid... some folks dread hitting level 60 in WoW (specifically myself in the least).

LOL

What you just said to not be a grind is what we consider a boring xping (grind, what-have-ya).

It took a month of constant play to get to top in WoW. It takes two weeks in Daoc. One week now that they've xp bonuses in outdoor zones and no down times. I'm not up on how Wow has changed in the last year but Daoc isn't the same game it was even six months ago.

Biggest hard to xp game I know of, L2. I'd say EQ but they've xp zones and potions and blah blah so it's not hard to get to at least 60 now days. But hey, L2 might have them now too. *shrug*

Yeah, definitely a state of mind.

I'm not saying WoW doesn't have grinding. I do consider it a grind to go through many of the same quests over and over again when I switch characters... I am an alt-a-holic.. but I think it's a different type of Grind than DAoC.

In regards to DAoC, yeah, I left about 4 months ago cuz it just wasn't the same. It's all about hitting level cap, and nothing in between... and in my opinion WoW is the worst at that with all the raiding in end game.

Now unless things have changed with this game or maybe I may be mistaken also but this isn't your typical mmo in where you see tons of ppl online and get groups blah blah blah.

Last I had heard anyway is its all instance and at the time (this was a couple months ago) they didn't know if they were going to implement common area's or not but you would log on and find a party of max size 8 and go around and kill baddy's. But anyways like with all pretty mmo's their will be next to no char customization in this either.

But like i said been a couple months since I had been following this. Pretty yes but no real depth.

Oh and there were only going to be about 10 quests in game or something, they were planning on making them long but if ur into variety dunno if this is for u.

[EDIT]: Just took another look at it. It's certainly head over heels better than EQ, but hopefully if it turns up around later into 07, I'm sure alot of the issues we see today will have passed. Things like what Cordy pointed out. Right now, people are looking at this the same way they look at all other mmorpgs pre-release. As soon as something new is introduced, it's automatically dubbed a weak point. This game looks beautiful and the setting/story line seem just as wonderful. That's enough for me to try it.

Whats wrong with a good grinding game? I mean lineage2 was pretty bad but it looked nice while you were grinding. I have found that grinding with a friend, is hardly grinding at all... Maybe im just easily amused though :P

I actually enjoy grinding. I'm the kind of guy who refuses to beat a console RPG without maxing out his level first. My only real issue is if the game's not fun to play for that long, in which case I just stop playing and move on to a different game. *SOMETIMES* I'll go back to the first one later and beat it then, but not always.

The thing that bothers me about AION is that if one of the two playable factions (Angels and Demons) gets the upperhand, the third, unplayable faction (Dragons) comes along and puts them in line. Even in individual battles between the two factions, if one side has an advantage, the Dragons show up and take it away. It kind of kills my interest in fighting a war when I know neither side is allowed to win.

Azdel said:
Even in individual battles between the two factions, if one side has an advantage, the Dragons show up and take it away. It kind of kills my interest in fighting a war when I know neither side is allowed to win.

My take on that balance structure is that no one faction should be allowed to totally dominate in an MMO. Everyone knows the angels are going to be more popular than the demons, just as the Alliance vastly outnumbers the Horde in WoW. I've never balked at playing the underdog, but having a balancing force could be a very good thing depending on how it's done. Depending on how much of a PvP game it really is (they call it a PvPvE game on the site) a sense of balance could be critical to everyone having the same possiblities regardless of faction.

Granted we'll have to see how it's all done and I may end up agreeing with you if it's done poorly. The concept, at least, seems feasible to me.

Warhammer (table top) and Daoc got it right. The battle is continuing, there can only be temporary wins because neither side (or no side) will surrender or stop fighting.

If they did... we'd have the end of an mmo. heh

The game most likely will have achievements, like lands to take and hold (usually for a bonus of some sort to your side). There is where the 'wins' come in.

I still like Shadowbane's open ended PVP the best. Ahh, how I do miss my Wrecking Crew.
This game does look interesting but there's only so many of it's type I'll allow on my hard drive at any one time.

Back