Alias and JG in "TV Gal" story

jg and alias are mentioned in a "TV Gal" story on zapit.com. here's the story:

Give everyone alcohol, have a big cheesy dance number, and maybe throw in a streaker for good measure. Let's be honest -- we're going to have to do something drastic to make the Emmy Awards interesting again. I live for this stuff, and I was bored to tears during Sunday's ceremony.
Some questions:

1. How many comedians does it take to make an Emmy show hilarious? Obviously more than 11. Jon Stewart, Ellen DeGeneres, George Lopez and Martin Short were funny. The others? Not so much.

2. Do Evan Marriott and Ben Affleck go to the same tanning salon?

3. What's with all the kissing? Did Matthew Perry actually think it would be funny if he kissed Doris Roberts? It was ridiculous and I was embarrassed for him. No matter how good he looked.

4. Are bangs back in style and, if so, do we approve? Will bangs help us believe that Kim Bauer is now a member of CTU?

5. How does Matthew Broderick look younger every year?

6. Does anyone outside California think jokes about the governor's race are funny?

7. Only five of my 10 predictions were right. Should I stop trying to predict Emmy winners? Seriously, if they're going to give the award to "The West Wing," how can I ever be right? I'm done. I'm out. Until next year, of course.

And now, for some awards of my own:

Worst Comedian Co-Host: Garry Shandling.

Best Acceptance Speech: Tyne Daly.

Worst Loser: I love Peter Boyle, and I wanted him to win too, but he could barely hide his disappointment.

Worst Hair, Female: Why the tiara, Paula Abdul? Do you actually believe you're the new Queen of Pop?

Worst Dressed, Male: John Spencer. A cream-colored tux is right out.

Funniest Acceptance Speech: Steven Schachter and William H. Macy for "Door to Door."

Best Dressed: Didn't Jennifer Garner look fabulous? If I promise to do Pilates every day, can I look like her when I grow up?
Did you find the Emmys boring? Or did you like the show? Talk about it on the TV Gal message board.

It's Raining Shows, Hallelujah

We've waited patiently, and now the week is finally here. With so many shows to choose from, I decided to break this week's crop into three categories: Click It (Three or more VCRs), Skip It (Less than one and a half VCRs) or Not Yet Sure About It (anywhere in between). For a recap of the TV Gal ratings system, check out my column from Sept. 8.

Click It

"Joan of Arcadia" (CBS, 8 p.m. ET Friday): God keeps appearing to teenager Joan Girardi (Amber Tamblyn) in some very familiar personas (cute teenage boy, sassy cafeteria worker) and asking her to do His (or Her) bidding. I know what you're thinking, because I thought it too: "This show is so not for me." But I was wrong. The CBS drama from Barbara Hall ("Judging Amy") is surprisingly poignant, funny and instantly compelling. Four VCRs.

"Miss Match" (NBC, 8 p.m. Friday): Ah, cruel TV schedule, why must you mock me by pitting two of the best dramas of the new season against each other? Alicia Silverstone returns to her charming "Clueless" persona as matchmaker/divorce attorney Kate Fox. The light-hearted drama from executive producer Darren Star is like "Sex and the City" with less sex and more actual dating mishaps. And don't forget that we'll be seeing Charisma Carpenter in episode two (I've seen it. She's great.). How much do we love the guest casting on this series? As much as you are going to love "Miss Match." I promise. Four VCRs.

"I'm With Her" (ABC, 8:30 p.m. Tuesday): Who knows if this series about a movie star (Teri Polo) who falls for a school teacher (David Sutcliffe, Christopher on "Gilmore Girls") has enough good stuff to make it funny for the entire season. But both stars are charming and the pilot made me giggle. Three VCRs.

"The Handler" (CBS, 10 p.m. Friday): Another show I thought would be ridiculous, but this series about FBI agents who go undercover to bust up crimes was quite gripping. Plus it reunites "Sopranos" stars Joe Pantoliano and Lola Glaudini (who played an undercover agent on the HBO series). Three and a half VCRs.

"The Lyon's Den" (NBC, 10 p.m. Sunday): What would happen if the movie "The Firm" had actually been good? It might have looked a little like this series about a law firm where everything is not as it appears. The show is dark, mysterious and about as far away from "The West Wing" as Rob Lowe could possibly get. Plus I already told you that the playing-against-type Kyle Chandler is positively fabulous. Four VCRs.

Not Yet Sure About It

There's way too much going on this week to waste precious time reviewing these mediocre shows. Maybe they'll get better in time. I promise to talk more about them (if they're still around) in the coming weeks. Here's a quick take:

"Hope & Faith" (ABC, 9 p.m. Friday): Two VCRs.
"Two and a Half Men" (CBS, 9:30 p.m. Monday): Two and a half VCRs.
"Navy NCIS" (CBS, 8 p.m. Tuesday): Two and a half VCRs.
"Las Vegas" (NBC, 10 p.m. Monday; moves to 9 p.m. next week): Two and a half VCRs.
"10-8" (ABC, 8 p.m. Sunday): Two and a half VCRs.

Skip It

"One Tree Hill" (The WB, 9 p.m. Tuesday): I've already made the general announcement (you got that memo, right?) that it is slim pickings as far as new shows go at The WB this season. I keep waiting for a frog of a show to turn into a prince, but no luck. And this dud staring perennially pouty Chad Michael Murray is even worse than "Fearless," the show it replaced. But I don't blame Murray (you know I loved him on "Gilmore Girls"), I blame a really bad script. One VCR.

"The Brotherhood of Poland, New Hampshire" (CBS, 10 p.m. Wednesday): Let the dream go, David. One VCR.

"Cold Case" (CBS, 8 p.m. Sunday): I know I'm in the minority here, but I can't tell you how much Kathyrn Morris bugged me as Detective Lilly Rush. Two VCRs.

"Coupling" (NBC, 9:25 p.m. Thursday): Just a general word of advice to the networks: If you want to push the envelope with bawdy, risque humor, please don't forget that the show actually has to be funny. This show is worth checking out just to see Lindsay Price (Janet on "90210") play a completely different character. But after that, you can do your dishes while waiting for "ER" to start. One VCR.

What do you think of this week's new shows? Talk about it on the TV Gal message boards.

To the TV Gal Reader Belong the Spoils

You know the rules. Don't read if you don't want to know.

Carly Pope, who was in "Popular" with Christopher Gorham, guest stars as a computer hacker on the Wednesday, Oct. 1 episode of "Jake 2.0."

Marcia Cross arrives in "Everwood" on Monday, Sept. 29. She'll want to join her brother's (Dr. Abbott) practice. Don't forget that Dr. Brown will soon be smitten.

Look for Dr. Pratt to flirt with newcomer Parminder Nagra on the season premiere of "ER" (NBC, 10 p.m. Thursday). Maybe he loved her in "Bend It Like Beckham" too. Also by the end of the episode, Dr. Carter will find himself heading back into the Congo.

Carol and Ed finally get to know each other in the biblical sense on the season premiere of "Ed" (NBC, 8 p.m. Wednesday). And everybody hears Rachel and Joey getting busy on the season premiere of "Friends" (NBC, 8 p.m. Thursday).

So I've seen the season premiere of "The West Wing," and you can definitely tell that John Wells is in charge. The opening feels very "ER"-ish, with the White House offices taking the place of operating rooms. Because the season left off with Zoey's kidnapping (and we find out that her French boyfriend was involved. I told you he was up to no good), the season premiere is not exactly a happy hour. The president has stepped down, Zoey may be dead, and the country finds out about the attack on the head of Qumar. With such a downer of an episode, it's difficult to tell how the show is going to fare without Aaron Sorkin.

The third-season premiere of "Alias" (ABC, 9 p.m. Sunday) is called "The Two." Look for Sydney to really show Vaughn how she feels about the fact that he's married. Sark is in CIA custody, Vaughn has left the CIA, Jack's in a bad place emotionally and Sloane seems to be playing for the good guys. Look for Amanda Foreman (Megan on "Felicity") to return as Carrie in the first episode and Melissa George to appear as Vaughn's wife in episode two. That's also the episode that will find Vaughn back at the CIA, but not back in Sydney's arms (sigh).

Daniel Benzali returns as James Sinclair in the second episode of "NYPD Blue." Remember, he has quite a history with Andy. Also, John's honey-loving girlfriend will be around for awhile. Poor Rita.

Dylan McDermott will guest star as Will's new love interest on "Will & Grace." Let's cross our fingers that this means Will might actually get some on-screen action.

Okay, I've also seen the first two episodes of "Angel," which premieres Wednesday, Oct. 1. I thought the first episode was okay, and the second episode was fabulous. Just take a guess which one blondie bear is in. The first episode is a little awkward, since the series is busy setting up its new premise and dealing with the fact that Cordy and Connor are no longer around. I'm not sure if I totally buy the new premise, but I'm clear on two things - the Eve character is beyond annoying (cancel her fast), and I never want to see the gang in a courtroom again. The stuff with Spike (or Casper, as Captain Forehead calls him) is excellent, since it plays into the mythology and history both "Angel" and "Buffy" have been building for seven years.

Highlights of the Week Ahead
All times listed are Eastern Time for Sept. 22-28

Please be advised that basically every show (except for the ones on FOX) premieres this week, so set your TiVo and have your VCR ready.

Ray and Debra go golfing together on the eighth season premiere of "Everybody Loves Raymond" (CBS, 9 p.m. Monday). Let me be the first to say that a spin-off show, sans Raymond and featuring Debra as a single mom, is completely preposterous and is a show I won't watch. I would, however, watch a Robert spin-off. Owing to his brief holdout, Brad Garrett won't be in the premiere. He and Amy return from their honeymoon next week. Bai Ling guest stars as a double agent on "Jake 2.0" (UPN, 9 p.m. Wednesday).

I'm really just looking for a little clarification here. Is being a scout troop leader a full-time job? I'm not sure if I care about the new "Survivor: Pearl Islands" (CBS, 8 p.m. Thursday) yet, do you?

Anyone want to place a bet on how long before "Will & Grace" (NBC, 8:50 p.m. Thursday) makes a reference to "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy"? I'm thinking it could happen in this episode.

"Without a Trace" (CBS, 10 p.m. Thursday), one of the best new shows last season, returns for a second season. Look for upcoming guest stars like James Remar (Samantha's boyfriend Richard on "Sex and the City"), Jessalyn Gilsig (the "Boston Public" teacher who recently bedded Christian on "Nip/Tuck") and Hector Elizondo. In the premiere, an entire school bus disappears.

That's all for today. I'll be back next Monday with reviews of "Tarzan" (He Tarzan, me no like), "Karen Sisco," "Married to the Kellys" and "It's All Relative." Have a question, seen a familiar face, have an inside scoop or want to nominate a quote of the week? Write me at amytvgal@zap2it.com by clicking on my byline at the top of my column.

thanks for th e article... it not aonly gave me news about alis but about will and grace too.. ehhe.. and yes couopking does suck

miss_nancee said:
"not in vaughns arms"....='(...so sad....so so so sad...
At least he'll be back in the CIA! so that's kinda saying that he wants to be near Sydney more, maybe they'll get back together later on in the season.

Alias in another "TV Gal" story:

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) - We now return to our regularly scheduled column.

Between the Emmys and all the new shows premiering, there hasn't been much space for some regular TV Gal features. So here we go:

Quotes of the Week

"Michael Vaughn is just a boy who was never good enough for you." Jack to Sydney on "Alias." You tell her, Jack.
"When we get to St. Bart's, I'm buying myself an e.p.t. and so help me if that stick is blue, I am not going through this alone. Not again." Jack after he and Will spent the night in the same bed on "Will & Grace." So what do we think of the idea of Will and Jack being secretly in love with each other?

"Ross and Charlie? Wow, she's really making her way through the group, huh? Oh, who am I to talk?" Rachel to Joey on "Friends."

"Molly, this isn't 'Sex in the City.' It's my life and it's falling apart," Carol to Molly on "Ed." Molly later corrected Carol that the show's title is "Sex and the City."

"If my wife calls tell her I'm with my girlfriend," Ray after kissing Debra on the golf course on "Everybody Loves Raymond." The best thing the show did in its season premiere was remind viewers that Ray and Debra really still love each other.

"If he starts in on me, I swear I'm going to cut off the other arm," Susan about Dr. Romano on "ER."

"I don't eat buffalo," Jessica Simpson when she's offered a buffalo wing on "Newlyweds." That's almost better than the whole "is chicken of the sea really tuna" confusion. Thanks to TV Gal reader Dalis for the quote.

Where Have I Seen Them Before?

Kate Mara, who played Matt's girlfriend Vanessa on "Nip/Tuck" and Katie last season on "Everwood," was the teenager who was murdered years ago on the series premiere of "Cold Case."

Ben Weber played the high school guidance counselor on "Everwood." He was one of Miranda's boyfriends during the first season of "Sex and the City" and also starred in the movie "The Broken Hearts Club."

Yancey Arias, Miguel Cadena on "Kingpin," was Ramone, the brother who killed a model on "CSI: Miami."

Alexander Chaplin, James on "Spin City," was the lawyer who wouldn't reveal where the bodies were buried on "Law & Order."

Paul Wasilewski, who played Lex's brother on "Smallville" and Ryan's trouble-making co-worker on "The O.C.," was Damien on "8 Simple Rules to Dating My Teenage Daughter."

Her hair was brown instead of blonde but that was Katherine LaNasa playing lawyer Yvonne Dunbar on "Judging Amy." How do we know LaNasa? Let me count the ways. She dated Nick on "The Guardian," was Connie's sister on "NYPD Blue" and hooked up with Luka in a supply closet on "ER."

Adrian Pasdar (Mr. Natalie Maines) is the new ADA David McClaren on "Judging Amy." (And if you can't already tell that he's going to come between Amy and Stu, you need to be watching more television.) Pasdar is probably best remembered as the title character in the short-lived FOX series "Profit." But he also starred with Rae Dawn Chong in the series "Mysterious Ways."

And tell me you caught Reichen, half of the winning team of "Amazing Race," as the handsome man borrowing sugar on "Frasier."

New Shows This Week

This is the last of the bunch until FOX premieres its new shows at the end of October.

"It's All Relative" (Wednesday, ABC, 8:30 p.m.): I love Lenny Clarke. He was the best thing about the cancelled-way-before-its-time "The Job." And I really like Harriet Sansom Harris, who was hilarious as Frasier's high-strung agent Bebe. But neither is done justice by this lame ABC sitcom. (Two VCRs)

"Karen Sisco" (Wednesday, ABC, 10 p.m.): Carla Gugino takes over the role Jennifer Lopez played in the movie "Out of Sight" in this ABC drama. I liked the show and I loved Robert Forster as Karen's father Marshall. I'm particularly delighted by the fact that Patrick Dempsey (still smitten by his performance in "Lucky Seven") will soon be guest starring. The whole show may be worth watching just for the card game where Marshall and his cronies give Karen romantic and professional advice. "Karen Sisco" also airs in a time slot when I have no other TV commitments, so I'm giving the show a chance. (Three VCRs).

"Married to the Kellys" (Friday, ABC, 8:30 p.m.): Trust me, you'll want to be divorced from the Kellys very, very soon. Poor Breckin Meyer. (One VCR)

"Tarzan" (Sunday, WB, 9 p.m.): Hunky Travis Fimmel stars as the King of the Jungle who is transplanted to New York City by his evil uncle Richard Clayton (Mitch Pileggi). There he meets Detective Jane Porter (Sarah Wayne Callies), who in true WB fashion is pretty, dating the wrong guy, and desperately in need of a good rescue. At the crux of the series is the star-crossed romance between Tarzan and Jane, which I didn't care about after the first hour. Maybe things will pick up next week when Lucy Lawless joins the cast as Tarzan's aunt. A little Xena never hurt anyone. (One and a half VCRs).

Question of the Week

Who looks sillier with a beard -- Jack Bristow or Gil Grissom?

The Television Scene of the Week

Sydney, shaking with rage, refusing to give Vaughn closure on the season premiere of "Alias." I think Sydney spoke for all of us when she said, "Are you kidding me?"

To the TV Gal Reader Belongs the Spoils

You know the rules. Don't read if you don't want to know.

Lucy catches Chandler kissing another woman on "7th Heaven." Tyler Hoechlin makes his first appearance on Monday, Oct. 6. Kevin is attacked by a woman and Rabbi Glass worries that his wife is cheating on him. As a side note, does anybody else wonder how they are going to keep Ashlee Simpson on the show after Simon says goodbye? I'm mostly concerned because I want to keep Jessica's sister as far away from "Newlyweds" as possible.

Sarah Lancaster, who we last saw flirting with J.D. as the gift shop clerk on "Scrubs," guest stars as the college student who cares for Delia on "Everwood." Colin's father will turn to alcohol as a way of dealing with his son's death.

Poor sexy Lexy won't know if it was his wife or his father who set him up to die on "Smallville."

Sydney and Vaughn will work together for the first time on Sunday, Oct. 12. By the way, I'm going with the theory that Sydney was some sort of Manchurian Candidate like assassin during her two missing years.

Vanessa Marcil, who was let go from "NYPD Blue" a couple seasons ago, returns to reprise her role of Detective Olivera on the Tuesday, Oct. 7 episode.

Ed will ask Carol to move in with him on "Ed." And Warren is back on Wednesday trying to "punk" Molly.

Rory will try dating casually on "Gilmore Girls." Remember she's always been in very serious relationships. She'll meet a guy in the laundry room who will turn her down when she asks him out for lunch. The utter nerve. Also Lorelai and Luke will watch "Casablanca" together and Luke will fall asleep on Lorelai's couch. Don't look for anything to happen though. Remember Lorelai is getting a serious boyfriend this season in the form of Chris Eigeman, Richard's new business partner.

Highlights of the Week Ahead
All times listed are Eastern Standard Time for Sept. 29 to Oct. 5

Robert and Amy return from their honeymoon on "Everybody Loves Raymond" (Monday, CBS, 9 p.m.) and Marie won't stop bugging them about their thank you notes. Next week one of the Sawyer twins will get a plot line of his own when Michael doesn't want to go to school. And if I could just take a moment to commend the show for never having the twins speak simultaneously.

Of all the shows that premiered last week, you all thought I misjudged "Two and a Half Men" (Monday, CBS, 9:30 p.m.) the most. So I'll be watching Duckie and Charlie Sheen again this week and giving the show a second shot. How can I not? The series also stars Marin Hinkle, the wonderful Judy from "Once & Again."

Faith's life hangs in the proverbial balance on the season premiere of "Third Watch" (Monday, CBS, 10 p.m.) Since Molly Price is easily the best thing about this mediocre drama, it's a safe bet she survives.

I'm already depressed that "Fastlane" was cancelled (no, I'm not over it, sympathy cards are still welcome), but to add insult to injury, Tiffani Thiessen begins her guest starring stint on "Good Morning, Miami" this week (Tuesday, NBC, 9:31 p.m.). My gal Val so deserves to be on a better show.

So I was thinking while watching the season premiere of "NYPD Blue" (Tuesday, ABC, 10 p.m.) -- could this be the season that Rita and Lt. Rodriguez get together?

It's the season premiere of "Angel" (Wednesday, WB, 9 p.m.). Remember I liked next week's episode much better than this week's. And I'm looking for someone to start a petition to tell the show to dump Eve (Sarah Thompson). Her character simply doesn't work.

Giovanni Ribisi (who can also currently be seen in the movie "Lost in Translation," a movie worth seeing) returns as Phoebe's brother Frank, Jr. on "Friends" (Thursday, NBC, 8 p.m.). Good to know that even though we haven't seen him in forever, he's still been taking care of the triplets. Also look for Ross to get drunk at a dinner party with Rachel, Joey, and Charlie.

Scott Foley returns for the first of six episodes as Elliot's old boyfriend Sean on the season premiere of "Scrubs" (Thursday, NBC, 8:32 p.m., why all the late starts NBC?).

Mira Sorvino guest stars as Leo's ex-girlfriend and the only woman Will ever slept with on "Will & Grace" (Thursday, NBC, 9 p.m.) Too bad she's not guest-starring as the woman who steals Leo away from Grace.

CBS will be the first to tell you that last week was "ER's" least watched premiere ever. "Without a Trace" (Thursday, CBS, 10 p.m.) only trailed the veteran drama by six million viewers. My benchmark of "ER's" waning popularity? The fact that only a handful of people wrote me to find out if Luka is actually dead. My guess is no. Goran Visnjic has two more years left on his contract and the show seems to be trying a little too hard to convince us the he's dead. This week (Thursday, NBC, 10 p.m.), Dr. Carter returns to the Congo to search for Luka's body while the good doctor is shown in flashbacks fighting malaria.

Jack Black hosts the season premiere of "Saturday Night Live" (NBC, 11:30 p.m.). I'm betting on spoofs of "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy," Hurricane Bennifer, and the recall election in California. Also, look for a new opening credit sequence. On Oct. 11, Justin Timberlake is the host and musical guest (Will Cameron Diaz be in the audience?). The next week (Oct. 18) it's Halle Berry with Britney Spears (they've both had pretty famous television kisses in the last year).

Personally, I think "The Practice" (Sunday, ABC, 10 p.m.) would have been better off if they had never added James Spader or Rhona Mitra. Sharon Stone arrives this week to try to drum up ratings for the flailing series.

John Rubenstein (who we saw last season on "The Guardian" and "Angel") guest stars as the father of a murdered teenager on "The Lyon's Den" (Sunday, NBC, 10 p.m.)

Back