Alias at 8:00 PM on THURSDAY during Season 5?!?

sugababyboo said:
Of course you two are on the same page, both of you are fantabulous :D  ;)
[post="1345096"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

I was just waiting for you to say ...

"ofcourse you 2 are on the same page ... you are writing on page 4 ... " :lol:

There is a way to let ABC know how you feel about Alias getting moved - e-mail them or post a message on the network's Alias message board.

aww w00t! Supernanny will be back! :lol:

haha but yeah, i'm really happy Alias is in the fall, and i really think Alias can beat out Survivor, it's not as popular now...... the OC might be a problem though eventhough i gave up on that show this season :P

nataliethealiasfreak said:
aww w00t! Supernanny will be back! :lol:

haha but yeah, i'm really happy Alias is in the fall, and i really think Alias can beat out Survivor, it's not as popular now...... the OC might be a problem though eventhough i gave up on that show this season  :P
[post="1345506"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

I think Survivor is much more of a problem. They are always in the top 10 in ratings.

After reading everything that's been posted, I've decided that there are two options for me. I can either have a major freak-out and worry all summer long about Alias and if it's going to be cancelled after the 5th season, etc. or I can relax and look forward to an exciting 5th season because I've heard some good stuff about it and it sounds great. I choose the latter because my nerves can't handle the former wihtout a little help and I'm not about to take up drinking.

Last year I would have picked the OC over Alias because the OC had a brilliant first season, while Alias had a so-so third season, but this year the OC sucks and Alias is on the rise, so I will definitely stick with Alias.

Of course I'm still hoping Fox moves the OC, so I can watch both.

Yeah. you know, fox might do that, since, I don't care what you say, Alias AND The OC pose a considerable threat to each other. The only cause I could see for the fifth season being the last is The OC causing Alias's ratings to go down exponentionally. They would have to spike down incredibly. I just don't see it happening. Alias's ratings once were VERY VERY BAD, and it's still survived. I think it'll last for a sixth season as well.

Don't lose faith. And I suggest not just saying out of the blue "the fifth season will be the last" when NO ONE can confirm that, ESPECIALLY at this point in time. We'll find out that intel around mid-fifth season, when we see what ABC renews and cancells for the '06-'07 season.

Jamison said:
I felt the move to Wednesdays was smart.  And I felt that having it start in January was also smart.  This move to Thursdays at 8, is not smart.
[post="1345001"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

I completely second that. This is VERY not smart. Lost already has amazing ratings, what more do you want?? Wednesday slot is perfect for Alias! As great as Alias is, the reason we've been getting such a ratings boost is because of Lost. I know we should have faith in our favorite show, but I doubt Alias can stand on its own...

But we shouldn't lose all hope. Are we 100% sure this move is happening?

Julesters said:
I completely second that. This is VERY not smart. Lost already has amazing ratings, what more do you want?? Wednesday slot is perfect for Alias! As great as Alias is, the reason we've been getting such a ratings boost is because of Lost. I know we should have faith in our favorite show, but I doubt Alias can stand on its own...

But we shouldn't lose all hope. Are we 100% sure this move is happening?
[post="1346277"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Yes it is happening ... ;)

ABC, WB Take a Shot at Thursdays

NEW YORK (Zap2it.com)
NBC executives insist that if "Joey" were anything other than a "Friends" spinoff holding down the latter show's old timeslot, it would be considered a solid hit in its freshman season.

There is some truth to that -- the show averaged 10.6 million viewers in its first season, more than any other new sitcom on the air. But it's also true that the show's ratings were well below what "Friends" historically delivered. Because of that, Thursday nights next season will become a lot more crowded.

Barring a sudden, "Next Joe Millionaire"-like wave of apathy about "Survivor," CBS will most likely remain the Thursday-night leader next season, as its top-rated lineup -- "Survivor," "CSI" and "Without a Trace" -- remains intact. But the race for second, particularly among young viewers, could be a cutthroat one.

With NBC down, and having seen that FOX's "The O.C." survived its move to Thursdays this season, ABC and The WB will both aggressively court audiences on Thursdays next season -- something neither has done in recent years. Each is moving an established show with a loyal fan base to the 8 p.m. hour: "Alias" for ABC and "Smallville" for the Frog. The WB is also moving "Everwood" to 9 p.m. Thursdays, while ABC will follow "Alias" with "The Night Stalker," its remake of the 1970s cult favorite.

"Thursday is not necessarily the fortress it was years ago," says Garth Ancier, chairman of The WB. "... We see an opportunity there, and it's best to take advantage of it with signature shows."

Both Ancier and ABC Entertainment president Steve McPherson use the phrase "being in business" on Thursdays, and it's an apt one. Thursday is one of the biggest nights of the week for advertisers, as movie studios hype their next-day releases and retailers try to entice viewers to go shopping over the weekend.

Assuming that "The O.C." remains on Thursday, though (FOX has yet to unveil its 2005-06 schedule), there will be four shows chasing second place in the ad-friendly adults 18-49 demographic -- and the smaller adults 18-34 and teenage groups -- at 8 p.m. And given the media scrutiny that the night's ratings receive, whichever network gets the short end of those ratings will do so very publicly. Just ask the people at "Joey."

So, if ABC believes in the show ... I will too ... so now, lets just get people to know about the move and follow the show ... ;)

Yesterday, I was mad as hell ... but today I am thinking as an ABC executive, and the move is good ... lets just keep watching people ... ;)

That would be a great night to watch Alias, but it is going to have to fight with Survivor because they are bringing a new season of it back on. So Alias will have to compete with Survivor for a few months until Survivor has its finale. Of course there are the shows on NBC that it has to compete with also, like Joey and Will & Grace. I'm just saying maybe its not such a good idea to put it on Thursdays.

I think the general consensus is that this is not a good plan. Even though ABC has enjoyed some solid success this year, I think moving one show twice in two years is a terrible idea. I remember back in the days when I used to watch Party of Five, it was on Wednesdays (I think) and it stayed that way for the entire run. I don't understand why it can't stay that way. I mean, if they are going to go and move shows around, they should do it with the MONSTER hits like DH and Lost, not the moderate ones like Alias. Anyway, I will watch Alias no matter where it goes, but I'm really annoyed and upset by this decision. I've heard from a friend and the local ABC affiliate network that they think this will be the end of Alias being moved again... and I tend to agree. But I'm also hoping that the show sustains and is able to recover.

I don't like this move either....All this moving around might mean ABC is just keeping it around to fill in time slots :thinking:...

Well if we all want Alias to stay around then we need to do something about it right? If you have friends that watch The O.C. and Alias urge them to watch Alias and record The O.C., if they want to see more Alias in the future anyway. Also, if you are one of the many people who now has to record Alias make sure your TV is on while it's recording (or have whoever is recording it for you make sure it is on), thes will help keep the ratings up, especially since we are all regular watchers of the show and the last thing it will need is for us to not watch it "live."

My Personal Opinion: I'm pretty hopeful, Will and Grace and Joey generally don't do too well. I don't think the competition with Survivor will be much different than the competition that Alias faced this year with American Idol. And have any of you ever seen Smallville? -Lame! Really terrible acting in the same Superman storyline that has been around forever! The WB has seemed to have some of the lowest ratings in general anyway this past year. Lastly, The O.C. - I know that I wil certainly be watching Alias.

Has anyone heard anymore about if this year was Will and Grace's last season?

SkyGirl5 said:
ok i just had a minor stroke
but iguess in the end it doesnt matter since its the final season....
and now its up against the oc instead of ai
but god damn it i wanted lost/alias/the catch wednesdays
besides WTF lost was a great alias lead in
[post="1344372"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

I'm not sure if this will be the last season of Will and Grace or not.

Here's an article about E! that talks about the new shows, and focuses on the Thursday night line up.

Handicapping the 2005-06 TV Season
by Kimberly Potts
May 23, 2005, 5:10 PM PT
back to story

That the major TV networks are desperate to snag the advertiser-coveted 18-49 demographic is no surprise.

But now even CBS, once the domain of unhip, older-skewing viewers, is making no pretense: It's all about the under-50 set.

Last week marked the networks' annual advertiser and media upfront presentations, four days of celeb-studded, gimmicky sessions (See UPN President Dawn Ostroff with a big yellow snake around her neck, just like Britney! See CBS honcho Les Moonves, in puppet form, punch a puppet version of NBC honcho Jeff Zucker! See the Desperate Housewives cast arrive glammed out in gowns and furs!) where the nets unveiled their schedules for the tube season ahead.

And it's a quote from CBS's Moonves, explaining why the network pulled the plug on former Friday night hit Joan of Arcadia, featuring a teen who talks to God, in favor of a new drama in which a psychic Jennifer Love Hewitt talks to the dead, that sums up this year's festivities.

"I think talking to ghosts may skew younger than talking to God," explained Moonves, whose top-rated network will likely finish the season just behind Fox in viewers 18-49.

And God, apparently, isn't the only one who gets kicked to the curb in the name of ratings. UPN, CBS' sister station, is pinning its ratings wishes for next season on new Thursday night comedy Everybody Hates Chris, a Wonder Years-type series based on Chris Rock's teen years in Brooklyn.

Rock took the stage at UPN's upfront on Thursday and told the crowd, "Everybody Loves Raymond, Everybody Hates Chris. White man out, black man in. See how it works?"

Jokes aside, UPN is hoping that's exactly how it works, as one of the biggest time slot battles of next season will take place Thursdays at 8 p.m. Rock's show, which will include narration by the former Saturday Night Live star, goes head-to-head with CBS's Survivor, the WB's Smallville, Fox's The O.C., ABC's Alias and NBC's Joey.

"It's a really, really important night for the movie studios, and a ton of money flows into that night with movie advertisements," says Bill Koenigsberg, President and CEO of Horizon Media/New York. "It didn't surprise me that no one was willing to give up ground, that everyone wanted to stick to their guns there, because it's such a huge night. That's where a lot of the dollars are going to fall."

Speaking of the ratings-beleaguered former Friend, poor Joey, which was the buzz of last season's upfronts, took jabs from almost everyone at this year's presentations, including his own network.

"I think its storytelling was very disappointing," NBC's Zucker told the New York Times last week. "There was and continues to be a lot of residual good will toward that character."

Still, NBC, the erstwhile comedy king that is on track to finish this season's ratings race in fourth place, gave Joey another go, pairing it with the increasingly tired Will & Grace as lead-ins for a fourth season of Donald Trump's The Apprentice.

Shows that weren't as lucky when it came to getting the axe included Taye Diggs' Kevin Hill and Star Trek: Enterprise at UPN, CBS' Judging Amy and JAG, the WB's Jack & Bobby (one of last season's most buzzed about new shows), ABC's Eyes and Blind Justice, and NBC's family drama American Dreams.

Among the programming trends for the 2005-06 season:

Lost knock-offs. Insiders were predicting that the networks would roll out a plethora of Desperate Housewives clones for next season, but it's actually ABC's other monster hit that inspired copycats, including NBC's Fathom (scientists investigating mysterious creatures who live in the sea), the WB's Supernatural (brothers who travel around investigating unexplained phenomenon), CBS's Threshold (a team of Navy investigators assembled to investigate an alien spacecraft found in the Atlantic Ocean) and ABC's Invasion (aliens trigger natural disasters while plotting to take over the planet).

CSI knock-offs. If prime-time characters aren't investigating otherworldly type beings next season, they're investigating crimes. The slew of new crime/investigation series include Fox's Bones, about a forensic anthropologist/novelist, and The Gate, about detectives in San Francisco's Deviant Crime Unit; CBS' Criminal Minds, about an elite squad of FBI profilers assigned to especially twisted crimes; and ABC's The Night Stalker, a remake of the '70s drama about a newspaper crime reporter who investigates stories with supernatural twists, and The Evidence, which opens by flashing the evidence in a crime, allowing viewers to follow along and try to solve the case with the cops.

"I'm surprised to see this glut of investigative dramas out there," Koenigsberg says. "You've got Navy SEALs shows and Pentagon shows and crime investigative shows and FBI shows. I think the reason for that is the success of off-network shows to cable, like CSI and Law & Order. There's a significant revenue stream there, with those shows coming out and then switching over to cable, which is a new avenue of profit."

Bold time slot maneuvering. The Thursday at 8 p.m. traffic jam is a bit of scheduling where, unfortunately, at least one or two shows are likely to become ratings casualties. Another time slot making TiVo-ing a necessity: Tuesdays at 9 p.m., home of CBS' The Amazing Race, Fox's House, ABC's Commander-in-Chief and NBC's My Name is Earl and The Office.

And the nets have planned some other risky moves that will prove pure genius or pure disaster next season: Fox surprised many with its renewal of critically beloved comedy Arrested Development, and surprised insiders further by moving the show from Sunday to Monday night at 8. The network also moved aging comedy Malcolm in the Middle from Sundays to the tough Friday night schedule. ABC, meanwhile, swapped Lost from 8 to 9 on Wednesdays, moved Alias to Thursdays and shifted David E. Kelley's Sunday night hit Boston Legal from its cushy post-Desperate Housewives position to Tuesdays at 10, while NBC ousted The West Wing from Wednesday night and moved it to Sundays at 8.

Bruckheimer rules. Still. Jerry Bruckheimer produced four of the top 20 shows this season. As of next season, he will have a record 10 shows on the networks, including six on CBS. Among his new series are his first comedy, the WB's Modern Men, about three single pals who hire a life coach to help them get dates; CBS' Close to Home, about a mom/prosecutor; the WB's Just Legal, a drama about a teen prodigy attorney with a crabby mentor (Miami Vice's Don Johnson); and NBC's E-Ring, a military drama set at the Pentagon and costarring Dennis Hopper and Benjamin Bratt.

Reality TV on life support? Practically since Who Wants to Be a Millionaire helped spark the prime-time reality craze, industry types have been predicting its imminent death. And while the fall schedules for next season still include plenty of unscripted hits--Survivor, The Amazing Race, America's Next Top Model and yet another spin on The Bachelor--Fox, the network known for its reliance on short-term ratings grabbers in the past, has swept such fare out the door. Aside from the Saturday night Cops/America's Most Wanted lineup, Fox has scheduled no reality shows until the next installment of American Idol in January.

Other new series that generated buzz among advertisers at the upfronts: NBC's My Name Is Earl, a sitcom about a petty thief who decides to change his evil ways and make amends with those he's wronged after winning the lottery, and the Martha Stewart-hosted version of The Apprentice; Fox's Headcases, starring Chris O'Donnell as a lawyer who suffers a nervous breakdown, and Prison Break, a drama about an architect who gets himself thrown in jail to help his brother, a prisoner on death row, escape; ABC's Commander-in-Chief, starring Geena Davis as the first female President, and Emily's Reasons Why Not, a comedy starring Heather Graham as a self-help author who can't follow her own advice; and the WB's Twins, a comedy about two sisters (including Roseanne's Sara Gilbert) thrown together to run their family's lingerie business, and Bedford Diaries, a drama from Oz creator Tom Fontana, about students in a human sexuality course at a liberal arts college in New York.

Meanwhile, there were plenty of high-profile pilots that didn't make the cut, including Alias and Lost producer J.J. Abrams' The Catch, an ABC bounty hunter show starring Alias' Greg Grunberg and old-school comedian Don Rickles; NBC's Notorious, starring Tori Spelling in an autobiographical comedy; and Fox's New Car Smell, starring Brooke Shields in a comedy about a used-car dealership, Queen B, a comedy starring Alicia Silverstone, and Windfall, starring Luke Perry in a drama about a group of friends who win the lottery. And one pilot that was looked over by NBC--Old Christine, a comedy with Seinfeld's Julia Louis-Dreyfus as a single mom--was later picked up by CBS for its midseason schedule.

"I was impressed with the new Chris Rock show," says Koenigsberg. "My Name is Earl on NBC is getting an awful lot of good buzz and it seems like it could be a breakthrough hit. Also E-Ring on NBC and Geena Davis as the President on ABC, there are some strong indications that it could be a breakout show as well."

"[But] I don't see the next Friends or Frasier or Seinfeld. I think it was a very safe route in terms of programming development."

And a prediction on that big Thursday at 8 battle?

"I think Survivor will garner the biggest ratings," says Koenigsberg. "And then I think it's going to be a toss-up between Joey and Alias."

He forgot The OC, which I think can beat out Joey hands down...but who knows, maybe he knows something that I don't.

Cause for concern.

That really sums up this time slot and day change.

For those who have commented on what are they thinking, do they want to kill off the show etc, well, certainly looks that way. The ratings drop would give them the excuse they need. And yes, in all honesty, there will be a ratings drop unfortunately.

Here are a few things to take into consideration (something they seemingly aren't)

First up for thurs nights is, no way in the world are they going to compete with the CBS hattrick. that being survivor, csi, and without a trace. This is the ratings leader, and will remain such. Of course, it is only one hour, not three, but, in reality, alias has to compete with two hours (more on that later).

Second of all, it seems everyone wants to try this strategy of 'let's try to cash in on thurs night high ratings'. Problem there is, with everyone doing it, well, that just divides viewers up even further.

Third is what I started to mention above. It is something that networks really don't pay any attention to nor care about. The one hour shift, in times that certain shows have in primetimes. The shift, is the difference between est, ctl, time zones, and pacific. For example, I'll use thurs night. est time lineup is for cbs.. survivor at 8, csi at 9, and WAT at 10. yet, pac time zone is survivor at 7, csi at 8 and wat at 9.

so let's see what that means for a whole lot of viewers. the announced lineup for the upcoming season will have, nbc doing the joey, will/grace from 8-9.... wb will be throwing in one of it's higher ratings shows, smallville (regardless who likes it or doesn't, it does have it's viewership), now abc will toss on alias, at 8-9 also. here is the catch.

on est time, alias will be up against joey/w&g...smallville... and survivor.(and the survivor finale usually comes all of two weeks before the alias finale would come on, so it gets two weeks free of competing against that, in est time zones. ) but out here, in pacific time, the 8-9 slot will be alias against, csi.. along with smallville, joey etc.

and if they(ABC) think that alias, let alone any of the other 8-9 shows have a chance against csi out here of "gaining" viewers due to being on thurs nights... well... then they are really dreaming.

(ps... I have deliberately left out all mention of that fox show etc... because ..well.. I won't even go there lol It's likely gonna start drawing less than joey.)

Who knows..maybe if enough people try and knock errrrr.. write some sense into the network, they might see the folly of their ways. They have a good thing going with the lost/alias combo... hell, move both to fri when nothing is on anymore if they want to avoid the idol results half hour show on wed.

Anyway, that's My rant on this all. I think the move is ridiculous, and that they are playing russian roulette with a really great show that we all enjoy.

I don't care which night of the week it airs. As long as it's on the air is all that matters. When it was on Sunday, half the time I had to videotape it since I wasn't home. This season, I had to videotape it for the first half since I was pre-occupied. Now, as it stands, I don't do anything on Thursday nights. The only show that's a 'threat' is Survivor, whenever it airs, and the only important part of it is who gets voted off the island, which you can catch in the last two minutes/during the credits, or hear about at the office. I've lost interest in that show, so I'm not concerned.
[I still videotape it to watch certain parts again and show to friends who are addicted but don't watch it on the air.]

If ABC wanted to kill the show, they would just pull it. Be thankful that they choose to still air it and keep it going.

may I ask you, when season 4 dvd will reach outside U.S?
I'm outsider fans live in other country, can you help me, I'll appreciate that.
I have to wait for quite long time to watch season 4, oh!!! damn it!

PointBlank said:
Cause for concern.

That really sums up this time slot and day change.

{snip}
[post="1356299"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
Fourth, the 8PM timeslot has a lot more against it than just the other shows. You can fix competition with a ReplayTV or TIVO box. An 8PM timeslot is "family" programming. While it's been toned down this year after JGs back problem, there is a lot of Alias theme and content that belongs at 10PM. It will only take one episode at 8PM with a black bustier for a whole lot of folks who don't care about the show to turn against it. While they wouldn't watch the show anyway, this works to open the door for negative publicity the show doesn't need. Am I worried about that, no, I'm sure the wardrobe folks know better. I'm worried that the show will start to skew older to appear less racey. An older skew can kill a show with good ratings, talk to the Joan of Arcadia folks.

Back