Season 5 Alias Baby

I think her being pregnant on the show will humanize her a bit. I think it is really a good move. we will see =)

:cheers:

I think that having sydney pregnant is a great plot device. There are a lot of things that could happen. I'm glad they have chosen to write Jen's pregnancy in!

I heard something about this might be the last season of alias and is that is the case I think it is great for Syd to have a baby- a happy ending hopefully. But if the plan on continuing the show, I don't think it will be quite as good. It just won't be the same. :blink:

On 'Alias,' the Star Is Now Spying for Two

By JODI KANTOR
Published: October 6, 2005
Tonight's episode of "Alias," the spy drama starring Jennifer Garner, will involve a typical night's work for secret superagent Sydney Bristow: she will pummel a few bad guys, steal some intelligence, nearly be sucked from a speeding airplane. It's routine stuff for the show, but for one thing: both actress and character will have a belly that is visibly, strikingly swollen from its normally taut state.

This season, Sydney becomes perhaps television's most formidable pregnant character to date: a cunning C.I.A. operative who is likely to slip in and out of Pyongyang between obstetrician appointments; the only agent in her unit whose bulletproof vest requires an expandable waistline; and a marvel of endurance who will add childbirth to a résumé of trials that include being tortured and buried alive.

It may not amount to an "Ellen" or a "Murphy Brown" moment, but it's one that says a great deal about what is now permissible on television and during pregnancy. Consider the case of Lucille Ball, still television's most famous example of simultaneous on- and off-screen pregnancy. The storyline was a national sensation, and Lucy's birth episode earned higher ratings than President Dwight Eisenhower's inauguration. And yet pregnancy was still considered such a delicate matter that the network vetted the episodes with religious leaders and advised against using the word "pregnancy" on the air.

Later, impending parenthood became the sturdiest of sitcom plot devices. But many actresses who became pregnant saw their characters subjected to indignities: though Lisa Kudrow's pregnancy was incorporated into the plot of "Friends," when Jane Leeves of "Frasier" started to show with her first pregnancy, her nonpregnant alter ego suffered jokes about sudden weight gain. Characters on action series also met mixed fates. Tyne Daly of "Cagney & Lacey" and Lucy Lawless of "Xena: Warrior Princess" were able to work their pregnancies into their shows, but when Gillian Anderson of "The X Files" became pregnant, Agent Scully wore huge coats and then was whisked away for a gruesome abduction.

By contrast, "Alias" has built an entire season around the blessed event. (And a marketing campaign: The advertisements feature Ms. Garner, one hand protectively on her middle, and the words "Expect More.") When the producers initially found out that Ms. Garner was pregnant, they briefly considered using computers to paste her head on another actress's body, said Jeff Pinkner, an executive producer of the show. Instead, they decided to swing in the far opposite direction, playing the pregnancy for all of its dramatic, physical and comedic possibilities.

Thus last week's season premiere showed Sydney and her fiancé, Michael Vaughn, a fellow agent, finding out about their impending parenthood while fleeing a party with a purloined document; seconds after receiving the doctor's call, they parachuted off a South African seaside cliff. Before the hour was up, Agent Vaughn was gunned down by a shadowy assassin. Now Sydney must avenge his death and protect her baby from those same menacing forces.

To do so will require a rather fantastical approach to what can be an exhausting, nauseating condition. "You can't be rappelling off the side of buildings when you have to go to the bathroom every five minutes," said Amy Spar, 29, a new mother in Chicago and a longtime fan of the show. The writers are making a few concessions to obstetrical reality - for example, Sydney has trouble hoisting herself up after prenatal yoga class. Nor will she be able to slip around incognito anymore.

"When you're pregnant, you're not as anonymous," said Alison Schapker, a supervising producer on "Alias." "For Syd, it will be a sharp contrast with how she usually moves in the world" to "have strangers ask when she's due and want to touch the baby." Instead, Sydney will use the pregnancy as part of her subterfuge, tricking her opponents into believing she's helpless.

The writers do sense a few taboos in depicting a pregnant woman in mortal danger. Sydney will not purposely place herself in harm's way. Like other violently inclined heroines - from Sarah Connor in "Terminator 2" to The Bride in "Kill Bill" - she fights to protect or avenge her family. While she is "by no means going to retire to the office," Mr. Pinkner said, Sydney will focus more on intelligence gathering than physical tasks - at least until she has no choice. And even as she becomes something of a swollen-bellied superheroine, Sydney will mist up over sonogram images and choose cute accessories for her nursery.

What viewers may find most novel and startling about the story is its depiction of pregnancy as a highly seductive state - "active and glam and sexy," in Ms. Schapker's words.

"Sydney has always used her sexuality as a tool to take down the bad guys," Mr. Pinkner said, promising she will use her newfound curves to her professional advantage. "I find pregnant women very sexy, and I don't mean that in an icky way," he added. But some viewers may disagree, said Lynn Spigel, a professor of radio, television and film at Northwestern University. "For anyone who watches the show because they think she's hot, it does become an issue," she said.

What may seem more familiar to viewers is Sydney's commitment to her job. The real C.I.A., in compliance with federal regulations, allows female agents, even those in the most taxing field positions, to work until when they deliver. On the most basic level, Sydney is simply another woman "working through her pregnancy," Ms. Schapker said.

As is Jennifer Garner. The actress married the actor Ben Affleck earlier this year and has since blurted out the baby's gender - it's a girl - on "The Tonight Show With Jay Leno" and traded child-rearing tips on the air with Martha Stewart. (Ms. Garner would not comment for this article.) Given the tabloid coverage of the couple, the public may know too much about Ms. Garner's pregnancy for the show to leave it alone.

The attention seems unlikely to result in high ratings for "Alias," which ABC has moved from a plum spot right after the hit "Lost" to a position opposite CBS's "Survivor," "The O.C." on Fox, and WB's "Smallville." (The season premiere was the lowest-rated yet for the show, finishing third in its time period in total viewers.) But the storyline may give the show some clarity: with characters who regularly switch between being alive or dead (or good or evil) and lots of business about a 15th-century prophecy, it hasn't always been clear what Agent Bristow is fighting for. Now it is. And the baby's father may not be as dead as he seems: Michael Vartan, who plays Agent Vaughn, is "still very much a part of the show," Mr. Pinkner hinted.

After a climactic birth episode - don't expect Sydney to deliver in the safe, scrubbed corridors of Cedars-Sinai, the writers say - the show will take a midseason hiatus. Then Sydney will face a job description perhaps even tougher than expecting spy: new-mother spy. As with the pregnancy storyline, motherhood will allow "Alias" to present an ultra-heightened version of the concerns of regular women, and also to have fun with how a family of spooks might handle a newborn. For instance: Jack Bristow, Sydney's emotionally distant father, may be able to disarm a nuclear weapon, but can he assemble an Ikea crib? Mr. Pinkner said he wasn't sure: after all, for Jack it will be "the first time in 20 years he's used a screwdriver for its actual intended purpose

Oh that artical was great! I'm so excited for tonight. Everytime I see anything sort of official that says there's hope for MV/Vaughn gets me so excited. But then again "official statements" have let me down before...

At first when I heard they might be writing the pregnancy into the new season I was like :o_O:. A baby would totally screw up the dynamic of the show. Which I still believe now, but after what happened to Vaughn I'm glad there's something to sort of keep his character in the show, a sort of constant reminder that he exsisted, cuz sometimes I feel that characters like say Francie are completly forgotten.

Anyway, I still feel like something is going to happen to the baby so it won't stay in the show, which is sad but I feel has to happen so not to slow down the show we love.

Also, how come they were only talking girl names? What if it's a boy? I love Isabel, or Isabelle, but it would be nice if she had a little boy and named him Michael.

girls run in Syd's family though! she has to have a lil spydaughter too!! eventhough it's not really up to that.. we'll never know considering Vaughn was an only child :P

but it HAS to be a SpyDaughter!!! :love:

I'm so glad Syds gonna have the baby before the show goes on hiatus
which I believe is gonna be late November/early december
I thought they might drag her pregnancy out for the entire season
so it will be nice to see the baby in the second half of the season

Back