ALIAS Commercials

Ever since the fifth season of Alias began, the commercials have virtually disappeared. When the season premiere ended, so did the commercials.

So, what's next? Is ABC going to eliminate the previews that are at the end of each Alias episode? Will they do something even worse?

I understand what ABC is doing. They make commercials for new and popular shows (like Lost), and then let older and less-popular shows (like Alias) down by not supporting them.

This makes me think that most of ABC's decisions are based on how many viewers a show has, instead of the quality of the show.

Please give me your opinions on this topic.

-- Josh

yeah, ABC hasnt done much about the promotion for Alias this year ... which is stupid, since thats the thing you need to do to keep people interested in the show ... ;)

Let me just point out this ... I was watching Night Stalker after Alias the past week, and during Night Stalker, which is definitely not a strong show for ABC they had about 3 commercials for "Lost" and about 2 for "Invasion" ... even during "Invasion" there were promo's for next week's "Lost" episode ... which as said is what they are going for since these are the shows that are keeping ABC alive ...

yeah, ABC hasnt done much about the promotion for Alias this year ... which is stupid, since thats the thing you need to do to keep people interested in the show ... ;)

Let me just point out this ... I was watching Night Stalker after Alias the past week, and during Night Stalker, which is definitely not a strong show for ABC they had about 3 commercials for "Lost" and about 2 for "Invasion" ... even during "Invasion" there were promo's for next week's "Lost" episode ... which as said is what they are going for since these are the shows that are keeping ABC alive ...
I also believe that ABC made a very bad choice by not helping to boost Alias' viewer numbers with promotions recently.

I'm glad that you brought up Invasion. Whenever I am watching ABC, that is the show that has some of the largest amounts of commercials airing. Also, Lost (not that I have anything against it) and Desperate Housewives also have a lot of commercials on ABC. Even though the commercials for these shows are sometimes very short, they still count as promotions.

Now that I think about it, why can't ABC make those same kinds of short commercials for Alias? That would probably be a very easy thing for them to do, and it would most likely boost the ratings for Alias too.

Hopefully ABC does something about this problem.

Thanks for your response, Alias_Gay.

-- Josh

Reports are Nightstalker is GONE. Cancelled. Kaput.

With the Alias "baby break" looming large, and ABC having NOTHING on Thursday nights Alias needs to anchor, MAYBE they will move it back to Wednesdays following Lost? I read that an all-new episode of Invasion did poor numbers when lead-in by a Lost rerun, so maybe ABC sees that Invasion isn't doing all that well either. Put Alias, Lost and Invasion on the same night. Lost at 8pm, Alias at 9pm and Invasion at 10pm or some other order. Alias is getting killed by Surivor mainly, and will continue to get dominated when American Idol returns. Putting it back on Wednesdays will help the show... OH, and ABC... how about some COMMERCIALS and PROMOS here and there? I see 15 Desperate Housewives and Lost and Invasion commercials, and maybe ONE Alias promo.

Reports are Nightstalker is GONE. Cancelled. Kaput.

With the Alias "baby break" looming large, and ABC having NOTHING on Thursday nights Alias needs to anchor, MAYBE they will move it back to Wednesdays following Lost? I read that an all-new episode of Invasion did poor numbers when lead-in by a Lost rerun, so maybe ABC sees that Invasion isn't doing all that well either. Put Alias, Lost and Invasion on the same night. Lost at 8pm, Alias at 9pm and Invasion at 10pm or some other order. Alias is getting killed by Surivor mainly, and will continue to get dominated when American Idol returns. Putting it back on Wednesdays will help the show... OH, and ABC... how about some COMMERCIALS and PROMOS here and there? I see 15 Desperate Housewives and Lost and Invasion commercials, and maybe ONE Alias promo.
Having Night Stalker cancelled wouldn't have an effect on me, because it doesn't seem like a very interesting show to me anyway.

Also, getting Alias to be on the same night as Lost and Invasion would be a very difficult thing for ABC to do. Instead, they could switch Alias to Wednesday, and put Invasion on Thursday. That would be a more likely scenario, even though it's not likely that they will move any of these shows.

I am dreading the return of Amercian Idol. Not only do I not care for the show, it takes away many viewers from other shows that need and deserve them. In my opinion, they shouldn't even be allowed to have it on twice a week.

I can only hope that ABC does something about its promotions soon.

Thanks for your response, sennik.

-- Josh

well, now that ABC has cancelled "Night Stalker" ... and "Alias" will be gone for a couple of weeks, for JG's pregnancy and maternity leave ... ABC needs to find some other show that can help its thursday nights ... the main problem is CBS dominating the night ... ABC has not done well since summer nights, when anything they aired came in 2nd against NBC's rerun of its shows on thursday nights ... and now that NBC is airing new eppy's ABC slipped to # 3 for the night ...

so, what I think ABC will do ... since we are discussing this ... and the other one "Dancing with the Stars 2" will take "Alias" time-slot while they are in hiatus ... if it does better than "Alias" ("Alias" is averaging about 6.8 million viewers) and if "DwtS 2" averages a little better then "Alias" (lets say about 9 million viewers) ... most definitely, ABC will look to book anything else during that time-period ... and then "Alias" would come back after that, but will be going against CSI at 9pm ...

ABC is already thinking about next year, and it will not seem they would re-new the show due to the ratings the show is having ... or in this case not having ...

I would wanna see more promotions for the show too, but thinking as an ABC executive, which I am not ... they will just say ... why invest in commercials and promo's if the show is not coming back for another season ...

They might even decide to move "Invasion" to thursday nights next year as a lead-in to their new series at 9pm ... and try and find some show that can follow "Lost" and hold on to the viewers.

so, what I think ABC will do ... since we are discussing this ... and the other one "Dancing with the Stars 2" will take "Alias" time-slot while they are in hiatus ... if it does better than "Alias" ("Alias" is averaging about 6.8 million viewers) and if "DwtS 2" averages a little better then "Alias" (lets say about 9 million viewers) ... most definitely, ABC will look to book anything else during that time-period ... and then "Alias" would come back after that, but will be going against CSI at 9pm ...
I just have a few questions:

So your saying that after Alias comes back from its hiatus, it could start airing an hour later than usual?

In order for that to happen, Night Stalker would have to be cancelled. Do you know if it's officially cancelled yet?

Please clear those things up for me.

So, if Alias would get moved to an hour later (9/8c), it would have to face CSI:, the #1 rated show on TV. That would not be a very good way for Alias to return after its long break. Night Stalker is our proof, because it probably would do a lot better in a different timeslot.

As for what will happen to the other shows on ABC Wednesdays and Thursdays, I don't know.

More promotions are needed, and I can't understand ABC's position, because it's like they're giving up on Alias.

Thanks for your response, Alias_Gay.

-- Josh

No, I am not saying thats gonna happen ... but its likely a scenario ABC might be thinking on ... either way, "Alias" staying at 8pm, against "Survivor" hasn't help the show, and IF ABC decides to move it to 9pm, its still gonna get buried by CSI ... however ABC plans to do this ... things are not looking like we will get a 6th Season ...

and yes, "Night Stalker" has been officially cancelled, and not even the last two episodes, will get the chance to see the airwaves, since ABC has decided not to show these two episodes ...

ABC Says Good Night to 'Stalker'
Monday, November 14, 2005

ABC is turning out the lights on its freshman series "Night Stalker," pulling the plug after six episodes that struggled to find audiences up against TV's top-rated series, "CSI."
Show creator Frank Spotnitz ("The X-Files") announced the cancellation on his blog (Biglight.com/blog) Sunday (Nov. 13), and ABC confirmed Monday that the show was being pulled, effective this week. An expanded edition of "Primetime" will fill its 9 p.m. Thursday spot this week, with previously scheduled movies set for the two Thursdays after that.

"While I'm disappointed the series has come to an end, I am enormously grateful for the experience and the opportunity given me by the network and Touchstone Television," Spotnitz writes. After thanking the show's cast and crew, he adds, "It was a blast."

The news doesn't come as a big surprise -- "Night Stalker" was one of many series that have struggled on ABC's Thursday schedule in recent years. In its six weeks on the air it averaged just 5.2 million viewers and also struggled in the key adults 18-49 demographic.

Any show facing CBS' "CSI," which draws 28 million viewers each week, is fighting an uphill battle. But "Night Stalker," an update of the 1970s series that stars Stuart Townsend as ghoul-hunting reporter Carl Kolchak and Gabrielle Union as his skeptical colleague, couldn't break free from the pack behind NBC's "The Apprentice." Last week, it finished in a virtual tie with FOX's "Reunion" and only beat The WB's "Everwood" by a couple hundred thousand viewers.

Nine episodes of "Night Stalker" were filmed. At the moment, ABC has no plans to air the three that haven't been seen yet

No, I am not saying thats gonna happen ... but its likely a scenario ABC might be thinking on ... either way, "Alias" staying at 8pm, against "Survivor" hasn't help the show, and IF ABC decides to move it to 9pm, its still gonna get buried by CSI ... however ABC plans to do this ... things are not looking like we will get a 6th Season ...

and yes, "Night Stalker" has been officially cancelled, and not even the last two episodes, will get the chance to see the airwaves, since ABC has decided not to show these two episodes ...
My primary concern is for Alias to be able to finish off Season Five, whether it has good ratings or not. If ABC accepts another season after this one, I will be thrilled! If not, I'll be alright with that decision too. If moving Alias to a different day or time can boost its ratings, then ABC should go ahead and move it. I just don't want Alias to get cancelled before the end of this season!

Now that I know that Night Stalker is officially cancelled, I actually feel a little bad for their cast and crew. They had to go up against a very hard opponent (CSI:) in their timeslot, and they only got through six episodes before ABC pulled the show out. It is very unfortunate for all the people involved in the show. I never watched an episode of Night Stalker, but I still feel their pain.

Thanks for answering my questions, Alias_Gay.

-- Josh

Ok ... now with the changes in Alias schedule for december, I guess ABC is going to put up some more promotion/commercials out there ... ;)

See this topic: allalias.com -&nbspallalias Resources and Information.

So we get ... tonight's episode ... November 17th - Fait Accompli
then on November 24th, and December 1st ... no Alias ...
Then December 7th - Episode 8th - Bob - Wednesday at 10pm ...
then December 14th - Episode 9th - The Horizon - Wednesday at 10pm ...

Cant wait :woot:

Now ABC just needs to start the promotion for this change ... and maybe a definite change to have Alias after Lost every wedesday night ... cant wait to see where ABC will put Invasion next ... :woot: :woot: :woot:

Ok ... now with the changes in Alias schedule for december, I guess ABC is going to put up some more promotion/commercials out there ... ;)

Now ABC just needs to start the promotion for this change ... and maybe a definite change to have Alias after Lost every wedesday night ... cant wait to see where ABC will put Invasion next ... :woot: :woot: :woot:
This information is exciting on MANY levels!

In a way, ABC is getting a second chance to promote Alias for this season. One way they could effectively do that is to combine its promotions with Lost.

Can't wait to see what ABC will do with this new opportunity!

Thanks for your response (again), Alias_Gay.

-- Josh

WOW!! :D

Has everyone seen the commercials being aired for Alias recently?!

It's almost as if ABC wants Alias to go out with a bang, or at least until it goes on hiatus.

I've seen several commercials promoting Alias' new time and day, as well as a preview of "Bob" (05x08) which airs 12/7.

Its almost as though there are "more" Alias commercials because of the absense of new Lost episodes or something. Maybe ABC has nothing else to promote on Wednesdays right now.

I don't know why ABC did it, but I'm glad they did!

Please tell me what you think about this.

-- J<o>sh

Back