Alias Ends in May

ZAP 2 IT . COM

'Alias' Over in May

When listing the things they're thankful for on Thanksgiving, the cast and crew of "Alias" will probably skip "steady employment."
While it has been widely assumed that this season, the show's fifth, would be the ABC spy drama's last, the network made the official announcement on Wednesday that this May's finale will conclude the adventures of Sydney Bristow and friends.

"This news, and its timing, is a mixed-blessing," says Executive Producer Jeff Pinkner in a statement. "Though we're obviously very saddened to face the reality that 'Alias' is coming to an end, the lasting quality of every good story is determined by its conclusion -- this news gives us the freedom to end the series in the climactic way it deserves."

The original concept for "Alias" came to creator J.J. Abrams back when he was working on his college drama, "Felicity," for The WB. One year he brainstormed that wouldn't it "just rock" if the main character, a university student, was recruited by the CIA and then had to go off and save the world while keeping her college friends in the dark.
Even though he continued to call the premise "ludicrous," Abrams did think it had the potential to be a comic book or cartoon come to life on its own.

ABC agreed and the story of grad student/international Sydney Bristow -- whose life became even more complicated when the agency she worked for killed her fiance and she learned her father was also a secret agent -- was born.

Abrams and his team managed to rest the clock on the show a number of times, fearlessly scrapping storylines and setting the charcters' world on ear at the drop of a dime ... or for a coveted post-Super Bowl spot.

This season, with star Jennifer Garner slightly restrained from many physical stunts due to her real-life pregnancy, the show attempted to reinvent itself once again with the addition of Rachel Nichols and Balthazar Getty to the cast. And the network promises that the announcement of its demise is really more of an effort to give "Alias" the send-off it has earned.

"Right out of the box, 'Alias' attracted a cult following of fans that were completely invested in the show," says ABC Entertainment President Stephen McPherson. "'Alias' is not going to wind down as it comes to an end, it's going to rev up, and we're going to make it the event it deserves to be."

Wednesday, November 23, 2005
"Alias'' comes to an end
Charlie McCollum, 02:31 PM in Charlie McCollum, TV

A piece of TV news breaking late on the day before Thanksgiving:

"Alias','' the ABC spy drama that made a star of Jennifer Garner, will come to an end in May after five seasons. In making the announcement, network entertainment boss Stephen McPherson said the show "is not going to wind down as it comes to an end, it's going to rev up and we're going to make it the event it deserves to be.''

Created by J.J. Abrams ("Felicity,'' "Lost''), the series, which revolved around CIA agent Sydney Bristow (Garner), was never a huge hit but it developed a strong cult following and its star went from being almost totally unknown to the covers of magazines and the tabloids. Last season, it had its best year ever in terms of viewership but a move to Thursday nights in September did not work and its audience dropped against top competition.

After its next couple of episodes, "Alias'' will go on hiatus to cover Garner's maternity leave before resuming production early next year.

I am not surprised! But I should be greatful we get a full season.

But ABC are the fans that left should be "Thrilled"!!! :angry:

OMG :thud:

"Alias" will be done in May 2006 ... hopefully as promised, it will end with a BANG ... can't wait to see how they do this and what they have in store for us ... :woot:

Although I am sad for the cancellation of one great show ... I am thankfull for 5 WONDERFULL and AWESOME years ... :cheers:

:thud:

Cancellation. I hate that word. That means no more of Victor Garber :cry: Look at it this way, the show did last this long.

Anyway, will this site still be up when Alias end? :thinking: I hope so.

ZAP 2 IT . COM
And the network promises that the announcement of its demise is really more of an effort to give "Alias" the send-off it has earned.

"Right out of the box, 'Alias' attracted a cult following of fans that were completely invested in the show," says ABC Entertainment President Stephen McPherson. "'Alias' is not going to wind down as it comes to an end, it's going to rev up, and we're going to make it the event it deserves to be."

Here here. I am REALLY sad that Alias is ending. I was hoping for at least 6 seasons. It did A LOT better than Felicity did though. I'm glad they are at least doing this to let 'Alias' have a proper fare well:relieved:. but.....

IT BETTER BE THE BEST D*** FAREWELL EVER IN THE HISTORY OF TELIVISION AND VAUGHN BETTER COME BACK ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!! FOR THE END.

I hope they will have a little farewell on the DVDs. 😌 The series fanale better be good. It better be the best episode EVER in Alias history. but after over 100 episodes, they did a great job. I just hope Syd gets married to Vaughn before the end. they both deserve it. because Syd didn't get married, is what started the show. and Vaughn helped her through it, they both love each other, they deserve it. I hope there will be a movie. I doubt it. I don't know many TV shows that have movies.

Farewale Alias. Its been a great 5 years! :byesad:

hope this season inproves too! lol.

As much as we all liked to hope that ABC were happy with Alias' ratings on a Thursday, I think in the back of our minds we all kinda knew that this was the end anyway. Any interviews with anyone involved in the show said they were approaching this season as the last one, and even us fans sorta believed it was the end.

But still, because we are all fans, it still is a shock to actually face the idea that the show we all love will be going and not returning again. It will make all fans relish the episodes that we have yet to recieve and enjoy them to a degree we never have before, knowing there would be more episodes to come.

Its a sad thing when a show ends. For me, Alias has been the first show that I can say I have ever been addicted to. I've loved the show entirely, every season has been great and every episode was unique and interesting. The idea of tuning in every week got me totally excited like no other show ever. It will be like that for many of us I am sure.

Thankfully, we most of Season 5 left to enjoy before its gone And the announcement of course came at a time to give the writers plenty of time to hone the perfect ending for the show and send it out properlly like we had all always hope would happen, rather than be left with some awful cliffhanger that is never resolved.

I feel privledged to have been one of the many fans of this show. I doubt there is a more loyal fanbase for a show running right now; except perhaps Arrested Development fans, who ironically are facing cancellation as well; and the fans will remain fans long after the show is gone. I know I will be one of them...

For me, its time to find another show to invest my time in totally. I just wonder what life would be like without Alias, once its gone forever...

its gonna be a great final season ... and I am sticking around to see what the writers have in store for us ... :woot:

"Alias" till the end ... :cheers:

As everyone has pretty much said, this is sad but kind of expected. I hope the ending is AMAZING. It had better be.
And yes, VAUGHN had better be alive.

Omg. After May 2006, No more spydaddy? no more Sark? No more Irina?

I tell you what, I'll be watching those DVDs nonstop when this show ends.
Wait. i already almost do that anyway.

I'm proud to have been a fan of this show since the beginning, even though i just joined this site last year. ALIAS FOREVER! :cheers:

Omg. After May 2006, No more spydaddy? no more Sark? No more Irina?

I know how you feel. :cry: It's going to be hard to let go of our favorite characters and hot men on Alias. I hope the finale airs on my birthday (May 5) :D I'm not sure what day that's on. I don't have the next years calendar :lol: I wonder if it's going to be a 2 hour show :Ponder:. I think it should be. That would be cool if Alias makes it to the television history.

eta: I just signed back on Netscape and they had the sad news of Alias. :cry: I guess it's true. *sniffs* *sniffs*

Thanks for Alias. If it wasn't Alias. I wouldn't be talking to you all great people at allalias. :D

Back