Alias Gets Back to Basics

Azhria Lilu

Captain
SciFi.com has this new story. SLIGHT SPOILER WARNING!
J.J. Abrams, creator of ABC's SF spy drama Alias, told SCI FI Wire that the upcoming fourth season will refocus on Sydney Bristow's (Jennifer Garner) personal life and pick up from last year's cliffhanger, in which Sydney makes a shocking discovery about her father, played by Victor Garber. "Wait until you see what it is," Abrams said in an interview. "It's ... really cool. … We won't start in that moment. But what that moment was plays an enormous part in what this year is."

Abrams added, "I can tell you that the show in a way realigns all the characters and their relationships that were in the first season and a half or so," Abrams added in an interview. "And I think that you'll find that you'll get more of a sense of who Sydney is as a real person and less of ... Sydney in the black suit all the time. I mean, I always felt that Sydney at rest was Sydney in jeans and Sydney in sweat pants and hanging out at home. And that we'd see her sort of go to work. ... Season three to me was Sydney at rest ... in her suit, and it just felt like we lost her as a woman first. And I think that's the biggest change."

The fourth season may also feature the return of Will Tippin (Bradley Cooper), who was last seen in the middle of the third season. "We're talking to Bradley right now about coming back, and a couple of other people from the first season, too," Abrams said.

One person who definitely won't be back: Lena Olin, who played Sydney's duplicitous mother, Irina Derevko. "I'm very disappointed about that, too, because … she's so good," Abrams said. "And at the same time, [she] has no interest in returning. So I'm just depressed about that." But he added that he wouldn't recast the role. "I don't think I could. She's so good. I wouldn't want anyone else to play that part." Alias is currently shooting the third episode of the upcoming fourth season, which begins in January. The third-season DVD box set of Alias, meanwhile, hits store shelves on Sept. 7.

Back