Alias Languages and Accents

AHHH! Azalea! You did it again!! this is awesome! i just printed it out for the alias binder lol...ok i might be wrong...ill probably go check the episode to be sure....but at the geisha massage place in episode 2.7 "Counteragent"...didn't Sloane mouth Japanese to a lady there...but you can't hear him?...I'm not sure...but since you can't hear it it probably doesnt count...

SydB_JenG@Apr 15 2003 said:
ok i might be wrong...ill probably go check the episode to be sure....but at the geisha massage place in episode 2.7 "Counteragent"...didn't Sloane mouth Japanese to a lady there...but you can't hear him?...I'm not sure...but since you can't hear it it probably doesnt count...

You're right, he did speak Japanese, to Sydney also. I had that on my original list, but when I cut and pasted it to this, it got cut off somehow. Thanks for bringing it to my attention! :smiley:

And as for the Hebrew, I can't think of any time when Syd would have had an opportunity to speak it, but I only have 2 first season eps on tape, so I can't really check. If anybody finds it, I'll add it to the list.

SydB_JenG said:
I can check the episodes to see if she speaks Hebrew...but Vikki might already be checking it...
lol, and i did some checking not extensive, she doesnt speak it in the last three episodes of season one, thats all i had time to check!anyone can help though! ^_^

I want to know how you did it.

Most of the time it's obvious, but for the harder ones, I just judged by where they were when it was spoken and the sound of the language. I've studied foreign languages a lot, so I can usually tell different "branches" apart.

Some I'm still not 100% sure about. For example, in "Endgame", when Jack was talking to Elsa in the cell, he mentioned she had a trace of Ukrainian accent, and then proceeded to speak in another language with her, but was it Ukrainian, or Russian?

And when Sydney talked to the prison guard in "Passage Pt.2" in Kashmir, telling him she was new and her name was Amena, was she speaking Arabic or Hindi? I put Hindi because Kashmir is part of India, but I'm not sure.

Azalea said:
Some I'm still not 100% sure about. For example, in "Endgame", when Jack was talking to Elsa in the cell, he mentioned she had a trace of Ukrainian accent, and then proceeded to speak in another language with her, but was it Ukrainian, or Russian?
Russian and Ukrainian are extremely close, so that's really hard to tell. The people who taught me conversational Russian were both Ukrainian. I could understand what Jack said pretty well, but does that make it Russian rather than Ukrainian? I couldn't tell you for certain.
;)

Unfortunately, I've forgotten a lot of it! I don't have anyone to talk with in Russian.
:lol:

Back