Alias might be delayed til 2006

Alias might be delayed til 2006

Posted Jun 3, 2005, 1:46 PM ET by Bob Sassone
Filed under: Drama, ABC, Alias

Garner and AffleckIn news that will upset many Alias fans and delight other fans, Kristen over at E! Online (a must-read weekly column) is reporting that some of the suits at ABC didn't know of Jennifer Garner's pregnancy until after they renewed the show, and now they're not quite sure what to do.

garneraffleck.jpg

This is bad news because Alias fans are dying to know what the hell all that meant in the season cliffhanger (Vaughn isn't Vaughn? he's keeping a secret about what he knows about Syd? what will happen after the car crash?) and we want the show back in September. On the other hand, coming back in January like it did this past season might be a good thing, because we can go another 5 months without repeats.

Affleck, you see the trouble you've caused?

From http://www.tvsquad.com/2005/06/03/alias-mi...layed-til-2006/

Hmmm...I hadn't heard this. You know, I love Jennifer and all, but you'd think she'd have the decency to tell her employers if she was pregnant. It's rather rude to not.

I'm not sure how having it come back in January will help. If the reports are true then she's like 3-4 months along which will put the due date somewhere around November. And then she's going to need time off to recover, so that would at most give her a little time in December to start shooting.

It seems like it's going to be a problem whenever they decide to air it.

I HAD heard this. It doesn't effect me at all - as many of you would know because we complain so much, we haven't had a single epiosde of season four yet in Australia, so it would be mid-2006 for us regardless.

Hey there great to see another Aussie on the boards! I can get you the episodes of season 4 if you want. I get them sent over to me from a guy in the US.

I really want Alias back in September, but I can see the benefits of allowing it to return in January, the ratings for the last season were good weren't they? I think it helped not to be interrupted all the time by repeats.

Even though I don't like Ben, he and Jen deserve to have some time off to have their baby. Everyone deserves that! And I for one would rather Jen have time off than give a less than perfect performance on Alias.

awww man! that will suck! thats gonna make me hate Affleck even more! :angry: i can't hate Jen.... :P but GRRRRR! they can't go out with a cliffhanger like that and keep us waiting until January!! thats not fair!! and if they decided like a while back, i doubt it was Jen's fault, maybe she really didn't know, i doubt she would keep something like this from ABC on purpose :blink: but this whole situation sucks!!! just cuz of one pregnancy we have to wait 8 months instead of 4!!!! :confused: i'm happy for Jen, but i'll be really upset if this happens (n)

Jamison said:
Hmmm...I hadn't heard this.  You know, I love Jennifer and all, but you'd think she'd have the decency to tell her employers if she was pregnant.  It's rather rude to not.

I'm not sure how having it come back in January will help.  If the reports are true then she's like 3-4 months along which will put the due date somewhere around November.  And then she's going to need time off to recover, so that would at most give her a little time in December to start shooting.

It seems like it's going to be a problem whenever they decide to air it.
[post="1368650"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

actually, it can be done ... they just need to have a couple of episodes taped before her stomach starts showing ... and then after her recovery time, she can start filming, and have the other remaining episodes on schedule ... ;)

I just hope that ABC's monkeys can think better and move it back to wednesday nights after "lost" at 10pm ... ;)

They have many new shows on the cut-board, so why not start their thursday line-up with a new show ... do the same promotion art they did with "Desperate HouseWives" and "Lost" ... and they will have another hit ... like the way they have been promoting "dancing with the stars" ... which is now a huge hit for them (y) (y)

Well she better stay with Alias even after her baby, that's all I gotta say. Gillian Anderson did it, and is very close with her daughter. It's doable, even with long hours. If this screws up Alias, that'll be a huge blow to her. I don't wanna lose Sydney because of this.

Of course she should get time off for the baby, but she better come back to Alias. People do it all the time. People do a t.v. show and raise children.

Alias_Gay said:
actually, it can be done ... they just need to have a couple of episodes taped before her stomach starts showing ... and then after her recovery time, she can start filming, and have the other remaining episodes on schedule ... ;)
[post="1369139"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
According to photgraphs, her bump is now starting to show, which means she's at least 4 months. On top of that, she's filming a movie. It's not unheard for actors/actresses working double duty (tv show and a movie at the same time) however, I can't remember ever hearing one of them being pregnant. It's strenuous enough for JG to work on the show and a movie at the same time, but she's also allegedly pregnant. Not only will she be effected physically but emotionally as well.

sugababyboo said:
According to photgraphs, her bump is now starting to show, which means she's at least 4 months.  On top of that, she's filming a movie.  It's not unheard for actors/actresses working double duty (tv show and a movie at the same time) however, I can't remember ever hearing one of them being pregnant.  It's strenuous enough for JG to work on the show and a movie at the same time, but she's also allegedly pregnant.  Not only will she be effected physically but emotionally as well.
[post="1369154"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Yeah, I know what you mean ... ;)

hopefully ... something will be done and decided soon, so we don't have to struggle with this issue no more ... because after a certain period, women tend to get very tired and they need a lot of rest ... ;)

Marshall47 said:
Affleck, you see the trouble you've caused?
happynow said:
Damn Affleck.
[post="1369223"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
I suppose Ms Garner had no part in this decision? And just what century are we in? :lol:

I most certainly hope that Ms Garner was in on this decision because she is the one having the baby. -_-

I don't mind waiting if necessary. It should make for a better program, anyway. ;)
✌️

God, this is f***ed up. So many damn rumors about next year!!
I heard that Jen and Michael have 'so much tension' and that jen has 'cut out kissing scenes' because she doesnt want him on set.
I swear this rumor s*** better stop because I'm getting sick of not being able to know what the hell is true and what isn't. I HATE MEDIA :angry:

I think it could be good. It's not like it's gonna have that huge an effect on me anyway, I still havent seen any of S4.

Jai :rain:

Honestly, I think its good to see American fans sweat it out for a little longer. We always have to in Australia and I'm sure many other countries are the same with delays.

If nothing else it builds anticipation! :D

I really doubt that all of the "tension" on the set rumours are true. Do you guys listen to the commentaries on the DVD's?? They all just love each other and even after Jen and Michael's break up, they are all professional people. Their chemistry on screen is amazing, I can't imagine it being like that if they hated each other.

galaga-girl said:
I really doubt that all of the "tension" on the set rumours are true. Do you guys listen to the commentaries on the DVD's?? They all just love each other and even after Jen and Michael's break up, they are all professional people. Their chemistry on screen is amazing, I can't imagine it being like that if they hated each other.
[post="1371447"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

They are actors - they have to be professional when they are being filmed. Just because they act all friendly and sound like mates in commentaries and on-screen doesn't mean they actually are. And I doubt they would tell people if they are actually problems on set.

Leaving all rumors of personal life aside, as far as delaying the start of the show until January of 2006, I woudn't mind myself. It gives them more time to plan out what they want to do with the show. And I honestly think that Alias's ratings are probably better when the eps run one right after another instead of being all drug out over 9 months. The whole spread out season is kind of a fading format anyway, given the success of shows like American Idol that run nearly uninterrupted.

Although frankly, I'm not sure ratings matter for next season. This is purely my own speculation, but it seems to me that Garner is perfectly poised to seal her transition from TV shows to movies. She's generating a lot of hype, and she's made a couple movies, and she's proven that she can sustain that level of public interest, because she's been gradually building to it, instead of being some fad-of-the-month actress. She also seems to be in a serious relationship, she's having a baby, and she already expressed a desire to have her hours cut back, which resulted in her decrease in screen time for season 4. When you combine that with the a realistic look at the overall arc of the show from seasons 1-4, I think Alias is only due for one more season.

I want it to be a good one - and if that means waiting until 2006, so be it.

Back