Alias preview in Entertainment Weekly

V

verdantheart

Yes, I boldly braved spoilers to bring you this article from Entertainment Weekly. Spoilerish details hidden . . . ^_^ (Please discuss spoilers in the spoiler forum.)

~~~
Alias
ABC 9-10 PM
Starts Sept 28

SPOILER - PART OF A SCENE - HIGHLIGHT TO READ said:
"Where the hell was I the last two years? What the hell did you do to me?"

Jennifer Garner (a.k.a. CIA superspy Sydney Bristow) is whispering these words to Ron Rifkin (inscrutable baddie Arvin Sloane) on a Burbank soundstage. Our spook has just awoken from a very long, very mysterious nap. And she's pissed. Which may explain why she's got a letter opener against his throat. ~
~ And if we reveal any more, we'll lose a finger.

"How many cliff-size hangers have we seen?" says Garner with a chuckle as the camera reloads. "This one flips everything and sets up 100 more flips . . . . It's such a mind trip." She scrunches up her face. "I mean, what's JJ's deal?"

JJ's deal--and by JJ we mean JJ Abrams, Alias' creator/exec producer--is that once again he's tossed the guidebook to ABC's complex spy drama off the roof of an 88-story building. "Creating this show is like being Sydney," he opines. "You keep finding yourself in these incredibly crazy circumstances and you have to be as creative as you can to find your way out."

Mission accomplished. After unleashing a polarizing post-Super Bowl episode that abruptly altered the show's course, Abrams dropped another what-the-hell??? whopper for the second-season finale: Sydney passed out after a duel to the death with her roomie's evil double (who had knifed Syd's pal Will) and regained consciousness in Hong Kong, where her CIA handler/boyfriend, Vaughn (Michael Vartan), informed her that she'd been presumed dead for two years and that he, umm, yeah, married someone else. "If you gasped when you saw it, imagine what a sucker punch it was to those of us who have spent the last two years earning this relationship," says Garner, who, incidentally, has earned her own real-life relationship with costar Vartan. "Of course, JJ has thought it through 150,000 steps further than any of us have."

Try telling that to fans who felt Vaughn gave up too easily on Sydney--and let Vartan know it all summer. ~

MINOR SPOILER - HIGHLIGHT TO REVEAL said:
(In his defense, we'll learn that Miss Bristow's remains were ID'd two years prior.) ~
~ "Girls were like, 'How could you?'" says the actor. "It got to the point where I thought of having a T-shirt made that said: ~

AGAIN MINOR SPOILER AS ABOVE - HIGHLIGHT TO REVEAL said:
The DNA matched!" [ed note:  :lol: ]
To those wondering if Sydney's time twist means that Alias--which saw its numbers dip last season--is still searching for direction, Abrams insists he has a plan. "I've seen stories of people who are in comas and they wake up," he says, "but I'd never seen one where someone wakes up and literally where they've been is a mystery."

While we'll learn about at least one place Sydney's been-- ~

SPOILERS - DETAILS OF WHERE VARIOUS CHARACTERS WIND UP - HIGHLIGHT TO READ said:
in bed with Mulholland Drive's Justin Theroux--her future is no more stable than her past. Vaughn's wife, Lauren (Melissa George), is a National Security Council agent assigned to Sydney's division ("It's going to be incredibly awkward," says Vartan); an ominous organization called the Covenant (led by Djimon Hounsou) emerges; Sloane has turned over a new leaf (or has he?); and Irina (Lena Olin) resurfaces, along with Will (who survives and is now in the Witness Protection Program) and Evil Francie ("There will be a rematch," hints Abrams). ~
~ But Sydney's greatest danger could come courtesy of Garner herself. "I'm in the market for a big stunt," she says. "I want to hang from the bottom of a helicopter and just freak out. Let's kick it up a notch." Fans--and paramedics--are standing by.

--Dan Snierson

~~~
A very nice (& large, over 1/4 of the page) photo of Jennifer Garner accompanies the article. EW was kind, it was one of the featured returning shows, garnering (um, sorry about the pun) a full-page article.
;)

letter opener is her favorite weapon. she can kill AND open fan mail with it ;)

Love the spoilers!

lol, t-shirt.... haha! :lol:

agjell... nice joke you made there! :lol: multi processed woman..... lol

Irina_Derevko said:
he he he...................at the same time? :sideroll:
But reading the letter with the bloodstains is problematic . . .
^_^

Spoiler regarding fate of character ~ highlight to reveal said:
hmmm. i wonder what Will's new identity is under the Witness Protection program. any guesses?

[MOD Note: Sorry, this is still a spoiler, protecting for those who don't want to see even minor spoilers. Please discuss in the spoiler forum or protect. Let's wait to discuss this openly when the ep has aired. Thanks! ;) ~ vh]

Back